Help. My PS3 just died. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I hadn't played it for about a month. Tried to turn it on today, hit the power button, light turns green for a few seconds, then goes completely off. I have to physically unplug and plug back in to get the red power light to come back on.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened? Power supply? There is now yellow blinking lights.

Thanks!

EDITED: "NO" Blinking Yellow Lights. Not "NOW" DUH! I gotta be the dumbest. Sorry for the confusion.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same thing happened to me...twice. Both times just had to bite the bullet and send it in for replacement. Never got a definitive answer as to the cause but my thoughts were to the power supply. Hope you find the answer.
post #3 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax1 View Post

Same thing happened to me...twice. Both times just had to bite the bullet and send it in for replacement. Never got a definitive answer as to the cause but my thoughts were to the power supply. Hope you find the answer.

Is it a Phat?

YLOD. It's dead Jim.

Send it in for a refurb unit back (Don’t recommend) or buy the much more reliable new slim.
post #4 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well it is a newer slim model. I did replace the hard drive with a 500 gig about 6 months ago.I hope that didn't contribute to this problem. I really would like to send it off for repairs and keep the hard drive. I have a ton of saved games on it from being a plus member. I guess it's time to call Sony.

I also do have a fat 60 gig that was collecting dust.

Mike
post #5 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 AM

YLOD can be any of a number of errors (with the phats it was due to overheating), but either way it seems to be what you have.

Unfortunatly they usually swap out your unit for another, so you will lose everything on the HDD since it's encoded to each specific machine.
post #6 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 AM

Liked: 10
OMFG. I just did an update for Black Ops 2 last night, started to play one game and then it died.

I swear, its a conspiracy by Sony to force you to buy a new unit right before the PS4 comes out in November (rumored, not confirmed).
I guess I should count myself lucky. It's the ORIGINAL PS3 from launch day. All my friends have already replaced theirs and are surprised mine has lasted that long.

My error seems to be the green light of death. I've tried the reset/recover procedure, but I get the 2 beeps and still nothing. It BRIEFLY went to the home screen, but it died before I could get through settings to find the recover/restore option.

My wife has ok'ed me getting the $299 PS3 Legacy bundle with GT and 500gb so I might just bite the bullet. Is that a good package? Or should I go for the White one that comes with one year of Playstation Store Plus?

My PS3 serves as my movie and HT hub, so I can't really go without it for the next 5-6 months. Well...I could just get a $50 Blu-ray player, but then I'd have game withdrawal syndrome.

Decisions....decisions.....The new Xbox One is looking pretty good too.
post #7 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tyrant, now I am really worried about losing everything on my hard drive! Are you saying I won't be able to take the hard drive from the machine that died and put it in my fat PS3?

What I would like to do is maybe hold out for a Last of Us PS3 Bundle (if they will even exist), get that and try and move everything from the old hard drive to it.

Mike
post #8 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post

Tyrant, now I am really worried about losing everything on my hard drive! Are you saying I won't be able to take the hard drive from the machine that died and put it in my fat PS3?

What I would like to do is maybe hold out for a Last of Us PS3 Bundle (if they will even exist), get that and try and move everything from the old hard drive to it.

Yes, it will not work.

You’ll need to try to find a way to get the broken machine working long enough to back it up to get the data (or transfer); otherwise you’re SOL. If it’s a heat issue, the hair dryer trick might work… but from what I’ve heard dead slim PS3’s usually are just some random hardware fault, and the trick probably doesn’t work since it’s probably not a solder / heat issue. Give it a try (google) though.
post #9 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Mine died a while ago, and I finally sent it off to one of the Ebay guys to be reballed. I'm hoping it will last through the PS4 launch. I didn't want a slim because it's also my SACD player and I'm hoping Sony includes that functionality on the PS4. If not, then I'll know I definitely need to get some sort of Universal player and I'll bite the bullet then... Once I get it back and see if it works I can post a follow-up, he just received it on Friday.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #10 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:

If you have plus and were uploading your saves to the cloud, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to download them to a new PS3. But you'll never be able to get the saves off the old HDD itself. You can reuse the old HDD, but you'll have to wipe it first.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #11 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That really really blows. Thanks for the information though. I have a few saves on the cloud. But only a small percentage. I guess most of the free games I downloaded for being a plus member can be re-downloaded. So at least I have that. Looks like Toys R Us has a 250GB for $200 bucks. Damn!

Mike
post #12 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Mine died a while ago, and I finally sent it off to one of the Ebay guys to be reballed. I'm hoping it will last through the PS4 launch. I didn't want a slim because it's also my SACD player and I'm hoping Sony includes that functionality on the PS4. If not, then I'll know I definitely need to get some sort of Universal player and I'll bite the bullet then... Once I get it back and see if it works I can post a follow-up, he just received it on Friday.

