AVS Forum banner

DriveClub (PS4)

72K views 3K replies 113 participants last post by  hockeynut 
#1 ·
*** UPDATE ***

This game has been delayed. Instead of a launch release it is due out early 2014.
Quote:
Today at Sony's PlayStation Meeting 2013, Matt Southern from Evolution Studios took the stage to announce the development of Drive Club. Known primarily for the WRC series and the MotorStorm franchise (both PlayStation console/handheld exclusives), Evolution's new game will focus on the social connectivity that Sony has placed at the core of its PlayStation 4 design philosophy.

Drive Club will encourage players to join clubs and engage in competition against other clubs, both synchronously and asynchronously. During the trailer, team data was shown on a tablet screen, underscoring the cross-platform functionality that Sony was eager to tout. Southern compared Drive Club's competitions to class-based first-person shooters, saying that there will be many ways to contribute to the team beyond simply winning races.

The trailer was composed largely of loving close-ups of various car parts as Southern waxed rhapsodic about all of the technical wizardry and exacting detail that Evolution has brought to bear on the car models (notably the Koenigsegg Agera R and the Hennessey Venom GT). Then there were numerous shots of the cars in action, highlighting a number of camera angles and sunny environments.

#353 ·
This seems bass ackwards. Why would SCEA offer this game in such a confusing way? Just to offer a $10 discount?

Better that they just price the thing normally and offer a discount to Plus members, like with so many other new releases.

I really hope this is some guy that doesn't know what's going on, and it gets corrected to something that actually makes sense.

#355 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/330#post_24693641

It's basically another form of crappy DRM. Thankfully they are releasing a physical version.

I wonder if they'll even offer a non PS+ digital version (that isn't locked to your PS+ subscription) for those that hate getting off the couch?

There is a digital version for full price that works like all the other digital games you pay for. That's another reason the game-as-DLC version makes no sense.

#356 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/330#post_24693689

There is a digital version for full price that works like all the other digital games you pay for. That's another reason the game-as-DLC version makes no sense.

They could offer a $10 fix then maybe to complete the game. Sounds lame, but slightly better then just losing it if your subscription lapses.

#357 ·
If I play the PS+ version for a while, then buy a used copy of the game from Craigslist, will my progress from the PS+ version apply to the disc version? Normally I'd say theres no way to separate the two, but the PS+ version might have its own save file?

#358 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy*  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/350_50#post_24693820

If I play the PS+ version for a while, then buy a used copy of the game from Craigslist, will my progress from the PS+ version apply to the disc version? Normally I'd say theres no way to separate the two, but the PS+ version might have its own save file?

It might. It's the kind of dumb thing I sort of expect at this point.

#359 ·
I guess I'll get the free version first, then wait for a digital sale later to hopefully pick it up or $30 or $40. Of course if I try it out and really love it, I'll be paying $50 right away for the digital download.

#360 ·
Not a fan of the pricing and ps plus lapse wording. I don't plan on ever being without +, but if i was a day late or there was a hiccup I lose the game? The whole approach just leaves a bad taste.

Ill be going with the Plus version until project cars is released.

#366 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/300_100#post_24700052

Eh, the game is six months away. It won't matter in the big scheme of things.

Yeah I'm not sure who's idea it was but good thing they back pedaled. It would have back fired big time. Better to change now when no one will remember by launch than have to do a post launch 180.

#368 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/360#post_24700300

Yeah I'm not sure who's idea it was but good thing they back pedaled. It would have back fired big time. Better to change now when no one will remember by launch than have to do a post launch 180.
It's pretty clear, to me at least, it wasn't anyone's idea. They chose to release it as DLC, and as a side effect of that, you'd lose access if you let your PS+ lapse, apparently like DLC you buy for any other PS+ title. Obviously they didn't think through that this isn't like normal DLC where it's a small purchase added to a very large game, it's a lot more like buying a game after trying the demo. So, someone should have thought of that previously, absolutely.

It is still being released as DLC, they are just (somehow) exempting it from PS+ expiration if you purchased the DLC. It is interesting to know they have that kind of flexibility in their system (Sony).

#370 ·
Someone at SCE slapped the "common practice" on the Plus version of this game without realizing there's a difference here. Glad they paid attention when folks voiced a concern. Had this not changed I would have been concerned with the precedent going forward. Good show Sony.

#371 ·
Looks great. I hope there are time time scenarios with more ambient light, like full moon, etc. Where you'd still see more of the environment without just headlights making thigns visible. That one video has everything almost pitch black and unseeable without headlights.

#372 ·
I like how the drivers hand comes off of the wheel at the 4:28 mark when he hits the curb.

#375 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4/360#post_24700395

It's pretty clear, to me at least, it wasn't anyone's idea. They chose to release it as DLC, and as a side effect of that, you'd lose access if you let your PS+ lapse, apparently like DLC you buy for any other PS+ title. Obviously they didn't think through that this isn't like normal DLC where it's a small purchase added to a very large game, it's a lot more like buying a game after trying the demo. So, someone should have thought of that previously, absolutely.

It is still being released as DLC, they are just (somehow) exempting it from PS+ expiration if you purchased the DLC. It is interesting to know they have that kind of flexibility in their system (Sony).

Perhaps the real issue is that they don't have that kind of flexibility. Maybe it took them a couple of days to decide that they better have that option by the time this hits and allocated the resources to make that happen. ;D

Reactions: steve1022
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.