Are you for, or against video game developers listening to fans? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Firstly, personally, I'm against it. I think all decisions made by a game developer are from experience, talent, and care. I really don't think they should be trying to please us, more trying to get on with what the entire studio aggrees on and is happy with developing and spending there time on. Each individual once the game goes on sale will decide if that game appeals to them.

The gamers have no experience whatsoever in game developing, we're just experiencing them. I beleive Bioware wishes to create a 4th Mass Effect for the series, apparently they will be listening to the fans more closely this time, which I can understand after the crisis they went throgh simply because the ending didn't satisfy a few gamers, going so far as to accuse them I beleive.

That is how I feel about the subject anyway, but I'd like to hear what others here think, shoot!......oh, and no fighting, lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I'm with you on this. The instant and detailed feedback that game developers have access to these days is a curse and a blessing.

The blessing part? If there's something broken in the software it gets investigated, explained and fixed faster than ever before. Multiplayer exploits get dealt with faster. Even one single person out of thousands can get help from the source if everything else fails. It's unfortunate that we live in the age where most every game needs a patch the day it releases. Since we're stuck with it we might as well use it, having a direct conduit to the developer really makes things happen.

The curse of all the immediate feedback is that it makes the devs chase their tail trying to get everyone to like their product, an impossible task. So the axiom goes: You Can't Please Everyone. When games try to be universal the idea that makes them special is lost. Changing things around after a game is done is just squeezing the balloon at the other end- the criticism starts from the folks that liked it the way it was, then the cycle starts again.

Get a vision and stick to it- the game will be better for it.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #3 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good point you make right there. Possibly time constraints don't give testers enough time to catch every bug, or flaw in a game and so we are the last resort to find them.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
As soon as a company starts tallying sales for a game, they are listening to fans. I think you are trying to determine how far a developer should go in listening to fans. I would be surpised if a major developer does not do any 'screening' with fans for feedback. It is done for most movies and tv shows.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Though I thought the outcry against the ME3 ending was a bit overdone (I've seen much worse endings--to RPGs in particular), I'm glad Bioware responded and released a new version that fleshed out and cleared up the plot holes of the original ending, which was obviously rushed and not ready for release.

Developers are always looking for feedback--through gaming conferences, betas, discussion forums of prior installments, etc. This is a good thing. Obviously the better developers will include what works and the needed -improvements and disregard the more hair-brained ideas. I'd rather that than the developer being completely out of touch.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I think its fine for them to listen to fans....up to a point. At the end of the day, the end product needs to be the result of a creators imagination and skill. Too much outside input will destroy the integrity of the project. But when one has a franchise they intend to be around for a while, listening to fans for little tweeks and improvements is a good thing.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #7 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
They should take them into account, but not be slaves to them. Gamers only know what they want, based on what the already have experienced. The mark of a truly great game dev is to know what gamers *dont know* that they want....yet.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #8 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

After Disney have given EA permission to create Star Wars games, alot of gamers are demanding a Battlefront 3 game, or for Star Wars 1313 to to be picked up after it got canceled. I would be very very surprised if EA develope an entirely different game to what they want.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
It's never a bad thing for developers to listen to fans. They just have to be smart with the information they get.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #10 of 11 Old 05-18-2013, 01:34 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Though I thought the outcry against the ME3 ending was a bit overdone (I've seen much worse endings--to RPGs in particular), I'm glad Bioware responded and released a new version that fleshed out and cleared up the plot holes of the original ending, which was obviously rushed and not ready for release.

Developers are always looking for feedback--through gaming conferences, betas, discussion forums of prior installments, etc. This is a good thing. Obviously the better developers will include what works and the needed -improvements and disregard the more hair-brained ideas. I'd rather that than the developer being completely out of touch.

The outcry was certainly over blown. People let the ending ruin their overall experience of the game.

Multiplayer has been a huge success for ME3. And I think its well deserved as I love it. It is a great game.

I think game developers should listen to the fans. The judgements behind call of duty have been great. Black ops 2 was where a significant decline came about in the franchise.
But they did end up responding to fans, realizing that its time for CHANGE. BF4 just seems to be a remake of BF3. But theres not enough evidence to make a fair call yet.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-19-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
It's one thing to take fan input into account for your next game. It's another thing entirely to change the content of an already released game after the fact because of fan backlash (ME3, KZ2).

Good game designers know how to filter responses (from press, fans, publishers, investors, etc). Bad designers don't.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page