The Order: 1886... 3rd person steampunk action on the PS4 - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

Old 02-24-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
I'm hoping this comes to redbox soon since my redboxes just started getting this-gen games.
Man...

Hopefully the rest of the country will be so lucky. Can't believe it's been almost 18 months since these "current-gen" systems have been available, and I still can't rent the games at my local redbox.
BDUB619 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Picking this and Evolve from kijiji tomorrow for $40 each. With games going to $74.99 in this cold snowy Country I will be looking to sites like kijiji for my game purchases. $40 was my sweet spot for this game and I am happy to pay it.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
Old 02-24-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post
Picking this and Evolve from kijiji tomorrow for $40 each. With games going to $74.99 in this cold snowy Country I will be looking to sites like kijiji for my game purchases. $40 was my sweet spot for this game and I am happy to pay it.
Never heard of Kijiji. Is this a new site?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post
Never heard of Kijiji. Is this a new site?
It's the Canadian version of Craigslist and is owned by eBay (we also have Craigslist, but it isn't as popular).
Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I have to be honest, this game was a disappointing experience to me. Graphics are not as great as the hype. Heavy use of grayish colors, blurry backgrounds and letter boxing that takes away a 3rd of the playing field. Objects like newspapers and photos that you find do nothing to impact the outcome of the game. You could go thru the whole game and get none of them and it changes nothing (except the Trophy). It's very linear with little variety aside from some of the weapons. The best part of the game, the half breeds and ****** (don't want to spoil it) are hardly seen or used. Instead you're shooting wave after wave of generic rebels. And the "shooting gallery" sections are not done well at all IMO. Gears of War is almost 10 years old and has much better gameplay mechanics than this. Just feels like RaD tried to break up their interactive movie by adding in these lame shooting sections to add action and length of time to the game. And there are way too many QTE's.

I finished it in ~7 hours on Normal difficulty and most of it was monotonous. Only in the latter half of the game did things get kind of interesting (the few stealth sections were easy but entertaining).

This is just my experience, your mileage may vary.
Nayan and freemeat like this.

Sony HW40es Projector / 106" Silver Ticket screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
Old 02-25-2015, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am doing my second play through on Hard and love it just as much as the first play through. The objects like newspapers are fun to find especially if you 'read' them as they fit in with the story and offer clues as to the mystery.

The black bars never bothered me at all, just like they do not bother me with films. I play on a 128" screen and perhaps if I played on something really small, I would notice them more.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Yeah, the bars don't bother me at all but I'm also on a 65" screen. Of course I'd love to use all the real estate of my display as well if given the choice. Gallahad does take up quite a bit of space. Less blurriness would be nice as well. I still think it looks fantastic, just that it could look even better if it wasn't blurry (but that is probably a requirement to get the visuals it does have, along with the black bars).

I just made it to the stealth section in the rain which I think is a little over half way through the game. I would be thrilled if a sequel decided to get rid of these QTE's or cut the frequency of them down significantly. They definitely need to ramp up the variety of encounters in combat as well. I enjoy it but there isn't much variety at all.
Nayan and BDUB619 like this.

Last edited by freemeat; 02-25-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I enjoyed the game. My main complaints. Not full screen, excessive motion blur, film grain. Of course these are to hide the short comings of the hardware. But, hey. I certainly give them a big E for effort if we can get games like this in the future to run that way. While playing the whole time. I would hope the next consoles can pull that off. As for the rest. Story was decent, top notch sound and most of all. The graphic details and settings of the world as a whole. Absolutely top notch and stunning. Game play when you are actually playing. Pure and simple. Just generic and nothing special. It played fine and done well being generic. If it played bad. This title would have been in big trouble. All in all. I hope we get a sequel. Maybe not this gen and next. Possible launch title? That would be great.

