Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
*** GDC 2014 UPDATE ***

Announced at the show, Project Morpheus is Sony's VR system for the PS4.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Looks like Sony is making its own VR hardware instead of signing up with Occulus Rift as earlier suggested. So far remains a rumor until it's confirmed, but the latest rumblings suggest that it is true.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original Post:

Oculus Rift support could very well make its way to the PS4!

J_P_A posted this story in the PS4 thread and I thought it would be great if we followed any progress of this rumor in the months ahead.

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment head of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida is a big Oculus Rift fan, it turns out. "We've got a couple of the development kits, and I tried it out and I love it," he told us in an interview this morning at E3 2013. Whether the PlayStation 4 will support it is another question. "No, it doesn't," Yoshida told us. Not yet, that is.

When we asked whether the company's planning on offering support in the future, he only offered a "No comment" with a big smile. The picture of the retail Oculus Rift is potentially a bit clearer now, especially given this week's addition of an HD version of the headset. We'll be sure to keep on Sony about Oculus support on the PlayStation 4 as the year goes on.

What is Oculus Rift? Check out this hands-on report of the beta tech from C-Net:
Quote:
Not only was this the coolest thing I saw at CES, but it's possibly the coolest thing I've seen ever. As someone who has always been interested in the idea of VR headsets, and always heartbreakingly let down by the reality of VR headsets, I admit I took a rare (for me) CES meeting on a lark. I had heard something about their successful Kickstarter, but honestly, I figured it would just be more of the same.

I was wrong. Not sure I've ever been more wrong. Even in this hand-built prototype stage, the Rift is amazing.

There's a scene in "The Matrix," where Neo first jacks into Matrix after leaving it via the red pill. The screen gets all warpy, and zooooom abruptly he's standing somewhere else. It's not much of an exaggeration to say this is what it's like putting on the Oculus Rift. The lenses, holding a distorted promise of what lies beyond, rise towards your face. At the same time the mask blocks out visual reality, the virtual one comes into focus...

Suddenly, I was standing in a Medieval square. Armored knights stood nearby. Joseph Chen, Oculus' Senior Product Manager, hands me a gamepad. This is bizarre, since it passes invisibly (to me) in the real world, to touch my hands in the real world, all the while I'm looking at a fruit stand and some guy in black armor. I look around, the view tracking my movements so precisely, that it feels perfectly natural. I walk past another food stall, naturally looking down as I pass. I take in the town as I would in real life, checking out architecture, corners, scenic vistas.

Game switch. The familiar sights and sounds of Unreal Tournament. Joseph tells me it takes most people 3 minutes or so to get the hang of it. It takes me less than 1. I mention this because I am boasting. Direction and strafing are done with the gamepad. But aiming... oh the aiming. Look and shoot. Not point and shoot. The huge advantage mouse-and-keyboard users have over gamepad wielding FPS players comes down to the order of magnitude better precision possible with a mouse over a gamepad. The Rift seems a level beyond the mouse. It goes deeper, past reflexes and to some level of instinct. Like "CRAP, that thing is headed for my FACE" instinct.

The reason why the Rift is so good, and why it's so much better than everything that came before, is the speed, accuracy, and realism of the tracking. This is why raw specs don't do it justice. Specs are what old VR systems used to justify their crappy tracking. You could stick a B&W TV in the Rift headset and the experience would still be better than every VR attempt that came before.

Check out a 90-year old grandma enjoying a virtual world experience for the first time with OR:

I'd be jazzed beyond belief if Sony can get this thing on the PS4!
DaverJ and DarrellG like this.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Blockbuster news update about someone special joining their project team... John Carmack has become the Oculus Rift company's Chief Technology Officer:
Quote:
Video game tycoon John Carmack, responsible for helping create Doom, Quake, and more, has just joined Oculus as CTO. Carmack, who has been a supporter of the Oculus Rift VR headset from the start and helped optimize Doom 3 for an early prototype, gave the following statement:
Quote:
I have fond memories of the development work that led to a lot of great things in modern gaming — the intensity of the first person experience, LAN and internet play, game mods, and so on. Duct taping a strap and hot gluing sensors onto Palmer's early prototype Rift and writing the code to drive it ranks right up there. Now is a special time. I believe that VR will have a huge impact in the coming years, but everyone working today is a pioneer. The paradigms that everyone will take for granted in the future are being figured out today; probably by people reading this message. It's certainly not there yet. There is a lot more work to do, and there are problems we don't even know about that will need to be solved, but I am eager to work on them. It's going to be awesome!

