243K views 12K replies 184 participants last post by  Abaddon 
#1 ·

I'd say Destruction 2.0 got an upgrade.

See less See more
1 1
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23471302

If you haven't already, upgrade to the Pro GameStop membership before you trade in all your current gen stuff. The pro membership will give you an extra 50% trade in bonus coupon on everything you trade in plus an aditonal 10% on all games ans accessories on top of the 50%. I did this today and was able to get a whopping $687 In credit. Next gen, no problem. Now to figure out what console to get. I might just have to get both.

This, times 1,000.*

*Well, all except for the last sentence.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23471319

This, times 1,000.*

*Well, all except for the last sentence.

People are offloading the 360s on Craigslist right now for cheap! I picked up a 4 gb slim with 3 controllers, halo 4, bioshock infinite, blops 2, Crysis 3, and AC2 and a kinect for $140. GameStop gave me $250+ in credit. With a little research and that pro coupon, the next gen consoles could be a real bargain.

Hell, I may even get two xbones and send one to spyder

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23471392

People are offloading the 360s on Craigslist right now for cheap! I picked up a 4 gb slim with 3 controllers, halo 4, bioshock infinite, blops 2, Crysis 3, and AC2 and a kinect for $140. GameStop gave me $250+ in credit. With a little research and that pro coupon, the next gen consoles could be a real bargain.

Hell, I may even get two xbones and send one to spyder

Yeah, I traded in over $12,000 worth of Xbox consoles that I bought for $20 each between Oct-Dec when they did the double credit for a couple of months. Turned those dollars into even more "real" money by flipping Skylanders from them to guilt-riddled parents on eBay. I also used a lot of my credit to get Amazon gift cards in anticipation of needing a new vid card for my computer and other upcoming purchases. Recently, GS added Shell gas cards to the list! I picked up $600 worth of those two weeks ago. Who doesn't need gas? After putting down $100 each on a PS4 to keep and another $100 on an Xbone to sell, I burned through most of my money quickly. The guys give me crap now, since there's only $22 left on my account. Unfortunately, it's been really slow the past couple of months, so not much to trade in right now, even though my 50% extra coupon is right around the corner.

Anyways, it's likely best to save your money. I don't want you to blow $500 on a doorstop for me...although I'm sure my son would love it.

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23471250

One question. Does preordering the BF4 bundle constitute a BF4 preorder or will it be a vanilla? Would be from Gamestop if that makes a difference.

Some own else can chime in with past experience, but I asked the GameStop employee the same question and he said it would include the bonuses, the game is not packed with the console, but in the chance it didn't have the bonuses we could work something out and he could get me a code.

Trade- in credit is tax free, Im leaning towards getting games from Amazon and consoles from GameStop. I know so many RL people and a few Internet pals that are trading in Xbox, and keeping the PS3, that's what I did; still trying to find BF3 for $5 on Craigslist.

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23471431

Yeah, I traded in over $12,000 worth of Xbox consoles that I bought for $20 each between Oct-Dec when they did the double credit for a couple of months. Turned those dollars into even more "real" money by flipping Skylanders from them to guilt-riddled parents on eBay. I also used a lot of my credit to get Amazon gift cards in anticipation of needing a new vid card for my computer and other upcoming purchases. Recently, GS added Shell gas cards to the list! I picked up $600 worth of those two weeks ago. Who doesn't need gas? After putting down $100 each on a PS4 to keep and another $100 on an Xbone to sell, I burned through most of my money quickly. The guys give me crap now, since there's only $22 left on my account. Unfortunately, it's been really slow the past couple of months, so not much to trade in right now, even though my 50% extra coupon is right around the corner.

Anyways, it's likely best to save your money. I don't want you to blow $500 on a doorstop for me...although I'm sure my son would love it.

How many 360s did you buy at $20 and where did you get them at.

What was your final profit (i.e. you spent $2,000 on used 360s but got $12,000 in credit, so you you are up $10,000)......

Also, how are you getting another 50% coupon, do pro members get this coupon yearly>?

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23471742

Some own else can chime in with past experience, but I asked the GameStop employee the same question and he said it would include the bonuses, the game is not packed with the console, but in the chance it didn't have the bonuses we could work something out and he could get me a code.

