Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
A PS4 launch title!

Quote:
Guerrilla was at the PlayStation Meeting earlier tonight to take the wraps off a brand new Killzone title for the PlayStation 4! To mark this exciting milestone, Game Director Steven ter Heide has prepared a few words.
Today we are happy we can finally show you what we have been working on.

It has been an amazing journey for us so far, being offered the opportunity to be a launch title for the new PlayStation, and the subsequent mild panic to figure out how to best handle all of that.

But being able to now share it with you is both a scary and proud moment. We are hoping you will like what we have created, and are happy to present you with the first glimpse of Killzone Shadow Fall.

The piece of live gameplay we presented at the PlayStation Meeting shows you a new world, a new situation and a new hero.

The game is set in a near future, thirty years after the events of Killzone 3. The world is a very different place; two rival factions known as the Helghast and the Vektans live side by side in a futuristic city, divided by a vast wall.

Tensions are high, and the cold war they are embroiled in is about to go hot. In the midst of this all stands a Shadow Marshal, you. The most special of the special forces, tasked with maintaining the delicate balance.

From responding to bold attacks, to quiet infiltrations or all out combat, you will be required to adapt and think on your feet as you have to face a variety of escalating events that could destroy your home world.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I guess I'm the only one who's a big fan of Killzone, but at least I'm happy smile.gif. I love the setup being 30 years after the end of Killzone 3.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Nope, I'm a huge fan too. Not the most original story per say, but they hit all the right notes and keep it interesting. I was a little put off at their backtracking and their feeling the need to chase another FPS franchise from KZ2-3 MP. You don't chase, you innovate, and they failed after offering something fresh with KZ2.

As for this, I'm a littler perplexed at the story / setting. 30 years after the war, but it appears on Vekta as a city / planet cut in two ala East and West Berlin? Wasn;t the story the Helgs left the planet originally after persecution long ago, only to return with their attack on it? But KZ1 was the ISA and Earth fleet driving them back, and KZ2 the counter attack on Helgan?

Color me confused on the setting. But it looks pretty sweet!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Nevermind. I found the videos. Just takes forever and a day for the 1080p version to load.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Killzone being played on the Fallon show:

Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a new article going over some of the improvements in the latest entry to the series. Firefights with 60+ enemies!
Quote:
Shadow Fall’s live demo showed a brighter, more colourful Killzone than we've seen before. This partly reflects the greater power at Guerrilla’s disposal and a subtle shift Guerrilla's approach to the series’ environments, says Van Der Leeuw. “One of the things we weren't able to do [before] is on this scale create this vibrant, living city and then in typical Killzone style, of course, we wanted to have it come under attack. We wanted to introduce a few things that are different.”

“One is a new conflict, where in the past we took inspiration from World War I and World War II type conflicts, this very much is a cold war setting, so you saw the city divided by this wall. It looks different, our take on how we wanted to progress the franchise going into PS4 and also the player’s character. You're now playing as a Shadow Marshall, part soldier, part spy. We wanted to really set the player up to now take on the powerful enemy properly.”

Studio director Hermen Hulst describes that setting, Vekta City, as the core of Killzone: Shadow Fall. “We have multiple environments, clearly, but this is a key part of it. We really liked the architecture of it. We certainly picked a setting that allowed us to show off things like what we can do with lighting and reflection and I guess that makes a difference. But most importantly, we just wanted to make something that was truly beautiful that shows off what our designers can do and what our artists can do.”

“When you have that contrast between this kind of beauty it shows you a world that truly is worth fighting for, and then you see that explosion and the nasty Helghast that arrive... I think that contrast is what we were after, to really juxtapose that nastiness with something that's so beautifully designed.”

Guerrilla says it has thought carefully about how Vekta functions, right down to the city's infrastructure. We ask whether the vast cityscape we saw flashing below us in the demo was part of the game, or just background scenery. “Well, you'll visit parts of the city, but it's not like an open-world city that you're flying over,” says Van Der Leeuw. “It is, in that case, made for that view and to give a sense of the world that you're in. But you'll visit parts of the city. I don't think we should go into too much detail on which parts you'll visit, because that might reveal a bit too much of the story. But you'll go there and at the same time, whilst we don't want to claim it's going to be an open-world type game, we should emphasise that the spaces are much larger and you will visit some of them at a later stage. There's a lot of space there.”

So does the game’s greater scope reflect greater ambition and shifting priorities at Guerrilla, or merely technological advancement? Van Der Leeuw says that “the drive and the reach for a larger environment has to do with more choice, more options, how you traverse being able to play a level in a different way, making it less corridor-y.”

