Bad move for PS4 to charge for online gaming like xbox live does? - AVS Forum
1 2 
PlayStation Area > Bad move for PS4 to charge for online gaming like xbox live does?
keyboardcat's Avatar keyboardcat 06:28 PM 06-29-2013
One reason that I got the ps3 is that you didn't have to pay 60 a month to play online. I found out that playstation plus will be required to play online games. on ps4. I think that this may hurt ps4 sales. What do you all think?

Big Brad's Avatar Big Brad 07:08 PM 06-29-2013
Nope. It's not $60 a month nor even $60 a year for PlayStation Plus. Plus, you get a ton of free content while you are a subscriber. It's an overall better value than XBOX Live. And I wouldn't worry about it hurting the PS4 sales. Microsoft's reputation at this point isn't doing too well with the actual gamers out there, meaning quite a few people may be jumping ship to Sony's platform.
kjr39's Avatar kjr39 07:47 PM 06-29-2013
No. For what they provide for free, it's more than worth the 50 a year.
keyboardcat's Avatar keyboardcat 01:43 AM 06-30-2013
but after plus runs out they take away your stuff I heard
keyboardcat's Avatar keyboardcat 01:44 AM 06-30-2013
at least microsoft got scared and got rid of the drm stuff which is good.
keyboardcat's Avatar keyboardcat 01:45 AM 06-30-2013
i wish that the xbox one didn't require kinect my 360 kinect barely recognizes me sometimes
blklightning's Avatar blklightning 01:48 AM 06-30-2013
I have Plus right now so I couldn't care less. But this is the land of "I want everything for free," so I imagine many people are going to throw a fit over it.
TyrantII's Avatar TyrantII 07:15 AM 06-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

but after plus runs out they take away your stuff I heard

For the "Free" stuff you lose access to it, but if you re-up your sub it comes back. For anything you spend even $0.01 on (plus discounts), you get to keep it forever.

Then there's:

They're also moving automatic updates, and from the sounds of it, a few other things OUT of plus. Sounds like they want all their social stuff NOT behind a wall, to further entice those into coming online to play. If they also add dedicated servers, clan support, and party join from the OS... I'd say you're starting to get value at $5/month even if you had no want or need for the free games. Those games just push it way over the top.
keyboardcat's Avatar keyboardcat 07:29 AM 06-30-2013
when I called sony they said that they aren't sure if playstation home will be compatible with ps4. I like home. I know that it is just avatars chatting and dancing but it is still fun.
TyrantII's Avatar TyrantII 07:35 AM 06-30-2013
I don't see why they wouldn't. Apparently HOME has been super profitable for them, being a sort of social MMO with micro transactions on digital goods.

Not my bag, and I'm disappointed it never turned into the something that would run concurrently with games; but I don't see why they'd just drop it since it's a nice revenue stream. Home² maybe?
DR.DTS's Avatar DR.DTS 08:33 AM 06-30-2013
I've been with MS and Xbox since 2002 and been online with them just as long with thir "Gold" subscription. For us with the 360 it's been a norm and viewed as being well worth it when you break it down as being a few dollars a month based on what you're getting.

This time around I'm getting the PS4 and will keep playing the 360 till whenever. And seveal of my online 360 friends are doing the same...until MS can convince us to get the XO. I'm getting and accepting PS Plus because it's worth it. I've got some friends who have both the PS3 and 360 and each have said the same thing....for community XBL wins but for overall value it's PS+. I really find it odd some are actually complaining about having to pay for something that will not only provide a better service later but already has excellent value to begin with at the cost of a few dollars a month. Just more of the same people out there...wants more and more stuff but doen't want to pay out their pocket or wants it to come out of someone else pocket.

Kenny J
360 - BuzzZaw66
Filipinoyakuza's Avatar Filipinoyakuza 03:19 PM 06-30-2013
Best Buy has a deal right now and this the cheapest you will find PS+ at anytime.

$10 for 1 year or $5 off 3 months:

Link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=+PlayStation_Plus_Offer_108090&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960
Smigro's Avatar Smigro 01:58 PM 07-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Nope. It's not $60 a month nor even $60 a year for PlayStation Plus. Plus, you get a ton of free content while you are a subscriber. It's an overall better value than XBOX Live. And I wouldn't worry about it hurting the PS4 sales. Microsoft's reputation at this point isn't doing too well with the actual gamers out there, meaning quite a few people may be jumping ship to Sony's platform.

