Deep Down... Capcom's latest dragon stomper on the PS4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 86 Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Here is an excellent looking next gen medieval action adventure game from Capcom. The real time visuals are top notch:
Quote:
Deep Down (a working title) is the latest in the developers growing stable of new IP's, joining the likes of Dragon's Dogma and the upcoming Remember Me. Speaking of Dragon's Dogma, Deep Down seemingly shares several similarities with the third-person, action RPG. Both share a pseudo-medieval aesthetic, a mix of swords and sorcery, and an abudance of fire-breathing baddies.

Before you gather your pawns and start venturing forth, know that there aren't any release details available for Deep Down just yet (the game's name isn't even finalized after all).

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I really hope this was a target render for Dragon's Dogma 2 (or a spiritual successor)

I would buy a PS4 the day this released.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #3 of 86 Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Video is Private.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #4 of 86 Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Video is Private.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWIS8x0Sjg8

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #5 of 86 Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

OP fixed.

post #6 of 86 Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Gamersyde has posted a 1080P version of the trailer that Capcom said was running on the PS4.

post #7 of 86 Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Panty raid > Unreal Engine.

Capcom usually does a great job hitting target renders. If they slap some of those butter controls like from Infamous instead of that clunky Monster Hunter stuff I'm all in on this one.
post #8 of 86 Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

So long as this turns out to be Dragon's Dogma 2, gameplay will be fine. After Dogma, Monster Hunter just feels really dated.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #9 of 86 Old 06-15-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Unfortunately, Capcom says that this game will be playable at E3 2014. It's gonna be a long wait. A .gif to hold us over.

post #10 of 86 Old 06-15-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

At least we have a date for the latest that we will get new info, I expect a proper reveal at TGS if they plan for it to be playable at E3.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #11 of 86 Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Some technical info on this title from Capcom.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/30/capcoms-deep-down-is-an-actual-game-cant-say-if-exclusive-or-not-more-info-on-panta-rhei-shared
Quote:
Some of those questions were answered by Capcom’s Deputy General Manager of Technology Research and Development Masaru ijuin and by Programmers Daisuke Shimizu and Hitoshi Mishima as part of a very extensive interview on the Japanese website Game Watch.

The development of Panta Rhei started in the summer of 2011, to address problems with Capcom’s proprietary engine MT Framework that led to the deterioration of development efficiency.

The Deep Down demo ran in real time at the PS4 presentation and displayed between 10 and 20 million polygons per frame. It had a variable frame rate above 30 frames per second and a total texture capacity of 2 GB. It ran 30 different shaders at the same time.

The demo can run on a PC with an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570, 8 GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i7 CPU. The development machines used at Capcom have Geforce GTX 680 and GTX 590 GPUs.

The peak performance of the PS4 is lower than that of an high end PC theoretically, but due to the ease of development and the streamlined architecture there are areas in which it can be superior. The same can be said about the Xbox One which has a similar architecture and potential.

The engine can use Tessellation and in certain areas Approximating Catmull-Clark Subdivision Surfaces, that is unfortunately too heavy to be used systematically for every element . It also uses Dynamic Level of Detail (DLOD) to avoid pop-in. Thanks to the PS4′s high memory capacity it’s possible to achieve both stable performance and avoiding pop-in with LOD.
The rendering pipeline has been redesigned. It can use Tile Based Deferred Rendering combined with Forward Rendering for special and semi transparent materials. Tile Based Deferred Rendering can grant very high performance but Forward rendering can be used when you want to use the Bidirectional Reflectance Distribution Function (a four-dimensional function that defines how light is reflected at an opaque surface) or render translucent materials. Material rendering is done with a diffuse map, a specular map, a normal map and a roughness map.

It’s possible to use Partially Resident textures both on PS4 and Xbox One. It’s the same technology as the Mega Texture used in Rage by id Software and the DirectX 11.2 Tiled Resources technology flaunted by Microsoft at BUILD 2013 is pretty exactly that. Panta Rhei Can do it as well.

Quick rundown in less-technical terms:
Quote:
Those DF shots make even more clear that we were actually seeing real time footage.

