inFAMOUS: Second Son - a spectacular looking super hero exclusive (PS4) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 736 Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Due out March 21, 2014.

Sucker Punch's next gen debut title:
Quote:
Delsin Rowe is the star of Second Son, and you probably know someone like him: A 24 year-old who is absolutely convinced he’s destined for greatness; though so far that greatness has managed to elude him. He grew up just outside Seattle, where his great – if accidental – calling comes crashing into his life. After rescuing occupants from a fiery bus wreck, he discovers that he suddenly has the ability to direct, manipulate and even transform into… Smoke. Could he have absorbed this power from one of the passengers he pulled from the wreckage?

Setting the scene: It’s been seven years since the Cole McGrath episodes and the world has clearly changed. Anyone showing signs of being a so-called “bio-terrorist” is immediately handed over to the Department of Unified Protection (DUP) — a government agency created to ensure there is never a repeat of the catastrophic events of Empire City and New Marais. So Delsin, who has never been particularly respectful of authority, finds himself caught in the DUP dragnet – And decides he’s not going to go quietly.

Along the way, Delsin is going to ask questions that are not just relevant to the world of Second Son – but to the world we all live in today. A world where we are often instructed to surrender our freedoms to help improve our security. Ben Franklin once wrote “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Is he right?

As you play Second Son, you’ll explore lots of Seattle’s familiar landmarks. As with all games in this series, the path the gameplay and story take will depend on the decisions you make along the way. Of course, we are creating all these characters and locations at a remarkable level of detail – made possible by PS4. In fact, this trailer was produced in-house using our game engine – can you tell we’re having fun with the new GPU, tools, and our new VFX system?

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 736 Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

More details revealed, summarized at NeoGAF:
Quote:
inFamous: Second Son was one of a number of PlayStation 4 titles unveiled during the console’s announcement event in February. Although Sony has already shown a debut trailer, details have been mostly kept under wraps – until now.

The latest issue of Game Informer contains a blowout of inFamous: Second Son through a 10-page cover story. We’ve rounded up some information from the magazine below, but you can find even more content – including screenshots – in the publication’s June 2013 release.

- Conduits now referred to as bioterrorists
- New area of government keeps track of the conduits: Department of Unified Protection
- Condits have been identified, holding them without trial in containment facilities
- Department of Unified Protection shows its power during an operation that doesn’t go as planned in Seattle
- Transport vehicle crashes and the conduits escape
- DUP sets up roadblocks and won’t let anyone enter/leave
- Condits have been identified, holding them without trial in containment facilities
- Department of Unified Protection shows its power during an operation that doesn’t go as planned in Seattle
- Transport vehicle crashes and the conduits escape
- DUP sets up roadblocks and won’t let anyone enter/leave
- Lots of security systems are sent out and Seattle is turned into something reminisint of an airport
- There are elevated walkways with search-lights and security cameras as well as checkpoints and scanners
- Game has parallels to post-9/11 America setting
- Security vs. freedom theme
- DUP is like the TSA

DUP guards

- DUP guards feature behavior similar to that of SWAT teams/trained military police
- Others have a seemingly supernatural ability to shield themselves and move around quickly
- Sucker Punch won’t elaborate on this further

Protagonist

- Stars 24-year-old Native American Delsin Rowe
- Delsin is the artistic type with a chip on his soldier
- Fan of anti-authoritarian street art
- Likes tagging buildings with his own art
- Very much an average guy until the conduit-transport vehicle crashes
- Delsin tries to help those in the wreck, and learns that he’s been a conduit all along with dragging an injured conduit from the area
- Soon realizes that he can control smoke
- Natural power lets him absorb other conduits’ power
- Can use more than smoke power
- Delsin is excited about his power unlike Cole

Gameplay

- Delsin can take down different forward-operating bases run by the DUP around Seattle
- Can get through these areas with force, but eliminating security systems is more effective
- Smoke projectile at Delsin’s disposal
- Also can perform a smoke-dash maneuver somewhat like Nightcrawler
- Air ducts found all across Seattle
- Can use the ducts to get around or climb like Cole
- Another technique lets Delsin throw smoking fireballs
- When Delsin descends, he can perform a “move” like Cole’s thunder drop
- Forests act as the edge of the game world
- Another move: smoke cloud; immobilize enemies
- Can restock on smoke from chimneys, destroyed cars, and even tear gas canister
- Can also use Delsin’s chain as an alternative weapon
- Absorb smoke by pressing both thumbs down on the touchpad
- Touchpad can also be used to free conduits in cells
- Team wants to simply the controls; inFamous 2 actions required multiple button presses
- One moment of the demo lets players make a decision about killing a DUP officer or not
- Can switch between entire sets of power that complement each other

