Tiger Woods 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-30-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Have any of you guys picked up Tiger Woods 14?

It's very, very good. I'm really diggin' it. Any other players from AVS interested in joining my Country Club? Look it up: Casterly Rock

It's a private club, but if you'd like an Invite, PM me and I'll shoot an invite.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I just decided to stop after TW 12 because it just gets too expensive to rebuy all these courses every year for essentially the same game.

I have 36 total courses for that game and close to half of those are DLC. Unless the day comes that they start putting 30 courses into the game itself, then I'll stick with what I have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-31-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey, i can't argue with that. I didn't get 13 for the same reason. I still have 12 and all the courses for it.

I'm a course whore though, admittedly. I already picked up all the courses for TW14.

I didn't' play 13, but 14 is a HUGE jump graphics wise over 12. It feels more... organic. The different times of day option cannot be over-emphasized. The sunsets in particular in late afternoons are simply stunning. Coming in late on Spyglass is breathtaking.

Looking forward to checking out all the new courses.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-02-2013, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Tiger 14 has a chance to be a very good golf game, but it's pretty well crippled by scoring, stat, and leaderboard issues at the moment, along with a few presentation problems and production choices that aren't allowing it to perform to its design. Guys are seeing AI players win career mode tournaments even though they didn't shoot the lowest score and human players aren't making the tournament cut, even though they're posting scores well below the 36 hole cut line. Win a head to head match online and you're given a loss and a DNF. Those are just a few of a list of at least 50 different problems of this nature being reported in the official Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 forum.

Another common complaint is the putting camera presentation in Follow Cam mode. The swing camera jumps to distant, obscure angles on putts of ~10 feet, or longer, at the moment of impact. In a practical sense it doesn't allow the player to see the putt line in real time, but it also takes some of the player immersion out of the experience. There have been so many complaints about it that the developers are restoring the stationary camera that stays behind the golfer during putting, but elevates and tracks the ball as it rolls to the hole. It's much more realistic looking and gives you more empirical data about how the putt broke... data that you'll need for your come-backer, if you miss.

If you've tried playing head to head play in online multplayer, you know that the presenation is totally hosed there. Your opponent stays frozen after his tee shot, and you never see him move any more. The only way you know he's hit a shot is by sound. EA has acknowledged this is broken and will have it fixed in the patch. Bottom line, this *should* be a much better game after the patch is released!

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #5 of 14 Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Out of curiosity, if you win the Masters now, did they add an actual Green Jacket ceremony showing your golfer being awarded the prize or does a green jacket just show up in your list of achievements? That was my biggest gripe with TW 12. They finally after all those years got Augusta into the game, but couldn't be bothered adding an actual ceremony if you won the tournament.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-02-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Out of curiosity, if you win the Masters now, did they add an actual Green Jacket ceremony showing your golfer being awarded the prize or does a green jacket just show up in your list of achievements? That was my biggest gripe with TW 12. They finally after all those years got Augusta into the game, but couldn't be bothered adding an actual ceremony if you won the tournament.
It has been added to the Masters Historical Edition of the game. I'm still playing a rental copy of the game, but I ordered the Historic Edition yesterday from Amazon.com, once I learned that the stationary Follow putting camera is being restored and H2H mutiplayer frozen golfer camera fixes are in the patch. I guess I'll get to see my CAG be fitted with a green jacket, eventually wink.gif

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #7 of 14 Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I used to really love these games. 2004 & 2005 I was ridiculously at. Could win tourneys at 60-80 under par and piss my friends off doing it smile.gif The last one I bought was the one where you could digitize your picture into your character's face. Played it a good bit but the controls have just gotten much more sensitive and complicated as the years (and demos) have passed so it's not as much fun with the steeper learning curve. It may be a small thing but the changing of the announcers was a big disappointment to me. Loved the guys from 2004 & 2005.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

I used to really love these games. 2004 & 2005 I was ridiculously at. Could win tourneys at 60-80 under par and piss my friends off doing it smile.gif The last one I bought was the one where you could digitize your picture into your character's face. Played it a good bit but the controls have just gotten much more sensitive and complicated as the years (and demos) have passed so it's not as much fun with the steeper learning curve. It may be a small thing but the changing of the announcers was a big disappointment to me. Loved the guys from 2004 & 2005.

