PS3 No Centre Channel Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I play games on my PS3, me centre speaker does not play sound unless I set my receiver to "Music 5.1", which isn't optimal as it then plays all sounds from all 5 speakers.

The odd thing is that sound plays from he centre speaker in cutscenes. For instance, I'm playing The Last of Us, and there is no centre sound in gameplay. When a pre-rendered video starts playing, there is sound from the centre speaker.

Blu-rays also play from the centre speaker through the PS3, only gameplay is effected. Without the centre channel the audio sounds terrible and I can't stand it. As soon as I select Music 5.1, it sounds great, except it is coming from all 5 channels.

There are a lot of results on Google for this, yet I can't find an actual solution. Anyone have any ideas?

Receiver: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v373_black_u/
TV: http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UA55ES8000MXRD-spec

PS3 and speakers plugged into Receiver (HDMI), receiver plugged into TV using HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 07:10 AM

Liked: 832
This might help: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434235/does-the-ps3-have-inherently-horrible-center-channel-audio-or-is-there-a-setting-im-missing

TL;DR: Nothing is wrong, because games use 3D positional audio. Center is not used outside of cutscenes, because it would ruin the effect.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
But it sounds absolutely terrible. I know it used to sound much better than this. It sounds like I'm listening to it through a $10 pair of 2.1 speakers. It is muddy and low-quality and incredibly ******. When I force it to play through all 5 speakers it sounds so much better, it is night and day.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
What audio output options do you have setup on the PS3, it should autodetect all the correct settings, such as

If that is correct, I would suggest your speaker placement/room setup is not correct or you have poor quality mains/surrounds compared to your center speaker. What speakers do you have hooked up to your system?

Fortunately you are on the right site to get all the information and some of the best on the internet you need so head over audio theory, setup and chat subforum.

What TyrantII says about 3D positional audio is absolutely correct.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
If you go into TLOU's options, and set your center to "large", it should mix into the center.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page