General

- Sucker Punch recreated the city’s feel instead of specific road layout
- Some info on touchpad usage - Infamous currently uses it to build up 'smoke power' in the player and for example, for flicking up to open up a compartment on a machine before tapping the trigger button to fire and destroy it.

post #3 of 736 Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Gameplay incoming!

inFamous was one of my favorite open world games this Gen. Looking like that won't stop next Gen!
post #4 of 736 Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Yeah I loved the inFamous games. I cannot wait for this game although I want to see how it connects to the previous games, if at all. It'd be a cool nod to see Cole referenced. I'm sure we'll get something. At least from the video we can gather he moves a lot like Cole so no need to relearn nuances of character movement.
post #5 of 736 Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I'm still a bit shell shocked that I'm going to have to wait till 2014. This was the single PS4 game that would truly justify a launch day purchase of a PS4. I mean, I'm not shocked the game is delayed, it's just really disappointing, because I'm just not that hyped on Killzone or DriveClub.

I hope Sony has something at Gamescon or TGS that is still going to somehow make the launch, cause I'm hurting for that one exclusive that will help me avoid a repeat of the weaksauce PS3 launch.
post #6 of 736 Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah I loved the inFamous games. I cannot wait for this game although I want to see how it connects to the previous games, if at all. It'd be a cool nod to see Cole referenced. I'm sure we'll get something. At least from the video we can gather he moves a lot like Cole so no need to relearn nuances of character movement.

It takes place 7-8 years after the second Infamous, I can only assume it is based off the Good Ending.

Not being a launch game really hurts, but that is extra dev time with final hardware, which is always a good thing.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #7 of 736 Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It takes place 7-8 years after the second Infamous, I can only assume it is based off the Good Ending.

Not being a launch game really hurts, but that is extra dev time with final hardware, which is always a good thing.

Seems he has evil powers though but maybe we're just being shown a variation as a demo since people like to see a badass. Also, yeah so far this would be the only game I'm really interested in had it been a launch game. As it stands now I might bide my time over with Drive Club.
post #8 of 736 Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Heh, I tried to stay away from the gameplay video so that I wouldn't be annoyed with inFamous 2 weaker tech as I finish up the last 40%. of the game, but I finally gave in.

That was spectacular! Sony should have made it their headline trailer at the conference! Instead we got a story-mode trailer and Assassin's Creed freeze glitches. It actually makes me more eager to finish i2 (a great, great game) so I'll be all caught up when iSS finally releases.

post #9 of 736 Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Gameplay looks great and I can't wait to get my hands on the game next year!

Just not crazy about the new character model. Cole will definitely be missed.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #10 of 736 Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be nice if they had a demo up at launch, it would take away some of the sting.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #11 of 736 Old 06-12-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I was reading that the smoke/fire power Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
is the first that you get
. From the looks of that vid, he seems to be more powerful overall and everything moves quicker. Both were needed changes as I always felt that Cole from 1 & 2, even near the end of games, wasn't "super" enough.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #12 of 736 Old 06-12-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

I was reading that the smoke/fire power Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
is the first that you get
. From the looks of that vid, he seems to be more powerful overall and everything moves quicker. Both were needed changes as I always felt that Cole from 1 & 2, even near the end of games, wasn't "super" enough.
Not sure I'd agree with that . It's been a while but I remember feeling pretty much unstoppable (not counting boss fights) by the end of both games.

I'm glad they've moved on from electricity powers, but it was the perfect conceit for limiting/recharging your powers in an urban setting. I hope the smoke stuff works as well.
post #13 of 736 Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Seems he has evil powers though but maybe we're just being shown a variation as a demo since people like to see a badass. Also, yeah so far this would be the only game I'm really interested in had it been a launch game. As it stands now I might bide my time over with Drive Club.
The talked to the infamous guys in a podcast a while back, and they said the universe would be set with the good ending. But they also hinted that there will still be choices for this character, so while we are going off the good ending from Infamous 2 (which I still need to finish), you can most likely create an evil character through this game.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #14 of 736 Old 06-22-2013, 03:54 PM

post #15 of 736 Old 06-23-2013, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a way to download a full 1080p, non bandwidth constrained version of the newest gameplay footage ? I've seen the videos on youtube, and they look really good, in spite of youtube videos have that washed out look, but man, i'd love to see like a full bandwidth version of the video with no fuzziness. I think this game is going to be jaw droppingly gorgeous once we actually see it running on a big plasma.
post #16 of 736 Old 06-23-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Try the video they have on the PSN, it is stuck at 720p but it still looks better than any of the youtube feeds.

