Project Morpheus: Virtual Reality for the PlayStation 4 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #181 of 262 Old 03-19-2016, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 478
@TonyDP VR may be the one thing that gets me to get eye surgery. I only need my glasses to see far so I thin I can be ok without them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 262 Old 03-19-2016, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
@TonyDP VR may be the one thing that gets me to get eye surgery. I only need my glasses to see far so I thin I can be ok without them.

I've had astygmatism since I was six years old so my eyesight is equally bad close up and at long distances and while I'm not squeamish about most things, I've never been able to work up the nerve to stick contact lenses in my eyes (I can't even bring myself to use eyedrops). I know some VR headsets allow you to change the lenses to match your prescription and maybe the PSVR can support something like that. But if I can't compensate for my vision somehow then it would be a dealbreaker as all I'd see is a big blurrry image.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP
post #183 of 262 Old 03-19-2016, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea I hate things in my eyes. I can't do eye drops or contacts. I rather wear glasses then deal with any of that Crap.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #184 of 262 Old 03-19-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Make sure to plug in your Move and make sure it still charges. Some people are reporting dead Moves, since of course none of us have used our Moves in years, and those batteries from that time tend to go dead if they aren't kept charged. I have to try mine out myself, but I first I have to find a charge cable for it! I charged my PS3 controllers somewhat recently so it should be around somewhere...
Damn... I think my Move controller is dead. I hooked it up to my PC, and the red light was blinking, like it was charging up, and the PC recognized it as a motion controller, but later when I tried to turn it on, nothing would happen. I would hit all buttons and nothing would happen.

When I connect it back to my PC, the red light blinks some more, so not sure what is going on. If it was completely dead would the red light blink at all ?
post #185 of 262 Old 03-19-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked: 2634
So what games will require the Move controller? I thought I read that only a few will use the Move controller? Is that correct or will all the VR games require the Move controller?

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #186 of 262 Old 03-19-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So what games will require the Move controller? I thought I read that only a few will use the Move controller? Is that correct or will all the VR games require the Move controller?
Some of the games in VR World require it, like London Heist.

However, I think games that will absolutely require the move to work will be a bit rare. Seems most games will work with the controller.
aaronwt likes this.
post #187 of 262 Old 03-20-2016, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
I've had astygmatism since I was six years old so my eyesight is equally bad close up and at long distances and while I'm not squeamish about most things, I've never been able to work up the nerve to stick contact lenses in my eyes (I can't even bring myself to use eyedrops). I know some VR headsets allow you to change the lenses to match your prescription and maybe the PSVR can support something like that. But if I can't compensate for my vision somehow then it would be a dealbreaker as all I'd see is a big blurrry image.
LASIK is probably the best thing I've ever decided to do. Astigmatism was my main problem too. I strongly encourage everyone I know that needs eye correction to get it done. The procedure is fast and the results are instant (kinda hazy for a short while). It's an awkward feeling during the procedure for sure, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I used carecredit to finance it with 0% apr, and my hsa account through health insurance to make the payments. No glasses/contacts for 5+ years and still perfect....
Arutha_conDoin likes this.
post #188 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 3211
Amazon pre-orders are available (launch bundle). Probably for the next minute or two....

EDIT - first batch sold out. Anyone else get in?

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders

Last edited by DaverJ; 03-22-2016 at 07:22 AM.
post #189 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I tried to order through the Amazon app but it was nothing but error messages and then went unavailable again. I didn't have my Best Buy sign in but was able to order one via guest check out.
post #190 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 245
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...start-tuesday/

Quote:
UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for sharing their feedback on PlayStation VR pre-orders! It’s clear that there’s a lot of interest from many of you to secure the PlayStation VR core system, and I’m happy to share that we’ve decided to make it available for pre-order on Tuesday, March 29, at 7:00 a.m. PT at participating retailers.

So to wrap it all up, here are your pre-order options:

PlayStation VR Launch Bundle ($499.99 MSRP) – pre-order on March 22 at 7:00 a.m. PT

PlayStation VR core ($399.99 MSRP) – pre-order on March 29 at 7:00 a.m. PT

If you’re interested in owning PlayStation VR on day one, mark those calendars as we’re expecting these units to sell out quickly!
You can pre-order the core system on March 29th now.
DaverJ likes this.
post #191 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 178
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-pla...&skuId=5117400
aaronwt likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears,PA 120 12" Sub,klipsch R-10SW
post #192 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerking View Post
LASIK is probably the best thing I've ever decided to do. Astigmatism was my main problem too. I strongly encourage everyone I know that needs eye correction to get it done. The procedure is fast and the results are instant (kinda hazy for a short while). It's an awkward feeling during the procedure for sure, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I used carecredit to finance it with 0% apr, and my hsa account through health insurance to make the payments. No glasses/contacts for 5+ years and still perfect....
I had it done eleven years ago. Not sure i would do it again though. Especially since it's much more involved to have it done a second time. Since they don't use a flap the second time around after it's been so long after the first procedure. So risk of infection and complications is much higher.

