AVS Forum banner

DriveClub (PS4)

72K views 3K replies 113 participants last post by  hockeynut 
#1 ·
*** UPDATE ***

This game has been delayed. Instead of a launch release it is due out early 2014.
Quote:
Today at Sony's PlayStation Meeting 2013, Matt Southern from Evolution Studios took the stage to announce the development of Drive Club. Known primarily for the WRC series and the MotorStorm franchise (both PlayStation console/handheld exclusives), Evolution's new game will focus on the social connectivity that Sony has placed at the core of its PlayStation 4 design philosophy.

Drive Club will encourage players to join clubs and engage in competition against other clubs, both synchronously and asynchronously. During the trailer, team data was shown on a tablet screen, underscoring the cross-platform functionality that Sony was eager to tout. Southern compared Drive Club's competitions to class-based first-person shooters, saying that there will be many ways to contribute to the team beyond simply winning races.

The trailer was composed largely of loving close-ups of various car parts as Southern waxed rhapsodic about all of the technical wizardry and exacting detail that Evolution has brought to bear on the car models (notably the Koenigsegg Agera R and the Hennessey Venom GT). Then there were numerous shots of the cars in action, highlighting a number of camera angles and sunny environments.

#327 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/300#post_24675722

I keep trying Forza and Gran Turismo games and always end up bored with them. I miss the old intense racing games like the older Burnouts with oncoming traffic and of course the king of offroad Motorstorm
I have hope that DriveClub will not feel like Forza or GT based off Motorstorm, though I still wish they would have just made a new Motorstorm game.

From what I have watched and read it is going to have a Project Gotham type feel to. I personally would,live since I owned and played PGR on the XB and X360.

#330 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/300#post_24683294

Has anything been said about how much it costs to upgrade from the free PS+ version to the full game?
I read on GAF that the French PS Blog said that it would cost 49.99 Euros to upgrade, which I thought would mean it will cost $49.99 here. However, new games are 69.99 Euros there (or 69,99 as they write) so I don't know how it would translate then. If it really is $49.99, then it would be better to buy the Blu-ray version for 59.99 and get the three months of Plus it comes with.

Checking the blog, I don't see anything about 49.99 Euros http://blog.fr.playstation.com/2014/04/30/plus-dinfos-sur-driveclub-par-le-game-director/

#331 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/300#post_24675394

Going by sales, Mario Kart trumps all. Best racing series ever.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) as long as there is no ruberband AI, that just kills an entry for me

Can you find total sales info on Mario Kart. Best I can come up wtih is around 55 million which would put it behind GT.

#332 ·
If they plan on charging $50 for the upgrade thats even more reason to be upset about the PS+.

#333 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy*  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/330#post_24684854

Can you find total sales info on Mario Kart. Best I can come up wtih is around 55 million which would put it behind GT.

Mario Kart Wii and DS have 70 million combined sales, Mario Kart 7 is at almost 20 million. All other entries are between 5-10 million. Mario Kart as a franchise has well over 100 million copies sold.

#335 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/330#post_24685912

IMHO you can't lump hand-held sales with console sales, it distorts things too much.

I have Mario Kart DS and it is probably one of my favorite games ever... way better than the wretched GameCube version.

The comparison was franchise sales totals, so it is valid. Gran Turismo has a PSP game that sold millions as well.

#337 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/330#post_24686223

Sure, it's valid, I just think it's misleading. I prefer to separately account for handheld / console.

In this case, Mario Kart DS apparently sold over 30 million, Gran Turismo PSP sold over 4 million, assuming what I found is accurate.

I agree with you but figured since this is the Driveclub thread, I'd leave it alone. If you remove the handheld sales I believe Mario Kart still wins, narrowly.

#338 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/300#post_24684111

I read on GAF that the French PS Blog said that it would cost 49.99 Euros to upgrade, which I thought would mean it will cost $49.99 here. However, new games are 69.99 Euros there (or 69,99 as they write) so I don't know how it would translate then. If it really is $49.99, then it would be better to buy the Blu-ray version for 59.99 and get the three months of Plus it comes with.