I don't want another this gen only because of the game play issue. As I said before. We need way more. But, the hardware is not capable of pulling it off yet with those kind of graphics. And I imagine they would even be better looking on the PS5. If I had to rate it on a scale from 1-10. I give it a very strong 6.5 I would put The Last Of Us and The Order 1886 the top 2 PS4 exclusives out atm. Then again I don't know if the TLOU really counts as that came out for PS3.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 02-25-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
I have to be honest, this game was a disappointing experience to me. Graphics are not as great as the hype. Heavy use of grayish colors, blurry backgrounds and letter boxing that takes away a 3rd of the playing field. Objects like newspapers and photos that you find do nothing to impact the outcome of the game. You could go thru the whole game and get none of them and it changes nothing (except the Trophy). It's very linear with little variety aside from some of the weapons. The best part of the game, the half breeds and ****** (don't want to spoil it) are hardly seen or used. Instead you're shooting wave after wave of generic rebels. And the "shooting gallery" sections are not done well at all IMO. Gears of War is almost 10 years old and has much better gameplay mechanics than this. Just feels like RaD tried to break up their interactive movie by adding in these lame shooting sections to add action and length of time to the game. And there are way too many QTE's.

I finished it in ~7 hours on Normal difficulty and most of it was monotonous. Only in the latter half of the game did things get kind of interesting (the few stealth sections were easy but entertaining).

This is just my experience, your mileage may vary.
Could not have said it better. Nice review! I've played worse, but expected a lot more from a Sony Exclusive that's been pimped for over a year. After 1 play through, I'm not even interested enough to go through another pass to clean up the remaining trophies.
BDUB619 likes this.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Needs more cowbell, I mean game play.

Final battle sucked.

I do hope they make a sequel, there is a ton of potential for a great game. It wouldn't take much to make it quite a bit better.

Graphics, music, voice acting are great. I noticed the guy form Journey (Austin Wintory) had a part in the music.
Nayan likes this.

Last edited by freemeat; 02-26-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
Needs more cowbell, I mean game play.

Final battle sucked.

I do hope they make a sequel, there is a ton of potential for a great game. It wouldn't take much to make it quite a bit better.

Graphics, music, voice acting are great. I noticed the guy form Journey (Austin Wintory) had a part in the music.
I agree about the final battle. Left a lot to be desired. A sequel would be awesome though and I do hope they give us one.

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
Old 02-27-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm absolutely blown away by the chasm between differing opinions on this game.

In some podcasts that I'm listening to, there is a guy that really loves the Order, and he's talking about in glowing terms, and then on the next podcast that I listen to, there is a guy shizzing all over it.

It's crazy to see such a dramatic difference in opinions.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Don't most games fall into the love it or hate it camp? These days, most people, especially podcasters/YouTubers/reviewers, tend to be overly dramatic to generate clicks so they make money. While I'm sure that some of their points are valid, I can't take them seriously when they simply bash a game without reason. They simply only see and harp on the bad parts of the game, which helps no one listening/watching. There are games that are simply bad, but The Order 1886 certainly isn't one of them.
Nayan and Cravit8 like this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Don't most games fall into the love it or hate it camp? These days, most people, especially podcasters/YouTubers/reviewers, tend to be overly dramatic to generate clicks so they make money. While I'm sure that some of their points are valid, I can't take them seriously when they simply bash a game without reason. They simply only see and harp on the bad parts of the game, which helps no one listening/watching. There are games that are simply bad, but The Order 1886 certainly isn't one of them.
Full disclosure, I haven't played the Order yet, so I must qualify that first...

However, in listening to all the "haters" make various points about why the game is bad, it's very hard for me to imagine this game being any good based on what these people are saying, unless they are just flat out lying about it.

It would take too long for me to list all the complaints that have been said, that seem to be pretty reasonable complaints, but if even 6 out of 10 of them are realities, I can't see this game being considered "good". Decent might be a term that can be used, but "good" ?

Again, I haven't actually played the game myself, so I honestly don't know what the true story is, but man, it's kinda amazing to me this chasm that exists.

I really need to rent this damn game, so I can see for myself which side of the fence I fall on.

Come on Redbox... help a brotha out....

Last edited by Anthony1; 02-27-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

IMO it appears that most of the people who really enjoyed the game are either younger, less experienced gamers or PS4 fanboys. 1886 is not a bad game per se', but it isn't a great game either. I'd give it a 5/10. There are some good ideas and nice moments but they are too few and far between. For most of the game I found myself bored and uninterested, just trying to get thru a level so I could see if it got better on the next level. Some of the best aspects of the game are underutilized. For example, we only get 2 werewolf fights and both of those are extremely easy (stand in a corner and shoot, dodge when QTE appears). We never get to face or fight ***** even though they are the main antagonists behind the evil in the game. And after the final battle, the game ends abruptly. What happens between Grayson and Devi? To Tesla?

