Favorite 5 RPGs for the PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 07-28-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 751
What are your favorite 5 RPG/JRPGs for the PS3? In the last months of the console cycle I like to poll folks and see if I missed something. This upcoming console cycle I am sitting out until next holiday and pick up cheap/older titles.

In no order (well, Ni no Kuni is pretty damn fine) mine are:
Ni no Kuni
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Valkyria Chronicles
FINAL FANTASY XIII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas

Also, Dragon's Crown looks very promising.

- Jer
post #3 of 65 Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas

Also, Dragon's Crown looks very promising.

- Jer

I just could never get into Fallout 3. I hated it and Oblivion. It wasn't for lack of trying I bought it like 3 times on various sales. The way it and Oblivion was kept me from even looking at Skyrim. I caught it on sale for 15 dollars on Steam just two weeks ago and it's actually really good compared to Fallout and Oblivion. I will say Amalur is more my style over those.

post #4 of 65 Old 07-28-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hmm, not a lot for me to choose from. My list is pretty much every RPG I've played this generation.

1) Skyrim
My favorite game ever. Which is kinda funny because I wasn't even that excited for it at first, I've always prefered the Fallout universe. I've already put a ridiculous number of hours into this and just now picked up the Legendary Edition to play the DLC.

2) Fallout: New Vegas
Very close between this and Fallout 3 but New Vegas just barely edges it out. Better writing, much better companions, and overall just more fun.

3) Fallout 3
It's a little more polished than New Vegas and the capital wasteland is better designed and more interesting. Sill it's lacking some of the charm and fun of New Vegas and the voice acting is pretty terrible (even for a Bethesda game).

4) Oblivion
It's been eclipsed by Bethesda's newer games but it was pretty amazing to me when I first played it. Seems bland and dated now.

5) Valkyria Chronicles
Is it cheating to include this? I'm out of true RPGs. Good old-fashioned turn based fun with a cheesy but likable storyline.

There haven't been any JRPGs that interested me much for the PS3. I'd probably like Ni No Kuni or Dragon's Dogma but haven't tried them yet. I did enjoy Demon's Souls for a while but never played it enough to really get into it.

Also still looking forward to the South Park RPG later this year.
post #5 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I only have 3 because I only played 3 this gen: ( just started Demon's Soul)
I used to like the Final Fantasy series but I find them cheasy and childish. I don't like the style anymore.

1. Skyrim
2. Fallout 3
3. Oblivion
post #6 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Dark Souls
Demons Souls

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3

Dark Souls and Demons Souls by far. Then Deus Ex as well if it counts.

I had ES:IV and tried to get into it a couple of times and couldn't. Hated the crappy combat system and the fact that the gates are all the same just slightly re-arranged.

I've tried a bunch of others. One that I want to play more of is Kingdom of Amular, the demo is pretty fun.
post #7 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

lol I played Mass Effect 2. I liked it but somehow I forgot to mention it.
It was ok for me but I liked the ones I listed better.
post #8 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 View Post

lol I played Mass Effect 2. I liked it but somehow I forgot to mention it.
It was ok for me but I liked the ones I listed better.

I kind of just put them on there to hit 5. Well I have Dark Kingdom and some Marvel Alliance game as well that probably count.
post #9 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Action RPGs have relatively recently become my favorite gaming genre. I thoroughly enjoyed the following (though I wish I had time for some of the other ones people are putting in their top 5):

Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Fallout 3
Borderlands 2
post #10 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Dark Souls
Demons Souls

Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3

Dark Souls and Demons Souls by far. Then Deus Ex as well if it counts.

I had ES:IV and tried to get into it a couple of times and couldn't. Hated the crappy combat system and the fact that the gates are all the same just slightly re-arranged.

I've tried a bunch of others. One that I want to play more of is Kingdom of Amular, the demo is pretty fun.
Amalur is really good.

post #11 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Amalur is really good.

I should be able to pick it up for fairly inexpensive. I think Fry's had it $20 a month ago but I hesitated.
post #12 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 122
Quote:
Amalur is really good.