Carmack was a founding member of Id Software, but Eurogamer reports that he has left his role at company as part of his move to Oculus, though it's not clear whether he will stay on in an advisory capacity if he does. Polygon's Brian Crecente, meanwhile, says an Id spokesperson refuted the claim that he was stepping down.

One of Carmack's major side projects, the space startup Armadillo Aerospace, was put on hold earlier this year after mixed results. He'll be arriving at a pivotal time for Oculus: the Kickstarter-funded project has shipped to developers, but most people still have yet to use one, and there's no hard timeline for getting it from development kit to finished product.

Though the Rift has spawned several new games and even its own accessories, many of these are still shots in the dark, with developers trying to figure out what works on virtual reality. As Carmack notes, he was on the forefront of the sort of first-person gaming that's being leveraged for the Oculus Rift — and if the project pans out, he could help it take the next big step forward.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I want to be a judge in a bikini swimsuit competition with Oculus Rift, haha.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It's about time VR made a comeback. I'd be surprised though if this makes it to consoles this upcoming generation. Seems like something Nintendo might try to build their next machine around.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

When asked if VR tech is coming to the PS4, Sony exec Yoshida says he can't talk about it:
Quote:
CVG: One innovation that a lot of people are talking about is Oculus Rift - I know you have tried it yourself.
Yoshida: Yes and I really like it.

CVG: I do wonder if that is a technology Sony is looking to pursue itself.
Yoshida: Y'know, we're Sony, so we have lots of different things and different ideas in R&D. When it come to researching things, we are doing a lot of things that we can't talk about.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's looking less and less likely that Occulus Rift is coming to the PS4, but that's only because they appear to be working on their own VR tech. NeoGAF's own news investigator reports that Sony has taken out a few VR patents recently!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like CES 2014 (Jan. 7-10) could be an unveiling of this rumored product based on Yoshida's latest cryptic Twitter posting:

Old 02-04-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Some more tidbits about the rumored VR device from Sony:
Quote:
We’ve now received word from someone claiming to not only have tried Sony’s secretive virtual reality hardware but is actively developing software to utilise the device. Our source describes the HMD as having an FOV comparable to that of the Oculus Rift DK1 but with a much higher resolution. Further, the prototype our source had extensive time with, used two glowing orbs mounted atop the headset. Using a camera, assumed at this point to be the standard PS4 stereo camera that launched alongside the console late last year, the system tracks the user’s head in 3D space using the orbs to pinpoint position. Currently we have no information as to how head orientation is tracked, but it would make sense for Sony to include a solution similar to the Oculus Rift headtracker (IMU).

Perhaps more interestingly, though, is that our developer source claims also to have attended the recent Steam Dev Days event in Seattle and sampled Valve’s apparently impressive prototype VR headset. According to the source, the two HMDs compare very favourably. The general impression was that resolution was comparable between Sony’s and Valve’s unit (reported to use two 1080p panels) and that head tracking accuracy was very close.

Finally, the developer also tells us that Sony’s VR headset was supposed to be revealed already but that technical issues delayed the announcement. What those issues were, we do not know.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Very excited about this news. In the past it seemed like a good idea, but it always appeared gimmicky for some reason. Now I'm drooling at the possibilities.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
Old 02-21-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The latest rumor says Sony's VR solution will be unveiled March 17th
at GDC:
Quote:
Our confidential tipster said that they were impressed with the quality of Sony's Oculus Rift competitor. "The quality and resolution are really, really good," they said. "People will definitely be impressed with what Sony's built".