I had the feeling of sand in my eyes for several days after the procedure. Of course you could not rub your eyes. You had to wear protective eyeware to bed to avoid accidentally rubbing your eyes. But that feeling of sand in your eyes was extremely annoying.

post #193 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I would love to order it, but until I actually try it, I can't. I would need to make sure it doesn't make me feel nauseous. Which is what usually happens with VR type stuff with me.

post #194 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would love to order it, but until I actually try it, I can't. I would need to make sure it doesn't make me feel nauseous. Which is what usually happens with VR type stuff with me.
Too expensive for me. I have a 3D plasma and rarely I'll get nauseous so I'm thinking VR might cause the same. I'm sure I'll try it eventually though. Just not at the current price.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears,PA 120 12" Sub,klipsch R-10SW
post #195 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I pre-ordered the Vive and after spending a bat-shizz insane amount of money on that..... I can't in good conscience also buy a PS4 and PS VR. That's just too much money into VR at one single time. Backing more than one horse in this VR race right now is just too freaking expensive... Hell, backing any of the 3 horses is really expensive right now...

For me, a big part of going with the Vive was not wanting to wait till October. I really wish I had the willpower to wait till October, but that seems like a long time away right now. (sure I know the months will fly by...) If Sony announced PS VR was coming late July, I would have probably been able to just hold out. But October ? I guess that GameStop CEO knew what the F he was talking about (was probably November and Sony moved it up slightly...)

The PS VR does look super, super cool. I think the biggest single advantage that it has is the ergonomics. It's the only headset of the 3 that doesn't press down on the front of your face to the degree that there is a noticeable red mark on your face after using it.. From what I understand, the PS VR doesn't really press against your face. Sony was really good with the ergonomics on this one. Also, supposedly it's the easiest of the 3 helmets to put on, tighten properly and take off. Also maybe the most comfortable for people with glasses... So, those are some pretty huge advantages, when you think about how long you might want to use the thing. Having the most comfortable one is a big advantage. The sub pixel thing is another big advantage, but it's offset by the lower resolution and the fact that the PS4 GPU is responsible for the frame rate.

The biggest negative for PS VR right now seems to be the Move controllers. More and more reports are suggesting that they simply aren't accurate enough and are kinda bringing the overall PS VR experience down.
DaverJ and Arutha_conDoin like this.
post #196 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Amazon pre-orders are available (launch bundle). Probably for the next minute or two....

EDIT - first batch sold out. Anyone else get in?

I grabbed one. Took a couple minutes of refreshing to have it show up as available for preorder.
DaverJ likes this.
post #197 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
I grabbed one. Took a couple minutes of refreshing to have it show up as available for preorder.
I was doing the same thing!

I hit Amazon's PS-VR bundle page about 15 minutes before it was supposed to be available (10am Eastern) and refreshed it every couple minutes. At 10am I just kept refreshing over and over. I think the pre-order button appeared around 10:03am, give or take a minute, so I clicked add-to-cart, went through checkout, and got confirmation - delivery estimate is "Arriving Oct. 31". All-in-all, a very smooth, glitch-free process.

Then I posted here, and it seems around 10:10am (give or take a couple), it was no longer available on Amazon. Didn't take long, less than 10 minutes, for them to sell out of their entire first allotment!

At about 10:20am I got an email from Amazon that said I showed interest in the PS-VR, and they are available for pre-order! I feel sorry for those that were waiting for that email to arrive.

I'm glad they did a bundle, because I had passed on the camera and Move controllers. I hope that few real games beyond the tech demos use those controllers, that doesn't look like much fun. I'm also hoping that most VR games are fine playing in a seated, comfortable position.
Naylorman32 likes this.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders

Last edited by DaverJ; 03-22-2016 at 01:25 PM.
post #198 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
The biggest negative for PS VR right now seems to be the Move controllers. More and more reports are suggesting that they simply aren't accurate enough and are kinda bringing the overall PS VR experience down.
Most reports say they work well. There are a few that disagree, but I haven't seen any kind of growing consensus or anything.

Since I have personal experience with the Move, I'm not at all worried. I already know it works great. I'll be blind-buying the PSVR so I am actually more worried about that, but the impressions I have read have allayed those concerns enough that I am willing to take the plunge.
post #199 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I'm out for now because of the price but, honestly, I'm not even sure if I'd like VR. My last experience with VR was in the early 90s and the graphics back then were just polygon shapes. I really hope, when this comes out in October, that there will be places, like GameStop or Best Buy, where you can go try it out.

