Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #91 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Later on in the full video you can see the effects of damage on the car. I'm not sure how extensive that can get.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
People have said that the barriers also take damage. Hopefully next gen is the end of hitting a bush and bouncing off like it was cast iron wall.
SmokenAshes likes this.
post #93 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 590
I'd much rather keep current gen graphics with adding full on destruction on environments, cars and other stuff then go super high res textures etc and not have things in the environment get damaged. I'm sure it is probably much easier to just make the games with higher graphical assets.

One thing would be to have a new Motorstorm where all the mud is permantely displaced each lapped, constantly able to be pushed aside. Smashing rocks to have them move over, broken down cars on the track.
post #94 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd much rather sacrifice some visual detail on a racer to hit 60fps. I'm guessing it will end up at 30fps.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/419746/driveclub-dev-debating-over-60fps-target/
Quote:
Driveclub developer Evolution Studios hopes to hit 60 frames-per-second with its next-gen racer, but may "never quite reach there".

That's according to Driveclub's art director Alex Perkins, who told Official PlayStation Magazine UK that there's an ongoing internal debate over whether or not frame rates should be sacrificed for extra graphical detail.

"There is a hell of a lot going on," he told OPM. "Increased visual fidelity does cost, there's no argument about it. The PlayStation 4 is very capable of doing both but we've gone for a fully dynamic environment, so you can go any time of day, anywhere on the planet, and it'll calculate the atmospheric density, whether you're up the top of a mountain or at sea level."

He adds, "So while we are aiming for sixty, there is always the chance that we'll never quite reach there."

Games like Gran Turismo on PS3 opted to target 60fps at the expense of environmental detail. But at Evolution Studios - the developer of the MotorStorm series - rich environments would seem to be somewhat a priority.

"If I had my way, I'd rather have more stuff going on at a prettier level and a lower frame rate, but that's where the arguments start," admits Perkins.

"The coders would rather have a higher frame rate, and put less stuff in. So it comes down to Col [Rodgers, game director]'s decision in the long run. Personally I'm quite happy with a 30 frames a second game, as long as it's rock solid at thirty, and being an art director I want it to look beautiful."
post #95 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
"If I had my way, I'd rather have more stuff going on at a prettier level and a lower frame rate, but that's where the arguments start," admits Perkins.

Yes please. I'll take 30fps with insane detail over 60fps with average detail. As a compromise though I'd take 720p @ 60fps with insane detail over 1080p @ 60fps with average detail. I want more going on in the environment. The frame rate to me, while nice, is secondary if the game packs enough graphical punch. rock solid 30fps with crazy detail should be more then acceptable and possible in my view.
freemeat likes this.
post #96 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yes please. I'll take 30fps with insane detail over 60fps with average detail. As a compromise though I'd take 720p @ 60fps with insane detail over 1080p @ 60fps with average detail. I want more going on in the environment. The frame rate to me, while nice, is secondary if the game packs enough graphical punch. rock solid 30fps with crazy detail should be more then acceptable and possible in my view.

I was just reading your post and about to post "How about 1080p 30fps or 720p at 60fps?" Though doubting it would as simple as that for it to work that way.

Then again I loved Motorstorm and that wasn't 60fps.
post #97 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I'd much rather sacrifice some visual detail on a racer to hit 60fps. I'm guessing it will end up at 30fps.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/419746/driveclub-dev-debating-over-60fps-target/

Yeah, same. If I wasn't getting it for free, I'd pretty much have scratched it off my list already. I'm just not buying 30fps games anymore.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #98 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I'm split myself. Honestly, I don't see why they can't do best of both worlds, especially if the target is 1080P. Just give an option in the menu to force a lower res of 720P60 vs 1080P30 default. GT5/6 actually allows this, but you need to do it through the PS3 settings, which is a PITA.

Interesting if that "atmospheric pressure" quip is just baloney, or if they're really adding in weather variable that effect racing. First I've heard about that, but it be awesome if altitude and temperature effected performance, with the ability to tune around such factors.
post #99 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The first thing I thought of is that perhaps the atmosphere thing would just be a waste of resources for very little gain for the gamers enjoyment. Might not take much in resources.
post #100 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I'm split myself. Honestly, I don't see why they can't do best of both worlds, especially if the target is 1080P. Just give an option in the menu to force a lower res of 720P60 vs 1080P30 default. GT5/6 actually allows this, but you need to do it through the PS3 settings, which is a PITA.

Interesting if that "atmospheric pressure" quip is just baloney, or if they're really adding in weather variable that effect racing. First I've heard about that, but it be awesome if altitude and temperature effected performance, with the ability to tune around such factors.

