post #1 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Full disclosure:

I'm now in my mid-thirties.

I USED (as in until about 15 years ago) to be a FANATICAL gamer. Owned nearly every system that was ever made...really did.

Then I simply lost the plot for everything but sports games around N64/PS...to this day I still figure it was due to the "first-person-ish" shooter/action games that have pretty much taken over the gaming earth, it appears to me. My brother loved a game like "Goldeneye" and I absolutely abhorred it. Simply too much for me- pretty much the way I'd sum it up if that makes sense.

But I've tried...and tried..and tried to fall in love with gaming and recapture that magic. Again and again.

I've bought the PS3 TWICE, lol. I re-convinced myself that I was simply missing something the first time around.

Now, here I am- AGAIN- convinced I may as well have just thrown $350 (for the sys, 2 controllers, games, etc) out the window.

On my second go-round, I figured (liking the first Uncharted quite a bit, actually) that I'd give the even higher (seemingly) revered #2 a try.

And? Really not into it. Just seems super tedious with 6th grade puzzles you KNOW you're going to solve, but then it takes a decent amount of time to physically do. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, I think I just lack the patience/interest in such things at this point in my life.

Then I tried Arkham Asylum..."game of the year".

After about 20 sessions and 10+ hours, I literally cannot bring myself to play it anymore. I really, really, do not like this game. The "x-ray vision" aspect of the game seems as asinine a concept as any I have ever seen in video games. Maybe I'm missing something...

I then tried an "old school" remake" "Ico and Shadow of the Colossus". I've played about 2 hours worth of "ICO" and I'm done. This was/is a supposed "classic" just cannot hold my interest. Ugh!

So I'm hopeless than, right? If I am, that's ok, I'll just give the whole thing away to a charity or needy family...anyone who will use it for what it's been designed to do. I don't even need it for BD's, lol.

But I WANT to love this thing, I really do, so I'm open to some perhaps a-typical suggestions. It's hard to say what exactly I'm into after drowning the aforementioned games, but let's just keep out those first person, "spin 360 degrees in a quarter-second" jobbers, if possible. I know this is a powerful machine that has to have something to offer me and my 11.2 channel surround sound and 84" HD screen!

Sorry for the length/rant, but I just know there's some "older" chaps around here like me who may be able to "help" me, lol.

Maybe a racing game? I think motorsport was kinda cool IIRC? Perhaps think a NES/PS3 hybrid, lmao. Great graphics but, easy, maybe even 2D play-fields and a simple narrative that cuts down (or even OUT) these minutes-long dialogs that I know everyone else seems to love. Personally, I find myself laughing at those kind of scenes in Uncharted and Batman than enjoying...I guess I just don't think video games have reached the point where they can emulate movies well enough. Just my opinion.

But the cool thing with a guy like me is: the $9 used/3 year-old games are all NEW to me, so I can really splurge, lmao!

Flame a bit if need be, but my intentions are good, I assure you...

thanks again,

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Wow...a lot to overcome.

A few ideas.
1. Heavenly Sword - Good yet compact story.
2. Dark Souls - Looking for a challenge? Get prepared to die! (Not for everyone)
3. Ratchet & Clank All for one - Have kids, great coop game.

Like you said there are literally hundreds of games for the system. I'd invest in something like gamefly or Blockbusters online pass, something you can try a bunch of different games to see how you like them.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #3 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Have you tried Little Big Planet 2? Easy to pick up, a blast to play with another person, gorgeous graphics while sticking to a 2D playing field, and because of the building tools, there are an insane number of user-created levels out there, some demonstrating eye-popping creativity.
post #4 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I recommend you pick up rock band3, buy $1500 of DLC, and then be left out high and dry.
post #5 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Get PS Plus. It will give you a constant stream of new games to try until you find something that clicks. Right now you can get the aforementioned LittleBigPlanet 2 and Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, and Demon's Souls for free, along with The Cave, Super Street Fighter IV, Closure and many others. Another benefit is you can do 60-minute trials of almost every full retail game available on the PSN to see if its something you'd like to purchase.

For atypical games, how do you feel about the Move controller? The Sports Champions games are a lot of fun. I'm also in the minority here when I recommend Modnation Racers--challenging to master but a great kart racing game with thousands of decent community tracks to try.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Journey- no narrative, at least no voices. Short game but wonderful. It's a PSN download, but also available on a disc as Journey: Collector's Edition ($28.00 on Amazon right now) which includes 3 games: Journey, flOw and Flower, all by the same developer.

