inFAMOUS: Second Son - a spectacular looking super hero exclusive (PS4) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 597
I think I'll be delaying getting this game until later this year when they have some kind of digital sale. I can't play it now anyway with my carpel tunnel issues. But if it shows up in a few months, for only $30, for the digital download, I will definitely buy it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Good points. I had Infamous 1 & 2 for the PS3. The 1st one was a great and unique experience but never finished either one.

I really want a PS4 but can't justify it right now without a trade in deal. MLB The Show will probably change all of that and full price won't matter, at least I hope so.
post #363 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post

So far, this thread is a total buzzkill... My brother who has played all day and almost completed the game already echoes the same "cool but not great or notable or repayable" just like Killzone comments.

I think the keypoint is digital only is a very bad idea. Enjoy a great game but don't own it with no out.

Not good. This is the last weekend to trade in an old console at GameStop for a decent price. You can get approx. $200 for a 360+Kinect+Accessories until end of day Sunday. $200 for a new PS4 is very tempting.

Did you mean to type re-playable?

Obviously KZ has re-playability since it has a solid MP. wink.gif

I liked Infamous 1 & 2 but will be waiting for sub $40 retail on this one after hearing how short it is (~8 hours).

I only lost $7.50 on Ryse, after trading in, over a few months so should be doable here as well.

Jason
post #364 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Just read its 12 hours to beat 17 + extras.

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=16606
post #365 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 85
Good catch Pimp! I tend to think of games as an asset that I own. Subliminal thoughts...

This game seems to be a perfect example of buy it now and have fun but get your money back later.

In general, the return on investment is 100% dependent on the quality and shelf-life of the game itself. Like you, I got all if not most of my money back on all next gen purchases so far

I always expect an immediate great return (game sucks or finished it already) on my investment at some point. I could care less but there is always the next great game coming out on some platform and it gets tiring and expensive after awhile.

Thanks to $40 brand new game sales at box stores, its not really a problem right now but DD only will ruin that eventually sadly.
post #366 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I miss gliding around on power lines frown.gif

Not as good as 1 or 2 so far. Not bad by all means, but it is missing some key elements that made 1/2 fun.
post #367 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post

FYI...For those picking up this game and own a Gold/Pulse Elite headset don't forget there was a custom audio mix announced for this game. I'm not home now so I can't check the headset companion app to see if it's available yet but I do remember this being mentioned.

On a related note, make sure to change your audio options when you get a chance (the first playable section I believe is when you can pause and adjust settings). The game defaults to TV Speakers mode, thus compressing the hell out of the audio. I selected the Home Theater option.

As for the game, I'm loving it so far. Played for about 2 hours. I did buy the digital version and have no issues with not being able to resell the game. I also don't get how a game that gets an 7-8/10 is suddenly a non-buy. I'd certainly rate this above Killzone so far. We'll see if it lasts.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #368 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

There are some things I miss from the other games but its solid so far.
post #369 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Well, the meme about no shadows was correct. Not every light source will cast a shadow and water reflections are static, Delsin won't show up in them. So far those are the only visual kinks in an otherwise gorgeous game.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #370 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

I also don't get how a game that gets an 7-8/10 is suddenly a non-buy.

Dude we are owed better than 7 and 8's haven't you read the comments?
post #371 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Lighting is fantastic! The raindrops in puddles looks great. The only thing that kind of sucks is the dimming effect when you fire off your powers. Makes my TV dark. My only other complaint is the camera going wonky at times when your in combat. It sucks to stare at a pillar when your trying to shoot someone.

Meant to add that I kind of miss Zeke from the other games. He was a nutball but amusing.
post #372 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I haven't decided which power I like most. Neon is pretty awesome. The lighting effects are really good. Yeah Zeke was awesome.

XBox Live : Dash525
PSN ID : Dash525
post #373 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 526
They really need to patch in an option to turn off the HUD and target. Is that damn star/bird patch really needed to sit in the corner of the display at all times.
post #374 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

They really need to patch in an option to turn off the HUD and target. Is that damn star/bird patch really needed to sit in the corner of the display at all times.

