Troubleshooting Lag / Latency issues on Consoles? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
So, like the topic says, I'm at my wits end.  No matter what game, I or others around me on PSN are lagging like crazy 90% of the time from my point of view.  

It's getting so bad, I'm finding myself totally frustrated with all MP console gaming, and ready to just give up.  I don't have these issues on PC games, but there I do realize I'm able to filter the people I play with, and the servers I connect to.  Still, it shouldn't be this bad nor getting worse, should it? It's not one or two random players, but entire servers getting the leg up on me and making my experience miserable. I'm just trying to figure out the cause, and anything to help alleviate the issues and would appreciate some help. Anyone else have similar issues?

The latest is TLOU where sometimes it appears others have a full 1-2 second lag that allows them to move out of harms way and causes me to fire (visually) where they are/were from my time delayed perspective; but in truth they've staffed far outside of my fire.  When in spectator mode you can hilariously see it going on to others as well (well from my POV, maybe it's me again).  They'll go right, are start aiming/shooting to the right at what they think they see the enemy, but the enemy appears to go left instead.  It leads to a hilarious dance where one player is firing at nothing as the other dances directly away from where he's pointing to fire.

My connection is Comcast (comcrap?) standard digital internet, which is believe is ~25/5MBs.  My PS3 is set up as a wired connection to a hard IP address on my router, bypassing the routers DHCP.  All ports I could find that are relevant to PS3 are opened for the IP, as well as DMZ set.  DNS is set to google public (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4).

The PS3 network options test shows NAT Type 2, and speeds of 22/2.5MBs.  PSN check is success, along with all other network connections.  

Internet Speedtest.Net results from my laptop:
Boston

San Diego

PR

Brazil

England

France

Japan:

Motorola cable modem seems to be within tolerances:
DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables
Downstream 1 48 705.00 MHz -7.24 dBmV 37.36 dB 256QAM 7836756267 2576 0
Downstream 2 45 687.00 MHz -7.54 dBmV 36.39 dB 256QAM 7476139370 3848 0
Downstream 3 46 693.00 MHz -7.53 dBmV 36.84 dB 256QAM 7505800030 3538 0
Downstream 4 47 699.00 MHz -7.37 dBmV 36.84 dB 256QAM 7482411619 3382 653

UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 2 36.50 MHz 44.25 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM
Upstream 4 1 30.10 MHz 44.25 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM

Am I missing anything?  Is there anything I can do?  Is this Comcast possibly filtering PSN / P2P game data, or is it just the unfortunate reality of worldwide console MP gaming?  I have noticed it getting worse over time, and back when KZ2 was around it wasn't nearly as bad (a bad round now and then, but not every game).  Which makes me wonder if the issue is just foreign countries (or 3G/4G kids) logging into and playing on the US PSN.  Still, my speed tests seem to show pretty good connectivity and latency to everywhere but Brazil.

Unfortunately, I'm in a one provider situation. I'm no fan of Comcast, but there's no other choice for real broadband atm, besides going with DSL. But I'm unsure on how to troubleshoot which side the problem is on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I don't know how Comcast treats game traffic. I know they were caught filtering bit torrent so anything's possible. Do you torrent at all?
post #3 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I've used it for legitimate means before, but not for a while. I've also been under two different subscribers since the earlier days of PSN, and it's progressively gotten worse over time. So if they were specifically doing something to my account alone, it shouldn't have followed me from the account that was under a prior roomates name.

If it's PSN / users from different regions causing the issue, I'm wondering if I'll notice an improvement on PS4 that will likewise evaporate over time. Games with dedicated servers seem better, but are still problematic. P2P games are mostly worthless to try to enjoy at this point.

I did laugh the other day when finding a BF3 server with the rule" No Brazilians, speak English". My speed test above seems to be why. Surely my issues are not just down to Brazilians in all my game instances?
post #4 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Was this suddenly a problem? I have Comcast and I bought my own modem. Found out last month that my modem was no longer on the supported list- mine was two years old. I had been noticing my PS3 online performance dropping as well, so I bought a new modem on the approved list and it did the trick for me. I would also talk to one of their tech guys and see if anything changes afterward, even if they say they can't do anything. In 2010 I called them with a problem similar to yours and, after they said they couldn't do much because it wasn't "their equipment", amazingly my service improved the next day.

My problem is I have a NAT type 3 and cannot get to 2 or 1. Is there an easy way?