They could do that as long as the frame rate isn't CPU bound, but given how unfamiliar an 8-core architecture is to everyone, I'm betting that it is.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #101 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Yeah it's a tough one because the silky smooth framerate of 60fps is hard to ignore and going back and forth makes 30fps racing games immediately jerky. Then again out of sight out of mind and if I'm only playing one at a time it doesn't ultimately matter to me. I've had a blast with Forza Horizon and it's only 30fps. In fact I've had more fun with it than Forza 4 because of the immersion factor, something I hope Drive Club can provide.
post #102 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

There was at least one PS2 or maybe it was a PS1 game (3D fighting game I had) that had a setting for more graphical fidelity going on in the background with lower framerate versus higher framerate lesser background detail. And of course PC's have settings up the wazoo for games.
post #103 of 939 Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I vote for a 60fps option regardless of what it takes to make it work (i.e. lower rez vs. less SFX). But 30fps is not a deal breaker for me.

post #104 of 939 Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Played the game today at the SD Comic Con and was pretty disappointed with the controls of the game, graphics were above average but did not knock my socks off where it screamed next gen to me.I can confirm this game falls very much into the NFS and Burnout paradise type racer game genre.

I'll still download the free PS+ edition but doubt I'll spend much time playing the game.
post #105 of 939 Old 07-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

Played the game today at the SD Comic Con and was pretty disappointed with the controls of the game, graphics were above average but did not knock my socks off where it screamed next gen to me.I can confirm this game falls very much into the NFS and Burnout paradise type racer game genre.

I'll still download the free PS+ edition but doubt I'll spend much time playing the game.

You played a version which is 35% complete, the graphics will see a major upgrade, and as they figure out if the go to 60 fps, the game will feel smoother. Kind of question why they are letting the public play such incomplete build, but guess they are looking for feedback like yours. How did the controller feel ?

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #106 of 939 Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

I like the sound of Burnout/NFS type handling, but after seeing some of the trailers, the fact that the graphics didn't blow you away is quite surprising. Maybe Sony pulled another Killzone on us. But since the game is going to be a PS+ freebie, I guess it's not a big deal if the game isn't as amazing as they're portraying it to be.

But since you mentioned Burnout, I'm really hoping that happens sooner rather than later. For me, that's easily the best racing series of all time.

500 gigs FTW.
post #107 of 939 Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There are a few things to keep in mind about the ComicCon showing....

- They were using the same build they've shown since the announcement. A new build has been promised for GamesCom next month.
- Obviously it is still in beta; they haven't even figured out yet whether to max out the visuals or max out the frame rate.
- It's been said plenty of times, but the final game from Evolution Studios in the past has always looked a lot better than their betas.

I still think it looks pretty good as is, but it is to be expected that it's rough around the edges being a console launch title that is still undergoing a lot of work. Fortunately for many of us, PS+ will allow us to fully judge the final product at no charge. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

post #108 of 939 Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/aug/07/ps4-driveclub-future-game-visuals
Quote:

The mountain we're driving up is two kilometres high. In the distance, a patchy landscape of tea plantations and scrublands stretches out toward the horizon. Above us, bulbous clouds crawl by, scattering vast grey blankets of shadow.

The Audi R8 V10 weaves its way through snaking roads, the sun occasionally glinting across the windscreen, the crumbling surface almost palpable beneath the tyres. This is India, accurately and rather epically modelled into a racing game. At this height, at the very tip of the mountain range, the artists have had to think about the curvature of the Earth, and how this will affect sunlight and cloud patterns at the furthest reaches. This is where game visuals are going.

While we've known for months that DriveClub would take place in locations around the world, Evolution has only really showed Scotland so far – but while visiting the studio recently, we also caught glimpses of the impressive Canada and India environments. The art staff did what art staff do on racing games: they went on months of field trips to research architecture, geography and habitats; the difference is, the Evolution team seems to be trying to cram all of it into the game.

For each country, there are many miles of landscape, loaded with authentic local detail. Most of the circuits are inspired by real-life roads and the local street racing routes the researchers learned about. "All the detail we're putting in is equivalent to PC first-person shooters," says technical art director, Alex Perkins. "And then we're throwing a whole dynamic lighting system over the top."

As Perkins shows me the India circuit, he points out a drive along a river bed, through a valley of looming rock walls and out along a concrete overpass: "We've picked locations; and seasons that are indicative of the locations," he says. "I can think of three roads that we went along in this location that looked just like this; it's about capturing the soul of the roads and the networks". The seasonal element is important. Apparently, all the vegetation is accurate to the locations and the time of year – even the cloud movement is all real ("With summer clouds in the UK, the average lifespan is about eight minutes," Perkins points out nonchalantly at one point during the demo).

Everything is then lit via a true 24-hour day/night system, rather than a baked in sequence of pre-set lighting changes. "We've developed our own capture technique so the lighting in shadow, the lighting in direct sunlight and the way the car highlights fall off over distance – they all maintain proper energy conservation values," says Perkins. "We had to redesign our entire materials system – how we actually collect the information; it's much closer to the process you'd have on a film set for compositing CG elements into a live action image."

"None of the direct light or shade is faked anymore," says Perkins. "It's at the point where you can see things like dynamic lens flare when you look at the sun and you can see a bit of chromatic aberration because we're mimicking slightly cheaper film lenses to capture deliberate imperfections that will make the game more lifelike."

