AVS Forum banner

DriveClub (PS4)

72K views 3K replies 113 participants last post by  hockeynut 
#1 ·
*** UPDATE ***

This game has been delayed. Instead of a launch release it is due out early 2014.
Quote:
Today at Sony's PlayStation Meeting 2013, Matt Southern from Evolution Studios took the stage to announce the development of Drive Club. Known primarily for the WRC series and the MotorStorm franchise (both PlayStation console/handheld exclusives), Evolution's new game will focus on the social connectivity that Sony has placed at the core of its PlayStation 4 design philosophy.

Drive Club will encourage players to join clubs and engage in competition against other clubs, both synchronously and asynchronously. During the trailer, team data was shown on a tablet screen, underscoring the cross-platform functionality that Sony was eager to tout. Southern compared Drive Club's competitions to class-based first-person shooters, saying that there will be many ways to contribute to the team beyond simply winning races.

The trailer was composed largely of loving close-ups of various car parts as Southern waxed rhapsodic about all of the technical wizardry and exacting detail that Evolution has brought to bear on the car models (notably the Koenigsegg Agera R and the Hennessey Venom GT). Then there were numerous shots of the cars in action, highlighting a number of camera angles and sunny environments.

#2 ·
New details about the game summarized at NeoGAF :
Quote:
Play offline in single-player

- Also has a big online focus

- User-created race challenges encouraged

- Everything you do is tracked by a single profile in single-plaer

- With teams, accomplishments are funneled together into the larger success of the group

- Three-on-three team challenges included

- Create events based on different parameters: car type, track, time of day, weather, etc.

- Can make lengthy multi-stage events that take place over a number of days

- Participants can span in the thousands with hundreds of different teams

- Win smaller accolades to add team’s XP

- These include clocking the fastest lap, drifting 1,000 meters, going 0 to 60 the fastest

- Use apps outside of DriveClub to make challenges as well

- Spread accomplishments and media through social media chanels

- Evolution will be making its own season of league racing through weekly online race events

- Visuals and gameplay are equally important

- DualShock 4′s touchpad is used for menu navigation, for the most part

- Touchpad also being considered for cameras

- Not a simulation-based racer

- Damage cars take won’t determine how they handle

- Koenigsegg, Maserati, Pagani, Hennessey are represented

- Start off with slightly less glamorous cars

- Race and increase fame/funds to gain access to better cars

- More people will watch you race as well

- More cars will be added through DLC; will be “one of the biggest titles for Sony from a DLC perspective”

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4#post_23291817

New details about the game summarized at NeoGAF :

- Damage cars take won’t determine how they handle

Slightly disappointing. Hopefully they find some way to discourage using other cars for braking into corners, etc. Although if that's the way the game works then you have to exploit every advantage available to you if you want to win.

#6 ·
The attention to detail is astounding. If these guys and PD are NOT sharing assets then I will be surprised, because the detail is on obsessive level kinda like the GT5 guys.

Will be interested in the details on the gameplay and how the clubs/clans will work. Wheel compatibility list would be nice, hopefullt the Driving Force is supported for another gen.

#7 ·
This looks so sweet. Hope it lives up to the promise, seems to be exactly the kind of driving game I've been looking for.

Now, if only had some friends...

#11 ·
Considering Forza is Microsoft's response to Gran Turismo and that they're both simcades while this game is spoken about as an arcade racer from the little bit they've talked about so far, I don't see that.

Every time Sony published a new Gran Turismo since the original Forza has been a response to the Forza series just as Turn 10 responds to Polyphony. I imagine this is more a competitor for things like Project Gotham Racing (An arcade racing series with real cars and real environments that's rumored to be revived for the Xbox 720, perhaps with open world elements, and at one time a staple of the Xbox gaming world until bad luck and a few other factors saw PGR4 perform poorly and the developer close its doors in response) and the open world arcade racing genre that first appeared this generation and which this appears to fit into.

I view this as Sony's reply to open world racers. Particularly Forza Horizon and the Test Drive Unlimited series where despite being arcade racers they still have some semblance of reality present in their physics rather than the 100% pure arcade racing in games like Burnout Paradise, Need for Speed Most Wanted (2012), the Midnight Club series, etc. The social elements of this is also reminiscent of the atmosphere those developers were trying to create.

#14 ·
Not to be a hater, but I just wish they were making Motorstorm. I really absolutely loved the first motorstorm, and have enjoyed the 3D version of Pacific Rift. I haven' played enough of the 3rd game to really have an informed opinion, but I've really enjoyed the Motorstorm series. I guess it just wasn't selling well enough. Sim racers just don't interest me much.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4#post_23338886

Who knows? Motorstorm might be their alternate game in a year or two. And DC isn't exactly a sim game from the info we have. That'll still be the angle for Gran Turismo though.

I don't think it will be so good for Sony that Forza will be a launch title for Xbox One, while GT6 won't come out for PS4 until who knows when. Drive Club looks fun, but it's not a sim racer. I can't believe they'd expend all the effort it takes to make a game like GT6, and then have it release on PS3 during the PS4 launch window. IMO Sony is shooting themselves in the foot with this move.

#18 ·
There's absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. It's obviously a concern that the Forza franchise has seemingly overtaken Gran Turismo this generation, that the Xbox One will launch with a next generation Forza title, and that the Playstation 4 is presently awaiting the possibility down the road of an interim PS4 port of an upcoming PS3 release with a full fledged next generation GT title easily several years away at best

And it's particularly an issue with the convoluted and protracted development of the last game and the mixed reactions towards it presumably making people less likely to be patient this time around and possibly even turn some long-time fans of the GT formula into loyal Forza customers (Although in GT5's defense, it has sold extremely well and is very competitive if not the top seller of the franchise and on a platform with a significantly smaller install base than earlier Playstation consoles).