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #5 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Help get me unbanned from the Xbox One thread, and I will help you here... lol

First and foremost, bypass your router and go straight from your modem to the PS3 to eliminate the router from the equation. If no difference, then I fear you will need to get a new modem that is DOCSIS 3.0 compliant. I recall reading somewhere that DOCSIS 2.0 modems are best for 10 MB/s and slower connections. Anyything over 10 with Comcast really needs a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Now go get me unbanned.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Guy View Post

Now go get me unbanned.

Would If I could, but you might have me confused with someone with power on these forums. Have you tried sending chocolates and flowers to Kyser and Don?
post #7 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Was this suddenly a problem? I have Comcast and I bought my own modem. Found out last month that my modem was no longer on the supported list- mine was two years old. I had been noticing my PS3 online performance dropping as well, so I bought a new modem on the approved list and it did the trick for me. I would also talk to one of their tech guys and see if anything changes afterward, even if they say they can't do anything. In 2010 I called them with a problem similar to yours and, after they said they couldn't do much because it wasn't "their equipment", amazingly my service improved the next day.

Not sudden. MP was fine back 06-10. Started noticing slight issues in 2010 with BFBC2. KZ3 (2011) is where I really stared noticing lag to the point where it was effecting gameplay.

Since then it's be a slow slog of deterioration in just about everything. BF3 is pretty good when I'm on a really good server and mostly with friends and a few riftraft, but more often than not it's feet planted in the stand, 1-2 bullets to kill me by those lvl 100 DB's.

Uncharted 2 MP was the start of infuriating issues, and TLOU is even more so. Dark Souls was also pretty laggy, but the 1:1 nature (and awesomeness of the game_)seemed to help allow me to overlook obvious latency issues).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

My problem is I have a NAT type 3 and cannot get to 2 or 1. Is there an easy way?

Easiest way is set PS3 IP or Mac Address on your router (198.168.1.1) for DMZ, which should open all it's ports. Other method would be to look up the router and how to create a static IP and set the ports manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Guy View Post

First and foremost, bypass your router and go straight from your modem to the PS3 to eliminate the router from the equation. If no difference, then I fear you will need to get a new modem that is DOCSIS 3.0 compliant. I recall reading somewhere that DOCSIS 2.0 modems are best for 10 MB/s and slower connections. Anyything over 10 with Comcast really needs a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

I'm using a ARRIS TM702G (DOCSIS 3.0 EMTA modem with two lines for VoIP). I'll give the straight through another chance this weekend, but back a few years trying it didn't really help. Tried Comcast multiple times, but it always ends with "equipment working fine, not our end, not our problem". The fact that they're really my only option is the reason I haven't booted them long ago.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-24-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Do me a favor and run the test at their sister site, Pingtest.net. Dload/Upload look fine at Speedtest (only use the Boston server since it is closer to you), but we need to check out the quality of your online activity. At Pingtest, you can determine your
- Ping (time it takes to move packets; lower is better),
- Jitter (the variance between your highest and lowest Ping numbers; lower is better), and
- Packet Loss (percent of packets transferred that didn't make it; should always be 0% or you have issues).

Here are my results with AT&T U-Verse:

When I was with Charter Cable, I had similar problems as yours for almost a year. My ping would approach 100 on bad days, my Jitter would be as high as 30 or more, and I would occasionally have Packet Loss. I had Charter come out many times, and they could never permanently solve it so I dropped them and signed up with AT&T.

I have had nothing but perfection with my online games ever since. With PC games, I usually have the lowest ping (other than the host) on local servers. I think Charter was over loaded with customers in my area and didn't want to admit it. If you are fed up, try a trial run with any another company, even if the dload speeds are less - line quality is more important. I kept Charter until I confirmed AT&T was eons better even though my dload and upload speeds are less now.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #9 of 21 Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Do me a favor and run the test at their sister site, Pingtest.net. Dload/Upload look fine at Speedtest (only use the Boston server since it is closer to you), but we need to check out the quality of your online activity. At Pingtest, you can determine your
- Ping (time it takes to move packets; lower is better),
- Jitter (the variance between your highest and lowest Ping numbers; lower is better), and
- Packet Loss (percent of packets transferred that didn't make it; should always be 0% or you have issues).

Tried it tonight, and it looks like NY is the closest ping.net server:

CA:

Ireland:

Brazil:

All seems to check out pretty good, and it's about what I see on PC games. But the question remains if PSN/P2P gaming is somehow being treated differently, or if it really is others / PSN. This is going through my router on my laptop. I can't check pingtest.net on the PS3 browser (java based), but the speedtest check out as similar.

To give you an idea of how bad it is when it's bad, here's a video that shows what Twisted Metal was like for me 9 times out of 10. Others that I've played with regularly have said they do get lag, but anything approaching this is something like 5% of all their games ever.

post #10 of 21 Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 464
When is the last time Comcast come out to check your connection. Also, any two way or 3 way switches connected in the room with the modem?