Maybe I've been around the gaming block too many times (been playing since 1979) but every scenario in 1886 I've played before and all were done better in other games. This game had a ton of potential and is a solid first effort for RaD but I really hope they make improvements for the inevitable sequel.

Sony 70" W830B LED TV

Last edited by BDUB619; 02-27-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I think I was just in the mood for something a bit different than normal. I've been getting worn out on action shooters and indie games. I also try to enjoy games for the most part, instead of picking them apart.

With that said, the game feels overpriced for what you get, which is why I'm trading it in.
kjr39 and Nayan like this.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm 37. I don't hate it or love it. I think The Last of Us raised the bar for me for these kinds of games. If this game was as long as The Last of Us, with as much gameplay, I probably would love it despite the actual gameplay not being top tier like the TLoU. It's just too damn short with too little variety in gameplay.

The two Lycan battles were practically identical, both in similar looking warehouses in layout as well.

The game is a solid foundation for what could potentially be a great sequel. One would hope the developes get a chance and take note of the criticisms.

I'd probably score it 6.5 to 7 tops.

Edit: I may replay some of the scenarios but I don't think it will have much replayabilty for me.

Last edited by freemeat; 02-27-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
"IMO it appears that most of the people who really enjoyed the game are either younger, less experienced gamers or PS4 fanboys"

I don't think so. I have so many miles playing video games & I'm 47 and just loved Order:1886. I've been playing games since Pong and I have ALL Next Gen systems (PS4, XBOX One, Wii U, Vita, 3DSXl & New 3DSXL) plus my Gaming PC. Finally beat the game today (~10 hrs) and I have to say WOW, what an Amazing game. I loved the ending and HOPE RAD does a sequel. This to me so far is the best exclusive to come out for either PS4 or XBOX One. Had a blast playing. There was enough weapon variations for me. The story was incredible and to tell ya the truth I forgot that there were black bars in the game. I don't feell there is any console game out that can stand up to the Order graphics wise save maybe Ryse. Voice acting was top notch. Thoroughly enjoyed Order:1886. I'd give it an 8.5 and very good start to hopefully getting 2 more in the series.
Nayan and freemeat like this.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron

Last edited by Bigfame; 02-27-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post
"IMO it appears that most of the people who really enjoyed the game are either younger, less experienced gamers or PS4 fanboys"

I don't think so. I have so many miles playing video games & I'm 47 and just loved Order:1886. I've been playing games since Pong and I have ALL Next Gen systems (PS4, XBOX One, Wii U, Vita, 3DSXl & New 3DSXL) plus my Gaming PC. Finally beat the game today (~10 hrs) and I have to say WOW, what an Amazing game. I loved the ending and HOPE RAD does a sequel. This to me so far is the best exclusive to come out for either PS4 or XBOX One. Had a blast playing. There was enough weapon variations for me. The story was incredible and to tell ya the truth I forgot that there were black bars in the game. I don't feell there is any console game out that can stand up to the Order graphics wise save maybe Ryse. Voice acting was top notch. Thoroughly enjoyed Order:1886. I'd give it an 8.5 and very good start to hopefully getting 2 more in the series.
My feelings exactly, and I enjoyed my second play through just as much.

People complaining about the abrupt ending missed the obvious point that there is more to come...
Old 02-27-2015, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgheist View Post

People complaining about the abrupt ending missed the obvious point that there is more to come...
No doubt. The ending was awesome as far as I was concerned. Definitely left me wanting more.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
Old 02-27-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgheist View Post

To be clarify I hated the last fight. I would rather have actually fought a boss instead of some crappy recycled qte.

I liked the way the story ended. They did a great job on the story overall.
BDUB619 likes this.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post

I'm just a year older than you and I felt the same way. Loved it!
Bigfame likes this.

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
Old 02-28-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I haven't beaten the game yet. I've liked it thus far. They way I see it, I look at a game and say one of two things:

1) Am I glad the game existed?
2) Would I rather have not played it if I could go back in time knowing what I know now?

The Order passes that test. It's not ground breaking, it's not going to be my GOTY but it's been a solid enough game so far.

