HDMI only for PS4 may be problematic for certain displays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought a 27" monitor with no audio out. For the PS3, you can set a different output for the audio and use the included AV analog cables instead. I'm seeing conflicting reports about whether or not the spec sheets say the PS4 is hdmi only or not. If it is hdmi only, I won't be able to use this method to connect to my bookshelf speakers. I'll probably need to buy an optical to rca adapter, which is an additional cost, and it will require it's own power adapter. I'm iffy about the quality output too.
Slacker George likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've got a CRT RPTV that has HDMI input fortunately, but I'm wondering if 1080i will still be supported. I guess at worst I could run everything at 720p.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Judging by this 3d model http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/dive-into-the-playstation-4-hardware-with-this-interactive-model there is only an HDMI output. There is an AUX output or input though. To me it just looks like a USB port.

Edit. On second thought I'm guessing the AUX port will work just like it does now on the PS3. So you most likely can get a composite or component hook up if need be.
post #4 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The AUX port is for the camera according to the official spec sheet, but I suppose it could have other uses.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

People are debating what the AUx will support on NeoGAF forums. Most definitely the PSEye camera, but beyond that who knows. They are more concerned about capture cards. I just want to be able to hear the game I am playing. I'm also guessing that not all HDTVs, especially budget ones, have audio out. So this problem shouldn't be all that unique to my monitor configuration. Flatscreen TVs in general have AWFUL speakers and my bookshelf speakers don't have an optical port, just RCA and a 3.5mm. If this is really the case that there is no analog audio out, it would be a really dumb move by Sony. I don't see why the audio needs to be part of their whole HDCP protection scheme.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
I think the AUX port has a very good chance to support composite/component cables for those who need it.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #7 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post

People are debating what the AUx will support on NeoGAF forums. Most definitely the PSEye camera, but beyond that who knows. They are more concerned about capture cards. I just want to be able to hear the game I am playing. I'm also guessing that not all HDTVs, especially budget ones, have audio out. So this problem shouldn't be all that unique to my monitor configuration. Flatscreen TVs in general have AWFUL speakers and my bookshelf speakers don't have an optical port, just RCA and a 3.5mm. If this is really the case that there is no analog audio out, it would be a really dumb move by Sony. I don't see why the audio needs to be part of their whole HDCP protection scheme.

I don't get the issue, you could always get a cheap digital decoder, they are dirt cheap now, only $20 brand new, even cheaper if you go secondhand.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 270
someone is making a HDMI passthroug device that gives you the ability to get RCA audio out from it. its designed to allow older headphones to work. not sure what else it will let you do. It was shown at E3. ill see if i can dig it up a bit later. It may or may not help some people
post #9 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
They have a product for you, it's called the PS3!

Kidding aside, Isn't this really an issue with the budget TV and not the PS4? As said above, it looks like you'll just have to buy a pass through device that allows you to split the signal out (for most people that's a AVR). Or just use the budget speakers with the budget TV?
post #10 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
From what I've been reading, the HDMI output is going to be completely encrypted. I've never had to use a HDMI-component converter, but HDMI encryption isn't really anything new. So for anyone that's used one before, does that mean what I think it means, and that component is going to be completely unsupported, even through an adapter?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #11 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 270
post #12 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Thanks for the link, I also use RCA headphones and a monitor.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM

Wow should have posted here instead of making a thread lol My TV is a crt, it supports 1080i and has an HDMI, I guess my real question would be if the PS4 will support 1080i?
post #14 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Man its like people are deliberately ignoring my first post even though I already said there are adapters out there. I guess if you don't have the problem then anyone else who complains that Sony should keep the analog out while the console isn't released yet is just a poor whiny cheapscate.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM

Liked: 832
I don't think people are ignoring, we just don't know the answer yet seeing as the hardware isn't out and we only have the initial specs sheet. I'd say trying to tweet some of the Sony reps might be your best bet, as they've been answering questions over twitter all week it seems.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic Times View Post

Wow should have posted here instead of making a thread lol My TV is a crt, it supports 1080i and has an HDMI, I guess my real question would be if the PS4 will support 1080i?

1080i is part of the HDTV spec so I'd be highly surprised if it didn't have it. You might be put into 480p at start up and have to change it although who knows it might auto detect and set it to 1080i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I don't think people are ignoring, we just don't know the answer yet seeing as the hardware isn't out and we only have the initial specs sheet. I'd say trying to tweet some of the Sony reps might be your best bet, as they've been answering questions over twitter all week it seems.

Closing that analog hole...
post #17 of 18 Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I will probably tweet them, but they might not answers, I did the same thing to the Ouya devs before and received no answer. Now I know why since they wont support 1080i.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'll guess the AUX port is a multi-interface jack.
It'll take a USB port, RCA ports, optional convertor cable for $$..
Its not the same shape as the USB ports on the front.
So if you want to use a PS3 camera, you'll have to plug into the front of the PS4, or buy the convertor cable.

It's probably cheaper to buy a new TV with audio then do buy a Yamaha Receiver or Soundbar video switch.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page