I agree. It's a very underrated game. The fighting is very fun (which is what you do most of the time in an rpg) and the talent point distribution is very World of Warcraft-ish, but I don't care because that was probably the best game I've ever played. The purple bar super power thingy makes bosses cake, but it's still a fun utility.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are the best RPG's on this system, IMHO.

post #13 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I just could never get into Fallout 3. [...] I caught [ Skyrim ] on sale for 15 dollars on Steam just two weeks ago and it's actually really good compared to Fallout and Oblivion.
Yeah, I felt the opposite. Skyrim bored me to tears, but I liked both PS3 Fallout games quite a bit. The live shooting is too loose to be fun, but if you invest in the VATS system it almost takes on a turn-based vibe like the original isometric Fallout games, which is nice.

- Jer
post #14 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Yeah, I really dug Kingdoms as well.

They were the first (and only) that I've ever seen that had a "Junk Pile". What a great idea! Why don't all RPGs have that!??

I never did finish it though, gonna have to go back and finish that bad boy.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #15 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

1 - Skyrim (still going strong 125 hours in) Finished the main quest and working my way through other stuff. THEN onto the DLC. Love this game. I still often stop and stare and the environment. Just amazing. Could easily see myself doing 200 hours here.

2 - Mass Effect 2 - Love this game. Some of the best character development I've ever seen. (playing through ME3 now) I always thought the ME game would have worked out GREAT with a Star Trek license. You could be the Captain of your own Federation Starship! (shrug) It still works great as it is though.

3 - Dragon's Dogma - A nice surprise with a unique twist (pawns) that I've never seen. Not a GREAT storyline, but cool enough. Could have used a bit more open worldness and more variety of monsters. I swear if I ever made an RPG there would be DOZENS of different monster types! How hard can that be? Just open a freakin' Moster Manual and "borrow" liberally!!!

4 - Fallout 3. Awesome - the Giant Robot? Blew me away. Great atmosphere that is just what I imagined post-apocalyptic should look like. Great flavor too, with the artwork, radio broadcasts, etc. It too, suffered from not enough monster variety though.

TIE:

5 - Ni No Kuni. Don't know if I've played a game that had as much charm as that. REALLY, really like this game.
5 - Kingdoms of Amalur. I wish this was a bit more Open World too, and of course I wish it had more monsters variety, but it's still a great game. (I have to finish this one!)

post #16 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys made want to restart Skyrim again.
Theres no other game I'm interested right now apart Beyond Two Soul and Fifa14.
post #17 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The responses are leaning heavy to western style RPGs. Ni no Kuni is really good if you have any interest in RPGs.

post #18 of 65 Old 07-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
FFXIII
FFXIII-2
Oblivion
Borderlands (4 player Co-Op + voice chat with your friends = awesomeness lol)

I don't care what "hardcore" FF fans think, I really liked those games despite the criticism and they were worthy of the FF title to me. I didn't like Skyrim much, maybe it's because I put 200+ hours into Oblivion and didn't feel like going for fetch quest after another anymore.

The Souls games will definitely be up there once I play 'em, they just scream everything I like in an RPG but I spend so much time on some titles I didn't get to play them yet.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #19 of 65 Old 07-30-2013, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Dark Souls and Demons Souls...that's all

The Weekend Warriors
post #20 of 65 Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mass Effect 2 and 3.

Deus Ex: HR. Awesome game, but I'm waiting for the retooled version that allows you to defeat bosses without shooting them.

FF XIII was pure rubbish in my opinion. Shockingly bad in every regard, other than graphics of course.

I think Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game that would be enjoyed by a lot of RPG fans. It was a hell of a lot more fun than Skyrim, and way less tedious.

Valkyria Chronicles is a lot of fun, shame the PS3 never got a sequel.

The only game out of the above that I'd consider a pure RPG is FF XIII. This generation was rather disappointing as far as RPGs go, in my opinion. It seems like crossing the genre with shooters is the only they sell these days, at least in the US.
post #21 of 65 Old 07-30-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setguillaume View Post

Mass Effect 2 and 3.

