AVS Forum banner

DriveClub (PS4)

72K views 3K replies 113 participants last post by  hockeynut 
#1 ·
*** UPDATE ***

This game has been delayed. Instead of a launch release it is due out early 2014.
Quote:
Today at Sony's PlayStation Meeting 2013, Matt Southern from Evolution Studios took the stage to announce the development of Drive Club. Known primarily for the WRC series and the MotorStorm franchise (both PlayStation console/handheld exclusives), Evolution's new game will focus on the social connectivity that Sony has placed at the core of its PlayStation 4 design philosophy.

Drive Club will encourage players to join clubs and engage in competition against other clubs, both synchronously and asynchronously. During the trailer, team data was shown on a tablet screen, underscoring the cross-platform functionality that Sony was eager to tout. Southern compared Drive Club's competitions to class-based first-person shooters, saying that there will be many ways to contribute to the team beyond simply winning races.

The trailer was composed largely of loving close-ups of various car parts as Southern waxed rhapsodic about all of the technical wizardry and exacting detail that Evolution has brought to bear on the car models (notably the Koenigsegg Agera R and the Hennessey Venom GT). Then there were numerous shots of the cars in action, highlighting a number of camera angles and sunny environments.

#1,592 ·
Played some more of the new DLC last night. I'm beginning to hate the Vulcano, it's just terrible, makes me long for the Savage :(. It's pretty good in a straight line but corners like an arthritic bus. Then they put you in a race in Japan on that track with all of the switchbacks and decide to make it start to rain... who's idea was that? And where does he live? :p

I love a challenge but this is just not fun. Going to grind it out and then never look back.

Fortunately, most of the other DLC events are great fun. I spent a lot of time last night trying to win the final Sakura event with the X-Bow, but that last racetrack is brutal as the Atoms just keep zooming by and there is too much wide open straightaway for you to block them or get enough of a lead to keep them from passing. I will probably buckle and try with the Atom or BAC Mono, even though I enjoy the X-Bow more it just doesn't have enough straight-line speed to compete. Anyone who is finding the events too easy should try the X-Bow on that event, it's quite a challenge.

Also really enjoyed the drift event in Apex with the new Caterham. Put up a pretty good score... I know some of you guys are better drifters than me, let's see what you can do!

#1,593 ·
Also really enjoyed the drift event in Apex with the new Caterham. Put up a pretty good score... I know some of you guys are better drifters than me, let's see what you can do!

Not that far into the pack yet, but I did post a nice drift total against you in the Vette drift event :eek:;)

The new Mclaren 650S is a BEAST! Still trying to figure out the other new cars. Too soon to say if I like them or not, but it's safe to say that I suck driving them at this point!

#1,596 ·
Question on the Club Challenges, is the final points awarded based on the total cumulative points from each club member who participates in the event or does each racer only keep the score they contributed?

You seasoned vets are probably already well aware but I've just figured out that some of the bigger community challenges can reap pretty good rewards, like only placing in the top 130 of an event netted me something like 100K points! Not too damn shabby.

#1,598 ·
Question on the Club Challenges, is the final points awarded based on the total cumulative points from each club member who participates in the event or does each racer only keep the score they contributed?
I believe it is the latter.

You seasoned vets are probably already well aware but I've just figured out that some of the bigger community challenges can reap pretty good rewards, like only placing in the top 130 of an event netted me something like 100K points! Not too damn shabby.
Yep, that is definitely a nice incentive. Running tour races (multi-stage ones) again can also pay off handsomely. I've been going through the original tour again, since some of my times are sub-standard and some of my times never set in the first place, and I had forgotten just how many points you can rack up when running through some of those three-stage races.

Also it's fun to run through some of those again where you can pick your car, and try with the new cars. I ran Cayoosh Point reverse, I believe it was in the Legendary section, and tried every hyper once. It's pretty revealing about the capability of these cars, there is a vast difference between (for example) the new Enzo and either of the McLarens. (I'm making that comparison because all three are not the fastest but very stable/good at cornering). As predicted on GAF before the pack came out, the Enzo is really anemic in straight-line acceleration and it makes it difficult to compete against better hyper cars with it.