But there is more to it than simply making nice effects. It's about using environmental lighting to build atmosphere on a macro level. "One of the big things we're trying to do with the game, is to keep things as dynamic and changeable as possible," says Perkins. "The whole look and feel of the game changes dramatically based on the cloud covering – there's massive variation every time you play. And the light scatters properly, so when the clouds are injected into the scene, we get a real sense of scale."

Car models too surpass anything Evolution has done before. While Motorstorm vehicles maxed out at around 23,000 polys each, DriveClub models are hitting 250,000, with interiors alone requiring around 60,000. Everything is authentic, from the fully functional speed and rev dials on the dashboard to the materials on the seats. Principle vehicle artist Neil Massam tells me that manufacturers are now having to rethink their approval procedures for racing games because the level of detail is so high.

Kirkland is intrigued but reckons there's plenty of time to find that stuff. "You already have a lot of CPU power at your disposal," he says. "I think with many of the first generation PS4 titles, developers probably won't need to worry about it – they'll be able to get a lot out of parallelism across the CPU cores – but for teams who are a bit more ambitious, who want to do interesting things, it's just waiting there. We're doing some of that in DriveClub and I'm sure other guys will go further – and the platform guys will expose more of that functionality through the lifespan of the machine, unlocking more potential."

Hopefully we get a new demo at gamerscon that is closer to the earlier media they put out. They seem really proud of their technology engine, and there's no wonder they're shooting for 30FPS if they're building a global illumination engine off the bat for launch. Epic Games CUT GI from Unreal 4 Engine because they thought it was too resource intensive for next gen PC, let alone consoles and couldn't justify the performance hit. Might be the case here for those wanting 60FPS, but a rock steady 30FPS with GI might just work if the lighting is as amazing as they're making it out to be.
post #109 of 939 Old 08-16-2013, 05:28 PM

6tTg8su.png

Quote:
GamesTM #138, DriveClub preview: "impressive stability, running at a cool 60fps"

igCjbl03oYYaU.gif
post #110 of 939 Old 08-16-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

GamesTM screwed up. They have no idea what they are doing, apparently:
Quote:
Paul Rustchynsky ‏@Rushy33
@willydearborn The build that GamesTM played was running at 30fps. Whilst the Guardian article was based upon newer code than from E3

post #111 of 939 Old 08-16-2013, 08:16 PM

Funday Friday at their offices maybe?
post #112 of 939 Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Some new offscreen gameplay. Hoping for some high quality direct feed and hopefully with lots of cars in the mix.

Definitely spent of lot of effort on the environments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alb2LDVUUw4

Gamescon Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS1VSkbvWEg&hd=1

post #113 of 939 Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The devs are still targeting 60 fps. Maybe that's why they switched to a "launch window" release a few weeks back instead of launch day:
Quote:
When asked for an update on the frame rate at Gamescom, game director Col Rodgers told us that DriveClub is still “targeted 60 frames”.

“So the build that you’ll be seeing on the show floor at Gamescom is locked at 30 [FPS], added design director Paul Rustchynsky. “We’re still aiming towards [60 FPS]. We’re still in development. We’ve still got a few months to go.”

He continued: “We’ve built the physics systems and all the light systems so that they can cope with potentially any frame rate. We didn’t want to lock ourselves down early on. We wanted to give ourselves some flexibility with that in mind, so we’ve got the option potentially.”

post #114 of 939 Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I really hope they get 60fps locked down, I am looking forward to the Plus Edition to see if I want to buy the full game.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #115 of 939 Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 PM

These are the dev’s that seem to find add 20%+ to their visuals in the last month before release. I have no doubt they’ll get close to where they want to be, if not achieve it.

They’re also putting their money where their mouth is. They’re using a lot of next gen features right off the bat (GI, tessellation, advanced shaders, ect), setting the ground for refinement in the engine down the road for titles not yet thought of. That’s not the case for a lot of these cross generation, launch titles that are still trying to get a handle on making the transition, or flat out using last generation engine tech just dialed up to 11 under brute force.
post #116 of 939 Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Here is a link of the same video from the original Gamersyde, rather than Youtube very lossy compression

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_driveclub_gc_gameplay_1080p-30593_en.html

I wish someone would give a direct videocap rather than handicam though, as it is unable to show all the detail due to lack of dynamic range of the sensor.

But a big step up from their E3 playable build

I have no doubt in Evolution, we're going to get Gran Turismo photo mode if not CGI level graphics realtime and ingame in the final release.
post #117 of 939 Old 08-21-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The developer said they'd release a direct feed video after they get back from Gamescom.

post #118 of 939 Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
PlaystationAccess Interview from Gamescon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzycY3uX2uk
post #119 of 939 Old 08-22-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Finally, here is a direct feed video of DriveClub. It's on Facebook and only 720P so the quality isn't perfect, but better than nothing.

It is one beautiful looking racer.

post #120 of 939 Old 08-23-2013, 06:05 PM

Looking much better now. Still months away, so hopefully they can keep the improvements coming and hit that 60FPS target.

5Cj7.gif

dcf7az27.gif

untitled-1rkszx.gif

I don't think I've ever seen the interior reflected on a windshield like that realistically, but it's the small things like it that wow.

Still finding it hard to believe it's 100% dynamic GI lighting.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page