Hulst, meanwhile, says it’s now much easier to build large environments than before. “It's not like it was un-doable, it just took such a huge amount of effort to do it at the detail level that we strive for,” he says.

“I think the last time we visited Vekta was in Killzone 1 and you see the difference in how much better an environment like this comes out on the next generation. It's enabling new stuff for us,” says Van Der Leeuw. “Climbing was not something we were able to do before. With the combat there's now more choice, you can climb up and take the battleground in before you go in, so we’re trying to make it more intelligent, so you prepare yourself before you go in. All these things we take into consideration when designing a world.”

Hulst confirms to us that the demo was running at 30fps, before Van Der Leeuw elaborates on how Guerrilla is shifting all of that power inside PS4 around. “I think we were running on all the different cores for all the different systems, including AI and gameplay which we've never done before. We've never utilised the CPU power we’ve had like this. We had about sixty guys running around in the demo which is far over what we've been able to do before – that's about three or four times more.”

“Animation networking quality was much higher, I think it's just basically been proven that the amount of time it takes AI programmers to get their code up and running in parallel is so much easier that it just enables us to do much more. Of course we were optimising towards 30fps, making sure we didn't drop a frame – or that we dropped a few frames but not very many – basically just making sure it ran smooth. And this is a launch title, we've just got new hardware and we weren't using some of the hardware acceleration for stuff like audio at the time we did the demo, which we have now done. So I think there's a lot more left in the system.”

“I think we're stretching and upping in all of these areas and there are still trade-offs, but the trade-offs aren't as constrained as what they were before,” adds Hulst. "That's what I believe really creates a more compelling gameplay experience – you saw some games on current gen that had a lot of people on the screen, but in combination with the animation and the fidelity and the responsiveness, everything together, that will create that vibrant world. It's that believable world that we're after.”

Old 04-30-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The game looks pretty good but only 30fps is pretty disappointing for a next-gen game.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

As I've said before, expecting a 60fps standard in modern 3D consoles is a dream that will not come true.

There are always new whizz-bang effects and graphic enhancements that developers will be trying to add to their games, and since the masses are fine with 30 fps, then 60 fps will be sacrificed for other improvements more often than not. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

Of course we will see some 60 fps games, and I don't mind a drop to 720P to achieve it. However, it will not be the standard.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm OK with 30 as long as the game looks really good and it doesn't regularly dip below 30. I care more about resolution - native 1080p with no up scaling.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post

I'm OK with 30 as long as the game looks really good and it doesn't regularly dip below 30. I care more about resolution - native 1080p with no up scaling.
I said this exact thing somewhere else. Give us 1080p, and never let your game drop below 30fps and I will be content.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

Old 04-30-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I said this exact thing somewhere else. Give us 1080p, and never let your game drop below 30fps and I will be content.

Honestly, I'd like the option to render natively at 720 if it means 60FPS locked too . Options are always better, right?

They still have a long ways to go to get to it running on an actual PS4. Things may change yet.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Honestly, I'd like the option to render natively at 720 if it means 60FPS locked too . Options are always better, right?

They still have a long ways to go to get to it running on an actual PS4. Things may change yet.

If the trade off was 720p 60fps versus 1080p 30fps, I'd take 720p60fps every single time.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yup. 60 FPS should be mandatory for PS4.

500 gigs FTW.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

If the trade off was 720p 60fps versus 1080p 30fps, I'd take 720p60fps every single time.

Yup. Without exceptions.

They could definitely build in the option, anything that's a PC port needs to be able to scale anyway, and now that we're all on x86....you never know. Bioshock 1/2 had the option to unlock the framerate, the game actually ran quite a bit higher than 30 most of the time. It would just take a fee courageous devs to give you the option of 30/60, and if people really responded well, it could become a standard feature.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

And what do we do with the lazy developers who punk out with 720P @30fps?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

KZ:SF tech was revealed during a recent presentation by the developers.

Here is a link to info slides chock full of technical details about the game, and below is a video showing off the implementation of effects and special techniques.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I always get dizzy with Killzone games, so, maybe next life I´ll play them rolleyes.gif
Old 05-16-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

KZ:SF tech was revealed during a recent presentation by the developers.

Here is a link to info slides chock full of technical details about the game, and below is a video showing off the implementation of effects and special techniques.
Not happy at all about the 30 fps. I thought it would take a few years before devs started using that trick. Hopefully DICE doesn't follow suit with BF4.

