Need Advise - Have 60GB Fat PS3, 3.55 OFW, Not Sure What To Do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TL;DR - Not sure if I should update my PS3 Fat to current firmware to play current games, sell it with 3.55 on it and buy a new Super Slim, or sell it with 3.55 on it and buy a new blu ray standalone player instead.

Full Post: I need advise from you guys who really know the community and PS3 world. I have a 60GB Launch Model PS3 that has full PS2 BC. I am a casual gamer and also have an XBox 360 and iPad that get most of my attention. I've only played a few PS3 games and mostly used it as a Blu Ray player.

I never updated my firmware past 3.55 because I thought I might jailbreak it (sorry if this is a "bad" topic to discuss, I haven't jailbreaked it and am currently leaning against it). My PS3 has been collecting dust for the last year because I've mostly been watching movies on Netflix on my 360 and I haven't played any PS3 games. There are games on my PS3 that I want to play but I'm such a casual gamer that I'm working on my backlog of 360 and iPad games.

I realized that my PS3 might be worth "something" on the secondary market because I didn't update the firmware and it might be desirable to people looking to jailbreak it. It's also in great shape having been largely unused for most of it's 6 or 7 years of life. It's hard to get a good gauge, but it looks like prices vary between $200 and $400 for one in my condition so I'd estimate somewhere in the middle as my target. (This isn't a for-sale ad, this is an advise request).

I realize that I have a problem in that any new games or blu rays I want to play will include the new PS3 firmware on the disk and basically require that I update the firmware. That will likely cause me a huge depreciation cost because the console will lose value on the secondary market once that happens. So I'm basically facing a few options that I need help deciding between:

1) Sell the PS3, immediately rebuy a new Super Slim PS3 with the proceeds. It appears that I can probably get as much money for the old PS3 as the new Super Slim costs so it would be a lateral move. The benefit to me is (a) I get the new prettier console but most importantly (b) I get a new warranty and newer hardware and (c) I won't worry or stress about updating firmware and I can do everything on it.

2) Update the firmware on my PS3 Fat, not really worry that it's less pretty than the super slim because I'm a guy and who cares, not really worry about hardware failure because I've barely used it and it's been reliable to date so it might last "forever" (or at least last another year, which is all the new Super Slim warranty would get me), and I have the benefit of keeping the backwards compatibility, just in case I ever want it.

3) Jailbreak the PS3 myself, keep it, and use the Jailbreak to "negate" the need to worry about updating the firmware to something new that prevents me from future jailbreaking it. I don't have a desire to pirate games, although I do have a desire to retain the option value of a future jailbreak should I eventually desire it, perhaps for some kind of future XBMC release that might turn it into a home theater PC with nice GUI.

4) Sell the PS3 and immediately rebuy a new stand alone Blu Ray player and completely forget about Sony PS3 games. There's plenty of Xbox games I want to play that I haven't, and considering my casual usage relative to the new game launch cycle, I'll have an amazing Xbox game to play for the rest of my life because it takes me several months to get through one game on my casual schedule so backlog plus new games = a "lifetime" of Xbox games to keep me busy.

I'm leaning towards the option of selling the PS3 and either buying a new Super Slim or buying a standalone Blu Ray player. I don't want to Jailbreak it. I'm fairly IT savvy but it looks like the effort to perform due diligence on all of the different CFWs would make it not worth my time (I spent 30 minutes reading about them and my head started spinning and I only got through 5% of the material available).

Personally, I despise Sony as a company and I am upset with them over how they handled the GeoHot situation such that I want to give Sony as little money as possible. That said, I don't hate them enough to deprive myself from all enjoyment in life, so I just limit myself when no good alternative is available (e.g. I won't buy sony headphones anymore, even though I used to buy them every year to replace old ones; there's no alternative to blu ray, so I still use blu rays in spite of Sony getting a piece of each one).

There's a bunch of amazing games that I haven't played yet (or completed) that make me want to go with the Super Slim:

1) I played Uncharted 1 about 25% through and never finished. Never played 2 or 3. Would like to start at 1 and play all 3.
2) ICO and Shadow of the Colossus - I played ICO about 10% through using PS2 BC mode, and then it was announced they were making a PS3 HD-remake, so I sold my PS2 copies of ICO and SoC with the intent of rebuying the HD-remake.
3) God of War 3 and the new one. I played 1 and 2 and enjoyed them. Would like to play more.
4) Journey, Flower and the other game from that downloadable series - I can't connect to the PS Store to buy them without updating my firmware, so I didn't yet.

As much as I want to play those games, I realize there's still a ton of amazing 360 games I haven't got yet (including the Mass Effect series), so if I skip them, it won't be the end of the world.

The "easiest" thing for me to do is just update the firmware on my current PS3 but my distrust and hatred of Sony has prevented me from doing that so far as well as my perception that it will decrease the resale value when I decide to sell it eventually. I'm probably the exception, but what does that say about Sony's business practices that I have effectively boycotted new game purchases because doing so would force a firmware upgrade and I distrust them from screwing with my system?

What advise do you have for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
In addition to the jailbreak gaming crowd, there is a market amongst the audio crowd as your machine can be used for SACD ripping. That also is contingent on NOT updating the firmware though. So you can probably get a decent amount for it.

In your position, I'd sell it and get a super slim. Effectively I did, as my 60GB died, and I had to buy a slim to replace it. Still have not bought a replacement SACD player though.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

In addition to the jailbreak gaming crowd, there is a market amongst the audio crowd as your machine can be used for SACD ripping. That also is contingent on NOT updating the firmware though. So you can probably get a decent amount for it.

In your position, I'd sell it and get a super slim. Effectively I did, as my 60GB died, and I had to buy a slim to replace it. Still have not bought a replacement SACD player though.

Edit: Oops, missed the word "ripping" Nevermind.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Liked: 29
Sounds like you don't use it that much...sell it and get a new Blu Ray player. Should have some money left over for beer. biggrin.gif
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page