Red Dead Redemption- Beautiful to look at and smooth playing third person action game. Yes you shoot things, but it's on the order of Uncharted.You sound like you want to experience the story without the game killing you constantly, right? This game has a generous auto aim (turn it on), and adjustable difficulty settings (turn it down), then enjoy the game at your pace.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #7 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

I recommend you pick up rock band3, buy $1500 of DLC, and then be left out high and dry.

Don't mind this guy...he is obviously going through some personal issues with his money management.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #8 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 47. My daughter plays PS3 all the time, but I don't have that kind of attention span anymore.

The pinball games are my favorite, two are available on PSN and both are great.
I'm going way back, but we've had a lot of fun at parties with the bowling game that's on PSN, and it's cheap.
I've just gotten into Tiger Woods Golf, and now that 14 is out, 13 can be had at a decent price. There are still some that like 12 better than 13, and it's even cheaper. I do like 13 though.
PixelJunk Monsters is fun, especially if you have a kid that's 10+ and wants a game they can play with dad. On PSN
Super Stardust is like Asteroids on steroids. One of the best games to just pick up and play ever made for any platform. On PSN
I loved playing You Don't Know Jack with friends. I was sad when we finished it and both add-on packs.

I know I'm not giving you true "gamer" games, but for me these are more fun than something I have to invest hours into. I'm sure I'll think of more later.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Try Burnout Paradise or Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit for racing games.

You might like Little BigPlanet 2. Pretty 2D platformer done in 3D graphics with level construction tools.

Some variant of Street Fighter IV or Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 might be up your alley if you like old school 2D fighting games with a modern graphical overhaul.

If you want old school challenge that isn't too reflex-intensive, you could try Demon's Souls or Dark Souls.

If you want old school challenge that is reflex-intensive, you could try Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a turn-based tactical combat game that you might like.

There are a number of PSN games that are old-school format with prettier graphics. Super Stardust HD is one of the best. I also enjoyed Shatter, Castle Crashers, and Renegade Ops, among others. Many of these have demos you can download.

- Jer
post #10 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
YES! Burnout Paradise. And I think it's only $19 on PSN! In fact, now that you've reminded me, I think I'm going to pick it back up tonight!
Chairman7w likes this.
post #11 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you've never played Tony Hawk, the Tony Hawk game on PSN will give you 100+ hours of time.
So many goals and places to explore.
post #12 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Sounds like gaming isn't for you. Go outside and play hide and seek or something.

500 gigs FTW.
post #13 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Sounds like gaming isn't for you. Go outside and play hide and seek or something.

Sigh, there's always one, I guess.

Thanks a ton all else. Funny little big planet comes up, after reading some reviews it was prolly going to be my next choice. Good ideas with the network and racing stuff too.

I loved the wii for the older games, even though the novelty of a good number of them quickly wore off I had a blast with a lot of other titles. But there's really nothing like that with the ps3 for somewhat obvious reasons, correct? Couldn't they just as easily get those TG-16 and Sega titles, at least? Or is the ps1 about as far back as I'm gonna get?

Again, thanks for the info, I'll check it all out and return with a semi-verdict. smile.gif

James

post #14 of 30 Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

Are you joking?

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #15 of 30 Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Couldn't they just as easily get those TG-16 and Sega titles, at least? Or is the ps1 about as far back as I'm gonna get?
There are a number of Sega Genesis games on the PS3, but they're pure emulation. Revenge Of Shinobi, Streets Of Rage 2, Comix Zone, and others are on PSN. There's also Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on disc, which has all of the above titles and many more.

I think there are a handful of TG-16 games on PSN also, including Bonk's Adventure.

Some Intellivision games are apparently available for free inside Playstation Home, but I've never tried them.

Midway Arcade Origins has a bunch of classic arcade games like Joust, Robotron 2084, and Spy Hunter, among others.

If you look around, there's a good chance you'll find some classic games you'll like.

- Jer
post #16 of 30 Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Judging from your thread, I think you should start playing games that you really like: Sports Games.

I think you don't want to waste time in the learning curve of trying out new games and genres. You want something fast and easy to play and understand, because it sounds that you lose interest quickly. You seam to lost interest in Uncharted 2 already. If that game didn't hold your interest,.. I really don't know what will.
post #17 of 30 Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

YES! Burnout Paradise. And I think it's only $19 on PSN! In fact, now that you've reminded me, I think I'm going to pick it back up tonight!

Need For Speed: Most Wanted is the new Burnout Paradise—literally, and possibly one of the greatest games ever. Burnout Paradise is also exceptional, I might need to re-purchase now that all the expansions are in the deluxe pack - I never played with motorcycles. Motorstorm Apocalypse!!! I actually get withdrawal symptoms when I come out of an Apocalypse online race session. Yes, the violent driving games are my favorite.

