Finally joining the PS3 side - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had both an Xbox 360 and PS3 for about 3.5 years now and have never played a PS3 game. It was my dedicated bluray player and netflix streamer. I decided I was bored of COD and my Xbox is having trouble starting up these days so I'm going to branch out. Found somebody selling God of War 1,2&3 for $25. They looked like fun games so I figured that would be a good start. Now I have to get used to the controller!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Do you have ps+? You can get some good games on it.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3 of 41 Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM

Liked: 11
You should be thanking the video game gods you don't have to weild that clunky 360 controller anymore. Like the other guy said, check out PlayStation Plus. Since you are new to it, they'll have a bunch of games for free waiting for you. I highly recommend Gotham City Impostors, an FPS that doesn't take itself too seriously but still has excellent game play and is free for all PlayStation Plus subscribers. See you in the lobby.
post #4 of 41 Old 03-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39

Also a new PS3 owner here. I recommend you pick up some PS3 exclusives, e,g. Journey collectors pack - I got that one after reading the rave reviews and it is every bit as good.

post #5 of 41 Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotolove View Post

You should be thanking the video game gods you don't have to weild that clunky 360 controller anymore. Like the other guy said, check out PlayStation Plus. Since you are new to it, they'll have a bunch of games for free waiting for you. I highly recommend Gotham City Impostors, an FPS that doesn't take itself too seriously but still has excellent game play and is free for all PlayStation Plus subscribers. See you in the lobby.

Gotham City Imposters is no longer part of the Instant Game Collection. But right now you can get Spec Ops The Line, Vanquish, Darksiders, InFamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, along with a bunch of good to mediocre PSN titles and a nice selection of Vita games. Also, there's a $10 credit if you sign up this month. Here's the deets: http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/
post #6 of 41 Old 03-13-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
get uncharted 1 2 & 3 smile.gif
post #7 of 41 Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Gotham City Imposters is no longer part of the Instant Game Collection. But right now you can get Spec Ops The Line, Vanquish, Darksiders, InFamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, along with a bunch of good to mediocre PSN titles and a nice selection of Vita games. Also, there's a $10 credit if you sign up this month. Here's the deets: http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/

Interesting, I'll check that out. Put in God of War today and it looks surprisingly good considering it was originally released on PS2. I'll probably play through all 3 back-to-back unless I get really bored of them for some reason.
post #8 of 41 Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Well then go buy Gotham City Impostors! Ex-COD players tend to do very well at it because the controller scheme is very similar I hear. See you in Gotham.
post #9 of 41 Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am going to disagree with you on the controller, but there are some good games on the system.

post #10 of 41 Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mappleby285 View Post

Interesting, I'll check that out. Put in God of War today and it looks surprisingly good considering it was originally released on PS2. I'll probably play through all 3 back-to-back unless I get really bored of them for some reason.

Well, they did re-do a lot of the textures and everything else for the HD Release of the games on the PS3, so they do look noticeably better than their original PS2 counterparts. Still, for the PS2 they look pretty damned good. The GoW series is a good exclusive for Sony and being able to get every canon iteration of the game on the PS3 is nice. IF you end up liking the GoW games, I would also recommend getting the HD Origins Collection as well, since that includes the two games that were released for the PSP.
post #11 of 41 Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mappleby285 View Post

You think that's good, check out MGS:HD collection.

For PS3 I'd recommend inFamous (open world) and Heavenly Sword (god of war like with a good story)
post #12 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM

Yeah, if I used a rock for a hammer for a real long time and someone handed me hammer instead of a rock to drive a nail I'd probably say the rock was better. If you can't tell, I really don't like the Xbox. Hahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I am going to disagree with you on the controller, but there are some good games on the system.
post #13 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, if I used a rock for a hammer for a real long time and someone handed me hammer instead of a rock to drive a nail I'd probably say the rock was better. If you can't tell, I really don't like the Xbox. Hahaha!
It's understandable, but most people would disagree with you. I can use both controllers, but I do love the 360 controller more. It feels more precise to me.

post #14 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

It's understandable, but most people would disagree with you. I can use both controllers, but I do love the 360 controller more. It feels more precise to me.
The only thing I like better on the 360 controller is the concave tops on the analog sticks.
post #15 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 12:35 PM

Top 3 worst video game controllers ever: #3 Xbox 360 #2 Sega Dreamcast #1 Super Nintendo. That's my 2 cents on the subject.
post #16 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Top 3 worst video game controllers ever: #3 Xbox 360 #2 Sega Dreamcast #1 Super Nintendo. That's my 2 cents on the subject.

Sony has pretty much copied the design elements of the 360 controller in the DS4.