They also told us that they understand Sony plans to announce the headset at GDC 2014, which kicks off in San Francisco on March 17.

Virtually just around the corner

With rumours that Sony might show off some VR games at E3, it makes sense for it to unveil the headset beforehand and keep Las Vegas focused on the software.

Talk of Sony's headset surfaced last year with word that we'd see it unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show, something that never materialised.

Our source told us that "Sony has deliberately taken its time to tweak and polish the headset before revealing it", rather than taking Oculus's approach of releasing the Rift to developers in stages.
Spanglo likes this.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't wait to demo.

VR + surround sound system = possible gaming nirvana.

How long before VR can be used with FPS?

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
Old 03-18-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

*** GDC 2014 UPDATE ***

Announced at the show, Project Morpheus is Sony's VR system for the PS4.

Sony exec Yoshida says:

"This is the culmination of our work over the last three years to realize our vision of VR for games, and to push the boundries of play."
"This prototype is by no means final, and we'll continue to work on this to improve, but we believe this is a good representation of how PlayStation will deliver VR."
"We believe Morpheus will further enhance... with integration with PlayStation Camera and PS Move."

Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Color me intrigued by this as, if nothing else, it suggests Sony hasn't given up on 3D, just how its delivered. I'd have liked some release dates and software demos and hopefully this will not turn into vaporware 4 years down the road.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well, they've been working on it for three years and are getting the development beta kits ready for distribution. Hopefully we get a consumer version this Fall.

Project Morpheus tech details:

- 1080p display
- 90-degree field of view
- 15mm eye relief
- Wide IPD range (the distance between your pupils)
- Accommodates glasses wearers
- Tracking handled by the PS4 Camera
- Works with the existing Move controllers
- Polls at 1000Hz to check your position
- Allows 360 degrees of movement
- 3D positional audio

Price and release date? Sony says:
"As soon as possible, for as low as possible."

Old 03-18-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 209
So this will have major appeal in the FPS market. If they can find a way to remove the need to use a controller, this could be big. Immersion could honestly take on a whole new meaning, especially for people who want the full theater experience but dont have the $$ for space.

We are one step closer to an experience similar to Sword Art Online!

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Elder Scrolls 6 or Fallout 4 on this... *drools*

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 522
My guess is an E3 price and release announcement.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm all in on VR, just biding time to see which one, Oculus vs Morpheus, I jump on.

If Morpheus can be used for PS4 and PC gaming, which I assume would be a no brainier, I'm sure I go with that , especially if the specs are comparable and the price points are the same.

Oculus devs sets are $300 which is the consensus rumor for the retail model. For me that is tremendous value. Hopefully Morpheus comes in close to this.

PSN: futurecode
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm comfortable guessing that there is no chance Occulus Rift appears on the PS4. It would require a license for a non-Morpheus-compatible VR headset that Sony wouldn't grant, and proprietary programming in games built for OR that no 3rd party would make because it is not Sony supported.

You have a much better shot at seeing Morpheus supported on PCs in some way (probably development experiments only though).

Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I'm comfortable guessing that there is no chance Occulus Rift appears on the PS4. It would require a license for a non-Morpheus-compatible VR headset that Sony wouldn't grant, and proprietary programming in games built for OR that no 3rd party would make because it is not Sony supported.

You have a much better shot at seeing Morpheus supported on PCs in some way (probably development experiments only though).

Of course, that's why I stated if Morpheus can be PS4/PC I'll go with that.

If thier price points and specs are realtivley the same, and Morpheus can go both ways wink.gif, I'll go with with Morpheus.

If they are both locked down to one system, specs and pricing being the same, I'll probably go with Oculus.

I can't see Morpheus not having support on the PC. Even unofficially it's almost a certainty someone gets it up and running proper.

PSN: futurecode
Old 03-19-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:

Well, they've been working on it for three years and are getting the development beta kits ready for distribution. Hopefully we get a consumer version this Fall.

