Does PS3 really lack in video playback?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-10-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So.. I'm a recent PS3 (latest version, link to which one is below) owner and have been impressed with the gaming experience compared to that of an Xbox 360 which I also own. I really dig the LPCM 7.1 and DTS 5.1 audio playback whereas xbox can only do DD 5.1.

But what I find concerning is the video playback. When I watch a bluray, I notice that the picture is very grainy. Audio is amazing but the picture quality bugs me. Last night, I watched Breaking Dawn Part 2 (HDX) on Vudu via PS3 and was very disappointed in the quality. It too was very grainy and lacked detail. At first I was blaming it on vudu. Then I tried watching the video with the VUDU app that is on my Samsung TV (55" ES8000) and notice a HUGE improvement in picture quality. Was considerably less grainy and the image was smooth and sharper with better detail.

I also tried the same title on VUDU on Xbox and notice is was too better in quality.

So I tried watching a Netflix movie (Mirror Mirror) to compare the quality between my TiVo premier and PS3. Both are able to stream 1080/24p. I also notice that Tivo was producing a better picture quality as the image was sharper and less grainy.

Can anyone shed any light as to what is going on?

Thanks in advance!

My PS3 Model (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/18/tgs-2012-smaller-lighter-ps3-model-unveiled/)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Other folks will probably have better suggestions, but are you sure the connection path from your PS3 to your TV is good? Presumably your PS3 is connected to an A/V receiver if you're getting LPCM 7.1; have you checked the HDMI cables to and from the receiver? Is your Tivo likewise connected to the receiver, or is it connected directly to your TV?

(I have an older PS3, and the video quality on Blu-rays is excellent; Netflix playback isn't quite as good, but certainly not worse than Netflix on my Tivo.)
post #3 of 4 Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You have something wrong. The PS3 has commonly been called the best BluRay player on the market.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
A quick google turned up this post in another forum on recommended PS3 setting for blu-ray playback: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-disc-media-players/55735-how-properly-set-up-your-sony-ps3-blu-ray-player.html

Hopefully one of these settings is the culprit, otherwise it might be an equipment issue. I've never experienced undo (un-intended) grain in any video playback on my PS3. Heck, even YouTube HD streams look decent.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page