DS3 is better for fighting games due to the d-pad. That's about it. The 360 controller has more weight and is nicer to hold, the trigger buttons are much better, and so is the spacing between analog sticks. People like to make fun of it due to the 'xbox is huge' meme and because it takes batteries.

post #17 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 PM

After reading your post I have bumped the xbox controller up to #2 on my worst controllers list. Batteries? Really? That alone is reason enough to hate the damn thing. And isn't this the PlayStation 3 section of the forum? Who's got my back on this? Who is representing for PS3 around here? A far as the PS4 controller trying to be more like the xbox controller, I don't see the resemblance. "Look at his face, Maury! You know that's my baby's daddy." No, it's not. You can't spell sux without X... box. PS3 is king.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Sony has pretty much copied the design elements of the 360 controller in the DS4.

DS3 is better for fighting games due to the d-pad. That's about it. The 360 controller has more weight and is nicer to hold, the trigger buttons are much better, and so is the spacing between analog sticks. People like to make fun of it due to the 'xbox is huge' meme and because it takes batteries.
post #18 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:

After reading your post I have bumped the xbox controller up to #2 on my worst controllers list. Batteries? Really? That alone is reason enough to hate the damn thing. And isn't this the PlayStation 3 section of the forum? Who's got my back on this? Who is representing for PS3 around here? A far as the PS4 controller trying to be more like the xbox controller, I don't see the resemblance. "Look at his face, Maury! You know that's my baby's daddy." No, it's not. You can't spell sux without X... box. PS3 is king.

LOL obsess much? Most of us probably have both. I like the Blu-Ray in the playstation 3 and the controller for the xbox. smile.gif
post #19 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Do you have an Xbox? Have you used the controller? I thought juvenile bs like "You can't spell sux without X... box. PS3 is king" didn't belong on Avsforum.

post #20 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

So because its the playstation forum, we all have to bow to Sony? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I like batteries, especially since I don't want to plug my controller in to my system to charge it with my kids running around.

post #21 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

So because its the playstation forum, we all have to bow to Sony? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I like batteries, especially since I don't want to plug my controller in to my system to charge it with my kids running around.

Charge cord is like 6" long. I just swap controllers when battery is low for a charged one =)
post #22 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

At least PS4 will charge the controllers even when its in standby, which was a design flaw in PS3.

post #23 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 22
I have my laptop right here with me in my living room, and I am charging my PS3 controller even when my PS3 is off using the USB cable. No need to attach the controller to the PS3 to power it up.
post #24 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:

No, you don't have to bow down to the PS3, but a tip of the hat would be appreciated. Let me put it to you this way. You can't go to a Dallas Cowboys home game dressed head to toe in Washington Redskins gear on Thanksgiving Day and not expect to catch some flack. I gotta ask, are you gonna buy the PS4 or the 720 first? I don't know the release date of the 720, but if you had them both in front of you, hooked up, which one would you turn on first? I'm sure you know my answer.smile.gif
post #25 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 06:05 PM

Liked: 832
Well, Looks like the it took longer than I expected for the fanbois to show up this pre-gen.
post #26 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

Well I'm bringing juvenile back, baby.cool.gif To answer your question, yes I had an Xbox 360. I got rid of it about 2 months after I got it. Why? I didn't like it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I won't apologize for my words or for trying to enlighten the lowest common denominator. There are a million arguements one can make for or against either system. I am simply using this arena to make mine. If my demeanor or colorful language upset you. Log off. Change the channel. Hit the bricks, kid.
Uhm, that's not the way we do things around here. If your demeanor or colorful language doesn't sit will with the community, then it won't be us hitting the bricks.

Keep it civil, sports fans. Or take it elsewhere.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #27 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the beauty of it, I'm not a kid that has to try to build up a machine to be amazing. I own both systems and enjoy them both, it's so great not having to be a mindless console fanboy.

post #28 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Uhm, that's not the way we do things around here. If your demeanor or colorful language doesn't sit will with the community, then it won't be us hitting the bricks.

Keep it civil, sports fans. Or take it elsewhere.
:eek:But, but, but... fine.wink.gif
post #29 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:

That's the beauty of it, I'm not a kid that has to try to build up a machine to be amazing. I own both systems and enjoy them both, it's so great not having to be a mindless console fanboy.
Fanboy is not the term I would use. I am an enthusiastic PS3 supporter. I also own a Wii, Nintendo DS, and PSP. I haven't picked up the Vita yet but soon, very soon. I guess my dislike for the Xbox 360 stems from having to pay for Xbox live and (in my humble opinion) their controller, it just never felt right for me. You should try out a game called Limbo on the PS3. I do believe it is exclusive to the console and it is, to say the least, an original. Creepy as hell too.
post #30 of 41 Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Limbo is also on XBL. Back on topic, OP I know I said it earlier, but I highly recommend getting plus. You will easily make up for the $50 price with all the free games. And like someone else mentioned, between now and the end of march, you get $10 for a $50 purchase, so you're getting it for $40. It's a great deal.

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page