The PS3 generation of games: what is worth replaying? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In a recent thread discussing the value of a game, Conspiracy* pointed out that he has only replayed a handful of games. Despite my own huge backlog of PS3 games to play (I pick them up in sales), I recently got bit by the bug to replay Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Well, I did more than just replay it: I read a spin-off book, listened to the soundtrack, bought a game guide to cover the stuff I'd missed and work towards the platinum, replayed the game, stopped and picked up the DLC along the way, and then sprinted to the finish. I have really enjoyed immersing myself in the universe of the game. Sure, it isn't perfect, but it was worthy. I may replay is a third time with a totally different style in order to get the platinum.

So my question to my fellow PS3 AVS'ers: what games of the PS3 generation have been worth replaying for you and why? Do the games you enjoy replaying always make it into your top 5, top 10, or top 20 lists? did multiplayer cause you to replay?

This is highly subjective to the style of games you enjoy, but my goal is to expose any gems people may have missed before the PS4 generation happens. I guess it is fair to say that if you had a PS2 backwards compatible games that you played on the PS3, they could qualify.

Many of the highlights and series of the PS2 era were remastered to different extents on the PS3 and I replayed a number of them (God of War, Prince of Persia, Devil May Cry, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid), so they can be included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have bought 11 PS3 games, not much since I own a PS3 since mid 2009, of those games I have replayed the next ones:

Uncharted 2: The detail of every level is amazing, specially in the Nepal Temple part, every time I play that level spend a lot of time "just" looking at everything.

Red Dead Redemption: Game of the year Edition: I could spend a lot of time just looking at John Marston riding his horse or looking at the landscape, also the Undead Nighmare was very good, but sometimes it was a little too repetitive, still I´ve replayed that too.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Needless to say, it´s a must for most of the PS3 owners, great story, great enemies,specially the Laughing Octopus and Crying Wolf, I **** my pants the first time I fought each one of them. tongue.gif

Modern Warfare 2: The first (and maybe last) COD game I´ve ever played, fun single player levels, and ever more fun multiplayer, I was amazed when reached 120 gaming hours playing, too bad that the COD games are always the same no improvements of any king, however I consider it a must to have one game (not more) of the series .

Battlefield 3: Lame Single player campaign, played once and never again, but if I was amazed with my COD´s 120 hours of multiplayer gaming BF3 crushed that personal record, until now, I have 450+ hour gaming since October of 2011, never gets me tired.

Heavy Rain: This has special requirements for replaying it: Has to be Raining, Cold weather and has to be at night, without these requirements I don´t wan to play it, Since I live in México, there are not many days (well, nights) that fulfill my requirements. in an entire year tongue.gif
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Uncharted series, Infamous 2 for the alternate ending, God of War 3, and Arkham City. And GTA IV because it's GTA.

500 gigs FTW.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Heavy Rain: Director's Cut.

Metal Gear Solid 4
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 466
GTA
Flower
Bionic Commando cuz I loved the original so much
Uncharted series
SSX
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Liked: 11
dead space series
Killzone series

Old 03-24-2013, 12:36 AM

Liked: 21
Fallout New Vegas
Skyrim

Except for maybe The Last of Us, I imagine these two games will be the only rotation I have until the new console comes out or Fallout4 is released.

My gaming style has changed so much over the past 2 years. It used to COD, Madden, Tiger Woods...now I don't even blink when I pass then at the store. It's Oblivion that changed everything, made me realize what I want as a gaming experience. I've never played an Unchartered or an Assasins Creed, but if I can game only 10 hours a month it's going to be in a world that I enjoy and have become quite familiar with.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 10
Oh man. I've replayed the following:

Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas
Costume Quest
Stacking
Heavy Rain
Infamous
Old 03-30-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

I've replayed parts of Journey already (without multiplayer), so that I can find the hidden mosaics. I've been wrapped up in listening to the soundtrack as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Uncharted 2, Tomb Raider, Dark Souls, Demon Souls.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
This is a great idea for a thread. As someone who can't stand how games are becoming a 'throwaway' item, relevant for two minutes until the next new release, I relish replaying the games I keep. Look at today's date; Bioshock Infinite released 4 days ago as of this post. I swear I've already read a blog somewhere saying "Bioshock Infinite was a great game but...". I like revisiting a good story and world.

