Tekken Revolution.... exclusive PS3 fighting action for free - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I didn't see this coming. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is my favorite PS3 release, and apparently Namco is releasing a new game built on its engine. Two things are known so far:

- Tekken Revolution will be free (no details on DLC options yet)
- It releases on Tuesday, June 11th!

UPDATE: Here's a description from Namco:
Quote:
Crafted by NAMCO BANDAI Games' internal TEKKEN development team, TEKKEN REVOLUTION provides fighting game fans and newcomers alike the hard-hitting gameplay of the famed franchise. Choose from an initial cast of eight iconic TEKKEN characters to train and battle against AI opponents in Arcade Mode or take on fearsome human rivals spanning the globe through online Ranked and Player Matches. The game also features new bone-crunching Special Arts and Critical Arts moves designed to help newcomers deliver hard-hitting attacks and advanced players to employ new strategies with their favorite fighters. For the first time in TEKKEN history players will be able to level-up their characters, increasing three key attributes; Strength, Endurance and Vigor, to create a combatant tuned to individual play styles. Develop a defensive tank character with high HP to withstand knockout blows while offense focused players can create a damage-inflicting character with low health but high critical hit rates to devastate opponents with a flurry of attacks.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Free-to-play for a fighting game sounds like a recipe for disaster if they aren't extremely careful with the microtransactions. Competitive fighting game fans won't tolerate a pay-to-win setup, and it's hard to believe they'd make their money back on character and costume DLC alone...

- Jer
post #3 of 10 Old 07-27-2013, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

Free-to-play for a fighting game sounds like a recipe for disaster if they aren't extremely careful with the microtransactions. Competitive fighting game fans won't tolerate a pay-to-win setup, and it's hard to believe they'd make their money back on character and costume DLC alone...

- Jer

Surprised no one is talking about this game. I'm wondering if people feel it IS pay-to-win. I'm wondering if you get weaker opponents when using the coins you have to buy, since it seems like 70% of my matches end up being against higher ranked players; I'd think it would even out, but it doesn't.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have been on this game non stop for the past month or so. I've played a few hundred hours and have spent only $5. It is a ton of fun. They are on pace to have the game downloaded two million times, so I guess it is successful (plenty of opponents are online). The netcode is fabulous - even many 3-bar matches feel good (5 bar being best). Overall, the game is a LOT easier for newbies to get into compared to Tekken Tag Tournament 2, which can be overwhelming for lower-skilled, early players. It's a great game.

To answer your question, in ranked mode, you can choose to only match up with people who's rank title is within two or three of your rank. Remember that rank has nothing to do with their XP level and stat booster points earned. So a REALLY good but kinda new Tekken Revolution player who has ranked up to level 8 (15 is the current max) will play players ranked 5 through 11 at default rank settings. He may only have 50 skill points because he is still new to the game, but his opponents may have 150 skill points (200 is max) so their characters are a lot stronger (Power stat boost) tougher (Endurance stat boost) and/or unleash criticals more often while getting into Rage mode earlier (Vigor stat boost).

These advantages help, but don't mean an auto-win for the higher stat opponent. Namco has applied the effectiveness of these boosts at a very low rate, and the upcoming patch will decrease their effectiveness even more. If you are having difficulty against a certain strategy or character, let me know and I'll post some tips since I'm pretty good at the game so far (mention which character you use).

The new patch comes early this week:
Quote:

The official website for Tekken Revolution has been recently updated with new information for an upcoming update for the free-to-play title on the 16th of July. The site lists multiple new additions such as Dragunov and Hwoarang being added to the roster, a "Warm-Up Space" mode, a PlayStation Store selection on the main menu which allows you to buy Premium Coins, "Reset Drinks," Costumes & Premium Effects as well as adding new difficulty levels to the Arcade mode and more.

• Arcade mode to have difficulty levels, depending on the setting; your AI opponent's stats may differ. You can gain better rewards by selecting a higher difficulty.
  • Dan ranks limit have increased to 19th Dan (Savior).
  • Lvl 60 is the new level limit.
  • Critical Hits damage values has been altered.
  • Rage damage values has been altered.
  • Stat boost values have also been altered.