There's no harm in acknowledging the competition instead of pretending it doesn't exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4#post_23338808

Not to be a hater, but I just wish they were making Motorstorm. I really absolutely loved the first motorstorm, and have enjoyed the 3D version of Pacific Rift. I haven' played enough of the 3rd game to really have an informed opinion, but I've really enjoyed the Motorstorm series. I guess it just wasn't selling well enough. Sim racers just don't interest me much.

Hard to imagine one of the biggest exclusive franchises of the PS3 era disappearing anytime soon. I'm sure Motorstorm will be back.

If you haven't already, check out the exclusive PS2/PSP entry in the franchise. It's still hard to believe that a proper entry of the Motorstorm franchise was able to be done so well on last generation console hardware and a contemporary handheld. It's no slouch compared to its PS3 brethren.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4#post_23342862

It's obviously a concern that the Forza franchise has seemingly overtaken Gran Turismo this generation
Only if you read the American gaming press. And sales figures for GT5 are well beyond those of Forza 4 (by about 3 to 1). So I'm not sure what you mean. The folks who prefer Forza are mostly American car enthusiasts who prefer to park and show off their paint jobs rather than drive.

Don't get me wrong. GT has plenty of problems to solve. But it's silly to compare it to Forza. They're two completely different types of games. I enjoy both, but for totally different reasons.

Anyhow, Driveclub looks like a game much more in line with Forza. Those two games are the ones that will be going head-to-head, not GT and Forza.

#20 ·
And Forza 4 holds a higher review average, released a year later, remained at or close to original MSRP for longer than GT5 did (and is the still more expensive by $10-$15 compared to GT5 which can be had for very little these days even in rereleased XL form), received and surely sold a lot more DLC, and it will end with just two years as the top title in its franchise compared to at least three for Gran Turismo 5 if GT6 is actually on-time.

And it's also just one of three main Forza releases for the platform compared to a single release on the competition (Not counting the paid demo beforehand). And that said, I don't particular consider sales figures as the final barometer of performance anyways. And the impressions from the English videogaming press outside of the United States in areas like the UK makes me thing that the franchise is also held in high regard elsewhere where the Xbox 360 has sold well.

And as for the rest, it's nonsense. Suggesting that there's some great difference between Forza and Gran Turismo is fabrication or ignorance that shows that you've either never played one or both series. They're both simcades and Forza was created as a clone of the Gran Turismo franchise from day 1 and that's quite evident to anyone that has ever played one of the main Forza releases to this day. And it certainly has been a major competitor for Gran Turismo and in several ways has surpassed the series it was cloning. And they're both surely paying close attention to what the other is doing and take it into account with their own work even though I'm sure Polyphony and Turn 10 higher ups would never acknowledge that the other influences them.

The only part of the Forza franchise anything like Drive Club (from what we know about is so far which isn't a heck of a lot) is its spinoff, Forza Horizons. They're both open road, social oriented, arcade racers.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4#post_23340568

Take the console warz elsewhere please.

I just said I think Sony is making a misstep with their release strategy for GT5. I'll most likely be buying a PS4, and Drive Club is probably one of the launch titles I'll be picking up, but I'll be skipping GT6 until it hits PS4. It just seems like such a waste of a great franchise to release it on last-gen hardware during the next-gen hardware launch window. That just seems ludicrous to me. So yeah, nothing to do with console warz.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4#post_23345386

I just said I think Sony is making a misstep with their release strategy for GT5. I'll most likely be buying a PS4, and Drive Club is probably one of the launch titles I'll be picking up, but I'll be skipping GT6 until it hits PS4. It just seems like such a waste of a great franchise to release it on last-gen hardware during the next-gen hardware launch window. That just seems ludicrous to me. So yeah, nothing to do with console warz.

Well, Sony has always talked about their 10 year console lifespan plan. They're still selling units like hotcakes in countries not names USA. GTA is a huge seller worldwide.

I'm not surprised, and I won't be, when this sells very well and is supported over the next 2 years. Sony has had long term support and strategy every console so far, and it's not stopping with the PS3.

#24 ·
They have something like 75 million PS3's. It wouldn't make sense to not continue to release major games on there for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure about the staggered release dates (If it even comes out for the PS4 since that doesn't even appear definite), but that's been gone over in the GT6 thread already. But what I am confident in is that supporting the existing PS3 makes a heck of a lot of sense and hopefully we'll have a steady supply of major new games for it for quite sometime yet.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII  /t/1459444/driveclub-ps4#post_23345604

Well, Sony has always talked about their 10 year console lifespan plan. They're still selling units like hotcakes in countries not names USA. GTA is a huge seller worldwide.

I'm not surprised, and I won't be, when this sells very well and is supported over the next 2 years. Sony has had long term support and strategy every console so far, and it's not stopping with the PS3.

Yeah, I guess it will result in a lot more game sales for Polyphony. It just would have been a nice bonus for Sony to have a showcase title like that for a launch title. Like I said, I'll probably get Drive Club on PS4 and hold off on GT6 till it hits PS4. I'm not worried about nabbing an early spot on the leaderboards or whatnot, I don't have that kind of time to devote to it, so the waiting won't kill me.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about Drive Club at E3.

#26 ·
I also want to hear more about drive club. I used to love racing games but kind of stopped playing them a while back. While some of the news of GT6 is a little depressing, I will most likely grab it for the PS3 since getting a PS4 day one is not a given for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.