PS3 Firmware 4.45 - one of the greatest FW releases ever (before reported lock-ups) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Firmware 4.45 for the PS3 is now up, and it has a feature I've wanted for a looooooooooooooooong time. There is a new option in the XMB system menu that allows us to disable trophy alerts during games! biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, and of course the FW provides more system stability. wink.gif

EDIT: Stability didn't work right - some people are reporting that the firmware has locked up their console. I believe it has been taken down for now.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmm I kinda like knowing when I get a new shiny bronze!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So.... keep your notification switch turned on?

Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually the worst update ever. It is bricking systems. So many that Sony has pulled the update. Apparently it's linked to systems with large HDDs. I have a 1tb hdd and sure enough, my system is a doorstop ATM.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39

Does PS+ automatically apply this update? I have the 500GB Super Slim PS3, is that affected?

Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Terrible. I think they took it offline because of the issue. I have a Super Slim 500 GB and installed it before they did; everything is working fine.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Here's the latest. For those that tried to update and failed (ps3 just sits at the ribbon screen), you'll need to wait until Sony posts another update (4.45 or higher) and update via safe mode using a flash drive. Since Sony pulled the update, only 4.41 is available and no, you can't go back. Do not repair or restore via safe mode, you'll lose everything. Just wait for the latest update.

Here's one the playstation threads discussing the issue: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/PS3-Firmware-4-45-FIX/m-p/40714849#U40714849
Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Will there be a trophy for this?
pcweber111 and mgr_stl like this.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 560
I wonder if XboxOne will require automatic updates thanks to always online. On the Wii U they can be disabled (doing so when I get home) and the PS4 should have the option thanks to no required online.

Just imagine if a console forced a system bricking update to be installed...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Sony bricks Ps3's to make gamers buy the PS4. LOL
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I wonder if XboxOne will require automatic updates thanks to always online. On the Wii U they can be disabled (doing so when I get home) and the PS4 should have the option thanks to no required online.

Just imagine if a console forced a system bricking update to be installed...

You can turn the system completely off and I highly doubt auto updates would be mandatory. IE 10 introduced auto updates and while on by default you can uncheck it. I figure MS will follow a similar path with the One. It's one aspect of PS+ that I like.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

Heh, you were funnier in this clip:

Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I got bricked. I'm a little miffed it took Sony over 2 hours after widespread reports of the problem started appearing to pull the update, which I tried to install at 9pm PST last night to watch Netflix.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
PS+ to no longer auto download firmware updates ?

I like that idea of a "I got bricked" Trophy.

Platinum.
Quote:

No, that's why they made the new Store so slow... so people will perceive the PS4 as lightning.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the latest official word from Sony, which only basically says we know of the problem, are investigating, and wait for a fix. But at least I can now sub to this forum thread in the official Playstation forum to receive any updates as soon as they are released instead spending time surfing the gaming media. (I'm not much of a FB/Twitter person). I love how they say it's affected a "small number of PS3 systems" because if you visit the main community forum thread on the issue (over 100 pages long now), most posters, like me, have few than 10 posts, meaning it's affected a lot of people who aren't just the usual vocal avid forum user types.
Quote:
[System Software Update] PS3 v.4.45 - SCEA Update [ New ]
Options
‎06-19-2013 09:46 AM - edited ‎06-19-2013 10:44 AM

Hey everyone,

We are aware of reports that the recent PlayStation 3 system software update (version 4.45) has caused the XMB to not display on a small number of PS3 systems. We have temporarily taken 4.45 offline and are investigating the cause of the problem. We will announce when the system update is available for download as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

When we have updates, I'll add them to this thread. In the meantime, you can go to this open community thread to add your feedback:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/Problem-after-update-to-4-45/td-p/40712...

Replies are blocked so as to make it easy for you to subscribe to this thread to receive updates from PSN Staff when we update this thread. Click the 'Options' above and click 'Subscribe' to track this thread. Please check your notification settings under 'My Settings' to determine when you will receive emails from subscribing to threads in Playstation Community Forums. The default option is 'immediate', but can be set to be 'daily' or 'weekly'.