Please keep me posted. Are they going to try and keep your hard drive with everything on it?

Mike
post #13 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Sony has already stated no SACD on PS4. There's even some talk that there will be no CD playback on PS4.
post #14 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:

That really really blows. Thanks for the information though. I have a few saves on the cloud. But only a small percentage. I guess most of the free games I downloaded for being a plus member can be re-downloaded. So at least I have that. Looks like Toys R Us has a 250GB for $200 bucks. Damn!

Too bad you didn't have them all up there. frown.gif

It's good practice to keep a backup, I only have one PS3 but I always make sure to use cloud saves, just in case.

Anything you've even downloaded on plus, you should be able to redownload. It doesn't matter if they're no longer offering it to new signups, you can still get it again.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #15 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a problem with the solder connections. The unit would always make a cracking noise, especially when first starting up and shortly after turning off. I just figured it was normal since it did it from the very beginning.

Mike
post #16 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please keep me posted. Are they going to try and keep your hard drive with everything on it?

Hard drive will be intact. It's just replacing that solder on the motherboard that apparently cracks and results in the majority of failures. He also cleans up all of the components to help with heat flow. It was a Motorstorm edition phat bought new, so it was from whatever timeframe they were released. I bought it the same holiday season they came out with that edition.

Anyway, I just got an email from him that it shipped out today. He said it's working fine now, and all cleaned up, looks like new. I'll update once I receive it.

post #17 of 29 Old 06-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I'm pretty sure Sony has already stated no SACD on PS4. There's even some talk that there will be no CD playback on PS4.

Ok, I was trying to research that, because it seems insane. Apparently the original source is a twitter post, in japanese, from back in February, from a japanese journalist who claims that Sony told him the PS4 would not play SACDs or CDs, as translated by some guy on NeoGaf, then quoted as gospel on various forums with no links to the original of course. I'll wait a few weeks till E3 for some more details before I worry about it too much. I should be okay with my reballed PS3 for at least 6 months.

post #18 of 29 Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hard drive will be intact. It's just replacing that solder on the motherboard that apparently cracks and results in the majority of failures. He also cleans up all of the components to help with heat flow. It was a Motorstorm edition phat bought new, so it was from whatever timeframe they were released. I bought it the same holiday season they came out with that edition.

Anyway, I just got an email from him that it shipped out today. He said it's working fine now, and all cleaned up, looks like new. I'll update once I receive it.

Hey, that's great news and it gives me hope. I actually took a shop vac to my PS3 last night and sucked all the dust out of it. It actually turned on and ran for about two hours before shutting down completely. So I am definitely going to look into this reballing thing of yours.

Mike
post #19 of 29 Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey, that's great news and it gives me hope. I actually took a shop vac to my PS3 last night and sucked all the dust out of it. It actually turned on and ran for about two hours before shutting down completely. So I am definitely going to look into this reballing thing of yours.

Well, it's working. Hard drive fine. Even returned the game disc that was still inside it. Obviously no comments about longevity yet, but turnaround, shipping, and communication were great. Seller was iwishicouldkflip
The listing i purchased was: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLAYSTATION-3-XBOX-360-REBALL-REPAIR-FAST-AND-EXCELLENT-SERVICE-/330759695678?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

He just sent me an email asking a few questions, like which system I had and if any repairs had been attempted, then sent me the address to send it to.

Things always seem scammy to me on Ebay, but compared to a company operating just via a regular website you're actually able to see verified feedback and you have recourse if anything goes awry. There were other ones also on Ebay, some just a tad cheaper and some more expensive, but I liked this guy's feedback and turnaround time, and figured I'd give a skater a chance at his entreprenurial venture.

If you got it working again, maybe you can get a quick backup done. Always preferable.

post #20 of 29 Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm happy to hear that worked out for you.

I just decided to give Sony some more of my money and ordered the PS3 bundle with Assassins Creed III. I should have it by tomorrow.

I actually thought I was going to get the old system to work last night. I powered it up and it stayed on for about 5 minutes. Long enough for it to complete a system restore. Then seconds later, it died again.

Mike
post #21 of 29 Old 08-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Just FYI, ~60 days later and my PS3 is still working. I'll be happy if it lasts till the PS4 comes out, but a reball seems like it should be a semi-permanent fix, as opposed to a reflow, so hopefully it just keeps chugging along for years to come (as long as I didn't jinx myself by posting this...)

post #22 of 29 Old 08-03-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's great! You're making me wish I went that route.