They have a 720p feed of the press conference up as well which has every trailer shown during the event, but at a fairly low bitrate.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #17 of 736 Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Is there a way to download a full 1080p, non bandwidth constrained version of the newest gameplay footage ? I've seen the videos on youtube, and they look really good, in spite of youtube videos have that washed out look, but man, i'd love to see like a full bandwidth version of the video with no fuzziness. I think this game is going to be jaw droppingly gorgeous once we actually see it running on a big plasma.

Here's the full 1080P30 E3 "gameplay" trailer

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_infamous_second_son_e3_trailer-30188_en.html

Don't think there's any direct 1080P feed of the demo, but from what I've read they look the same. The end of the trailer is ripped right from the end of the demo when they showed the Icarus Bomb (?)
post #18 of 736 Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Try this excellent trailer out - pure HD gameplay from start to finish (though the sound doesn't work). Be sure to click HQ in the upper corner after you hit play.

I just finished i2 last night and wish I could hop on this sequel right away.

post #19 of 736 Old 06-23-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, this game looks really, really, really nice. February 2014 can't get here soon enough..
post #20 of 736 Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 168
It does look really nice. Looking forward to Q1 2014. If I had to nitpick anything about that video, it would be that the area the player was in seemed kind of sterile. Not a lot going on. The one thing I've always loved about the inFamous games is that the city is brimming with activity. Of course, that demo is likely an incomplete portion just to showcase the graphical fidelity. I'm sure the final product will have the same polish that the other games have.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #21 of 736 Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 AM

Some new screens were released:

post #22 of 736 Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I still want to see how this game connects to the previous games if at all. It'd be nice to see a Cole reference thrown in to acknowledge the heritage of the franchise.
post #23 of 736 Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 AM

I agree. But going in new narrative directions in the same universe can also be very good ideas.

Look at Silent Hill 1 and 2 for example. I think to often game Developers stick with their characters way too long, when they really should be exploring the universe they set up. I also creates demand for later going back to those characters.
post #24 of 736 Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

No doubt and frankly after 3 inFamous games (including Festival of Blood) I won't mind a change in direction. I mean it's in the same universe so it's not like we can't ever get a Cole reference and it allows them to flesh out new story ideas without having to be burdened with either living up to the past or staying within boundaries set by the previous games. So far so good and I can't wait to see more. Hopefully we can get a playable demo of some sorts this fall once the PS4 launches.
post #25 of 736 Old 07-18-2013, 09:32 AM

New making of Vid:
post #26 of 736 Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 525
I never really got into the Infamous games. I still have Infamous 2 sitting on my HDD from the PS+ freebie. I should give it another shot.
post #27 of 736 Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah it's a fun take on the open world concept. If you want to have a good time play Festival of Blood. Once you gain the bat flight ability it makes getting around the city much easier.
post #28 of 736 Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM

Suckerpunch dropped a few more on facebook.

That last one has me drooling. Especially spectacular when you realize were getting this out of launch, open world type games. Next gen sure is going to be a treat once it gets into full swing.

edit, uncompressed caps are even better: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_infamous_second_son_new_screens-14344_en.html#
post #29 of 736 Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

In the e3 trailer, you could see that they are using water to great effect. The location of Seattle is perfect. Puddles on the street, wet and dry areas. Sporadic rain fall. It's going to be awesome.

The main thing I liked from that e3 trailer was when he was running and you could see the parked cars, and that puddle of water. The puddle looked so good, and the car models looked really shiny and alive to me.
post #30 of 736 Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 PM

The facial animation is pretty darn good as well. Someones been taking notes from Naught Dog!

inf_ss_1_by_gifsandmore-d6d7jkx.gif

inf_ss_2_by_gifsandmore-d6daldi.gif
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Infamous , Infamous Second Son , Infamous Collection Playstation3 Game Sony , Infamous 2 Playstation3 Game Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page