Trade- in credit is tax free, Im leaning towards getting games from Amazon and consoles from GameStop. I know so many RL people and a few Internet pals that are trading in Xbox, and keeping the PS3, that's what I did; still trying to find BF3 for $5 on Craigslist.

Pretty sure these bundles are store bundles, and not official SKU bundles. So Sony isn't doing it, amazon (or GS/BB) is just throwing in a retail version of the game and plus for $10 off.

Should get all the same pre-orders.

I’m a little disheartened to hear BF4 is going to be $110 off the bat if I go with it. They announced Premium (season pass) is $50.

I’ll probably give in and grab it all; but I’m now wondering if I can just pass some time in KZ:SF among others and wait for the “Premium GOTY” for a flat $60. Sonys got to hurry up and announce some more exclusives! Turth be told I have way to much current gen still on my table as well that could tide me over.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23472952

I’m a little disheartened to hear BF4 is going to be $110 off the bat if I go with it. They announced Premium (season pass) is $50.

Ya, the $110 does sting, but the way I look at it, for a piece of media to have given me 270+ hours of entertainment (which is what I am at) for that price works out to:

$0.40 an hour..... now that's value, especially with all the new maps and content DICE provided over the years to keep the game somewhat fresh.

#84 ·
I'm around 9 or ten cents an hour depending on if you include my PC purchase or not. Very much worth the gaming dollars.

I have a game plan but need some questions answered to nail it down. My Live expires in September just before the BF4 beta comes out. That sucks but I can still try it on my PC so not much concern there. May also pick up BF3 used on PS3, not sure.

Anyway, am looking to go all in and trade all my 360s including my slim, all the games, and all accessories to Gamestop. I'm hoping to knock a really good chunk off the price of a PS4. So if I reup my GS pro I get a 50% bonus on trade ins? I'm guessing its a one time use. How long will the upgrade deal run before they shut it down and does the coupon expire and if so when? Along those same lines, will the current gen console trade in value drop as we get closer to launch, ie better to trade sooner or can I wait a month or two?

Basically I'm looking to trade it all in and get the most bang for my buck but at the same time not waste the Live I have left.

I've been battling this decision a lot if you've been on the Xbox forums you have seen it but I've finally exhausted all other avenues. Microsoft may have a good product but its been their my way or highway attitude that finally drove me off. The PS4 may have the crappiest headset ever but at least they have one included and aren't telling customers that screaming over surround sound at your console is the way to chat.

At the end of the day my 360s will be useless without Live and I am not paying for two online services. PSN transfers over so I might snag it up when I trade everything in. Worse to worst I may trade it all after the 4th holiday and just have an all out fest of 360 fun for one last hoorah.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23472952

I’ll probably give in and grab it all; but I’m now wondering if I can just pass some time in KZ:SF among others and wait for the “Premium GOTY” for a flat $60.

Does anyone remember how long after release one could get the disc and premium for $60 or less?

BF3 October 2011

Premium ~March 2012

I picked up PS3 BF3 Premium disc for $25 on Amazon on Black Friday 2012

Either way, think you might wait 6-8 months to see a Premium disc for $60 in 2014, then all the dedicated players are Colonels.

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23472901

How many 360s did you buy at $20 and where did you get them at.

What was your final profit (i.e. you spent $2,000 on used 360s but got $12,000 in credit, so you you are up $10,000)......

Also, how are you getting another 50% coupon, do pro members get this coupon yearly>?

Your numbers are about right and I traded in about 100 consoles over a couple of months when the double credit was running nearly every day. Once a week, I'd turn in two, drive 2 miles, turn in another two, another 3 miles, another two, etc. Typically, I'd turn in about 10 per day between five stores since the GS guys all told me not to trade in more than that and get the boot. With all five stores within 12 miles of me, I'd make about $1100 - $1200 per day in GS credit for my $200 or less cash laid out. (I get a lot of people that tend to just give me consoles, particularly Xbox 360s, lol.) The ones I did buy, I bought locally, mostly from pawn shops. I'd usually get them 10 - 20 at a time, so it was pretty easy. Most just had a stuck tray, a "problem" that takes me less than two minutes to fix.

