Favorite Game With DTS Soundtrack - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you're on this forum odds are you have a better than average HT setup. I know Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan sound great on a souped up system but what game really makes your speakers sing? I love playing Gotham City Imposters in DTS what with all the shooting and explosions, and the new NBA Jam is equally raucous with the crowd and the announcer. What's your favorite game to play and hear in DTS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-26-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone here play games with a DTS soundtrack?
post #3 of 29 Old 03-26-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've never bothered to look.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #4 of 29 Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Really!?! Check out what games you have that run a DTS soundtrack, go to your sound options, turn off the Dolby Digital, play your game and hear the difference. It's worth it.
post #5 of 29 Old 03-26-2013, 06:41 PM

Liked: 16
Thank you robotolove for keeping the A in AVS. Here are just a samply of games that have the dts logo on the box:
Motorstorm Apocolypse
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
SSX
God of War Origins Collection
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor Warfighter
LittleBigPlanet 2
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Modnation Racers
Resistance 3
Killzone 3
Uncharted 3
God of War 3
Sports Champions
Sports Champions 2
Carnival Island
The House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut

*this list is not all inclusive, just what I've managed to collect minus what I've loaned out at the moment.

I cannot claim hearing a difference in audio quality or not, way too many are still in plastic, nor have I ever turned of Dolby Digital before playing. Wouldn't dts take priority and play default if it's checked anyway?

Several of these games have THX and/or DIVX logos too. I'd think an even cooler sound option would be those that support 7.1 natively. I don't recall any specifically but I seem to recall something about Uncharted supporting 7.1.
post #6 of 29 Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I thought the DTS track would take precedent too, but it doesn't seem to be that way on my system anyway. 99% of the games I own are downloaded so I don't know if it would be the same for a disc based game. You tell me. About a week ago I got fed up not hearing the DTS tracks on my games and I called Sony griping about it. They explained it to me and now I can't get enough. You got to make sure to turn the Dolby back on when you're done though. Now go rip the plastic off some of those games and enjoy my friend.
post #7 of 29 Old 03-28-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMad View Post

Thank you robotolove for keeping the A in AVS. Here are just a samply of games that have the dts logo on the box:
Motorstorm Apocolypse
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
SSX
God of War Origins Collection
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor Warfighter
LittleBigPlanet 2
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Modnation Racers
Resistance 3
Killzone 3
Uncharted 3
God of War 3
Sports Champions
Sports Champions 2
Carnival Island
The House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut

*this list is not all inclusive, just what I've managed to collect minus what I've loaned out at the moment.

I cannot claim hearing a difference in audio quality or not, way too many are still in plastic, nor have I ever turned of Dolby Digital before playing. Wouldn't dts take priority and play default if it's checked anyway?

Several of these games have THX and/or DIVX logos too. I'd think an even cooler sound option would be those that support 7.1 natively. I don't recall any specifically but I seem to recall something about Uncharted supporting 7.1.

You can an add Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 to the list. Both have excellent sound. Uncharted 1 was one of the first PS3 games (first video games) I played when it first came out, and I expected everything else to be similar. While I wouldn't say the sound is bad in these other games, I don't really think DTS is much of a factor in the following other games I own and have played extensively:

LittleBigPlanet 2
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Modnation Racers
Sports Champions
Sports Champions 2

In fact, until I saw that list, I wasn't even aware these had DTS sound.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-28-2013, 01:52 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

I've never bothered to look.

Me neither. Maybe I should. Sounds like it's a good idea.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

You can an add Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 to the list. Both have excellent sound. Uncharted 1 was one of the first PS3 games (first video games) I played when it first came out, and I expected everything else to be similar. While I wouldn't say the sound is bad in these other games, I don't really think DTS is much of a factor in the following other games I own and have played extensively:

LittleBigPlanet 2
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Modnation Racers
Sports Champions
Sports Champions 2

In fact, until I saw that list, I wasn't even aware these had DTS sound.
So tell me, does the DTS track automatically take precedent over the Dolby Digital track on disc based games or did you have to do what I did and go into the sound options and manually turn off Dolby Digital?
post #10 of 29 Old 03-29-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Just keep in mind DTS is still a compressed format. The PS3 can handle pure uncompressed PCM over HDMI, which is superior to DTS. Almost every game supports it. The only reason you'd want to fall back to DTS is if your receiver doesn't support audio over HDMI and you're forced to use optical.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #11 of 29 Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Just keep in mind DTS is still a compressed format. The PS3 can handle pure uncompressed PCM over HDMI, which is superior to DTS. Almost every game supports it. The only reason you'd want to fall back to DTS is if your receiver doesn't support audio over HDMI and you're forced to use optical.
Do they make a multi channel audio analog output cable for the PS3 yet? My understanding is you can achieve PCM with an old school receiver (no HDMI) but only through an analog multi channel output. I called Gamestop to see if they were available but the gum chewing 19 year old kid on the other end of the line had no idea what I was talking about.
post #12 of 29 Old 03-29-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

No they don't. Slap the kid at GS, you'll be more satisfied that way.

If your old receiver has optical/toslink, you can use that for DTS.
post #13 of 29 Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotolove View Post

Do they make a multi channel audio analog output cable for the PS3 yet? My understanding is you can achieve PCM with an old school receiver (no HDMI) but only through an analog multi channel output. I called Gamestop to see if they were available but the gum chewing 19 year old kid on the other end of the line had no idea what I was talking about.

Nope, multichannel PCM is HDMI only on the PS3. Optical can get you 2 channel PCM or DD/DTS.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #14 of 29 Old 03-29-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

No they don't. Slap the kid at GS, you'll be more satisfied that way.

