The Order: 1886... 3rd person steampunk action on the PS4 - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
Its the staple of every game, including Uncharted, Tomb Raider, God of War, and even Gears. All of the just have more interesting filler and combat than this one, but the formula is the same.
Fixed that for you.
Epyon415 and BDUB619 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post
Funny review of 1886 just hit today from Angry Joe
I watched the whole video...halfway through I was still all about playing it but what really struck me was the part where teammates don't ever shoot/kill anything...ugh lol. I started having nervous flashbacks about every other last gen FPS game I ever played, including Halo.
BDUB619 likes this.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
I watched the whole video...halfway through I was still all about playing it but what really struck me was the part where teammates don't ever shoot/kill anything...ugh lol. I started having nervous flashbacks about every other last gen FPS game I ever played, including Halo.
Could be worse. I remember playing MW3 and thinking why bother even playing? I just move forward a tad and the AI friendlies mowed everything down for me.

I'm staying on blackout until I play this and I've heard Angry Joe spoils a lot of the game....insert game is 5 minutes long joke here
Old 03-03-2015, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Funny review. He is spot on with every thing. For some strange reason though. I still enjoyed it.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Finished it about 4 nights ago, traded it back in to Gamestop yesterday. Got half of bloodborne paid off as a result.

I think the length of the game was alright, but it really felt like I was rushing through every environment. On the flipside, some other games feel like they recycle environments a little too much when you have to run backwards and forwards through maps on fetch quests, or "this time everything is blown up and you gotta escape the way you came" scenarios. Given the two options, I think I would appreciate a little more story and game time.

The game was gorgeous though. Music and Sound was very nice too. I just hated the fight scenes. The "QTE" showdowns weren't that bad, but just the general infiltration missions where there are 5-6 guards per area on rigid walk paths was just too pedestrian. Straight up firefights felt staged and without much substance. Wave one will have 4-5 generics who generally meander to cover then pop out of cover every 5 seconds to shoot. Hardly any variation at all. Finish that set and the next will contain a shotgun or someone in armor who will charge you. Then maybe another wave after that and you are able to proceed. Nearly every single non sneaky fight scene plays out the same way.

The Order had so much potential with it's pretty graphics, good sound, story, characters and weapons. All that felt pretty fresh and unique but ultimately the "game" portion was average at best. I also didn't see any replay value.
tampabuc, Nayan, freemeat and 1 others like this.

Warning: I make a lot of mistakes but occasionally I learn from them!

Last edited by Johnny Mnemonic; 03-11-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Got this from @tampabuc posting on another thread, funny stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-u0tCQBdE#t=113
tampabuc likes this.

Sony HW40es Projector / 106" Silver Ticket screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619

Last edited by BDUB619; 03-11-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 130
You guys are trying too hard. Every day tampabuc posts that vid, and every day a mod deletes his post. Now you're doing it for him... not cool. Denigrating the PS4 or its exclusives on the relatively small gaming section of AVS isn't going to change the tide.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
You guys are trying too hard. Every day tampabuc posts that vid, and every day a mod deletes his post. Now you're doing it for him... not cool. Denigrating the PS4 or its exclusives on the relatively small gaming section of AVS isn't going to change the tide.
Ahh, just having a little fun with it. Lighten up.

Sony 70" W830B LED TV
Old 03-11-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Oops... sorry, thought it was the "interview with Ready at Dawn developer" vid that tampabuc keeps posting here over and over again. I thought that one was funny too, but apparently others did not. It's just a waste of time for mods to have to keep deleting the same posts repeatedly.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Lol, that video is pretty spot on.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Pontifus Maximus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I just want to chime in for anyone thinking of getting this game - I think review sites are somehow paid off. In my opinion no way it deserves such low scores. I very much enjoyed it and I highly recommend it. Maybe the fact I have a stellar 4k HT set up, made it better... I could see that maybe if you were playing on a crappy little tv , it wouldn't be as amazing. But assuming you have a decent picture/TV.. Go buy it! A must play in my opinion. Truly next gen.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I am going to rent it...eventually. And I'm completely ok with a cinematic QTE.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Old 03-13-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
I just want to chime in for anyone thinking of getting this game - I think review sites are somehow paid off. In my opinion no way it deserves such low scores. I very much enjoyed it and I highly recommend it. Maybe the fact I have a stellar 4k HT set up, made it better... I could see that maybe if you were playing on a crappy little tv , it wouldn't be as amazing. But assuming you have a decent picture/TV.. Go buy it! A must play in my opinion. Truly next gen.
There's no doubt it's a next gen game, but with the very limited amount of actual gameplay, it's simply not worth $60 especially considering there isn't any incentive to play through it again.
tampabuc, Nayan, Smigro and 2 others like this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Old 03-13-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

This is already $50 used at Gamestop. Was tempted to buy it and run it back by the end of the weekend buy I will just Gamefly it.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post
This is already $50 used at Gamestop. Was tempted to buy it and run it back by the end of the weekend buy I will just Gamefly it.
man, gotta love\hate GS. Trade-in value is barely $25. Guess they use critic reviews as well.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Videos

I am the greatest MGO player eva!! - http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415/v/24236420
Old 03-13-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post
man, gotta love\hate GS. Trade-in value is barely $25. Guess they use critic reviews as well.
Probably going by how many trade ins I'm guessing. Think they just base it on volume in vs sales and I'm also guessing they have stacks sitting there.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:02 PM

When I was about halfway through the game, I started to check what Gamestop would give me for trade in credit. It started around 42, and each night it kept dropping like 3 bucks. I do like to take my time to explore and enjoy games, but I knew this game would have near zero replay value for me. So it quickly became a race to finish it for the most store credit.