I had both of those on my PS2, and yes they were fun... for a while, but I got tired of them fairly quickly because they were so easy. The announcers on those were Gary McCord and David Feherty. Feherty is on Tiger 14, but he shares the mike with Jim Nance, who just doesn't quite fit this game's motif, IMO. There's also some problems with the audio in this year's game. Often times it's garbled, and the announcers are talking over each other. It's certainly not a game breaker, but I've heard better. The commentary is supposed to be getting some love in the patch so maybe it will be more polished in two or three weeks.

If you don't like sensitive and complicated controls, you'd be best advised to stay awa from Tiger 14's "Tournament" and "Simulation difficulty levels. The interface is more complicated in those levels for sure and sometimes in Simulation, I'm happy to break 76! I like that sort of challenge and depth, but I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone. I think you'd find the Amateur and Pro difficulty levels in Tiger 14 to be in step with what you were accustomed to in Tiger 04 and 05. I see winning scores in the Live Tournaments at -26 to -22 for an 18 hole round... those levels change it into a different game though. It's not golf anymore; it's precision bombi:Dng!

post #9 of 14 Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I know I am probably in the minority on this one, but the thing I miss the most from this game are the fantasy courses and fake characters.

Yes, I know that some of the fantasy courses have returned, but before there used to be so much more than the 4 they are putting out the last few years. Then, they completely eliminated all the fake characters which to me gave the game it's charm. I loved teaming up with that old guy who could barely hit it 200 yards and see if I could beat the two best CPU players.
Chairman7w likes this.

post #10 of 14 Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know I am probably in the minority on this one, but the thing I miss the most from this game are the fantasy courses and fake characters.

Yes, I know that some of the fantasy courses have returned, but before there used to be so much more than the 4 they are putting out the last few years. Then, they completely eliminated all the fake characters which to me gave the game it's charm. I loved teaming up with that old guy who could barely hit it 200 yards and see if I could beat the two best CPU players.

I can't say I'm a fan of Fantasy courses or whimsical characters, but I don't object to them being in the game as options for those who are. I've tried The Predator and Greek Isles in Tiger 13, because they were lumped in with a course bundle I bought. While they looked nice artistically, they just played too far over the top for my tastes. There are two more fantasy courses for the series as DLC, but I couldn't tell you which ones.

post #11 of 14 Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have the SimStix (http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18432956)golf club attachment for their Move? I'd like read some thoughts on how it enhances their enjoyment of the game when using it with the Move. I have a hard time just "swinging" the Move by itself without a handle to put a proper grip on and something to add some mass to help me get though my swing.

post #12 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

I can't say I'm a fan of Fantasy courses or whimsical characters, but I don't object to them being in the game as options for those who are. I've tried The Predator and Greek Isles in Tiger 13, because they were lumped in with a course bundle I bought. While they looked nice artistically, they just played too far over the top for my tastes. There are two more fantasy courses for the series as DLC, but I couldn't tell you which ones.

To me, what I loved about the fantasy courses are they are far more difficult than the regular real courses. The Predator is an absolute beast trying to navigate through that thick brush and ridiculous breaks.

Actually, the first time I played Wolf Creek I thought that was a fantasy course as well because it seemed so over the top. I couldn't believe it when I found out there was an actual course designed this way.

post #13 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To me, what I loved about the fantasy courses are they are far more difficult than the regular real courses. The Predator is an absolute beast trying to navigate through that thick brush and ridiculous breaks.

I can tell you one thing, you don't need a tricked out course to make the game difficult in Tiger 14. The new advanced shot shaping feature is tough to master in simulation and tournament difficulty in this year's game. My FIRs in Tiger 13 was 87%... it's a 52% in Tige:eek:r 14
Quote:
Actually, the first time I played Wolf Creek I thought that was a fantasy course as well because it seemed so over the top. I couldn't believe it when I found out there was an actual course designed this way.

LOL... I thought it looked and played like a neutured fantasy course the first time I saw it also! Honestly though, it is my least favorite real course in the game, although it is interesting to look at. It just feels like X-Treme Golf to me for some reason, but there's enough course variety in the game to keep me pacified.

post #14 of 14 Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think it's amazing though, when you look how far we've come.

I remember the old Links LS days... Hell, I started with Leaderboard Gold on my old Commodore 64! (if you're not familiar with it - you tube it!). I remember sitting in my barracks room in the Air Force back in '88, hunched over the keyboard as my screen would take 20 seconds to redraw between shots... LOL

Now, with TW 14, I'm chilling in my recliner at night, playing some of the worlds most incredible golf courses and hangin' out with my buddies online, competing against them, etc. That's pretty darned cool.

I know it's fashionable to talk smack about EA and hate on them, but frankly, I get hours and hours and hours of entertainment from many of their games.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page