If your old receiver has optical/toslink, you can use that for DTS.
All right, I'm back from Gamestop. Narrowly escaped arrest, luckily the officer posts on this forum too. I've heard stories about a magic box with HDMI input and multi channel output just for this occasion. I'm looking on the interwebs, but since I'm at work I can't give it my full attention and have had limited success. Has anyone heard of such a device? I would like to get the full potential of my ps3.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You can get a name-brand 5.1 AVR with 4 HDMI inputs, 3-D ready, for under $200. I saw one in a Fry's Electronics ad today. I was tempted to get it for my bedroom. Seems like a much more efficient and probably cheaper way to go, assuming the converter you are looking for even exists.

Here's the link to the product I mention: http://www.frys.com/product/7147642?site=sa:adpages%20page:P6_FRI%20date:032913
post #16 of 29 Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Liked: 93
DD coming out of the PS3 is high enough bitrate that it doesn't matter if you use DD or dts encoding. dts is louder, so it immediately sounds "better". Moving to LPCM over HDMI is the next thing to do, but it is still a very small improvement. You will get much nicer room correction on a new receiver running Audyssey though, which will improve the sound for everything.

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=DENAVR1713&gclid=CKOPgODqpLYCFa9eQgodoj4ACA

Refurbed Denon AVR-1713s are pretty cheap and a great way to move in to a modern HDMI receiver. It's time to let optical go. smile.gif
post #17 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

. dts is louder, so it immediately sounds "better"
I agree, louder is better.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

You can get a name-brand 5.1 AVR with 4 HDMI inputs, 3-D ready, for under $200. I saw one in a Fry's Electronics ad today. I was tempted to get it for my bedroom. Seems like a much more efficient and probably cheaper way to go, assuming the converter you are looking for even exists.

Here's the link to the product I mention: http://www.frys.com/product/7147642?site=sa:adpages%20page:P6_FRI%20date:032913

it is even cheaper at Amazon.
post #19 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I can't hang with 80 WPC. Louder is better. Hahaha! Thanks for all the receiver suggestions, an upgrade is in my near future. Upgrading is the nature of the beast of this hobby of ours, but I'm holding out out for a receiver that will push more than 100 WPC and of course HDMI. Until then, what's your favorite game to play with the DTS soundtrack?
post #20 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

You aren't going to really detect much difference between 80 and 100, if any at all. And 80 isn't all that bad when you consider sending all your bass material to a separate sub, the receiver has a lot less work to do.
post #21 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

You aren't going to really detect much difference between 80 and 100, if any at all. And 80 isn't all that bad when you consider sending all your bass material to a separate sub, the receiver has a lot less work to do.
Still, just knowing there was a 20 WPC difference would stick in my craw, know what I mean? Besides, I got a birthday coming up and I'm gonna get silly with it.
post #22 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Liked: 93
The difference between 80W and 100W is roughly 1db. That is at the point where most humans can not detect a volume change, and it doesn't matter to the ones that can notice. Even doubling to 160W is only 3db louder, which is "a bit" louder, but not by much. Twice the column takes roughly eight times the power, or 640wpc to get twice as loud as that 80w receiver. In other words, your requirement for a 100wpc receiver is nonsensical at best.

Chances are real good that you have never used more than 10wpc on your current receiver, and probably never even over 2w.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

The difference between 80W and 100W is roughly 1db. That is at the point where most humans can not detect a volume change, and it doesn't matter to the ones that can notice. Even doubling to 160W is only 3db louder, which is "a bit" louder, but not by much. Twice the column takes roughly eight times the power, or 640wpc to get twice as loud as that 80w receiver. In other words, your requirement for a 100wpc receiver is nonsensical at best.

Chances are real good that you have never used more than 10wpc on your current receiver, and probably never even over 2w.
I've read this before, but in the end its about me being happy. It makes me happy to say to my pals, "Yep, she's got 135 WPC under the hood and when I crank it up it rattles my filings loose." Is it an auditory illusion? Maybe so, but I like it. Try it. Loosen up your tie and let out a boast or a brag. It feels good. Reminds me of my school yard days, it keeps me young.
post #24 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Just be careful when you decide to buy. Some receivers are not tested/rated with all channels driven!
post #25 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Totally! I'm gonna do my homework and for as much money as I am investing, if it doesn't wow me, its going right back to the store. They hate/love me at Fry's. Hahaha!
post #26 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You want something with wow, that Infinity stuff has to go. You put that Infinity sub side-by-side next to my Outlaw LFM-1EX and you'll kick that Infinity out into the street faster than if it were on fire. And we are talking about a sub I didn't pay much more than $500 for, shipped to my door.

I realize we are way off topic, but I suggest reading about some of the no-name stuff we talk about on this forum and not spend any more money chasing specs or labels. smile.gif It's pretty easy to get a far superior system for less money than going to Fry's, just have to do a little research.

Here's my 350w Outlaw next to my 2700w Sunfire. Which one would make more of an impression when you tell your friends what you have? I'll tell you it isn't the same one that kicks ass... the Outlaw murders it.

post #27 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Dude! WTF!?! Now them's bragging rights. I see someone has been checking out my stuff. Hahaha! That's a bit out of my league at the moment ($$$). I am so strictly on a budget. Check out my post "My Craigslist Creati" and you'll see what I paid for my stuff. But I gotta say very nice, very nice. Will your mom and dad let you have a sleepover?
post #28 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I remember that thread now. Good scores!

My brother got one of the older versions of the 19xx series Denon brand new from Best Buy. Keep an eye out.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Wait, when did this thread become about audio gear rolleyes.gif I was hoping to find some info about games with great soundtracks.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page