Q&A:
=====================================================
Q1. I updated my PS3 to version 4.45, and now the XMB is not being displayed and I cannot play anything on my system. Why?
We are currently conducting investigations to determine the cause of this problem. We will announce further information, including additional updates, when ready.

Q2. Version 4.45 has been taken off line, but if users have already updated to the new version and they are experiencing problems, what can they do?
We kindly ask PS3 users to wait for further details. We will announce when ready.

Q3. Were you not able to predict that such an issue may occur? Do you perform appropriate verification tests before releasing updates?
SCE constantly performs appropriate verifications tests for system software updates, and strives to improve and offer quality service.
We are currently conducting investigations to determine the cause of this problem. We will announce further information, including additional updates, when ready.

Q4. I read in the web that the PS3 system with 500GB HDD were affected. Is this true?
We are currently conducting investigations to determine the cause of this problem.

Q5. Have you already found a solution to this problem?
We kindly ask PS3 users to wait for further details. We will announce when ready.

Q6. How are the customer service teams responding to consumer inquiries right now?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/System-Software-Update-PS3-v-4-45-SCEA-Update/m-p/40721809
Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

PS+ to no longer auto download firmware updates ?

The issue isn't auto downloading but the actual patching that ensues. Whether you auto download or do it yourself if you have to apply it to brick the console what difference does it make? If the system auto applied updates that'd be different. The question I guess would be is it possible to ignore the update it downloaded in favor of it's replacement. I'm not sure but I figure someone knows.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Apparently the fix will be available on June 27:
Quote:
We have identified the issue related to the PlayStation 3 software update (version 4.45) that impacted a small number of PS3 systems earlier this week. A new PS3 system software update is planned to be released on June 27 that resolves the issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding and we apologize for the inconvenience.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/System-Software-Update-PS3-v-4-45-SCEA-Update/m-p/40721809#M282041

So I guess I was the only AVS Forum regular affected by this. Lucky me. lol
Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

The issue isn't auto downloading but the actual patching that ensues. Whether you auto download or do it yourself if you have to apply it to brick the console what difference does it make? If the system auto applied updates that'd be different. The question I guess would be is it possible to ignore the update it downloaded in favor of it's replacement. I'm not sure but I figure someone knows.

As always, with system updates, best bet is to turn auto-downloading off and let others be the canary’s in the coal mine. They really should allow us to roll back out versions, even if it is just limited to one step backwards.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There is no problem in auto downloading FW since it won't install until you give the ok. Too bad they can't release the fix sooner, but I guess it needs more testing.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately another week is too long to just keep reading books, for my taste, but not long enough to justify purchasing a replacement gaming device. (I just can't get into gaming on my Kindle Fire tablet and my laptop PC is worthless when it comes to the kinds of games I'd want to play). A part of me wants to use this as an excuse to get a Vita, but there aren't really any good deals/bundles right now, and I know once my PS3 is working and later I get a PS4, I probably won't touch the Vita again.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

As always, with system updates, best bet is to turn auto-downloading off and let others be the canary’s in the coal mine. They really should allow us to roll back out versions, even if it is just limited to one step backwards.

I'm finding that's definitely the best idea.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Unfortunately another week is too long to just keep reading books, for my taste, but not long enough to justify purchasing a replacement gaming device. (I just can't get into gaming on my Kindle Fire tablet and my laptop PC is worthless when it comes to the kinds of games I'd want to play). A part of me wants to use this as an excuse to get a Vita, but there aren't really any good deals/bundles right now, and I know once my PS3 is working and later I get a PS4, I probably won't touch the Vita again.

Craigslist?

PSV's will remote play PS4 games as default, supported through the OS. So, even if you never play another PSV game you'll have a way to play PS4 should the TV need to be given up.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Craigslist?

PSV's will remote play PS4 games as default, supported through the OS. So, even if you never play another PSV game you'll have a way to play PS4 should the TV need to be given up.

Searching now. Thanks!

