Bad move for PS4 to charge for online gaming like xbox live does? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

A minimum of 6 months needs to come with every PS4 for the first year it is on the market. If they keep delivering fantastic sales and the Instant Game Collection for Single player portions of games (like Battlefield, and Killzone) and indie titles and people will want to keep Plus going just for the extras, but only if Sony keeps Plus as good as it is on PS3.

I think they will keep doing it for the PS3 but it would be difficult to do it for the PS4...at least at first. Since there is no backwards compatibility then everything will be brand spanking new. It would be hard to give away brand spankin new games. They may give them nice discounts but nothing too deep. I think they will have to wait for the launch stuff to get a little long in the tooth before they can start giving them away. I would love for Sony to prove me wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 557
Drive Club Plus edition is basically a demo version of the full game, with enough content to be enjoyable, but enough stripped to get you to want to buy the rest.

Shooters could include the single player and a demo version of multiplayer (much like the free Killzone 3 multi, your level is capped pretty low) this is probably how it will work early on.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #33 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I don't know, I guess it's just me but I have no problem with less than $5 a month to assure the best gaming experience possible. I do agree that free online gaming was nice, but TBH IMO there are things Sony could do better and now that people have to pay to play I think we will see them.
post #34 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Drive Club Plus edition is basically a demo version of the full game, with enough content to be enjoyable, but enough stripped to get you to want to buy the rest.

Shooters could include the single player and a demo version of multiplayer (much like the free Killzone 3 multi, your level is capped pretty low) this is probably how it will work early on.

Thats said, they did say that it won't cost the full price of the game to grab the rest of the content. It'll probably be like a steeply discounted full game on PS+ to get all the content.
post #35 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 04:04 PM

Maybe their online servers will be better now that they are charging for them? As awesome as the PS3s free online gaming was the servers were not the best.
post #36 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Liked: 832
Well, thats because of of the servers were actually someone elses PS3. The majority of games were P2P. Same on the 360.

COd sort of steered this last gen to P2P MP with dedicated matchmaking servers. It's been terrible for online play.
post #37 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by notterminator View Post

Maybe their online servers will be better now that they are charging for them? As awesome as the PS3s free online gaming was the servers were not the best.

Just like with Microsoft and the 360, Sony does not host servers for third parties. Call of Duty is P2P on all consoles (but has dedicated servers on PC) and will remain the same next gen. Sony charging for multiplayer will have zero effect on how well games play on the PS4.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #38 of 40 Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
the lack of annual dues is also one of the reasons I chose PS3 over xbox360 in the first place, though I probably would've picked PS3 anyway.

Having a membership fee for online is understandable but not ideal for casual gamers. I am less and less casual and more a regular gamer these days but between having such a full and unplayed backlog for PS3 and not being able to justify having a PS4 too, having to buy Plus for online is one more reason I will delay my purchase of a PS4 for a good year or two.
post #39 of 40 Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 AM

I think it is a bad move from Sony. For the casual gamer it seems like an unjustified cost. Back in 2002 I think Xbox Live was great and the Quality of Service for online multiplayer was beyond anything you could find, so back then I though $50 a year was a good deal for a service you couldn't find anywhere, it wasn't a commodity. Online gaming in consoles was virtually nonexistent back then and talking while you played was a novelty.

But now, a lot of people have broadband with more than enough bandwidth to even support video calls while you play, online play is a commodity, any decent game supports it and I think when I pay $60 for a game that has an online component in it, I assume it is coming as part of the cost of the game. I mean, PC games support online gaming very well and you don't need to pay a subscription to use it, that's why I just don't see the added value in 2013.

If they want to charge extra for saving your games in the cloud, for playing your games on any console, for getting some extra games a month, for video chat while you play, for sharing the game footage while you play, for automatically finding the best match while you do other stuff, I'm fine with it, I would even pay for it, but I don't think charging for online multiplayer is worth it anymore.

Also, for online multiplayer, you want to encourage people to try it, specially casual gamers, putting a subscription cost to it, just makes it more hardcore. I don't know if anyone has noticed that Xbox Live community is more hardcore than the PSN community and I personally enjoy more playing with less hardcore gamers.

For casual gamers it is difficult enough to find friends that own the same games you do to play online, now that a subscription is added it will just make it impossible for casual gamers to play online.

Also, I think if Sony made this mistake, Microsoft should start playing Sony's game and making online play available on Xbox Live Silver, that's the type of response I'm expecting from Microsoft instead of just copying what Sony says.

Since Sony announced it would charge for online play, I just won't buy the Xbox One because of the extra $100 USD I have to pay for a Kinect I don't need or want.
post #40 of 40 Old 08-12-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

when I called sony they said that they aren't sure if playstation home will be compatible with ps4. I like home. I know that it is just avatars chatting and dancing but it is still fun.
I've met a lot of good friends on Home.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page