To me the state of this game seems obvious, most projects whether they be games, movies, or whatever start with a foundation. With the foundation completed you then polish and expand. Seems to me that RAD developed the foundation, the world, the characters, but then was cut short (presumably by Sony) to release the game without the last layer of expansion. I'd imagine they have more story line and gameplay set pieces.. I'd imagine they were planning a menu that let you track the collectibles. This screams of a deadline and instead of putting half functioning content out they put out stripped down, yet polished, content instead. I'd imagine a sequel would address all of this, although even then it's likely to be a narrative driven game with QTEs and cut scenes, and to me, that's OK. Linear, narrative driven games are a good aside from sandbox sidequest fests that every game seems to want to be now.
Bigfame likes this.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Old 02-28-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Man...

Hopefully the rest of the country will be so lucky. Can't believe it's been almost 18 months since these "current-gen" systems have been available, and I still can't rent the games at my local redbox.
A lonely copy just showed up at a redbox 5 miles from me, sweet.
Nayan likes this.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Old 03-02-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 150
The game took me 1 day and 6 hours to platinum and that's including a lot of Destiny multiplayer (and eating, and sleeping, and going to the gym, etc.)

Here's what I wrote elsewhere:
The game really got unfairly reviewed. Yes, it is short and has no replayability, so it depends on what you think is the value of a game. If you ever thought Resident Evil or the Remake was worth $60, then how is this not? The graphics are nearly photorealistic and the only corners I could see getting cut were reflections. The gameplay was incredibly tight and the weapons were great. The story was actually pretty good too. My only real criticisms is that everything is too dark and drab and it was hard to play it all at once, but I got it on a free Gamefly trial so I wanted to hurry. Definitely a game that should be in every PS4 collection, for technical purposes, so wait for a great sale.
Quote:
IMO it appears that most of the people who really enjoyed the game are either younger, less experienced gamers or PS4 fanboys.
This quote is incredibly rude (and patronizing) and wrong. I've been a gamer since 1983 so I guess your four years of Atari have made you a better, more experienced gamer than I. Graphics are not as great as the hype? I think they're better than the hype. I expected more rough edges and tricks and shortcuts. The color palette and graininess were stylistic choices (admittedly ones that I didn't find necessary.)

I see a lot of valid criticisms, such as the number and variety of werewolf encounters, but I thought the science weapons were fun and well done. There should have been more using them, even though they were way overpowered.
Bigfame and Nayan like this.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post
This quote is incredibly rude (and patronizing) and wrong. I've been a gamer since 1983 so I guess your four years of Atari have made you a better, more experienced gamer than I. Graphics are not as great as the hype? I think they're better than the hype. I expected more rough edges and tricks and shortcuts. The color palette and graininess were stylistic choices (admittedly ones that I didn't find necessary.)
Rude (and patronizing)? It wasn't meant to be either.

It's just a sentence to give some background on how I formed my opinion and from what I've seen in review comments, message boards and forums. If you don't like my views of 1886, it's your prerogative to disagree but don't be so easily offended. And I'm sure you're a better gamer than I am

Sony 70" W830B LED TV
Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Rude (and patronizing)? It wasn't meant to be either.

It's just a sentence to give some background on how I formed my opinion and from what I've seen in review comments, message boards and forums. If you don't like my views of 1886, it's your prerogative to disagree but don't be so easily offended. And I'm sure you're a better gamer than I am
I wasn't referring to your views on 1886 but rather your views on people that like it and your convenient way to trivialize their opinions. Also, you were the one bragging about gaming since 1979, so don't roll your eyes at THAT.
Bigfame and Nayan like this.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Rolling my eyes because you took my comment out of context and to a whole different level.

"Maybe I've been around the gaming block too many times (been playing since 1979) but every scenario in 1886 I've played before and all were done better in other games."

Glad you enjoyed 1886 more than I did.

Sony 70" W830B LED TV
Old 03-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Funny review of 1886 just hit today from Angry Joe

MaxDam77 likes this.

Sony 70" W830B LED TV
Old 03-02-2015, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Tesla's inventions deserve more game time. Probably my biggest gripe with this title. That and a lack of character background. Would love to know how long these knights have been serving, what brought them into The Order. Who/what decrees ascension?

For those who have finished the game...
Spoiler!

For all the objectionist, please note ALL games involve going from Point A to Point B with "filler" content in between. Its the staple of every game, including Uncharted, Tomb Raider, God of War, and even Gears. All of the just have more filler than this one, but the formula is the same.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
The Order 1886