Then again, maybe not because I may enjoy it so much that I start trying to sell a kid or something.
post #200 of 262 Old 03-22-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Most reports say they work well. There are a few that disagree, but I haven't seen any kind of growing consensus or anything.
Yeah, it's just weird how all of a sudden there are a number of people complaining about the move controllers. When Project Morpheus was first announced and people were messing with it, nobody really mentioned the move controllers being really bad or anything like that, but ever since GDC I've seen a number of people complaining that the move controllers are holding PS VR back.

Jeff Canatta of DLC (podcast) mentioned it recently. Alanah Pearce of IGN mentioned it in a recent YouTube video. I think the Tested guys were a little bit concerned with the accuracy of the move..

It's not some huge conspiracy or controversy, or anything like that.... The move controllers probably weren't really designed for VR, and I'm not sure that the PS4 camera is super ideal for VR either, but they are making due with what they have to work with.
post #201 of 262 Old 03-24-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Got an email from Amazon and they just went on sale again. I managed to pre-order one. Don't know how long they will last this time.
DaverJ likes this.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP
post #202 of 262 Old 03-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
I have astigmatism as well. I tried contact lenses and it didn't go so well. I ended up getting an eye infection because of me trying to get the stupid lenses on. Never again. I wouldn't be comfortable having LASIK done. The thought of a laser on my eye doesn't sit well with me. I'm hoping wearing glasses with Playstation VR won't be an issue.
post #203 of 262 Old 03-28-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Regarding compatibility with eyeglasses:

Quote:
PlayStation VR was the most comfortable, for two reasons. The weight of the headset is mostly on your forehead and the top of your head rather than your face, thanks to the positioning of the headband, which means you barely feel any pressure on the nose. Secondly, instead of solid black foam blocking out the gaps between the headset and your face, it has flexible black rubbery plastic that doesn’t interfere with your frames.
http://kotaku.com/vr-headsets-are-mo...ses-1766105790
aaronwt, DaverJ and TonyDP like this.
post #204 of 262 Old 03-30-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Got my core preorder yesterday morning, so I am all set!

Regarding glasses, although I do not wear glasses it is nice to hear that they are easily accommodated. From early impressions it seems like Oculus CV1 is not very friendly to glasses wearers, and they quietly dropped the foam inserts they were supposed to be shipping with the units.
DaverJ likes this.
post #205 of 262 Old 04-02-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

This here is a good example of why I think VR is going to be here to stay. Now just imagine a Arachnophobia one I love the reactions of the people.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/1/113...irtual-reality

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #206 of 262 Old 04-17-2016, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Probably already posted here, but is anyone thinking about how to install in their HT?

I have all my equipment including my PS4 in a rack at the back of the HT, with a ceiling mounted front projector.

I'm thinking I'm gonna have a few cables snaking from the back of the room to the headset, and then also need to run a cable from the PS4 to the front of the room for the PS Camera.

Can anyone tell me what kind of connection is used for the PS camera? Is it USB?

I know that I don't even need my projector when using VR, but want to take advantage of my HT speakers for the surround sound.

First world problems.....sigh.

-----------------------------------------------

"Blow, ye wind, like the trumpet blows. But without that noise."
post #207 of 262 Old 04-17-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The Playstation camera uses a proprietary connector, but you can purchase an extension cable.
post #208 of 262 Old 04-17-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 369
The PS4 camera can only be extended once (a single extension) so I think it ends up being around 13' max and that is not enough, for most rooms, to have gear at the back with camera at the front.

- Jason

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133"/ Samsung 50" Plasma / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Vizio 4K 70" lcd/Denon x4100/Audiosource Amp 100/Klipsch speakers/Velodyne subs/Sony BDP s780/PS4/X1/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/Game PC/Multi-Arcade My HT SLIDESHOW
post #209 of 262 Old 04-18-2016, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
The PS4 camera can only be extended once (a single extension) so I think it ends up being around 13' max and that is not enough, for most rooms, to have gear at the back with camera at the front.

- Jason
Yuck. Guess I'll have to move the PS4 to the front of the theater and then run HDMI from there to back of the room.

Alternatively I could just get a second PS4 (PS4.5?) and set up a separate area in my house for VR and use a gaming headset with it. However, I can see myself showing off VR with friends by having it in the home theater and the other person can see what the user is seeing on the screen.

-----------------------------------------------

"Blow, ye wind, like the trumpet blows. But without that noise."
post #210 of 262 Old 06-13-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Release date is October 13.

Resident Evil 7 will be VR compatible, and something called Batman: Arkham VR is coming as well:

DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page