500 gigs FTW.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 PM

It is funny they basically admit that their 10K PS3 models don't look much worse than their 40K PS4 ones in engine. So why go with 40K when you could make due with less and free up resources?

Hopefully that in store for the future. There's plenty of tricks and good use of other tech besides model polycount that will make the GFX shine. Use it.

The volumetric lighting / fog towards the end is super sexy.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:

It is funny they basically admit that their 10K PS3 models don't look much worse than their 40K PS4 ones in engine. So why go with 40K when you could make due with less and free up resources?

Hopefully that in store for the future. There's plenty of tricks and good use of other tech besides model polycount that will make the GFX shine. Use it.

Its more of a "why not?" thing. The way I understand it, models for games are created at a very high poly count, and then they drop the detail from there, to suit the platform...same thing they do with textures basically. They probably just gave it a run with the higher poly models, and it didnt drag performance down...so why not? Theyre being very conservative targeting 30fps, without vsync it would probably run much higher on average. The eurogamer analysis showed that it never dropped a single frame, so they've got plenty of headroom. Unless lowering the poly count allowed them to push a solid 60fps, there's no drawback to using them at 30fps.

Its still early days, the entire dev community needs to come up with completely new ideas to really push the hardware, for now, they're just going to turn up the dials on some basic things like this. The new techniques are definitely coming soon.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Keep in mind that the PS3 models in the link are being rendered with the PS4 KZ engine. The models don't look like that when run through the PS3's KZ engine.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Was KZ:Shadow Fall confirmed to be a day 1 PS4 launch title at E3 last night? I couldn't watch E3 and didn't find anything about it on various sites with E3 discussions.

I ask about day 1 because Killzone 2 and 3 were February releases, and February would still be in the "Launch Window" as I understand it. Not to mention possible delays.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 AM

Killzone, Knack, and Driveclub as far as I heard are release date games. inFamous:SS Q1.

My Hope? They ditch everything from KZ3 and go back to their KZ2 MP design. Everything except for the spawn capturing scout, which was pretty awesome over the the spawn grenades. Trying to be COD, just means you'll fail at being your own thing while failing to capture COD fans, because you are not.

Dedicated servers
Clan support
Detailed room setup
Locked Ranked games for clans
Proximity friendly and foe chat / Squad dedicated chat
Footprints and Jetpacks
Old 06-12-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
New live gameplay being streamed right now with dev commentary.

http://us.playstation.com/

It's the level we've already seen but a new demo of it.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Guess it's over already. Sorry.

::EDIT::
You can still catch it here if you go back to the 18 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfq1Cyt_YqI
Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 AM

New 21min walkthrough of the E3 Demo. Looking real nice.

Reeeeealy hoping they bump this one up to 1080P/60 instead of 30. Or at least allow forcing 720 to get to 60.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:16 PM

Just read that Killzone 2's lead MP designer Eric Boltjes is back with GG. Count me as even more excited!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This game might be my first attempt to seriously play vs. mode in a console shooter. I'll try and keep an open mind about it this gen even though I still dislike aiming with an analog stick over a mouse in this genre. Maybe Sony's improvements with the DS4 will help me tolerate it more.
americangunner likes this.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Introducing the OWL:

OWL_ma.jpg
Quote:
“The OWL is an advanced hovering attack drone used exclusively by the Shadow Marshals to give them all kinds of tactical abilities in the field. It attaches itself onto the Shadow Marshal’s suit until he gives it an order. When damaged, the OWL automatically returns and regenerates health until it receives an order again.”

“We wanted to give the player more control over buddies in our game, and we quickly gravitated towards utilizing our futuristic theme to create something very technologically advanced and also extremely useful in the field. It was important that it was easy to use in the fray of battle and have suitable abilities for every type of situation the game throws at you, on top of all the other abilities/weapons the Shadow Marshal has at his disposal.”

• The OWL has several modes you can access via the new PS4 Controller Touch Pad: Attack Mode, Zipline Mode, Stun Mode and Shield Mode.

• Attack Mode orders the OWL to move to an area and attack anyone within range; alternatively, you can tell it to attack a single enemy directly.

• Zipline Mode gets the OWL to fire a zipline, allowing the Shadow Marshal to traverse incredibly quickly from point A to B.

• Stun Mode is similar to Attack Mode, but lets the OWL use up its energy to create an area-of-effect shock blast that turns off all nearby electronics and stuns humanoid enemies within range.

• Lastly, Shield Mode creates an energy shield right in front of the Shadow Marshal, allowing bullets/projectiles to pass through from his POV but stopping bullets coming in from the other side.

Tags
Killzone Shadow Fall