I took a glance of the watch article using google translate, there were some complementary info:

- 10-20 million per frame, 10x increase of the previous gen. However that's the amount of polygons per frame, it doesn't mean the scene is composed of 10-20 millions polys. For instance they have to redrawn any object that cast shadow for the shadow maps.

- To develop the engine and the game, they presumed Ps4 would be about 8 times more powerful than Ps3. From the specs Ps4 falls in line with they expected.

- The 30 shaders they are using are not comparable to previous gen shaders. With Dx9 and last gen shaders had to be much simpler because dynamic branching would destroy performance. Now they can have more complex/intelligent shaders and so they can use less of them to achieve the desired look.

- Apparently the Pc demo uses only 1.2GB of video ram (compared to Ps4's 2GB)... There's a explanation for that, but due poor translation I couldn't make sense of it.

- Apparently they are using tesselation for LOD, but not for drawing objects with higher poly count.

- For increasing geometry using tesselation, they used Catmull-Clark sub division surfaces, but that proved too resource heavy to be used everywhere. For the demo, it was only being used on the robe the witch was using.

- They are testing faster algorithms of tesselation that would allow them to enable tessellation on all drawn objects.

- For rendering they use Tile based deferred rendering, and for transparent objects they use a mix of foward rendering too.

- They talk about performances advantages of TBDR, but that is also impossible to understand, but I think papers on the tech shouldn't be hard to find.

- They seem to use physically correct shaders and area lights.

- They initially wanted to have real time GI using SVOGI (the same of the Ue4 demo). But creating and maintaining the octree was too heavy for the Ps4 to handle alongside the game.

- But the work done there allowed them to use the voxel cone tracing algorithm in more some areas. Specifically for the demo, this technique is used to handle the dragon's flames. Just like the UE4 elemental demo, voxel cone tracing allows an entire object to become emissive (in essentially, a light source). That was also used in the demo: The rocks and the shield that receive the flames become emissive of lights too.

- They talk about a 3d mega texture using GCN Partially resident textures. It could be useful for static geometry, and could be a way to get SVOGI working on the next gen consoles.

- In some place there they say that the flames propagation are actually simulated used fluid dynamics, and I think the voxel representation of the flames also helped that...

Glad were going to see some interesting physics bases usage of fluid dynamics next gen. Cloth and fluid movement (be it wind or water) can really add something special to visuals.

Capcom%E2%80%99s-PS4-Fantasy-title-Deep-Down-looks-like-Dark-Souls-meets-Dragon-Dogma.gif
post #12 of 86 Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 591
That demo was far more impressive than anything else shown for next gen. Which his why I'm skeptical of the game looking like that. If it does end up looking that good biggrin.gif
post #13 of 86 Old 07-30-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

That demo was far more impressive than anything else shown for next gen. Which his why I'm skeptical of the game looking like that. If it does end up looking that good biggrin.gif

i will be SHOCKED if the games looks anything like the demo.. reminds me of the "demo" for madden for ps3/360 back in the day...
post #14 of 86 Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM

We'll have to wait and see. Capcom hasn't exactly been on the bleeding edge of technology, but they're still managed to put out some impressive looking games. RE6 for example is only a DX9 game, but I'm sure plenty of people thought it was DX11 tech.

Besides the fluid fire physics and shaders, there's not much there that looked different than the Sorcerer tech demo from QD. Both are in confined spaces though, which means they can dial up the effects.
post #15 of 86 Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone that has played Dragon's Dogma has seen that Capcom can manage some impressive effects in an open world. The lighting alone was some of the best dynamic, real time light I have seen this gen. I have full faith that they will manage a game that lives up to that tech demo on PS4.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #16 of 86 Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Anyone that has played Dragon's Dogma has seen that Capcom can manage some impressive effects in an open world. The lighting alone was some of the best dynamic, real time light I have seen this gen. I have full faith that they will manage a game that lives up to that tech demo on PS4.

I actually think Dragon's Dogma hurts your argument. Yes, the lighting is nice but the textures, models and animations..the world overall isn't all that impressive to me. The framerate is rather low as well. The spells and effects as well don't look all that great IMO. Sometimes the lighting made up for other graphical aspects that were lacking IMO but overall as a package

I enjoyed the game while I had it but it could have been much better (maybe Dark Arisen makes it much better). Graphics weren't really a complaint but the size of the world and lack of variety in enemies was for me. Don't rally like the inventory management either. Some of the fights dragged on as well, why make a boss have 8 circles of health!!!! good lord!!
post #17 of 86 Old 07-30-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

All of those complaints about enemies, inventory and mechanics are improved in Dark Arisen. (So long as you know how to play, those 8 bar enemies can be beaten in seconds) Even the ultimate boss of Dark Arisen can fall in just a few blows with the right setup. (Online Ur on the other hand...)

