Why is the PSN store so slow? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31

1. PSN store UI on the PS3 is just so slow. It stutters, isn't smooth, has too much lag. There's no reason for this, its a pretty simple app and the rest of the PS3 UI is nice and smooth.

2. Slow downloads - I have PS+ so I expect better bandwidth and higher priority, but maybe that's not the case?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Don't know the answer, but I agree. The old PSN store may have been bland, but it was fast. The new one is slow, choppy, and harder to navigate. What was the point?

- Jer
post #3 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Weird....I find the new PS store to be pretty fast and much easier to navigate. But if Im browsing through it for like 10 minutes or so, it will get MEGA slow, like to the point where it stops responding to inputs. Overall its still so much better than it used to be though.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #4 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

1. PSN store UI on the PS3 is just so slow. It stutters, isn't smooth, has too much lag. There's no reason for this, its a pretty simple app and the rest of the PS3 UI is nice and smooth.

2. Slow downloads - I have PS+ so I expect better bandwidth and higher priority, but maybe that's not the case?

I agree, but the nice thing to me is you can now do it all on a PC or tablet without even bothering to fire up your PS3: http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-store/

use that, buy, and then just go to your downloads list via the XBM. So much better!
post #5 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 10
Downloads are a bit slow but the navigation of the simple store page is such low bandwidth there really isnt a good excuse other than inefficient coding. I think Sony is aware that the PS4 has to have as good or a better interface than modern tablets do, the public expects a modern console to be on par with the latest IPad and certainly should be able to do what the IPhone did back in 2007. If a low powered phone cpu from 6 years ago can display wepages quickly, there is no excuse it cant be done on hardware that is 50x more powerful.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
There are a wide variety of experiences with PSN speeds. Those without problems tend to think that those of us with problems are wrong, stupid, or simply "doing it wrong." So as a heads up, you might expect to hear that from a few posters in a thread like this.

Anyhow, there are a few things you can do to help slightly with speeds (rebuilding your file system and whatnot through the maintenance menus), but unfortunately it appears that once you have slow PSN speeds, you're stuck with them. The hope is that Sony is rebuilding their network for PS4 and can justify charging more (or more people) for PSN service.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #7 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hmm, I hadn't heard of the "rebuild database" option before. I have no complaints about the performance of the PSN store, but I have a 300 GB drive and it could probably benefit from a cleanup. I may give this a try.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Quote:

I agree, but the nice thing to me is you can now do it all on a PC or tablet without even bothering to fire up your PS3: http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-store/

use that, buy, and then just go to your downloads list via the XBM. So much better!

I was using this store - https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/all-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-ALLGAMES

It looks a lot more like what I see on the PS3 and lets me filter out PS+ and free games.

Why does the download list on the PS3 not show what's already installed? It will let me start a download for a game I've already downloaded.

post #9 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 05:02 PM

I would agree that the new PSN store UI is both easier to navigate AND responds more slowly. Though my DSL is only 1.5M, perhaps on a faster connection the UI would seem snappier. But my PS3 remote (and my Sharp remote through my smart TV HDMI pass-through) does not work in the new PSN store, worked fine in the old PSN and works fine in the PS3 console UI.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Don't forget how it takes forever just to load it and see the front page... before you get to slowly and sluggishly navigate.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why does the download list on the PS3 not show what's already installed? It will let me start a download for a game I've already downloaded.

I presume that's by design. Suppose you deleted a game after finishing it and then, many months later, decided to re-download it to play it again. It'd be way too much trouble for the PSN store to keep track of everything that's currently installed on your hard drive.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Quote:

I presume that's by design. Suppose you deleted a game after finishing it and then, many months later, decided to re-download it to play it again. It'd be way too much trouble for the PSN store to keep track of everything that's currently installed on your hard drive.

It's trivial to detect if a game is already installed. In fact PSN already knows this since it can upload game saves and get updates.

Actually I'd like to be ale to go to the website on my pc, buy a game, and have it download and install automatically, like on Xbox. I hope they do this in PS4.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM

takes long time to load but once your in the store moves fast and easy to download stuff better for plus, and buying stuff.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's trivial to detect if a game is already installed. In fact PSN already knows this since it can upload game saves and get updates.

That's only for PS+ subscribers, and only for games that you have launched after becoming a PS+ subscriber. Until you launch it, PS+ doesn't know about it.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-10-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
the PS3 knwos what games you have on your HDD becuse it DISPLAYS the games you have on your HDD -- it just needs to be told to provide that information as a filter.
As far as PSN speeds go -- i have a 150 Mbps download, yet the highest i ever got on the PS3 using a wired connection is 12 Mbps -- the store is choppy and sluggish and crap.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #16 of 19 Old 03-10-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I understand why they decided to go with the more flashy approach compared to the old style but eh it's sluggish and choppy. It also doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the aesthetic of the system either. It seems like a rushed attempt at making a more eye catching store. What's worse is the screen shots from the PS4 UI videos I've seen so far look more like the style of the old PSN store so what's the reason for the total redesign? In the end it doesn't really matter sure, but eh I wish they'd go back to the previous design.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Just chiming in to say I agree, it's slow, and I can't stand how choppy it is!! mad.gif

Every time I use it I wish I could just revert back to the old smoother version.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
I hate the new store and think the previous one was better, they should focus on making something that functions smoothly instead of appearance.

The very sluggish feel sure doesn't encourage someone to browse through it and buy some stuff, hopefully PS4's PSN store will be smooth as butter !

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #19 of 19 Old 07-06-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 285
I don't have issues once it finally loads up. I just wish it was a little easier to navigate and that they did better with their categories.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page