#1,613 ·
I wish this game allowed for driving aids to be turned off. This is one of the reasons why I don't really enjoy this game. It almost feels like I'm driving on rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,621 ·
I'm at like 305/495 I think. Spent some quality time on it this weekend and got to the final Ignition race, got part two of the second DLC opened and a few stars on Redline done. I did get in tune with drifting and knocked a few of those stars out. The faster cars still give me problems drifting but I'm getting there. Problem I have now is learning the Xbow and the Twin'Run which are both pieces of crap in handling. Think I have several stars with those two but their steering is awful (still better than that Lotus hunk of shyte)

#1,622 ·
Funny thing, I like all of those cars :). Basically as long as I can get the nose of the car around quickly I can deal with some sliding around.

My biggest problem with the X-bow (a bit) and the Twin'Run (a lot) is they are lacking in top-end speed compared to most of the rest of the class. Any race with a lot of straightaways and it becomes very difficult to keep the Atoms and Monos behind you.

#1,623 ·
Both the Xbow and Twin'run do the same things to me. Take the Xbow challenge in India. I'm fine, keeping up with first star car until the curly q section when the thing spins out and hits the wall. Twin'run is the same, a little too much curve and the steering locks and I'm the wall or spun out. Its the sharp curves I have issues with or well anything in the Twin'run. The TR turn radius is so short too.

Lol I actually like both cars because they are genuinely fun to drive aside from crashing. I just need to drive them a bit outside the stars on single events and learn them like i sstarted to do on the Atom.

#1,625 ·
Take the Xbow challenge in India. I'm fine, keeping up with first star car until the curly q section when the thing spins out and hits the wall.
I know exactly where you are talking about. Everything before that and everything after that I am just about balls out on, but 8 out 10 times I mess up second tight turn of the two and ruin my run.

Luckily that point is only a little over a minute into a 3 minute run so I just restart if I mess up there.

#1,636 ·
That is a really good read. While in theory I know most of the stuff that was mentioned, it is always nice to read it so I can comprehend it better and burn it to memory. If I could just burn these into my brain I can only imagine the times I could put down.

For instance, I know all they said about not having too much steering, braking, or accelerating inputs being done at the same time. While I know doing too much of 2 of 3 inputs is bad, I still have the tendency to smash full throttle when I am in a tough situation or continue to hard brake while turning.

From what I made it through so far, this one jumps out to me as we have been discussing the KTM and hairpins turns. I think the issue we have on that one India track is that the second hairpin turn is slightly downhill so that means we need to be putting very minimal throttle input until that car is straightened out…a little too much and around in circles you go.

SeeNoWeevil said:
A car coasting along with no inputs being applied will be decelerating. As mentioned above, a car slowing will 'lean' on its front tyres, increasing their grip and decreasing grip of the rear tyres. This isn't much of a concern in a typical road car as the suspension will be tuned to offer more rear-end grip than front (to prevent scary oversteer). In something designed for more cornering performance you'll find this shift in grip levels can cause the rear end to step out into oversteer. Suddenly jumping off the throttle will snap grip away from the rear tyres. A car that is at constant speed (neither accelerating or decelerating) is at its most stable, a small amount of throttle is required to keep a constant speed. This is particularly noticeable in the higher end race cars of Driveclub that have a tendency to push into oversteer. So while above I mentioned that you should always avoid using grip up with throttle while attempting to corner, it can be beneficial to keep a small amount of throttle as you turn to prevent the car from decelerating and leaning on it's front tyres creating oversteer. If you're having trouble with the more powerful race cars, this knowledge can be incredibly helpful. The KTM for example requires small amounts of throttle input when cornering to maintain stability. This effect is exaggerated when driving down inclines, the car leans on the front tyres and even small cornering inputs can result in the back end stepping out.

#1,630 · (Edited)
I played for about 5 or 6 hours this weekend. That's a lot for me; I love the "simcade" controls and it is definitely my favorite racing game since Burnout 3. It's funny (depressing?) finishing a race and seeing how everyone on your friends list beat you by X seconds, so there's always room for improvement. I'll probably get the season pass so I can play everything that they offer. How many ranking are there in the game? 40?

#1,637 ·
That's what struck me the most on the article was the tire talk and how tire slip works. From a physics and common sense perspective his explanation makes total sense but I've never seen it explained that way.

What I noticed before reading that article was how hard it is to corner with the throttle mashed...but you let off a little and now your turning easily. After reading the article it made complete sense that I was just overpowering what the tires could do.