I agree. Get rid of the damn bird.

I have only played a little bit but I have enjoyed every minute. The visuals take it to the next level IMO. I have noticed the lack of reflections in the puddles. That's the only flaw so far. I bet if the game wasn't so beautiful, we wouldn't be looking In puddles for our reflections to begin with.

This is the best looking game I have played on PS4 or Xbone. 60 fps wouldnt make any difference here IMO. The game runs super smooth.
freemeat likes this.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #375 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my first Cole mission. Nearly cleared the entire first island before it came up. I saved the tall pointy thing until everything else was clear. Just have a couple areas to finish now. I really dig the Cole story, it ties in nicely. Guess I'm about halfway done. The powers do come fast. Shard collection isn't bad at all. Not too many fly.
post #376 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

I agree. Get rid of the damn bird.

I have only played a little bit but I have enjoyed every minute. The visuals take it to the next level IMO. I have noticed the lack of reflections in the puddles. That's the only flaw so far. I bet if the game wasn't so beautiful, we wouldn't be looking In puddles for our reflections to begin with.

This is the best looking game I have played on PS4 or Xbone. 60 fps wouldnt make any difference here IMO. The game runs super smooth.

Yeah it is very smooth. Once again the screenshots and videos don't do this game justice. Simply gorgeous! The gameplay is great as well. I never got into the first two but This game is a blast.
post #377 of 736 Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Well, the meme about no shadows was correct. Not every light source will cast a shadow and water reflections are static, Delsin won't show up in them. So far those are the only visual kinks in an otherwise gorgeous game.

Nothing active reflects in the water or mirrors/glass. Not Delsin or other people, cars, etc.. I'm assuming its to save frame rate. Not that big a deal but it sure would have looked cool and it would have increased the immersion factor a couple fold.
post #378 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Nothing active reflects in the water or mirrors/glass. Not Delsin or other people, cars, etc.. I'm assuming its to save frame rate. Not that big a deal but it sure would have looked cool and it would have increased the immersion factor a couple fold.

Yeah, I noticed the lack of glass reflection after I made that post. Oddly, some npcs do reflect in puddles as does Delsin, but only at odd angles in certain areas.

Some light sources cast shadows, others don't. There is pop in, but it isn't bad. Framerate isn't perfectly locked, but it holds up better than I thought it would. (Autosaving plus effect heavy combat can get it to single digits for a few seconds. Go after a mobile command center right after spray painting something, that is how I caused it)

Enough of the technical nit picking, so far I am having a lot of fun with it. Getting around is already way easier than it ever was in the previous games (double air dash plus vent rockets is way better than electric wires) I miss Cole's force push, Delsin lacks a crowd clearer early on, good thing he is very mobile. A way to launch into the air that doesn't require a car would be nice, not every building has a vent...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #379 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Well i haven't had this much fun in Seattle in a long time! Can't explain why but I am wanting to complete all the side missions this first play thru. Liking the improved controls, dont feel like I am floating around all the time. Smoke dash + vents = FOOK YEA!!! Best decision to make travel easy from the start. Dislike the new shard collection method, but I do like that you can track them on the map this time. Spray painting is fun and a nice touch, tho the controls took a bit to understand.

Brad makes a good point about the default audio settings...change it!

It seems like that the parkour has been dialed down from the previous titles. Finding buildings to not be as scalable as before; guess that is the trade off for the vents (and I assume other powers). Combat is not challenging, but Delsin is just as squishy as Cole...rolleyes.gif ; def a 9/10 so far

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #380 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

On a related note, make sure to change your audio options when you get a chance (the first playable section I believe is when you can pause and adjust settings). The game defaults to TV Speakers mode, thus compressing the hell out of the audio. I selected the Home Theater option.

As for the game, I'm loving it so far. Played for about 2 hours. I did buy the digital version and have no issues with not being able to resell the game. I also don't get how a game that gets an 7-8/10 is suddenly a non-buy. I'd certainly rate this above Killzone so far. We'll see if it lasts.