Also, I keep seeing conflicting information on what would happen if I took out and put back my console's HDD. My understanding is if you take an HDD out and put it back in the same console, you will be required to reformat it after re-inserting. Because if not (as some people in other forums are saying), I could take out my 1 TB HDD that got bricked, put the original drive in (my game saves are on the PS Cloud), get it up and running until the patch is available, then put the 1 TB back in, and, assuming the patch doesn't force a HDD reformat, I can get my system and content restored without losing anything (having to redownload it again). I know the success of this plan does depend on the ability to get my original drive running on 4.45 (which is in the console's flash memory and which I know some people have been able to do). Advice?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

There is no problem in auto downloading FW since it won't install until you give the ok. Too bad they can't release the fix sooner, but I guess it needs more testing.

Right. But when you have PS+, you see the notice that it downloaded...

and when you are on old firmware, you cant visit the PSN store.

So people like me auto apply it without thinking. Just another annoyance.

Fortunately for me, I've ben using the web PSN interface, seeing junk, and leaving the PS3 off for weeks.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Firmware 4.45 for the PS3 is now up, and it has a feature I've wanted for a looooooooooooooooong time. There is a new option in the XMB system menu that allows us to disable trophy alerts during games! biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, and of course the FW provides more system stability. wink.gif

EDIT: Stability didn't work right - some people are reporting that the firmware has locked up their console. I believe it has been taken down for now.

No way dude, the sound of the trophy popping is music to my ears. Now, I have 14 Plats, it is like crack...
Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Right. But when you have PS+, you see the notice that it downloaded...

and when you are on old firmware, you cant visit the PSN store.

So people like me auto apply it without thinking. Just another annoyance.

Fortunately for me, I've ben using the web PSN interface, seeing junk, and leaving the PS3 off for weeks.

There is no "auto" apply, only a manual one. If you are aware of an issue or are simply cautious, you can choose to not install it. Of course it is still ridiculous to have to even consider not applyiing FW when it should simply work (or at least not screw stuff up).

If you consider Pinball Arcade, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Machinarium, Saints Row: The Third, Uncharted 3, LittleBigPlanet Karting, and XCOM: Enemy Unknown, all of which were free to dload for members in the past few weeks to be "junk", you really wasted your money signing up for the service.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you consider Pinball Arcade,

those were cross purchased on the vita ;-)
Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Also, I keep seeing conflicting information on what would happen if I took out and put back my console's HDD. My understanding is if you take an HDD out and put it back in the same console, you will be required to reformat it after re-inserting. Because if not (as some people in other forums are saying), I could take out my 1 TB HDD that got bricked, put the original drive in (my game saves are on the PS Cloud), get it up and running until the patch is available, then put the 1 TB back in, and, assuming the patch doesn't force a HDD reformat, I can get my system and content restored without losing anything (having to redownload it again). I know the success of this plan does depend on the ability to get my original drive running on 4.45 (which is in the console's flash memory and which I know some people have been able to do). Advice?

I'd be almost certain that the FW is like a bios and is loaded into a BIOS like chips ROM. At lest the stuff that counts to boot it.

Thus I don't think the HDD would hve the stuff needed to boot a brick, unless theres some software workaround. Not totally sure though.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd be almost certain that the FW is like a bios and is loaded into a BIOS like chips ROM. At lest the stuff that counts to boot it.

Thus I don't think the HDD would hve the stuff needed to boot a brick, unless theres some software workaround. Not totally sure though.

Some people in the community forums are having success with putting an old factory hard drive into a system bricked by 4.45. The FW apparently resides in the PS3's internal flash memory once installed, so you can't go back to 4.41, but it still needs the full version of the 4.45 FW on a USB drive to fully restore the system in safe mode, assuming it doesn't brick the old drive as well. People are posting the full 4.45 FW online for others to download, since Sony pulled it from their site. So it is possible, but my concern is that when I put my 1 TB hard drive back in my PS3 (once the fix is available), I will be forced to reformat it before installing the fixed FW, thereby losing 100s of gigs in content that I'll need to redownload.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 PM

Liked: 20
A week is a long ass time...I wonder how many people were affected by this. Update was already pulled down by the time I had a chance to power up my PS3 that day.