Project Morpheus tech details:

- 1080p display
- 90-degree field of view
- 15mm eye relief
- Wide IPD range (the distance between your pupils)
- Accommodates glasses wearers
- Tracking handled by the PS4 Camera
- Works with the existing Move controllers
- Polls at 1000Hz to check your position
- Allows 360 degrees of movement
- 3D positional audio

Price and release date? Sony says:
"As soon as possible, for as low as possible."

I can't get excited till I hear a price. It's not the first VR/HMD from Sony, and they've all been prohibitively expensive.

Either way I don't think the world has room for multiple VR standards. If they're not oculus compatible, it'll set VR back another 5 years.
barrelbelly likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm on board for the PS version. OR sounds cool but I wont ever have a PC to run it and I doubt Sony will allow both. Wouldn't be so bad to have a PC version and Console version. Games specifically designed for VR shouldn't be hard to port from one to another. Its hopefully similar to switching monitors and I know that's oversimplifying but it should be that easy.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Insider claims Sony is targeting $249-$299 price....this had better make me a damn sandwich as well!
Quote:
Industry insider Ahsan Rasheed has been talking about Project Morpheus for a while, and since the new VR headset has finally been announced and the gag has been removed, today he’s been sharing a lot of the information he’s been given by his usually reliable sources.
Sony mentioned that the headset will be “affordable,” but that’s quite vague. So how affordable will it be? Rasheed’s information on the topic is so surprising that even he cautions that things may still change between here and the hardware’s release:
One final thing I’ve heard over the last few months and things can change so don’t hold me to this forever.

Morpheus is targeting a $249-299 price point. And yes, I have told this to @roboplato many moons ago before this thing was even a thing.

The price seems even more convenient considering that according to Rasheed’s sources the package will come bundled with the camera (even if I’m personally quite sure that there’ll be a separate option for those that already have the camera itself):
Morpheus will include camera I’ve heard. The product when launched will have everything ready to go.

Rasheed also explained that Sony is going all-in with Project Morpheus, and isn’t just going to give it half-hearted support like it happened with the PlayStation Move or the EyeToy:
BTW this isn’t Move or EyeToy, Sony is very serious and major internal teams are doubling down. This isn’t a novelty.

Sony wants to prove to gamers that PlayStation is gaming. Internal teams are working on things that are absolutely fantastic.

Such a low price point for a virtual reality headset sounds almost crazy, especially considering that the new version of the Oculus Rift will cost $350 and Sony’s own HMZ-T3W Head Mounted Display is priced at $1,000, but many would have said the same about the PS4 being sold at $399 before its price was actually announced last June. That said, we definitely should consider this just a rumor for the moment.
We’ll have to wait and see if Sony will manage to sell the Morpheus at such a bargain price. One thing is for sure, that kind of affordability would definitely drive adoption, and technology like Morpheus lives or dies on its adoption by customers. If Sony wants virtual reality to really take off, they’ll have to keep the price down, or it’ll end like stereoscopic 3D did during last generation.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/19/morpheus-targeting-a-249-299-price-point-sony-working-on-absolutely-fantastic-things-insider/

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hopefully the insider is legit. I like what I'm reading there about support plans.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd say $300 would be the highest price people would pay. Considering its a separate monitor so to speak that's not bad. Though if I already have a camera and its only $200, that's even better.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I was expecting a 1000+ like the head display, but half expecting it to be in the neighborhood of Occulus. 300 or less would be fantastic.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:

Hopefully the insider is legit. I like what I'm reading there about support plans.

It's Thuway, he is pretty accurate for Sony news.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I'm a little late to this party so I'm just trying to understand the concept.

I'm guessing this VR headset will only work with specific games that support the VR technology, correct? I'm just wondering if this will completely eliminate the need to use a TV or monitor altogether.

PSN:Lodolfan16
XBL: Lodolfan16
Old 03-19-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
They'll prob have a mode where you can use it as a normal display for everything.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 03-19-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Would like to them port this to the PS4. Seems like a good match for Project Morpheus.

Tags
Playstation 4 Console