Checking the blog, I don't see anything about 49.99 Euros http://blog.fr.playstation.com/2014/04/30/plus-dinfos-sur-driveclub-par-le-game-director/

Thanks, I was hoping the upgrade would be around $15 dollars but it isn't looking like that right now.

#340 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/330#post_24686690

Mario Kart Wii moved 38 million alone, it has gained a ton of selling power in recent years. I wonder how it will do on the Wii U, it is pretty much Nintendo's last shot at a system seller.
I was shocked, had no idea Mario Kart Wii had sold so many units.

It can't sell that great on WiiU, just not enough hardware.

#341 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/330#post_24687016

I was shocked, had no idea Mario Kart Wii had sold so many units.

It can't sell that great on WiiU, just not enough hardware.

Mario Kart 7 was a big reason the 3DS recovered. The price drop barely did anything and Mario 3D Land hit at the same time giving the system a major boost.

#342 ·
Super Smash Brothers 4 won't be hurting the Wii U's chances this year as well. The franchise has never appealed to me primarily because I'm not a fan of the fighting genre, but it has grown to be almost as important for Nintendo as Mario Kart.

The only thing that might hold back it benefiting the install base more is the 3DS conversion of it that will also be released (Albeit with completely different stages according to Wikipedia). I assume that many a Smash Brothers fan will be playing this on the handheld instead of the console especially with the handheld version releasing first by several weeks.

#343 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy*  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/300#post_24675291

I have very limited time with Forza, but I don't think that claim is disputable. GT is the best racing franchise ever.

Edit: Realized T10 is the dev for Forza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/300#post_24675374

It is all subjective but I do not think GT is the best racing franchise ever. Maybe if going by sales that would be the case, but if sales were the determining factor than COD would be the best FPS which is clearly not true.

There are a lot of things that Forza does better than GT like lighting, physics, sounds and visuals which is pretty much every main category as far as I'm concerned. I have a hard time giving a game like GT the nob when the cars all sounds hollow and they don't have a REAL damage model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/300#post_24675394

Going by sales, Mario Kart trumps all. Best racing series ever.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) as long as there is no ruberband AI, that just kills an entry for me
If we're going by sales than McDonald's makes the best burgers which we know ain't true. Forza hands down is better than in almost every area than GT. The fact that GT car accidents has cars still bouncing off each other is nuts.

#344 ·
Gran Turismo offers far more variety though which isn't an element to underestimate in this style of game.

They've offered weather, night racing, and far more tracks in their latest iterations where as Turn 10 went backwards by a country mile with their latest release even in the area of the almighty car count (Which I think both emphasize too much compared to the race courses themselves... all the cars in the world don't mean much when you've raced the same track and same layout 30 times before during career mode).

Hopefully Polyphony addresses their weaknesses in areas like audio and inconsistent quality with their true next generation release without the major sacrifices in the area of the content itself that Turn 10 seemed to make to make launch (Although to their credit, two free new courses certainly helps and is a fine gesture).

#347 ·
That is pretty crappy. I doubt I'll ever stop PS+ but still that sucks. I'll just buy the retail disc anyways if I end up liking the PS+ content .

"This will give you access to all five locations, 55 tracks, 50 cars and all 50 tour events, as long as your PlayStation Plus subscription remains active."

55 tracks is high but depends on how similar they are. I guess for the type of environments they are building 5 isn't too bad but I would like more than that.

#349 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/300_100#post_24693209

Well, this is crap. Upgrade will cost $49.99 and if your plus sub lapses, you lose access to the game even though you paid for it.

On the plus side, we got the track and car numbers for the full game.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=814747

Will that be the first game to now allow a purchase to be kept if Plus lapses? Is it because it's an "upgrade" and not a discount? Seems like semantics to me. You paid for the game, you should keep it. That it's an upgrade and not a discount shouldn't matter. Weird.

#350 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/330#post_24693413

Will that be the first game to now allow a purchase to be kept if Plus lapses? Is it because it's an "upgrade" and not a discount? Seems like semantics to me. You paid for the game, you should keep it. That it's an upgrade and not a discount shouldn't matter. Weird.

I agree and although I don't plan on letting my PS+ expire anytime soon, I may not buy this just on principle if this is the case.

#351 ·
Seems almost like they're treating the upgrade as DLC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.