Zen Pinball 2, that's a must-have. Tesla is a truly great table.

Finally, James... I agree with all of your experiences with the PS3. I actually bought the damned thing three times. NFS: Most Wanted is the best though, I have 160 hours played on it, and I have about 8 minutes played on that Batman Arkham City game. Owned them both for about the same amount of time.

Mark Henninger
post #18 of 30 Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
mastermaybe, you sound a little bit like me. I came into PS3 out of nowhere, last gaming system I had was PS1 and only played casually, mainly sports games. However, I am now into Uncharted and GTA type games.

Anyway, for racing, I would NOT recommend Burnout Paradise or Need for Speed: Most Wanted for you. Way too arcady and and over the top drifty, and Burnout doesn't have licensed cars. You also have to learn tricks and stunts which is not ideal for a more casual gamer that wants to race.

I actually liked Need for Speed The Run a lot better. It is easily accessible arade racer but the physics seem better. The story mode was short, seemed unfinished, but fun, and it had more varied terrain in it courses and a better feel to driving. There are a lot of challenge series to extend the game and online is actually a lot of fun as well.

Also, check out Heavy Rain, at least read up about it. Part game, part interactive movie, very immersive.
post #19 of 30 Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks a lot again, guys.

I think I'm going to scoop a few of these up on the way home, tonight.

Craigslist seems to be excellent for many of these titles.

James

post #20 of 30 Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Need For Speed: Most Wanted is the new Burnout Paradise—literally, and possibly one of the greatest games ever. Burnout Paradise is also exceptional, I might need to re-purchase now that all the expansions are in the deluxe pack - I never played with motorcycles. Motorstorm Apocalypse!!! I actually get withdrawal symptoms when I come out of an Apocalypse online race session. Yes, the violent driving games are my favorite.

Zen Pinball 2, that's a must-have. Tesla is a truly great table.

Finally, James... I agree with all of your experiences with the PS3. I actually bought the damned thing three times. NFS: Most Wanted is the best though, I have 160 hours played on it, and I have about 8 minutes played on that Batman Arkham City game. Owned them both for about the same amount of time.

thanks for the POV. Going to do the motorstorm thing for sure. I REALLY liked the first one when I had the ps3, the FIRST time, lmao.

James

post #21 of 30 Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Maybe you should check out some of the PSN downloadable titles. They are usually shorter, so you might be able to find something you like and play all the way through it.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #22 of 30 Old 04-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:

If you've never played Tony Hawk, the Tony Hawk game on PSN will give you 100+ hours of time.
So many goals and places to explore.

Which Tony Hawk is this? I might DL this as well as it has been forever since I played one of these games and man are they addicting!

OP, I would suggest trying out SSX with your sports game past. I play VERY few games these days as I have just grown out of it in general it seems, but I got flat out ADDICTED to SSX for most of the past 13 months and ended up sinking WAY more hours in this game vs any I have ever played. Just a thought, but I bet you could pick it up super cheap right now.

I also just recently played the new Tomb Raider which I thought was excellent and well worth checking out.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #23 of 30 Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM

Liked: 10
Wanting to like something and liking something are two completely different things. If you're throwing all this money at something you can't really get into, maybe you're not into it. My philosophy is this: there is so much amazing content out there that I will instantly like, why waste time trying to like anything that doesn't catch your attention right away?
post #24 of 30 Old 04-08-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurfieMusic View Post

Wanting to like something and liking something are two completely different things. If you're throwing all this money at something you can't really get into, maybe you're not into it. My philosophy is this: there is so much amazing content out there that I will instantly like, why waste time trying to like anything that doesn't catch your attention right away?

It's pretty simply, really. There's a ton out there to sift through and I'd rather not spend my time doing the sifting, but instead, let others who do not mind doing that side of it make suggestions for me. If it doesn't fly this time around I'll be able to walk away quite easily knowing that this form of entertainment (and very likely, I as well) has/have very likely evolved from what I enjoyed into a new experience that simply doesn't suit me as well as it used to. Not a big deal, but I want to give it a final shot.

James

post #25 of 30 Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Which Tony Hawk is this? I might DL this as well as it has been forever since I played one of these games and man are they addicting!

OP, I would suggest trying out SSX with your sports game past. I play VERY few games these days as I have just grown out of it in general it seems, but I got flat out ADDICTED to SSX for most of the past 13 months and ended up sinking WAY more hours in this game vs any I have ever played. Just a thought, but I bet you could pick it up super cheap right now.