I'm starting a replay of The Darkness. It was the second game I purchased after Heavenly Sword (which I also still have). As I play it again now I can see how much detail and care went into this game, even if it's far from perfect. An excellent story told in a cool way. Recommended bargain bin find.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Assassin's Creed II
Castle Crashers
Dead Nation
Demon's Souls & Dark Souls
Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires
God Of War III
Heavy Rain
I Am Alive
ICO / SOTC Collection
Infamous 1 & 2
Journey
Metal Gear Solid 4
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2
Prince Of Persia Trilogy HD
Resident Evil 5
Shatter
Stranglehold
Stuntman: Ignition
Super Stardust HD
Tokyo Jungle
Uncharted 1, 2, & 3
Valkyria Chronicles
The Walking Dead
(TellTale)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

- Jer
Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I just started Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and I can tell you right now I definitely plan on replaying it.

I've only started to play RPGs relatively recently, but those games are designed for their replayability (to play as different classes, different morality paths, to see effects of different decisions, etc), and I've replayed the following at least once (2 times total), and I've starred the ones I'd play again:

Mass Effect (3.5 playthroughs total to date)
Mass Efect 2* (currently on my 4th time through)
Mass Effect 3* (looking forward to replaying with all DLC installed)
Dragon Age II
Fallout 3*

Non-RPG games I've played multiple times and would play again if I had more time:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (6 complete playthroughs to date)
Uncharted 2 (3 playthroughs)
Uncharted 3 (3 playthroughs)
Bioshock (4 playthroughs)
Bioshock 2 (3 playthroughs)

There are other favorite games I've played multiple times, but at this stage, I don't know if I'd ever get back into them:

Assassins Creed II
Dead Nation
Batman Arkham Asylum (still trying to find time for a 2nd playthrough of Arkham City)

I'd also point out, one other reason I hold on to games is in the event the DLC ever goes on sale.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170

The original Motorstorm.

I think this game STILL holds up. Yeah, it might look a bit ancient now that the PS3 is like 7 years old, but I'm telling you.... This game was running thangs early in the PS3 lifecycle. I actually imported the Japanese version, which for some reason released almost 6 months before the US version. It cost me about $95 to get the import, but it was worth every little penny. The only other PS3 game I was playing at the time was Resistance: Fall of Man. For me, that first Xmas in 2006 for the PS3 wasn't so horrible, because I had two killer games to play. Resistance was no Halo killer, but it was a decent game in it's own right. Motorstorm was even better. Talk about next-gen. Motorstorm looked plenty next-gen back in December of 2006, trust me. Seeing the mud all glistening in the sun like that, with those New Mexico landscapes... Man, it was pretty freaking awesome. The slow-motion replays of your epic wrecks, with your dude flying in the air off the side of a huge cliff. What about the long tracks, where you could start out in 1st place, end up in last place, and amazingly get back to first place before the race was completely finished.

I've got much love for the original Motorstorm. Most will say that Pacific Rift and Apocalypse are better Motorstorms, but there is something about that original game. It has that launch feel for me, which makes it even more special, I know most folks didn't get it till Spring/Summer 2007.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:25 PM

I definitely agree with Demons/Dark Souls and the Uncharted series. Most of my replay time was spent on Rock Band DLC, though.
I would love to play through Metal Gear Solid 4 again but thinking about the between-chapter installs always changes my mind.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoface View Post

I definitely agree with Demons/Dark Souls and the Uncharted series. Most of my replay time was spent on Rock Band DLC, though.
I would love to play through Metal Gear Solid 4 again but thinking about the between-chapter installs always changes my mind.