It also hit me on drifting that smashing the throttle really just throws the car forward. I was thinking that it was like a burnout more or less but in an arc however in practice if you throttle too hard it propels the car forward at the angle your facing. Stupid me kept wondering why I ended up in the wall until I figured that part out. Now I'm doing much better on drifting. Based exclusively on throttle control you can get some nice scores. I was trying to toss brake in there too but I think throttle alone can work quite well.

#1,638 ·
What I noticed before reading that article was how hard it is to corner with the throttle mashed...but you let off a little and now your turning easily. After reading the article it made complete sense that I was just overpowering what the tires could do.
The toughest thing for me is that using a controller doing half inputs can be a little tricky...especially when you are trying to to find the sweet spot with steering inputs and throttle/braking inputs. I normally don't have an issue doing 1/2, 1/4, 1/3, 2/3, etc. on the brake or gas, but combining that with small steering inputs is tough and I would imagine a bit easier (i.e. natural feeling) with a wheel.

lordxar5 said:
It also hit me on drifting that smashing the throttle really just throws the car forward. I was thinking that it was like a burnout more or less but in an arc however in practice if you throttle too hard it propels the car forward at the angle your facing. Stupid me kept wondering why I ended up in the wall until I figured that part out. Now I'm doing much better on drifting. Based exclusively on throttle control you can get some nice scores. I was trying to toss brake in there too but I think throttle alone can work quite well.
For me, after the initial braking throttle control is far more important while drifting than braking. I would think once you get the drift going the only time you would use the brake is for small corrections or to save you from going into the wall. Other than that from what I have read and watched it is all about controlling the throttle.

#1,642 ·
Smigro you set some beastly times on those challenges Nexus sent out!

I was excited Monday, I managed to take 1st on a community drift challenge with quite a few players; sadly I found out yesterday I ended up in 2nd place. Still, had a lot of fun, I think I am starting to "get" drifting.

#1,646 ·
I just saw a video of a car doing 242mph on a mountain road. It's from a upcoming dlc. I remember there used to be a guy Harrison Arkansas that everyone would go to for built engines. He had a accident and died. He was going so fast he knocked down 4 telephone poles.

#1,649 ·
Thee was a COPS episode of some old geezer that was de-runk. He plowed through a utility pole and busted it into three pieces. So their trying to figure out who did it and followed all the vehicle fluids around the block to his house. His little Datsun or Nissan pickup was freakin' wrecked. So they knock on the door and this bleeding old guy comes out like what's going on? Was dam funny.

#1,653 ·
I've gotten to the point where I don't really do more than 15 minutes or so on any single challenge at a time, and usually it's a lot less. By that time I generally have my best run I'm going to get. So I'll go and do something else, maybe come back to it, maybe not. The only real exception is some tour events I've dug in and grinded but most of the time I can't/won't make myself do that on a challenge.

Generally speaking I tend to have my best run at a challenge within three attempts or so, and then it takes me maybe ten times as long to get a better time. Rule of thumb, not always applicable, etc.

#1,655 ·
I am the same way but sadly I torture myself by continually grinding...especially when I know I can post a better time but just keep messing up a turn or something.

Reactions: icelt and Spanglo
#1,660 ·
So, lots of cool stuff coming in update next week and track pack to follow next week. This one makes me sad though:

Reduces the drying time for rain splatter on the screen when in Chase Cam.
Anyone who drives cockpit view knows that it was already harder to drive in rain than the other views, this is going to make it even more of a disparity.

...and this one makes me laugh
Allows the 'Contender' and 'Unbeatable' Trophies to be unlocked even if the challenges expire when you are not online.
Because I just got it last night :D. 495/495 and all trophies, so I have a little over a week of easy living before the next two expansion packs come out.

Full info: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151897106&postcount=11176

#1,663 ·
So, lots of cool stuff coming in update next week and track pack to follow next week.

Full info: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151897106&postcount=11176
For those who can't get on gaf. I am loving that we can finally change the factory color of the car from the selection screen.