I also just recently played the new Tomb Raider which I thought was excellent and well worth checking out.

thanks- I'll take a look.

James

post #26 of 30 Old 04-11-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a quick update:

I grabbed Motorstorm Apocalypse off c-list yday for $10.

On my 84" screen it was simply a blast to play...even better than Motorstorm on my "old" 46" XBR4 as I recall, lol- much less hard on my eyes if that makes any sense.

I remember being a little put off by the awkwardness of the first one as far as "what to do" to move the game long/open new tracks, but I've read that's been cleared up a bit in this one. I wasn't able to try that mode yday, just open racing, but it was fun.

I'll be t multi-player is cool too, perhaps I'll be the b and c to try that later.

Thanks a lot, all. I think I'm going to go for GT 5 and or Need For Speed Most Wanted next. Oh, and LBigPlanet 2. I checked out reviews on that one yday and it was nothing like I thought it was.

thanks again, all.

James

post #27 of 30 Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
If you were really deep into the 16-bit era, you might dig castle crashers....a lot like turtles in time or final fight.

I get where you're coming from though....as I get older I'm really losing the patience for artificially long games with tons of filler. Games back then were almost never 50+ hours, even the most epic RPG topped out at 30. Most single player games could be beaten in a single sitting if you had them down....a lot has changed since then. If you're looking for something short on story and quick on gameplay, PSN games tend to be much tighter experiences.

You'll prob get bored of motorstorm before the end (seriously, don't even bother with the cutscenes), but at least make it through to the hurricane level....still one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a game.

And if you're going to play a NFS game, I highly recommend hot pursuit instead of most wanted. Most wanted isn't bad, but hot pursuit is a lot more fun IMO.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #28 of 30 Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
If you departed after the 16 bit generation, be aware that the PS3 is compatible with original Playstation games. There's a wide array of quality 2D games available for that platform that still play and look nice like the original Rayman, shooters like The Raiden Project (With almost arcade perfect ports of Raiden 1 and Raiden 2 that were so common in arcades 20 years ago), and classic gaming compilations. It's ashame that PS2 compatibility was removed since there is a wealth of classic gaming collections from that generation and scores of other amazing 2D games.

Besides Midway Arcade Origins and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and the already mentioned handful of downloadable TurboGrafx-16 games, there are also several downloads for classic games from earlier generations. There are several NeoGeo downloads up but sadly that didn't take off any better than the TG16 side did. And there is a wide range of classic arcade games available as PSP Minis that will play on your console (I'd suggest Burnin Rubber which is better remembered as Bump 'n' Jump, Lock 'n' Chase, and Vanguard). And Playstation Home has recently recieved some Konami coinops (Frogger and Time Pilot) and some remade Intellivision classics to go with a handful of earlier Namco coinops. And the only arcade accurate home release of Q*Bert is available on PSN. And there is other stuff as well (Particularly several downloads from Sega with classic Master System, Genesis, Deamcast, and arcade games) and a relatively small lineup of PS/PS2 downloads for more modern classics.

And since money isn't an issue it appears, there's Capcom's arcade download service. A bit of the pricey side at something like $3 a game when gamers could buy Capcom Classics Collection Volume 1 or Volume 2 on last gen consoles with the same content and much more while paying a fraction of that price per game. But if there's something there that interests you, it's worth downloading a few games. And more are on the way.
post #29 of 30 Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks again guys. Still going on my "rebirth" but I've been busy. Going to look at the suggested d-load options...I bet I could fit a crap-ton of those oldies on a 120G HDD.

James

post #30 of 30 Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 AM

Liked: 10
I recently picked up a PS3 after not really being tempted by the 360 or PS3 since launch. My favorite console of all time is the Genesis. I think with modern consoles, most gamers can find something that appeals to them, you may have to hunt down titles though.

What I have been playing on PS3

PINBALL ARCADE, ZEN PINBALL
VALKYRIA CHRONICLES, YAKUZA DEAD SOULS
DEMON'S SOULS, 3D DOT GAME HEROES
SONIC RACING TRANSFORMED, SPLATTERHOUSE
JUST CAUSE 2, WARHAWK, MOTORSTORM
ANARCHY REIGNS, LOLLIPOP CHAINSAW

I enjoyed War of The Monsters on PS2, there is a PS3 dl version but some features have been stripped such as multiplayer.

I imagine your best bet would be getting an XRGB3 OR FRAMEMEISTER upconverter and playing a classic console with RGB output on your HDTV. Streets of Rage 2 looks amazing when upconverted.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page