PS4 external USB HDD support? (NTFS???) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
anybody here know if the PS4 will support external hard drives on NTFS format? because most of our ripped movies are greater than 4gb now. especially the MKV format. or is it still the same FAT32 format?

well, PS3 media server is still working fine.....

XIM edge, ps3, yamaha RX-A1000, adcom GFAii, polk SDA2a, 65" toshiba LCD......more and more to come.....work, work, work!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
I doubt it. Either they didnt want to license NTFS for the PS3, or MS didnt want to let them....it wasnt really a technical limitation, so the same story will probably be true for the PS4.

There's always a chance it might support NTFS though, we probably wont know until it comes out....although ext3/4 support seems more likely to me.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3 of 11 Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

okay. thanks for that. oh well, i still can't decide what to get this coming black friday. xbox one or ps4? i just hate xbox live thou. i dont want to pay for multiplayer online gaming.

XIM edge, ps3, yamaha RX-A1000, adcom GFAii, polk SDA2a, 65" toshiba LCD......more and more to come.....work, work, work!!!!
post #4 of 11 Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM

Liked: 12
Unfortunately Sony can't compete if they don't charge for their multiplayer either. The PS4 will require people to pay for PS+ to play multiplayer (unless you are playing free-to-play games).

It will NOT be required for anything else though, so single player people and Netflix lovers will not notice a difference.

I, myself, think it is a wise choice by SONY. While I hate paying for things I don't use, PS+ is an awesome service and they give you wonderful games for free each month! I just downloaded XCOM, Deus Ex, and Saints Row 3 all games I was on the fence about owning.

I have no love for either SONY or Microsoft - but I trust SONY to do the right thing by gamers.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ps-plus-is-not-required-for-ps4-social-features-entertainment-apps-or-auto-updates/
digitalsafari and jaygax like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 AM

Liked: 10
Any news about PS4 and playable mkv/m2ts movies from an external ntfs hdd ???
post #6 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualunquemente View Post

Any news about PS4 and playable mkv/m2ts movies from an external ntfs hdd ???

You need to understand for Sony, giving you mkv and NTFS are not in their interest. It's the last thing they want is let users play non-copyright or encrypted movies. Not able to support NTFS is in Sony advantage because users who insist to use mkv or any unlicensed format can't use large files. Able to make users store everything in the PS4 internal hard drive is an advantage for Sony to control what you can use.

Second anything Sony wants to sell or support, they will make big deal out of it in advertising.

Of course you can always wait and see what the hackers can do...
post #7 of 11 Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

You need to understand for Sony, giving you mkv and NTFS are not in their interest.

Ok so why their latest blu-ray players (s5100 / s4100 / s3100 / s1100) does perfetly play M2TS files stored in NTFS USB HDD ????
post #8 of 11 Old 10-24-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualunquemente View Post

Ok so why their latest blu-ray players (s5100 / s4100 / s3100 / s1100) does perfetly play M2TS files stored in NTFS USB HDD ????

the PS3 will play M2TS does it not, just no NTFS support. I know you can mux bluray content to AVCHD and it'll play it.

Me thinks MS's licensing for NTFS on a video game console versus a standalone bluray player are probably different.

That doesn't even begin to address mkv support.

I recommend one of the many network streamers or set-top boxes if you really want mkv ntfs harddrive support. I wouldn't expect a PS4 to offer that given how it doesn't serve Sony's interest in anyway.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #9 of 11 Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Anyone got a Twitter account? message Yoshida and ask him, he's really good with fielding questions of this sort.

I hope it does, there is more chance since Linux has far better support for NTFS nowadays assuming the Playstation 4 operating system is based on Linux again
post #10 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

guys, its been 4 days now since PS4's release. anybody here got one? ps3 media server doesn't work for PS4? well, i think i'll just build an AMD APU HTPC from newegg then.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 AM

even if the ps4 would support ntsf or exfat or other linux formating it will never play .MKV !
Because this is not an industry standard recognised format....

you can how ever download and install "ps3 media server" or enable windows media sharing in Windows media player and stream files lager then 4gb!

windows media player how ever also does not support the .MKV format for they are pushing there own .MP4 format which is an industry standard file format, and is also recognised by playstation

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page