I played using headphones over the audio out on the controller. The headphone preset tracks positions very well, it felt like sound was all around me most of the time. It centers around Delsin, so occasionally the position on screen is different from where the sound is coming from.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #381 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The Elites with the SS audio setting are bad@$$! Also I keep forgetting to mention, the camera is used for tagging! Its minor but nice to see all the goodies used.

Kind of comical, for all our nitpicking you don't see one person of other persuasion defend this game. Yet you attack a slightly over 720 game about poor graphics....just sayin. :sly:

I'm enjoying the comments so far. Yea some pop in or little slowdown when several thousand particles explode but everybody playing it is having fun!

What I find most interesting are the sheer amount of details. The neon signs, the tables with condiments, umbrellas over people moving down the street that get ditched when combat starts. The peoples gestures, facial expressions and movements. The minute details that are all there. I noticed a lot of the same things with MG. Gonna be a good generation, check that, greatness generation!

Edit: Delsin isn't as annoying as I thought he would be. Quite the opposite actually. When he gets a new power or sails through a vent he sounds excited! Showdowns are funny too.
post #382 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Barely had a chance to play yet, but so far I am loving it.

I am shocked how much better the voice acting and character modeling/animation are than the first two games.
post #383 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey does Delsin change as your alignment does? I'm good but he just seems happy rather than anything physical. I did like Coles changes through the story.
post #384 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

The Elites with the SS audio setting are bad@$$! Also I keep forgetting to mention, the camera is used for tagging! Its minor but nice to see all the goodies.

Yeah I was going to ask you how it sounded with your Elites. I watched a I:SS video that spoke only about the Golds. My little guy saved a few PSN cards he received during the holidays to specifically get this game. Since its digital, we can share. What is it about the custom mix that makes the sound stand out?

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
post #385 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

The Elites with the SS audio setting are bad@$$! Also I keep forgetting to mention, the camera is used for tagging! Its minor but nice to see all the goodies used.

Kind of comical, for all our nitpicking you don't see one person of other persuasion defend this game. Yet you attack a slightly over 720 game about poor graphics....just sayin. :sly:

I'm enjoying the comments so far. Yea some pop in or little slowdown when several thousand particles explode but everybody playing it is having fun!

What I find most interesting are the sheer amount of details. The neon signs, the tables with condiments, umbrellas over people moving down the street that get ditched when combat starts. The peoples gestures, facial expressions and movements. The minute details that are all there. I noticed a lot of the same things with MG. Gonna be a good generation, check that, greatness generation!

Edit: Delsin isn't as annoying as I thought he would be. Quite the opposite actually. When he gets a new power or sails through a vent he sounds excited! Showdowns are funny too.

Not sure if you're just talking about holding the controller sideways and moving the controller to move the spray can, but that's not using the camera. It does it for me and I don't have a camera.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #386 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the first tag I put on used the right stick but all others I hold right trigger and move the whole controller. So I'm assuming that's camera based. Its a minor detail but helps justify having one a little.

Yea sound is awesome! Not sure how much the profile helps, haven't played without it.

Just got neon and HOLY SHEEUT this ramps up a few notches on visual appeal! Wow that is some next gen right there.
post #387 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 636
why did they release this game on first weekend of the ncaa tourny??
post #388 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The neon karmic attack is...how you say, freaking sweet!
post #389 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I don't think I'm holding the controller sideways enough when I spray paint stuff. I can paint the upper parts just fine but when the stencil is at the bottom, either the system or my brain (likely my brain) is not interpreting it correctly. Luckily I don't have any other control issues.

In regards to the audio, make sure you turn it up if selecting the Home Theater mix. It can sound a bit flat at lower volumes, but if I adjust the volume on my receiver to match what I normally watch Blurays at, the punch is there. Not only is the dynamic range impressive, the sound design is top notch as well. I do, however, wish that your standard cinder attack or whatever it's called packed a little more punch sound-wise.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #390 of 736 Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 236
You guys are killing me, I really hope mine gets here today but, I'm really not expecting it until Monday. Can't wait to play.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Infamous , Infamous Second Son , Infamous Collection Playstation3 Game Sony , Infamous 2 Playstation3 Game Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page