Deus Ex: HR. Awesome game, but I'm waiting for the retooled version that allows you to defeat bosses without shooting them.

FF XIII was pure rubbish in my opinion. Shockingly bad in every regard, other than graphics of course.

I think Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game that would be enjoyed by a lot of RPG fans. It was a hell of a lot more fun than Skyrim, and way less tedious.

Valkyria Chronicles is a lot of fun, shame the PS3 never got a sequel.

The only game out of the above that I'd consider a pure RPG is FF XIII. This generation was rather disappointing as far as RPGs go, in my opinion. It seems like crossing the genre with shooters is the only they sell these days, at least in the US.

Crossing them with shooters has almost done them in IMHO. I wouldn't say this gen was disappointing. Several very good traditional ones are out there.

post #22 of 65 Old 07-30-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Fallout 3
Demons Souls and Dark Souls
Deus Ex
Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2
Borderlands

Over 5:

Persona 4 Golden (it's on the Vita, but I had to include it)
Ni No Kuni (I would have put it in the top 5 if the post-game hadn't been so tedious and taken more than 50% of the total game time)
RDR
Borderlands 2 (this could have been so much better)
Skyrim

Fallout NV didn't make the cut because it was a nearly unplayable mess. It was an absolute chore to complete. Perhaps a patch has fixed the issues, but I played it at release. In fact, I almost wanted to put Skyrim in this category for the same reason, but it wasn't as bad as FNV.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #23 of 65 Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Crossing them with shooters has almost done them in IMHO. I wouldn't say this gen was disappointing. Several very good traditional ones are out there.

Hmmm, well, my personal idea of a well-executed RPG with some extremely progressive and personally satisfying gameplay mechanics is FF XII. I friggen love this game. Is there anything comparable to it?
post #24 of 65 Old 07-30-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
1: tales of graces f. excellent game in all categories except story (which i would consider merely average but the game makes up for it with excellent characters. one of the best casts i've ever seen in an rpg with excellent vioce acting by jrpg standards)

2: dragon age origins. i normally dont go for wrpgs. compared to the excellent jrpgs of yore, i find wrpgs to be bland, pedestrian and unimaginative. this includes the elder scrolls series and any other fps trying to pass itself off as an rpg. dragon age has made me re-examine the genre. it has interesting, party based gameplay and an excellent narrative that tells a solid and intersting story. i want to see more wrpgs like this and a lot fewer like skyrim. i look forward to seeing how the witcher 3 turns out.

3: star ocean: the last hope. i know this game gets a lot of hate and i understand why. a lackluster story and poor voice acting on the part of some of the VA's and relatively cookie cutter characters holds this game back from greatness. however, despite these flaws, i found the gameplay to be engaging. that tried and true star ocean combat system was fun to play and the item creation deep and interesting with a butt ton of stuff to find and create. i hope that if they do another star ocean game that they keep the excellent gameplay but improve their storytelling dramatically. if they can accomplish that, they should have a hit on their hands.

4: cross edge. a niche tittle. its not for everyone but it includes an absolutely huge cast of characters and is a ton of fun if you know the games the characters hail from (i was familiar with the ar tonelico, atelier, mana khemia, disgaea and darksiders games) and it uses the quirky but interesting combat system from the argarest war series (which i have yet to play but want to) so thats a win-win. the only downside is the graphics, but being used to old school jrpgs it was no problem for me.

5:ff13. lots of hate but l liked the characters, graphics and combat system. i felt the story was interesting, but the lack of a strong villain hurt it immensely. also the lack of exploration and extras made the game feel empty and lifeless after a while. hopefully squenix will learn that content makes the jrpg. look at tales of, squenix for an example of what to do when it comes to density of content.

