Using an HDMI splitter to separate Audio and Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I have a PS3, a Sylvania HDTV, and a Sony DVD Home Theatre System. I want the Video to go to the TV, and the Audio to come from the sound system. The tv only has one HDMI port, same as the PS3 and the Sound System. I connected the HDMI cable coming from the PS3 to an HDMI splitter, with the two output HDMI cables going to the TV and the Sound System.

The issue is that the splitter seems to only be recognizing the tv. This means that the Audio/video is going directly to the tv, with no audio to the sound system. I tried fooling around with the sound settings on the Playstation Audio Output Settings, but nothing has worked. I'm not looking to settle for diminished Audio quality by using an optical digital cable (connecting the sound system to the tv).

Am I wrong to be using a splitter, and is there anything else I should know in order to make this work?

RO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The DRM in the HDMI spec is to prevent people from copying signals.

Look for audio outputs on the back of your TV and plug those into your audio inputs on your sound system. either RCA outputs or optical.

If not, then looks for a cheap AVR like a Yamaha. You can even go a couple years back to save some money by getting a yamaha rx-665

The AVR is a video signal / audio signal router.

ps3 -> avr <- tv
_____ ^
sound system

ps. and one interesting thing I've learned... the AMOUNT of audio going to your device is based on the VIDEO speed. Send a low-res 480i signal and it sends less audio data than if you are using 1080p. I think I read that in the Oppo DVD player manual.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So your AVR only has an HDMI input but no output? Normally you go from PS3 to AVR (AVR outputs audio through speakers, of course), and then AVR to TV for video signal. Never heard of an AVR with HDMI that didn't output, but maybe that's common for HTiB set ups?

As defdog points out, fortunately, you can get a fully capable name-brand HDMI AVR for cheap, less than $200. I think Sony even offers one. Check Fry's.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It was just a crummy ASCII diagram.

Yes an AVR has HDMI inputs and outputs.

Some AVRs like the yamaha-773 can be configured to output to 2 HDMI outs at the same time.

Most sound bars and such take optical or RCA.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If the "Sony DVD Home Theatre System" only has one HDMI port, it is likely that it is just an output and not an input. If this is the case your best bet would be to connect the Home Theatre System to the PS3 via optical and then connect the PS3 to the TV via HDMI.

PSN = Hatcher14
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page