1Likes
  • 1 Post By TonyDP

post #1 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I don't usually play contemporary military shooters -- I prefer science-fictional settings -- but I'd read that Spec Ops: The Line was more of a critique of military shooters, so I gave it a try. Having finished it, I think it's kind of amazing. The storyline is similar to Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, but more than that, the game (pretty explicitly) asks the player to think about the nature of violence and the actions we commit when playing a shooter. I don't want to say too much about the game because I think it's best experienced without spoilers, but I found it the most thought-provoking game I've played in ages.

There have been some pretty interesting commentaries on the game by various critics:

Tom Bissell's "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Shooter"
Extra Credits devoted two episodes to the game:

Brendan Keogh's 50,000 word e-book on the game, Killing is Harmless (I'm currently replaying the game, reading the book as I go)

If you're a Playstation Plus subscriber, the game is available for free, but not for much longer. Highly recommended.

Last edited by TedSeattle; 08-09-2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: updated URLs to reflect new locations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Seconded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #3 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Thirded.

Steam: Guts
post #4 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You're still a good person.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #5 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

I don't usually play contemporary military shooters -- I prefer science-fictional settings -- but I'd read that Spec Ops: The Line was more of a critique of military shooters, so I gave it a try. Having finished it, I think it's kind of amazing. The storyline is similar to Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, but more than that, the game (pretty explicitly) asks the player to think about the nature of violence and the actions we commit when playing a shooter. I don't want to say too much about the game because I think it's best experienced without spoilers, but I found it the most thought-provoking game I've played in ages.

There have been some pretty interesting commentaries on the game by various critics:

Tom Bissell's "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Shooter"
Penny Arcade's Extra Credits devoted two episodes to the game
Brendan Keogh's 50,000 word e-book on the game, Killing is Harmless (I'm currently replaying the game, reading the book as I go)

If you're a Playstation Plus subscriber, the game is available for free, but not for much longer. Highly recommended.

After reading this thread, I started playing this last night after I had downloaded it a few weeks ago when it became free for PS+ users. Loving it so far. Story seems good, violence is pretty brutal, especially when using a grenade launcher and totally gibbing someone with a direct hit. Just tried to finish Bioshock Infinite and am loving this game a lot more, had to walk away from Bioshock.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #6 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

You're still a good person.

lol

Similar to the OP, Spec Ops isn't something I would've ever played, even for free, having never touched a military style shooter before. But several months ago in another forum, someone had linked the Penny Arcade review, so I was stoked when Spec Ops was added to the IGC for Plus members. I liked it so much, I played three consecutive campaigns to get the platinum and experience the different "moral" choices. I'm also happy to report I now know who "Oscar Mike" is. tongue.gif

I can't recommend it enough, but be aware, it leaves the IGC when the PSN store updates tomorrow (April 2).
post #7 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Glad I downloaded this game. Have read nothing but good stuff about it.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Finished my first playthrough and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked how this held a mirror up to both the player and the genre overall and forced you to think about what it all means.

It was interesting to consider the choices I made.

Spoiler!

I started playing through again on Suicide Mission difficulty to try some other options and get the rest of the intel, though I'm dreading a few sections where the difficulty spiked the first time through.

In all, a very pleasant bargain bin experience. $15 well spent.

- Jer
post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I played this when it was first released and as someone who likes a game with a good story behind it, this was one of the best games I'd played in a long time. Whenever the ending of a game stays with you after you turn off the console and makes you contemplate the choices you made during the game, you know you got your money's worth.
JoeNc likes this.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page