The best part was using my GS credit to get Skylanders for $15 each and flip them on eBay for $35 apiece, thus turning GS credit into real money. The gas cards are nice too; we're covered on that for at least 8 months. In all, I'd say I spent about $2K out of pocket and netted about $20K in return as either real money or gift cards when it was all said and done.

As far as the coupon goes, it's just about time for me to renew my membership, so that's where it comes from. I don't get more than one, just like you.

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23473161

Does anyone remember how long after release one could get the disc and premium for $60 or less?

BF3 October 2011

Premium ~March 2012

I picked up PS3 BF3 Premium disc for $25 on Amazon on Black Friday 2012

Either way, think you might wait 6-8 months to see a Premium disc for $60 in 2014, then all the dedicated players are Colonels.

True. And they’ll be wondering why a staff sergeant is pwning them.

I took a long break from BF3 after buying the limited edition day 1, then picked up premium on sale for $40. Went from rank 15-45 in a few weeks or so. Honestly, rank maters not to me, but unlocking the gun I’d like and need. It’s probably all talk anyways, I know I’ll end up caving.

I almost do wish these launches were as sparse as the 360/PS3 launches though. BF is the perfect launch game to sink all your time into the first year while Dev’s get their **** together. Appears that’s not going to be the case this launch, with both platforms making sure year 1 is full of goodies.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23473141

So if I reup my GS pro I get a 50% bonus on trade ins? I'm guessing its a one time use. How long will the upgrade deal run before they shut it down and does the coupon expire and if so when? Along those same lines, will the current gen console trade in value drop as we get closer to launch, ie better to trade sooner or can I wait a month or two?

One time use, mine said it expired in August of 2013, cant remember the date. The gamestop employees I talked to fully expected trade in values to drop once more and more people started trading their consoles in, by how much, who knows.

I just posted this in the BF3 xbox thread, but here is some values of what you can get, not sure if these amounts vary from state to state or city to city though:

250 gig slim - $135 = $202.5 with coupon

4 gig slim - $90 = $135 with coupon

White 360 - $60 = $90 with coupon

Kinect - $20 = $30 with coupon

Controllers will net you about $25 with the 50% coupon

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23473606

Could you explain that please?

Would there be any issues with me trading in a few systems this weekend, then using the credit to buy a PS4?

Not at all, I mean one time use like you can't trade in a 360 this weekend then a few games next weekend and still use the 50% coupon.

The credit you get from that 50% coupon can be used at whatever time you want, they just put it on a gift card or apply it directly to the Xb1 or PS4 pre-order price.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23473309

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/60#post_23473141

So if I reup my GS pro I get a 50% bonus on trade ins? I'm guessing its a one time use. How long will the upgrade deal run before they shut it down and does the coupon expire and if so when? Along those same lines, will the current gen console trade in value drop as we get closer to launch, ie better to trade sooner or can I wait a month or two?

One time use, mine said it expired in August of 2013, cant remember the date. The gamestop employees I talked to fully expected trade in values to drop once more and more people started trading their consoles in, by how much, who knows.

I just posted this in the BF3 xbox thread, but here is some values of what you can get, not sure if these amounts vary from state to state or city to city though:

250 gig slim - $135 = $202.5 with coupon

4 gig slim - $90 = $135 with coupon

White 360 - $60 = $90 with coupon

Kinect - $20 = $30 with coupon

Controllers will net you about $25 with the 50% coupon

Saw your post after I put mine up... Hell a slim, fat, Kinect and 3 controllers could net around $400. Still have to toss on all my games plus the other consoles and their stuff.

So all that store credit lets you just outright buy a PS4 today for pickup on release, no cash down above and beyond? I'm assuming they don't have an expiration date on store credit either?

Dumb questions i know but I've never dealt with GS on the long term like this. Most I usually do is buy something cheap and clear my extras every so often.

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/90#post_23473738

spyder, that is just insanity being able to flip them like that. I only have one GS in the area and I can't pull that off, but holy crap, you could live off of that...

It comes and it goes. Unfortunately, the local market is full of guys that are willing to offer people $40 for consoles that are broken, fix them, and sell them for $50. $10 isn't worth my time or effort. Sadly, these jackholes rarely know what they're doing and their poor customers often end up giving me their consoles anyway.