Finally sold it for 33 bucks store credit towards bloodborne.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, people still go to Gamestop? They lost me as a customer when they refused to swap out my 2 day old defective Turtle Beach headset that I purchased from them for a new one. "We don't offer exchange policies for headsets. You have to go through Turtle Beach."

I had to go to another store and luckily got a manager that was somewhat understanding. I just wanted the same thing, only a working one. He swapped it out but told me it was the only time he could do it.

My experience was so terrible that I emailed their corporate team with what happened. 3 weeks later I recieved an email that said sorry about your experience, here is our policy on headsets.

Sorry about the off topic rant, but I seriously hate that company and am done doing business with them.
Nayan likes this.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Dude!

Yes! We still go to GameStop to trade in the new games we bought at Target/BB/etc. for $40 after they sucked, played them out regardless, and still got $42.50 in trade in!

This is not always possible, takes some work and planning, but way better than digital disappearance and risk any day. I fear these days are numbered...
Old 03-13-2015, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Wow, people still go to Gamestop? They lost me as a customer when they refused to swap out my 2 day old defective Turtle Beach headset that I purchased from them for a new one. "We don't offer exchange policies for headsets. You have to go through Turtle Beach."

I had to go to another store and luckily got a manager that was somewhat understanding. I just wanted the same thing, only a working one. He swapped it out but told me it was the only time he could do it.

My experience was so terrible that I emailed their corporate team with what happened. 3 weeks later I recieved an email that said sorry about your experience, here is our policy on headsets.

Sorry about the off topic rant, but I seriously hate that company and am done doing business with them.
A lot of stuff is that way these days. Stores just don't do exchanges sometimes and rely on the manufacturers and yes it blows...
Old 03-14-2015, 11:08 AM

Big Brad, do you trade in your old games you never intend to play again? If so where? I've been tempted to try Amazon as I know they do that now, but driving 5 minutes and getting instant redemption at the local brick and mortar is awefully hard to compete against.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I do trade in my games that I don't intend to play again. That was the case with The Order 1886, I traded it in a week after it came out and ended up only being out $6. I pretty much trade in exclusively at Best Buy these days as I've found they have the best trade in value (typically). I have used Amazon in the past for games, but I feel it just takes too long.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Old 03-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

I agree with you all - after I finish a game, I'll sell it unless it's a classic to me and think I might play it again. Mainly sell my games on Craigslist or Amazon because it's easiest for me and I get cash, not credit. I haven't traded in a game at Gamestop in years, got tired of their ridiculous mark ups. Buy a game off me for $15 and then sell it for $49?? No thanks.
Nayan likes this.

Sony 70" W830B LED TV
Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Before I go to the local shops; anyone interested in buying my copy of the game? $35 shipped. Good till Friday. Send me a PM.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @roguengames
YouTube Gameplay Videos

I am the greatest MGO player eva!! - http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415/v/24236420
Old 04-13-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 143
A pretty snazzy photo mode has just been added:

Old 04-13-2015, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 732
It's really well done. You can play with the tweaks as well.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best game graphics i have seen in my life.But it lacks gameplay.Its like a movie.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 788
It is a beautiful "game", but yeah, not much gameplay. I hope they release a follow-up though.

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Tom Bissell talks about The Order in this podcast. I've transcribed a few excerpts:

Quote:
I thought it was technically astounding, so technically astounding that I think anyone who's interested in digital art, or animation, or world building, or just lighting -- whether cinematic or virtual -- should play this game. It is a craftsman's playground, to just watch the minute details in this game. Its eye for detail is absolutely stunning.

I think it's really interesting that so many of the developers I've talked to, friends that work at studios with me, a lot of them really like The Order, whereas my critical friends all hated it.

There are writer's writers, and maybe there are even filmmaker's filmmakers... but maybe The Order is not a gamer's game, it's a developer's game.... I'm thinking of the kitchen fight in particular. There's so much going sonically in that level, like just the way the bullets sound in that tiled room, and when you hit a pot and the pot falls and hits the floor. The directional audio you're hearing, I was just blown away by how much aural detail they managed to work into that space, in that gunfight. It's all stuff that most people play through and go, "oh, it's a gunfight in a kitchen," but I just stopped playing and wrote a feverish 400-word mini-essay on how amazing the sound in that space was.

If you're interested in animation, you should play The Order. If you're interested in virtual lighting, you should play The Order. If you're interested in weapon design, if you're a texture artist and you want to look at the absolute pinnacle of achievement in video games, you should play The Order. If you're someone who wants a really solid action game with a compelling story, yeah, I probably wouldn't recommend The Order either, because it's a pretty obtuse game in a lot of ways... I'm a sucker for style and The Order has a lot more style visually and atmospherically than most other games, and that's enough for me to recommend it to people who want something different from just another bang-em-out action game.
http://shallweshow.com/2015/08/tom-b...r-1886-really/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
The Order 1886