Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 525
http://us.playstation.com/ps4/games/galak-z-ps4.html

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/08/06/the-final-frontier-exploring-galak-z-the-dimensional-s-roots-and-gameplay.aspx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
is that Starbuck?

smile.gif
post #3 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Haha, I was just prepping a new thread for this little gem. You might want to mention it's a PS4 game. It doesn't look to be coming out in the PS3 or Vita.
Quote:
While the trailer below features non-stop action, 17-Bit is building Galak-Z with tactical combat in mind. Enemy ships feature individual AI, allowing them to evade, use cover, and coordinate attacks with their fellow wingmen. Enemy AI is just one area in which 17-Bit is looking to evolve the classic top-down shooter into a next-gen worthy experience. This month's issue of Game Informer features an exclusive four-page look at Galak-Z, including new details about the combat, procedurally generated worlds, and our hands-on impressions of the gameplay.
I like the mix of old school game play with new concepts. A shoot em up with actual enemy A.I. and tactical action? Sounds great!
freemeat likes this.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #4 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I couldn't get the trailer to work and didn't see it on youtube.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Looks pretty awesome to me. Apparently it has what he terms "dungeon" areas ala the old Gradius type shooters make your way to the end and fight a boss, but overall the main area is a procedurally generated infinite space with generated environments and enemies. Wonder how you tie those things together.

Also love the thruster and vector system. Spaceships don't swoop! smile.gif
post #6 of 14 Old 08-10-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Game Informer details, summarized at NeoGAF
Quote:
  • Publisher: 17-Bit; Developer: 17-Bit
  • Open-world 2D space shooter
  • Visual style: 80's space anime
  • Campy commercial, cheesy theme song
  • Missions are introduced as episodes
  • Inspiration from Macross and Star Blazers, Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica
  • Story is about a war between mankind and the Imperials, an alien race. The player is one of the last remaining humans and has to fight, collect resources to repair the mother ship and travel around star systems
  • The resources are important for the economy and RPG elements of the game, providing new weapons, abilities and ships
  • The open-world levels are procedurally generated
  • Hand-designed planets provide more scripted missions
  • Akin to open-world games, some areas will be too dangerous for the player at first, allowing them to return later with more abilities and fire power
  • 17-Bit has interesting ideas for the DualShock 4's touchpad, plans to incorporate video sharing and weekly challenges
  • All of the action is physics based, meaning that inertia will be applied to both ships and objects
  • Using a high-end AI middleware called Cyntient
  • Third faction are the Space Pirates. Compared to the Flood or Covenant from Halo. Attack both the player and the Imperials
  • Ships feature recharging shields as well as health bars
  • All dialogue will be available in both English and Japanese
  • Left analog stick controls the direction, L2 and R2 apply rear and front thrusters, respectively. R1 adds boost to whichever thruster is currently depressed, and recharges over time
  • There may be a permadeath option for hardcore players
  • Choose loadouts before missions (i.e. stealthy gear, offensive gear, etc.)

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #7 of 14 Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM

Looks amazing!

post #8 of 14 Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks great, definitely going to buy this and Resogun. I don't care for the cartoon style of the guy but the actual game looks great. Would be cool to have the option have him removed from the bottom left of the screen.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-30-2013, 12:58 PM

I honestly didn't even notice him down there. Now I can't not.

Thanks!
post #10 of 14 Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I honestly didn't even notice him down there. Now I can't not.

Thanks!

He sits there and twitches! I can't not see him either.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-30-2013, 09:07 PM

post #12 of 14 Old 02-21-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://kotaku.com/developers-freak-out-might-make-a-robotech-style-shoot-1528147930
Quote:

If you've been keeping tabs on Galak-Z, then you know that the upcoming space combat game drinks deeply from the sweet well of 1980s era Japanese animation. When it was first conceived, Galak-Z was going to feature the same cat-and-mouse starfighter showdowns for everybody. But the game's vision of space combat has changed and it's going to mix things up every time you play.

If you think that sounds like Galak-Z is going rogue-like, then you'd be right. The upcoming PS4/PC title basically tries to be a playable anime, one where you're the hotshot pilot facing up against waves of alien dogfighters. As originally envisioned, the game was going to have all players face up against the same configurations of enemies. But then Jake Kazdal— creative lead/CEO of 17-Bit, the studio making the game—had a freak-out. "I got worried that we weren't building enough content," Kazdal said, while showing the game's progress at Kotaku's offices last week. (The 20 minutes of footage above—which comes from a PC build—shows playthroughs of two levels, one on normal and the other on a higher difficulty.) "I mean, I was playing the same levels for six months. That got me wondering about how we could keep things fresh," he continued. Things shifted dramatically a few months ago, when the team started re-structuring the game so that it would generate its experience procedurally. Ice planets, desert planets, water planets, this enemy group, that enemy group, giant space creatures, small swarms of space creatures… all of them are going to be spun around and combined at random each time a level loads. "You and a friend could be playing the same mission but with any entirely different set of challenges," Kazdal said. "I've been playing a lot of Binding of Isaac and Spelunky and that idea really appealed to me."

Galak-Z's weapons also are going to be approached differently now, too. Players will find blueprints for weapons during missions, which will show up in the shop satellite that's been added to the game. (You can see a rough version of the shop at the 3:30 mark.) And each weapon will have pros and cons for its set of upgrades, like a hotter laser that burns out faster.

Keeping with the cartoon-show-style presentation, Galak-Z's levels will be structured as episodes—don't worry, they won't be released episodically; everything comes all at once—that can run anywhere from 30-60 minutes, with five or six missions inside each. Mission names are going to be procedurally generated, too, with the game pulling out random words from a giant grab bag for results like "Quakes and Forever."

Kazdal says that 17-Bit are trying to build a future version of a space shooter. "It looks like a bullet-hell but it's not," he offered. "It's more about using the environment and trying to psych out the enemy AI." That AI will be using middleware by Cyntient to create patrol and combat behaviors for enemies, all inside an ecosystem brimming with lifeforms and factions that can and will fight each other. Reading the landscape is going to be a key to victory, too. Fighting enemies inside a cavernous asteroid? Use your machine gun fire to knock them into spikes. That lava pool on the left side of the screen? Shoot at it to pop off lethal bubbles that will damage whatever they hit.

So, yes, the anime-inspired space battles in Galak-Z are going to be different. Kazdal says that he knows that players want co-op and multiplayer and that 17-Bit is planning on figuring out that implementation. The game's scheduled for an August debut, coming out on PS4 first with a PC version following soon after that.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Galak-Z and Cyntient... do we really need punny names for everything?

Okay, seriously, this looks really interesting. Sounds like they have some serious feature creep, hope they can pull it together into a cohesive game and hit their target date.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-18-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page