Will 60 fps games reduce motion blur? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-28-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 2007 sony 1080p tv that is 60hz. When I play a game and I pan or move the camera around, the environment and textures blur until i stop. It is one thing I have always hated about the tv.

I recently tried a newer LED that had the auto motion plus feature. I normally don't like this feature for movies because it gives the soap opera effect. However, I turned it on for games and it drastically reduced the motion blurring when moving the camera around. The environment and textures maintained the same level of detail as if the camera was sitting still. I loved it.

my understanding is that it takes the 30fps games and doubles them to make them imitate 60fps.

My question is, since next gen games are shooting for native 60 fps, will it reduce the motion blur on my 60 hz tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
A few things....

Firstly, NEVER use frame gimmicks built into your HDTV when playing games. It will add a ton of lag, making them feel sluggish and poorly responsive.

Also, 60 fps does indeed look/feel smoother than 30 fps. And 120 fps (on a PC and monitor) look and feels better than 60 fps. While you can choose to only play games at 60 fps next gen, it won't be the standard and you will be missing out on some good titles. I doubt it will even be featured in half the retail games, tbqh.

The issue isn't a lack of power in the PS4. Games have been sporting 60 fps going back to the Atari 2600, so the hardware is never the problem. The reason why console software in the 3D age of gaming (mid '90s forward) has problems standardizing 60fps is because there are always new graphic candy effects, advanced visual techniques, improved AA and higher resolutions that developers choose to focus on instead of the higher frame rate. Something has to give to turn on all of those extras, and the frame rate often takes the brunt of the hit. Better graphics often sell games better than a higher frame rate unfortunately.

The day we can play games on a holograph-based console with ray-traced graphics that are indistinguishable from real life is when developers will finally standardize a minimum of 60 fps (maybe). Until then, as a console consumer you will have to make the choice yourself by only picking the games you can tolerate to play.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

A few things....

Firstly, NEVER use frame gimmicks built into your HDTV when playing games. It will add a ton of lag, making them feel sluggish and poorly responsive.

Also, 60 fps does indeed look/feel smoother than 30 fps. And 120 fps (on a PC and monitor) look and feels better than 60 fps. While you can choose to only play games at 60 fps next gen, it won't be the standard and you will be missing out on some good titles. I doubt it will even be featured in half the retail games, tbqh.

The issue isn't a lack of power in the PS4. Games have been sporting 60 fps going back to the Atari 2600, so the hardware is never the problem. The reason why console software in the 3D age of gaming (mid '90s forward) has problems standardizing 60fps is because there are always new graphic candy effects, advanced visual techniques, improved AA and higher resolutions that developers choose to focus on instead of the higher frame rate. Something has to give to turn on all of those extras, and the frame rate often takes the brunt of the hit. Better graphics often sell games better than a higher frame rate unfortunately.

The day we can play games on a holograph-based console with ray-traced graphics that are indistinguishable from real life is when developers will finally standardize a minimum of 60 fps (maybe). Until then, as a console consumer you will have to make the choice yourself by only picking the games you can tolerate to play.

Even though I agree 100% with you....you'd think the success of call of duty would have changed some perspectives.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #4 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Even though I agree 100% with you....you'd think the success of call of duty would have changed some perspectives.

They just tried copying all the horrible unique things about it, then failed when people said "this isn't COD".
post #5 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

They just tried copying all the horrible unique things about it, then failed when people said "this isn't COD".

One would hope the next step would be to copy all the great things about it, like the frame rate and the polish.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #6 of 8 Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I found the best way to get rid of motion blur was to kick my Samsung LCD to the curb and get a plasma TV (Panny in my case).

A 60fps game may feel smoother than a 30fps game, but it won't eliminate the motion blur. It's a problem with LCD, not the game. The 120/240hz TVs use that interpolation as a band aid for the problem, not a solution.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I found the best way to get rid of motion blur was to kick my Samsung LCD to the curb and get a plasma TV (Panny in my case).

A 60fps game may feel smoother than a 30fps game, but it won't eliminate the motion blur. It's a problem with LCD, not the game. The 120/240hz TVs use that interpolation as a band aid for the problem, not a solution.

This plus great Black levels! smile.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yes! After over a year of having the Panny 60ST50, I'm still blown away by how great the picture is.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page