GUILTY

Although I am probably getting both consoles, with the upcoming systems I think the PS4 will be my main gaming device and the XBone will be for exclusives...which is the opposite of how they function now in my setup.
Smigro's Avatar Smigro 02:03 PM 07-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

Best Buy has a deal right now and this the cheapest you will find PS+ at anytime.

$10 for 1 year or $5 off 3 months:

Link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=+PlayStation_Plus_Offer_108090&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

That is $10 off...not 12 months of PS Plus for $10.
blazed's Avatar blazed 12:07 AM 07-02-2013
I don't mind if they charge for online play, BUT they have to show me why I am paying. Will the online games have dedicated servers and features that I would use?
Deckard757's Avatar Deckard757 02:40 PM 07-03-2013
It's not $60 a month, it's $50 a year.

And I don't really mind it.

Because if Sony is going to get their online servers up to par with Microsoft or even surpass them, then they need to have some additional revenue/resources to make it happen.
americangunner's Avatar americangunner 02:42 PM 07-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard757 View Post

It's not $60 a month, it's $50 a year.

And I don't really mind it.

Because if Sony is going to get their online servers up to par with Microsoft or even surpass them, then they need to have some additional revenue/resources to make it happen.
This is true. But I am a little skeptical just because they are lagging in areas right now. I want to see how the service actually functions before I buy the console. But I don't think it's a bad move at all on their part.
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar PENDRAG0ON 03:39 PM 07-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed View Post

I don't mind if they charge for online play, BUT they have to show me why I am paying. Will the online games have dedicated servers and features that I would use?

Sony should instead be charging for all their added features instead of online play, but they will get more people to pay if they charge for online and leave that stuff free. It sucks, but they are chasing the money on this one.
metallicaband's Avatar metallicaband 04:15 PM 07-03-2013
It's a Great move for them (we're talking about A LOT of money here) but sucks for us, it's that simple. Microsoft only made their job A LOT easier to make it sound like "meh that's not so bad I guess, we're at least getting used games and no more evil DRM, besides it's pretty cool to have access to such great value at the same time", this was literally the PERFECT time to announce such thing without causing a backlash.

You shouldn't be charged to play a game you paid full price for to use online MP, that's Very stupid, it's not like Sony is providing those games dedicated servers for MP, most games are P2P anyway. Yes PSN plus is an amazing value specially if they'll continue it the same way as it is on the PS3, but forcing stuff upon people just to play their game online isn't right and some people genuinely don't want it, just because Sony has been doing the right stuff lately won't magically make us accept sugar coated ********, specially when I'm among the people who have Always criticized Gold for forcing people pay to play online for no reason, I'd be a complete hypocrite if I thought there's nothing wrong here.

With that said, I'm already among the people who have no problem paying for what PSN Plus offers right now so I'll automatically have access to MP which means this will not affect me at all, but again not everyone is in a similar situation.
Zookster's Avatar Zookster 04:29 PM 07-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

It's a Great move for them (we're talking about A LOT of money here) but sucks for us, it's that simple. Microsoft only made their job A LOT easier to make it sound like "meh that's not so bad I guess, we're at least getting used games and no more evil DRM, besides it's pretty cool to have access to such great value at the same time", this was literally the PERFECT time to announce such thing without causing a backlash.

You shouldn't be charged to play a game you paid full price for to use online MP, that's Very stupid, it's not like Sony is providing those games dedicated servers for MP, most games are P2P anyway. Yes PSN plus is an amazing value specially if they'll continue it the same way as it is on the PS3, but forcing stuff upon people just to play their game online isn't right and some people genuinely don't want it, just because Sony has been doing the right stuff lately won't magically make us accept sugar coated ********, specially when I'm among the people who have Always criticized Gold for forcing people pay to play online for no reason, I'd be a complete hypocrite if I thought there's nothing wrong here.

With that said, I'm already among the people who have no problem paying for what PSN Plus offers right now so I'll automatically have access to MP which means this will not affect me at all, but again not everyone is in a similar situation.

Could you imagine if MS didn't lead off with the DRM, used game, always online fiasco (which they ended up retracting), and then Sony came along and announced we are now charging for online? It more likely would have been Sony who took a beating in the gaming and social media during E3.
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar PENDRAG0ON 04:56 PM 07-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Could you imagine if MS didn't lead off with the DRM, used game, always online fiasco (which they ended up retracting), and then Sony came along and announced we are now charging for online? It more likely would have been Sony who took a beating in the gaming and social media during E3.