The patch is out in Japan/Europe and the stats have been found to have the following adjustment:

- Power points are -50% less effective than before
- Endurance points are -25% less effective than before
- Vigor points don't increase the crit rate as quickly as before; it is unclear if Rage activates earlier or later than before

200 remains the cap for skill points in any given category, but since you can now acquire 240 skill points, you have to spend the extra 40 in another stat if you already maxed out a single category. Lastly, an original Tekken character has been voted on to be added to the cast and was revealed at Comic Con. She's a female vampire and will have her own fighting style:

post #5 of 10 Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This game was an instant delete for me. It felt like some chintzy "free" iPhone game had taken over my TV. I really wish there was a $20 paid option for those so inclined.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Cool. Going to check this out. For some reason when I saw this posted originally I thought it was going to be a PS4 title, and the Playstation's answer to KI on XB1.

Also Joe praising the netcode is a good sign. I know you would be the first person in here complaining if it wasn't up to a reasonably competitive standard.

How many characters are available for free, and do they rotate in characters for free each week like they do in LoL so you can try before you buy?

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #7 of 10 Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

setguillaume:

There is a pay-option. It's called Tekken Tag Tournament 2. You can even play solo mode if you prefer.

This free release of TR allows people to play five games online every 2.5 hours at no charge (or once every 30 minutes), and if you win your match while using a premium ticket (or .25 cent token), you can play all you want since you are repaid with another premium ticket for beating an opponent.

As I said, after playing a ton of fights (close to two thousand maybe), and I've only spent $5 on 30 tokens (discount for bulk purcchase). Even then, I've used only half of the tokens so far. TR even gives you bonus free premium tickets for logging regularly and winning a lo of fights. It is not a money draining scheme at all like some cell phone games.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Found the site and read up a bit. I am a bit disappointed in the need to buy coins as opposed to paying for characters / cosmetics like I had assumed it would be. If you are good I can see the need to not need a ton of tokens, but I will be coming from SF4 with not a lot of Tekken experience and am likely to get my ass kicked for the first while.

Still worth giving a shot imo. I'll give it a try.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #9 of 10 Old 07-30-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

Cool. Going to check this out. For some reason when I saw this posted originally I thought it was going to be a PS4 title, and the Playstation's answer to KI on XB1.

Also Joe praising the netcode is a good sign. I know you would be the first person in here complaining if it wasn't up to a reasonably competitive standard.

How many characters are available for free, and do they rotate in characters for free each week like they do in LoL so you can try before you buy?
Yeah, the netcode is outstanding. Last night I broke four throw attempts in a row from a King player. The netcode is good enough to see what arm he is using to throw me and react in time with the right input to work, pretty much like offline play (you have 1/5th of a second to enter the command once the grab connects to escape it).

The game starts with eight characters that never switch out:

Law
Paul

(easy to use for beginners)

Asuka
Lars
Lili
King

(a bit more advanced)

Kazuya
Jack-6

(requires more skill to use well)

There are initially eight additional characters that can be unlocked randomly with Gift Points earned from fighting online or vs. the computer (sometimes weekend promotions give you 3x-5x for all Gift Points earned):

Bryan
Leo

(easy to use for beginners)

Asuka
Dragonov
Jin
Steve

(a bit more advanced)

Hwoarang
Xiaoyu

(requires more skill to use well)

More characters a certain to come, including at the Vampire girl above who has never been in the franchise. Heihachi, Jinpachi, Ogre and Mokujin variants are bosses in the arcade mode, so they are certain to appear at some point.

You unlock the characters at 1K Gift Points, 7K, 30K, and then every +30K afterwards. At 180K you will have all 16 characters. If they add the entire TTT2 roster, there will easily be 50 characters to choose from.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

Found the site and read up a bit. I am a bit disappointed in the need to buy coins as opposed to paying for characters / cosmetics like I had assumed it would be. If you are good I can see the need to not need a ton of tokens, but I will be coming from SF4 with not a lot of Tekken experience and am likely to get my ass kicked for the first while.

Still worth giving a shot imo. I'll give it a try.

The update today gives us a practice area to play in for free. You can test your combos, movements and move properties there all you want.

Playing arcade mode, if you keep it on easy you can fight against an attacking computer that you can handle as you get used to it. However, that only works twice an hour for free.

When you are ready to face online opponents, the game has a structure that shouldn't overwhelm you much. To rank up, people uually have their settings in a way that let's them play people close to their rank only. You won't face a lot of top dogs because of it. Most of your opponents will be early players who haven't leveled up yet. Again you can play five of these for free every 2.5 hours.

Finally, you can go to the lobby to search for rooms of players that are at your XP level or below. You can also make your own room and kick out people who are too advanced. There is now an option to turn of stats in lobby mode (in the patch later today), so everyone battles with 0 in Power, Endurance and Vigor if you wish.

Let me know if you have any general questions about how the gameplay works.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page