Most of the framerate issues are streaming related, I bought the digital version and the game runs much better than my disc copy.

Model detail on random npcs is crap, but story related characters are plenty detailed and the character creation is highly detailed, my Arisen and pawn look better than any of the NPCs, but that is the product of hours of tweaking...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #18 of 86 Old 07-30-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought DD on 360 and wanted it to be a PC game the whole time. Felt like a Wii game. Still loved it though even though it wasn't perfect.
post #19 of 86 Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I bought DD on 360 and wanted it to be a PC game the whole time. Felt like a Wii game. Still loved it though even though it wasn't perfect.

Felt like a Wii game? That makes no sense...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #20 of 86 Old 07-31-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Felt like a Wii game? That makes no sense...
"Looks" would be a better word. After going back to PC it looks like a Wii game. Like that Xenoblade one needed to be on some system besides Wii.
post #21 of 86 Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 521
New vid. This is looking like an RPG ala Dark Souls....Getting excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifYG4Z01UN8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
post #22 of 86 Old 08-01-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

An Online game in some way... I will hold off on judging the game but my intrest has dropped slightly...

http://kotaku.com/deep-down-is-capcoms-mysterious-new-game-for-the-ps4-987184363

First revealed earlier this year at the PS4 reveal, Deep Down is being developed as an online game. Its keypoint is "dungeon", so it sounds like this one will be a dungeon crawler. It was revealed at Capcom's Network Game Conference and expected at this year's Tokyo Game Show, where it will have a full playable demo.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #23 of 86 Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

i will be SHOCKED if the games looks anything like the demo.. reminds me of the "demo" for madden for ps3/360 back in the day...

Yeah that demo for current gen madden was about as deceptive as I've ever seen. Then again it was EA so we should have known what to expect from the get-go.
post #24 of 86 Old 08-01-2013, 08:57 AM

Wasn't that CGI?

Demons/Dark Souls was also "Online". That said, Capcom has been following, not leading the industry as of late. They will need to do a lot to impress me after they ruined my favorite franchise.
post #25 of 86 Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Wasn't that CGI?

Demons/Dark Souls was also "Online". That said, Capcom has been following, not leading the industry as of late. They will need to do a lot to impress me after they ruined my favorite franchise.

Real time, but running on a high end PC apparently. Probably using their cutscene assets. (Compare any game's in game models to their cutscene models) Dragon's Dogma went a long way towards restoring my faith in Capcom, but they still have a long way to go...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #26 of 86 Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

post #27 of 86 Old 08-01-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Not really sure what they mean by "memory reading rpg" or "reading rpg". Hopefully Tokyo Game show has a booth with some gameplay.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/01/deep-down-is-an-online-enabled-multiplayer-ps4-rpg/#PDkeQdqSA7mRX9td.99
Quote:
Capcom is about to reveal more about deep down, a PlayStation 4 game first teased during Sony’s hardware reveal. deep down is being developed by Capcom Online Games and as expected is an online enabled RPG that supports a large number of players. The game’s genre is a “memory reading RPG” or “reading RPG” as see in katakana. The teaser site also mentions deep down requires an internet connection and is an online exclusive similar to Dragon’s Dogma Quest.

We should hear more about deep down too since the game will be shown at Tokyo Game Show.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/01/deep-down-is-an-online-enabled-multiplayer-ps4-rpg/#eFxy3u43XR0lhqBC.99
post #28 of 86 Old 08-01-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The gameplay graphics in that video already look nerfed and generic compared to the initial launch trailer. Hopefully that was a snippet from an unannounced PS3 version.

post #29 of 86 Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM

The video is sub-HD and terribly compressed. Still, that was a pretty weak teaser.
post #30 of 86 Old 08-02-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The particle effects on the fire looks good though, I'll give them that.

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page