Evolution Studios said:
Update 1.11 (coming next week):

» Adds a new Multiplayer game mode: Team Time Trial.
» Adds a new track offering 2 variants: Kobago in Japan.
» All add-on Tours have new progress requirements: You need 8 Stars (previously 12) to progress to the second stage and 22 Stars (previously 27) to open up the final Championship.
» Adds the ability to choose from a collection of factory Paint Jobs during vehicle selection prior to an Event.
» Adds the option to enable the Rev Counter in cockpit view.
» Decreases the threshold on the manumatic downshift limiter to allow players to downshift earlier.
» Reduces the drying time for rain splatter on the screen when in Chase Cam.
» Implements ghosting under certain conditions in Multiplayer races to prevent track blocking.
» Allows the 'Contender' and 'Unbeatable' Trophies to be unlocked even if the challenges expire when you are not online.
» Includes a number of minor bug fixes, performance improvements and usability tweaks.

Update 1.11 Add-ons (coming to PlayStation®Store Feb 24-26):

» Adds support for the VUHL 05, coming to PlayStation®Store as a free download.
» Adds support for the DOWNFORCE Expansion Pack, coming to PlayStation®Store as a premium/Season Pass add-on.
» The Downforce Car Pack includes: Ferrari F50, Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Centennial Edition, SRT Viper GTS, Koenigsegg One:1 and Jaguar F-Type R Coupé.
» The Downforce Tour Pack includes 11 new Events and 5 new Trophies.
» Adds support for the Midnight Tour Pack, coming to PlayStation®Store as a premium/Season Pass add-on.
» The Midnight Tour Pack includes 11 new Events and 5 new Trophies.
» Adds support for 2 new livery packs, coming to PlayStation®Store as a premium/Season Pass add-on. Each Livery Pack contains 5 new livery patterns to customise your cars with.

What else is coming to DRIVECLUB?

» Server upgrades: to improve stability and performance for all current players and to enable the release of the PS+ Edition and DRIVECLUB companion app.
» Private lobbies: Development of Private Lobbies for Multiplayer is ongoing alongside development of server upgrades.
» Replays: are in the final stages of development and testing. It's likely that offline replays will come ahead of Multiplayer replays.
» Changes to drift scoring: to ensure that you are rewarded for momentum, control and staying on the track in drift zones.
» Lots more cars: We can't say what's coming just yet, but many of your most commonly requested cars and manufacturers are coming to DRIVECLUB, along with a few surprises.
» New ranks: because many of you are at Level 50 already.
» Lots more! Please keep sharing your feedback about DRIVECLUB with us to help the game continue to evolve around you.

Reactions: icelt
#1,661 · (Edited)
I like the reduced DLC star requirements. I'm having real trouble on Elements especially so having some of this magically open up will be nice. I'm close to 8 now on that one but I'm struggling mightily to get any more.

Edit: I've won Ignition and Sakura and am close to unlocking the final race on both Photo Finish and Apex but Redline and Elements are not close currently. Redline uses a bunch of cars like the Xbow that I haven't learned yet and Elements is well...hard.

Oh Rushy posted that there is double fame on MP races this weekend!

#1,662 · (Edited)
I wanted to make a poll but can't figure it out so I will just ask. With the pending team stuff in the near future I was inquiring about getting a club put together for the people that play the game on a regular basis? I am not sure about other clubs, but in mine HDSapper and myself are about the only ones to play regularly.

I am not sure if we would want to re-organize the clubs we have or just create a new one, that way we still have spots in our original clubs if you ever wanted to go back. I just think the team stuff will be kind of pointless unless you have a 6 man team that plays on the reg so though this may be a good idea.

Thoughts???

edit: fogot to add...FINALLY!!!

Reactions: icelt
#1,675 ·
I was thinking about the club situation the other day too. I'm like the only one playing right now. Hapi may get on occasionally but otherwise Harp is off playing something else, same with Lazy, haven't seen Crestwood online for a while and MPH says DC is too crazy and wont play. So I'm pretty much it but I mess around a lot anyway going after stars and challenges. We can do team stuff with mixed clubs I'm 99% sure.

On one hand I hate to leave my club. Were at like level 33 or so. Do not want to start fresh again. But it would be cool to have six functional members running club challenges. I love logging in to club points. Lately its been mostly just my challenge points though.

Re: Edit: FK you :)

#1,666 ·
Maybe few others will care about it, but I am jazzed about the adjustment that will be made to down-shifting. It was one of my toughest adjustments I made coming into DC from other racers, having to slow down to a certain speed before being allowed to go to a lower gear. I feel I'll be able to be a bit more aggressive hitting some turns with the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.