Mike
post #23 of 29 Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Just FYI, ~60 days later and my PS3 is still working. I'll be happy if it lasts till the PS4 comes out, but a reball seems like it should be a semi-permanent fix, as opposed to a reflow, so hopefully it just keeps chugging along for years to come (as long as I didn't jinx myself by posting this...)
Just wondering if your PS3 is still going 4 months later after being reballed?
post #24 of 29 Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

[quote name="Mounta1n" url="/t/1475453/help-my-ps3-just-died#post_23592732"]Just FYI, ~60 days later and my PS3 is still working. I'll be happy if it lasts till the PS4 comes out, but a reball seems like it should be a semi-permanent fix, as opposed to a reflow, so hopefully it just keeps chugging along for years to come (as long as I didn't jinx myself by posting this...)[/quote]Just wondering if your PS3 is still going 4 months later after being reballed?

Yes. No problems. Only one month till PS4! After which I might use the ps3 only for SACDs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

post #25 of 29 Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Good to hear, thanks for the update. I really should've had mine reballed I guess. It may be too late for me now that I've done a reflow so many times on mine.
post #26 of 29 Old 10-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

Good to hear, thanks for the update. I really should've had mine reballed I guess. It may be too late for me now that I've done a reflow so many times on mine.

Take it as a month to get caught up on everything else in your life before the PS4 comes out. Good time of year to get outside anyway.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

post #27 of 29 Old 10-13-2013, 07:32 PM

I have a question. My ps3 had been fine. I go to play a game and it said it was not shut down properly. So I reboot it and it locks up at the boot. I follow the instructions on line to do safe mode and reset it. I go through each option and the same thing always happens. It reboots. Then starts the initial set up, but the screen has missing sections that are diagonal. And if you go ahead and do the set up it locks up. Any ideas?
post #28 of 29 Old 11-01-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Well, had bought the orginal PS3 from Sony for $300 way back then, do not know why I bought it for since do not play any games but on the other hand when Blu-Ray came out and 3D my PS3 saved me money since did not had to buy 2 other DVd players, now last night inserted a movie into the player and Gabam the red light and a green light started blinking and my Video got stuck and could not get it out to save my life, anyways took it to a local repair shop and they were able to get the video out which is great it was a Netflix rental. the shop told me that it was running hot and I could hear it and then the PS3 shut down again, the gentlemen stated if I would turn my PS3 in that I could get a refurbished for $125 within a week or so.

My question is this have seen on the PS 3 thread about a heat gun for $20 from Home Depot, that does not make sence to me ( more Heat ) what am i missing?????? considiring on just getting the Sony S5100 for $88 and calling it quits, what are your suggestions if any.

Thanks

Ralph
post #29 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Well, had bought the orginal PS3 from Sony for $300 way back then, do not know why I bought it for since do not play any games but on the other hand when Blu-Ray came out and 3D my PS3 saved me money since did not had to buy 2 other DVd players, now last night inserted a movie into the player and Gabam the red light and a green light started blinking and my Video got stuck and could not get it out to save my life, anyways took it to a local repair shop and they were able to get the video out which is great it was a Netflix rental. the shop told me that it was running hot and I could hear it and then the PS3 shut down again, the gentlemen stated if I would turn my PS3 in that I could get a refurbished for $125 within a week or so.

My question is this have seen on the PS 3 thread about a heat gun for $20 from Home Depot, that does not make sence to me ( more Heat ) what am i missing?????? considiring on just getting the Sony S5100 for $88 and calling it quits, what are your suggestions if any.

Thanks

I've done the heat gun fix MANY times on my older PS3 fat before it finally quit for good. Each one lasted me a few months before I had to do it again. You should search youtube, there are some good video's on how to re apply the thermal compound to the heatsink ( that's what the heat gun's for ) - but beware, you've got to follow it VERY CLOSELY. Also, the connections in the PS3 are super delicate, ie - the cable from the blue ray to the board, if you rip it out, it's toast. If you're thinking about just throwing in the towel and getting a BD player, you might as well spend the money on a heat gun and try it yourself. You'll also need thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5, rubbing alchohol, and a few various screwdrivers.

I think this is the video I used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

and a link to some thermal paste: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Thermal+Compound+%2f+Grease-_-N82E16835100007&gclid=CPPDjITKxboCFdGe4AodKzQAzQ

Denon X4000 / Onkyo M282 amp
2 x PSB T6, 4 x PSB B5, 2 x PSB B4, 1 x PSB C5
2 x Rythmik LV12r
Dual Turntable
HTPC / gaming PC
Samsung PN60e530 Plasma
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page