When I first started doing console repairs, there were about 5 of us in the entire country doing it. I never advertised, and still had people knocking on my door and calling 24/7. MS was charging $140 at the time, and I did it for half of that. Plus, there was no 4-6 week wait, I did it in under an hour. Folks would drop off their units, go eat, and come back, and it was done. Eventually, both my wife and I got a little sick of dealing with people at our home, so I cut way back.

I teamed up with a guy that was a genius at both repairs and modding a bit after. In the holiday season of 2007, we'd have 500+ consoles stacked up from floor to ceiling in his halls for weeks on end. We couldn't keep up. We were swimming in cash. Literally. One day we put about $10,000 in bills we'd collected over the weekend on the ground and rolled in it just for fun. Then the day came that I found out that most of his profits were going straight up his nose. He changed dramatically. One day, I caught him stealing and it was all over in just minutes, with me heading out the door. Done.

I went rogue for a while, then teamed up with another guy. Still friends with him to this day, but he then teamed up with some douchebag he met. Said d-bag didn't want me in the picture. He talked a big game. They opened a shop together and did fairly well. The guy ended up stealing about $60,000 from the business and my friend. No wonder the a-hole didn't want me around! We both lament at how things should have went, but that's life. That was over a year ago, and he's still trying to pay the back bills. Sad. He and I still work together a bit, but repairs for this gen are pretty much dead. (By the way, the prick that stole is now in prison.)

And here we are today. I still pick up a few consoles here and there, but once I saw that a guy was advertising that he'd; drive to your house, repair your console, show you it was done, and only charge $20 for doing so, I knew the death bell had rung on anything other than doing trades to GS. I don't work for free.

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/90#post_23476390

If they didn't say it, I would have thought Ghosts was running on current gen hardware. CoD is such a joke of a game series.

But..but its got a dog and fishies and a new engine, secretly just an updated current engine but its got new version numbers!!! The story looks kind of cool though and worth a rental at least. Not sure its going to embody the next generation. The trailer I watched had some water scenes and I kept thinking about what Dice said about the waves being consistent across multiplayer in BF4. I know FB3 is probably just an updated version of FB2 rather than a rewrite but reuse once or twice may not be a bad thing. They have already stated FB2 was next gen ready and good for a long time as it was built with the future in mind. Also, with their partnership to AMD I'm guessing their going to be on the fast track to milking everything the new generation has.

#98 ·
Not all updates are the same. Many times renders and shader engines are completely re-written, while the things that need to stay the same to keep the feel are only tweaked (netcode, input, audio, ect).

COD looks like they just put in a little shine and cranked up the triangles. BF4 looks like a pretty good iterative step instead, and it's on a native DX11.1 engine as it is.

ID Tech 3 can only take you so far. Even Valve has their source Engine 2 deep in development, which is another complete rewrite of GoldSource from the rendered up.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/90#post_23477818

Not all updates are the same. Many times renders and shader engines are completely re-written, while the things that need to stay the same to keep the feel are only tweaked (netcode, input, audio, ect).

COD looks like they just put in a little shine and cranked up the triangles. BF4 looks like a pretty good iterative step instead, and it's on a native DX11.1 engine as it is.

ID Tech 3 can only take you so far. Even Valve has their source Engine 2 deep in development, which is another complete rewrite of GoldSource from the rendered up.

I know. Most times the engines are just revisions, some major, some not so much. I just get a kick of COD bragging about a new engine even though its still the same old tired one from ages back.
On one hand, a well used engine is easy to update to a degree plus its well understood and a new engine has a lot of unkowns, yada yada. But new new is shiny!

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8  /t/1476721/battlefield-4/90#post_23487546

Son of a motherless goat if I had waited 2 weeks for my trade in I would have gotten $70 more in credit! :-(
http://www.gamestop.com/trade-values Values went up.

Edit* correction, some values, remotes went down.

Well damn. How the hell does that work? I figured trade in values would have gone down due to more people trading in.

Just read the fine print. That table is somewhat misleading, the trade in values they advertise already include there promo deals which I assume is the 30% extra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.