Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good day,

I plan on putting in a large hard drive in my PS3, probably a 1 gig drive.

Is anyone running a 1 gig drive or larger in their PS3? Have you noticed any problems/hiccups if you did?

Just want to make sure there are no surprises.

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 AM

Liked: 33
I've got a 320 gb in place of my original 60gb (fat) ps3. As long as it's a 2.5" SATA laptop drive, I don't see any issue. I know very little about computers, but I don't recall it being an issue at all. If I remember right, after turning it back on, it basically walked you through it, having you format/partition the HD. I would wait for someone with a bit more experience to comment, but I don't see it being any problem.

post #3 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner View Post

I plan on putting in a large hard drive in my PS3, probably a 1 gig drive.

Don't you mean a 1TB drive? All the original PS3s have a hard drive that is definitely more than 1 gig.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I'm running a 1TB hard drive in my PS3 (have had it for 2yrs). So far no issues. Have several PS+ games on it and still have over 500 gigs free. As long as you get a 2.5 inch drive, you should be fine. Be careful, some drives say they are 2.5 inch, but run double platters and are too big (in physical size) to fit. Investigate the customer reviews to make sure someone has placed it in their PS3 just to be sure. Here is the one (I think--it's been a couple of years, but I seem to remember the PS3 recommendations) that I bought: Samsung 2.5 drive. There are others, so you might want to comparison shop.

You also have a choice--the big drives are now cheap, but there are 2.5 SSDs that will also work in the PS3. They are faster, but do not have nearly as much capacity. Sid Schuman (PS Blogcast) bought an SSD and loves it. He said that games that require lots of texture loading (RAGE, for example) are greatly enhanced by the SSD drive and that he doesn't experience "texture loading" that non-SSD drives do.

Personally, I find the large headroom more appealing (for this gen.) and probably won't change with the PS3, but I may consider an SSD depending on what the PS4 allows.

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #5 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zervinb View Post

Don't you mean a 1TB drive? All the original PS3s have a hard drive that is definitely more than 1 gig.

HAHA good catch. I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlock View Post

I'm running a 1TB hard drive in my PS3 (have had it for 2yrs). So far no issues. Have several PS+ games on it and still have over 500 gigs free. As long as you get a 2.5 inch drive, you should be fine. Be careful, some drives say they are 2.5 inch, but run double platters and are too big (in physical size) to fit. Investigate the customer reviews to make sure someone has placed it in their PS3 just to be sure. Here is the one (I think--it's been a couple of years, but I seem to remember the PS3 recommendations) that I bought: Samsung 2.5 drive. There are others, so you might want to comparison shop.

You also have a choice--the big drives are now cheap, but there are 2.5 SSDs that will also work in the PS3. They are faster, but do not have nearly as much capacity. Sid Schuman (PS Blogcast) bought an SSD and loves it. He said that games that require lots of texture loading (RAGE, for example) are greatly enhanced by the SSD drive and that he doesn't experience "texture loading" that non-SSD drives do.

Personally, I find the large headroom more appealing (for this gen.) and probably won't change with the PS3, but I may consider an SSD depending on what the PS4 allows.

I seem to remember that Samsung 1 TB as well. Although I didn't use it, I think it was one of the first affordable 1 TB 2.5" drives available, making it very popular for quite a while.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
That was a good catch regarding the 1gig drive. I did mean a 1Tb.

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
post #7 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Liked: 13
I have a 1TB WD Blue drive in my '07 fattie, no problems at all so far.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #8 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 04:44 PM

I just added one of these yesterday to my PS Slim which had a 120 GB drive : WD Blue 1 TB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, 5400 RPM, SATA II, 8 MB Cache - WD10JPVT . Installation took about 10 minutes. Formatting and installing the PS software took less time. Drive is working fine. Only end up with about 830 GB free after formatting though. Although that is probably good for a while.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Yes, it will see a 1TB as it's boot drive. Not talking external, which is of limited use.
With the PS3 slim, "Advanced Format Drives" are not an issue.
However, it will not format a boot drive bigger than 1 TB. I tried.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jeff-dranetz/maximum-logical-drive-size-for-ps3/10151679084920238

I used a SATA to eSATA PS3 extender kit. (see link)
Using an external drive as a boot drive is achieved with a POWERED eSATA enclosure.
I tried a eSATA cable powered unit, did not work.
Anyway you don't want the new drive to over tax the PS3 PSU.
Also, it will not add to console heat, I am guessing lengthening the life of the console itself.
If you don't want to go this route, any laptop,hybrid, or SSD 2.5 drive 1 TB and under will work.
I had a 500GB 7200 rpm laptop drive in before the upgrade with no adverse effects.
Some have warned against heat and power requirements of 7200 rpm drives over 5400 drives.
For the enclosure I ended up using a 1TB 3.5" Western Digital AV-GP drive., designed for always on use.
An enterprise server drive might have been quicker. I would recommend a desktop drive over an enterprise drive due to the fact I keep the enclosure always on for convenience.
Everytime I power on the PS3, it's already fully spun up.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page