I'm lookinf forward to tales of xillia 1 and 2, tales of xymphonia chronicles and ff14.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #25 of 65 Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

The responses are leaning heavy to western style RPGs.
When I stopped to think about it I realized I've done a complete flip-flop this generation. With the PS1 and PS2 all I cared about were JRPGs and western style RPGs bored me to tears. Now it seems to be the exact opposite. I guess it's a combination of my love for Bethesda style games and my dislike for the more realistic direction JRPGs seem to be heading. I really miss the more whimsical style of games like FF VII and IX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

2: dragon age origins. i normally dont go for wrpgs. compared to the excellent jrpgs of yore, i find wrpgs to be bland, pedestrian and unimaginative. this includes the elder scrolls series and any other fps trying to pass itself off as an rpg. dragon age has made me re-examine the genre. it has interesting, party based gameplay and an excellent narrative that tells a solid and intersting story. i want to see more wrpgs like this and a lot fewer like skyrim. i look forward to seeing how the witcher 3 turns out.
As far as the main storyline goes I though Skyrim's was really well done and more interesting than Dragon Age. Where DA shines though is in the characters and their individual stories. That was miles beyond anything Bethesda has done in that area.
post #26 of 65 Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

5:ff13. lots of hate but l liked the characters, graphics and combat system. i felt the story was interesting, but the lack of a strong villain hurt it immensely. also the lack of exploration and extras made the game feel empty and lifeless after a while. hopefully squenix will learn that content makes the jrpg. look at tales of, squenix for an example of what to do when it comes to density of content.
Thank You!

I really feel a lot of people hate those games just because it's the "Cool" thing to do these days lol. FFXIII-2 has a great villain IMO, I really liked Caius, truly badass.

The story gets much more interesting IMO once you dig deeper into the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology, or whatever that thing is called lol. The lack of side quests was a huge let down though in FFXIII, farming those damn turtles for the ultimate weapons was one of the most boring things I've ever done in a video game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by setguillaume View Post

Hmmm, well, my personal idea of a well-executed RPG with some extremely progressive and personally satisfying gameplay mechanics is FF XII. I friggen love this game. Is there anything comparable to it?
FFXII was amazing except the story could have been a bit better IMO, the world, gameplay and music were some of the best in the series though. I don't know any game that plays like it to be honest, it's like an offline MMO. If only they'd consider releasing an HD version of the International Zodiac Job System version, I'd lose sleep for a month lol.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #27 of 65 Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh man - I have NO idea why I didn't put Red Dead Redemption on this list!!

Well, there, now I have!

Tied for 1 - Red Dead Redemption!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

1 - Skyrim (still going strong 125 hours in) Finished the main quest and working my way through other stuff. THEN onto the DLC. Love this game. I still often stop and stare and the environment. Just amazing. Could easily see myself doing 200 hours here.

2 - Mass Effect 2 - Love this game. Some of the best character development I've ever seen. (playing through ME3 now) I always thought the ME game would have worked out GREAT with a Star Trek license. You could be the Captain of your own Federation Starship! (shrug) It still works great as it is though.

3 - Dragon's Dogma - A nice surprise with a unique twist (pawns) that I've never seen. Not a GREAT storyline, but cool enough. Could have used a bit more open worldness and more variety of monsters. I swear if I ever made an RPG there would be DOZENS of different monster types! How hard can that be? Just open a freakin' Moster Manual and "borrow" liberally!!!

4 - Fallout 3. Awesome - the Giant Robot? Blew me away. Great atmosphere that is just what I imagined post-apocalyptic should look like. Great flavor too, with the artwork, radio broadcasts, etc. It too, suffered from not enough monster variety though.

TIE:

5 - Ni No Kuni. Don't know if I've played a game that had as much charm as that. REALLY, really like this game.
5 - Kingdoms of Amalur. I wish this was a bit more Open World too, and of course I wish it had more monsters variety, but it's still a great game. (I have to finish this one!)

post #28 of 65 Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Are really Red Dead Redemption and Deux Ex considered as RPGs?

If so, Red Dead Redemption is on my top list.
post #29 of 65 Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As a fan of RPG and JRPG I would count Red Dead but not GTA.

post #30 of 65 Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

And the sequel of RDR just got annouced, well hinted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/is-a-red-dead-redemption-sequel-coming
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version