The 5.0 is here
post #11 of 21 Old 07-24-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Pinging 50ms to your own city with that kind of bandwidth is pretty bad. The fact that you're pinging even faster to NY....that's just bizarre.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the problem is entirely on your ISP's end. With a local monopoly, they probably don't give a damn either.

What router are you using? Is your wifi secured?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #12 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

When is the last time Comcast come out to check your connection. Also, any two way or 3 way switches connected in the room with the modem?

Been a while. They did come out to run a new wire to the apartment last year after I had some DVR/On Demand issues and said it was water in the line. Fixed it and they went away, but they didn't find any issues on this end when I brought up the latency in gaming. But these lag issues have been around before and after that, and now at two different apartments (On top of PC gaming being fine). So I’m pretty sure it’s not something happening at the apartment , or with the router setup. VOIP Modem > Router > consoles is pretty much the setup, nothing fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Pinging 50ms to your own city with that kind of bandwidth is pretty bad. The fact that you're pinging even faster to NY....that's just bizarre.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the problem is entirely on your ISP's end. With a local monopoly, they probably don't give a damn either.

What router are you using? Is your wifi secured?

I'm actually outside of Worcester (~50 miles to Boston) ATM. Last apartment was in South Boston. Issues have followed me, and gotten worse over time at two separate places (again, but not with PC games). So that why I’m wondering about possible filtering on the ISP end. Is there any way to check that?

I believe the router is a Linksys WRT54G, and it’s secure.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I doubt it's filtering specifically your PS3, but there's no way to check that I know of.

See if you can find a speed test site that's compatible with the ps3's browser, and then compare it to the laptop.

post #14 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

I did, and the results are similar to the above. But I did notice my IP is the same as my ISP IP, so I don't think it's being router through PSN at all.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I did, and the results are similar to the above. But I did notice my IP is the same as my ISP IP, so I don't think it's being router through PSN at all.

Your IP wouldn't change based on the device you're using anyway, and the PS3 browser doesn't need to go through PSN. Even most functional game data isn't routed through PSN, it's directly to the game server/peers.

I think your ISP is simply not providing you a decent level of service.

post #16 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Been a while. They did come out to run a new wire to the apartment last year after I had some DVR/On Demand issues and said it was water in the line. Fixed it and they went away, but they didn't find any issues on this end when I brought up the latency in gaming. But these lag issues have been around before and after that, and now at two different apartments (On top of PC gaming being fine). So I’m pretty sure it’s not something happening at the apartment , or with the router setup. VOIP Modem > Router > consoles is pretty much the setup, nothing fancy.
I'm actually outside of Worcester (~50 miles to Boston) ATM. Last apartment was in South Boston. Issues have followed me, and gotten worse over time at two separate places (again, but not with PC games). So that why I’m wondering about possible filtering on the ISP end. Is there any way to check that?

I believe the router is a Linksys WRT54G, and it’s secure.

I was going to ask about the upstream. Comcast has certain levels that all customers should fall within. For the upstream it should be between 46 and 52. Anything lower or above those numbers is going to cause issues. But in order to see that the technician would have to come out and verify the lines from your modem to the tap. Being that it is an apartment the tap should be located on just your unit of apartments.

The 5.0 is here
post #17 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. It's 44.25 dBmV at the cable modem. Maybe another call is in line to see how it seems there.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm. It's 44.25 dBmV at the cable modem. Maybe another call is in line to see how it seems there.

Call it in. The should be checking all the lines from the tap to your modem to see where your loss is and when that dips below 46 and above 52 it brings in latency issues. A splitter can bump it right up.

The 5.0 is here
post #19 of 21 Old 07-27-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Booted up TLOU with the PS3 directly connected to the cable/VOIP model. Besides the PS3 "test connection" showing a crazy 34Mbs/7Mbs (xfinity boost?) when I ran it, no further improvement. 8-9/10, my latency bar is non-existent, and enemies are lagging like crazy and getting crazy kills.

post #20 of 21 Old 07-27-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Booted up TLOU with the PS3 directly connected to the cable/VOIP model. Besides the PS3 "test connection" showing a crazy 34Mbs/7Mbs (xfinity boost?) when I ran it, no further improvement. 8-9/10, my latency bar is non-existent, and enemies are lagging like crazy and getting crazy kills.

It could be that your modem is on the way out.

post #21 of 21 Old 07-30-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you schedule them to come out?

The 5.0 is here
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page