MGS4 has been patched so that you can install everything at once at the beginning and adds trophy support too.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

MGS4 has been patched so that you can install everything at once at the beginning and adds trophy support too.

eek.gif I had no idea! The last thing I heard was fairly shortly after trophy support was added to PS3 and they said MGS4 would never get them and that they had no plans to change the way the installs worked. You just made my day.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've read that MGS4's platinum trophy requires a minimum of eight playthroughs. I sort of feel like that's Kojima just messing with trophy hunters.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 PM

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls has sucked up such a high percentage of my gaming time...it's embarrassing. I haven't played Demon's Souls in a very long time but just got a renewed interest in it and it is still challenging and fun. NA Server is still up and quite active since DeS recently went to digital download.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 PM

oh Yeah both Dark Souls and Demon souls Fer sure....My gripe with Darks souls was ..Where the hell do I go..Difficulty i could deal with in time but lots of time was confused on wher the hell I was supposed to go.Thank You Dark Souls WIKI.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyo View Post

oh Yeah both Dark Souls and Demon souls Fer sure....My gripe with Darks souls was ..Where the hell do I go..Difficulty i could deal with in time but lots of time was confused on wher the hell I was supposed to go.Thank You Dark Souls WIKI.

Same here. I understand the element of exploration, but I hate getting lost in games. It makes me feel like I'm wasting my time, particularly when I have less and less time to play as I get older.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurfieMusic View Post

Same here. I understand the element of exploration, but I hate getting lost in games. It makes me feel like I'm wasting my time, particularly when I have less and less time to play as I get older.

True that +1

Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM

L.A. Noire. A true masterpiece - innovative gameplay, engaging story, great acting, marvellous reconstruction of LA in the 40's era. One of the best games ever created IMO, I have to replay it soon cool.gif.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Uncharted 2 is one of the best games of this generation.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Warhawk

I bought this shortly after it came out. My first online game. I almost didn't buy it because it was online only. I never played anything like it before or since. On PS2, I loved Metal Gear, so I bought MGS4. Played it about a half hour & Warhawk was begging me to play. That first half hour was all I ever played it, and it's now sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

I bought Call of Duty, don't remember the number. I guess I could look on the shelf because it's sitting on it collecting dust next to MGS4. Warhawk came calling again.

I bought Gran Turismo 5 & actually have quite a bit of time into this game. Nothing like it, especially with a steering wheel. Warhawk keeps dragging me away though.

I bought Starhawk. Guess what? It's not Warhawk and it's sitting on the shelf collecting dust next to MGS4 and COD blah blah.

I find myself somewhat disinterested in the PS4. I have a feeling that without Warhawk, it will end up sitting on a shelf next to...... eek.gif
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Journey, Enslaved, Saints Row 3, and I like to revisit Super Stardust HD every few months. Also played The Force Unleashed a couple of times because I couldn't get enough of actually being a super-powered Jedi. Seems like it's really random in what type of game will keep making me come back to it. I couldn't even finish GTA IV and the Uncharted Games were one and done for me.

PSN ID: javant86

Old 04-11-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate when you tell us what made you come back for a replay.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looke89 View Post

L.A. Noire. A true masterpiece - innovative gameplay, engaging story, great acting, marvellous reconstruction of LA in the 40's era. One of the best games ever created IMO, I have to replay it soon cool.gif.

Thanks! I just picked this up today for under $15.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I always come back to Red Dead Redemption if only because it's so damn fun to ride around and shoot stuff. They really nailed the atmosphere of the old west in that game. So engrossing. I'd really like a new RDR game. Maybe use his son this time.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
While I loved RDR, I wouldn't want to see a sequel starring Marston's son. RDR was about the end of an era; the world that followed is one that has no place for guys like Marston.