I don't think Sony would have risked it. They would have stuck everything but online play behind the Plus paywall just to avoid backlash.
RTRic's Avatar RTRic 02:03 PM 07-09-2013
No I think it was definitely needed. After years of lagging behind MS. They need this to build a more robust and user friendly network to being the PS community closer together. I think that Sony also including a mic with the PS4 is also huge for them. It was a huge annoyance with PS3 trying to play online and almost no one having one. It is also a pain to get groups together to play or just hang out with friends as they play other things without party chat. I love how easy it is to connect with friends on XBL. Just being able to send a voice message to someone without dropping out of the game you are in alone would be worth the extra money.
freemeat's Avatar freemeat 02:16 PM 07-09-2013
I've been a PS+ member for a long time and think it is a great value but still think the model for free online play like this gen would be better for gamers.
Smigro's Avatar Smigro 02:49 PM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRic View Post

No I think it was definitely needed. After years of lagging behind MS. They need this to build a more robust and user friendly network to being the PS community closer together. I think that Sony also including a mic with the PS4 is also huge for them. It was a huge annoyance with PS3 trying to play online and almost no one having one. It is also a pain to get groups together to play or just hang out with friends as they play other things without party chat. I love how easy it is to connect with friends on XBL. Just being able to send a voice message to someone without dropping out of the game you are in alone would be worth the extra money.

I agree with all of this. I have had XBL since the original Xbox almost 10 years ago and PSN for the last 4 years and IMO the XB experience has always been better. I mean lets be honest here...we are talking about $50 a year or $4.16 a month. Honestly if you cannot afford that then you IMO you shouldn't be playing online.

flame away
metallicaband's Avatar metallicaband 03:08 PM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post

I agree with all of this. I have had XBL since the original Xbox almost 10 years ago and PSN for the last 4 years and IMO the XB experience has always been better. I mean lets be honest here...we are talking about $50 a year or $4.16 a month. Honestly if you cannot afford that then you IMO you shouldn't be playing online.

flame away

It's not about being able to afford or not, some people don't play all the time, they play MP for a few months or even weeks a year max, is it fair for them to pay more fees for something they already paid for?

Also, I know people who literally only play a single game online, that's all that they do, like SF4, why make them pay to do that when the developers are the one who setup the online access for that game?
Zookster's Avatar Zookster 03:26 PM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

It's not about being able to afford or not, some people don't play all the time, they play MP for a few months or even weeks a year max, is it fair for them to pay more fees for something they already paid for?

Also, I know people who literally only play a single game online, that's all that they do, like SF4, why make them pay to do that when the developers are the one who setup the online access for that game?

Though I don't have any hard feelings about Sony charging for online, and I'll likely be a Plus member anyway, I'm one of these people that would otherwise be effected by this change. I rarely play online, but for games I especially like, particularly co-op, I do sometimes check out a game's MP. And once in a while a game's online play will resonate with me, and I'll put some time and effort into it. Would I play $50/year for that occasional opportunity. Heck no! And therefore would be completely cut off from that experience. Thankfully Sony isn't putting Netflix behind a pay wall. That's absolutely one of the most ridiculous policies I've seen in the gaming arena.
metallicaband's Avatar metallicaband 04:11 PM 07-09-2013
Like I said before, I too have no problem at all paying for PSN + and I might actually sign up for Both European and US PSN Plus subscriptions lol, but I don't only look at this selfishly to see how it will affect me personally, putting online MP behind a paywall is wrong, period.
benjamin-benjami's Avatar benjamin-benjami 04:47 PM 07-09-2013
If i was sony, i would do a package deal where if you buy PS4 the first year of PSN+ is only 20 dollars. That way you gain market share and it lessens the entry to PS4, also it will help all the people that are still having to pay for Gold (due to prepayment) and make the jump easier..
PENDRAG0ON's Avatar PENDRAG0ON 05:03 PM 07-09-2013
A minimum of 6 months needs to come with every PS4 for the first year it is on the market. If they keep delivering fantastic sales and the Instant Game Collection for Single player portions of games (like Battlefield, and Killzone) and indie titles and people will want to keep Plus going just for the extras, but only if Sony keeps Plus as good as it is on PS3.
benjamin-benjami's Avatar benjamin-benjami 09:57 PM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

A minimum of 6 months needs to come with every PS4 for the first year it is on the market. If they keep delivering fantastic sales and the Instant Game Collection for Single player portions of games (like Battlefield, and Killzone) and indie titles and people will want to keep Plus going just for the extras, but only if Sony keeps Plus as good as it is on PS3.

agreed..
1 2 

Up
Mobile  Desktop