PS1 Games on PS2 Resolution & Color - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
So I decided to finally play Final Fantasy Origins yesterday. At first it seemed like it wasn't something I was meant to do because of all the troubleshooting I had to go through in order to get a PS1 game to work.

The beginning problem: My Yamaha 667 AVR will not accept or pass through a 240p resolution to my TV, instead I get a green, 4:3 picture. Not green as in the picture is just tinted green, but green as in a 4:3 "full" picture test pattern. WTF!? I though my PS2 was decided it needed to be retired. I went out and bought a used PS2 only to find the same thing. That was when I knew it wasn't my PS2. Luckily that manager at the game store was kind enough to give me my money back, despite store policy (we were both having "One of those days," as he put it). I owned the console for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

So when I plugged the PS2 directly into the TV it displayed the picture fine. I guess Panasonic allows for 240p but not Yamaha. It's too bad because I like playing the music through all the speakers. But the picture looked so bad through the composite on my 50" PDP that I decided to play on on my 32" 720p LCD. The smaller screen is much kinder to the ancient resolution. I'm still considering bringing up my old (2003) CRT TV to play on and even putting my Wii on that TV too. I like having the big screen for games, but I've always found it just a little more tricky playing on a big screen than a smaller screen.

Anyway, in setting up my LCD for the PS2, I copied my white balance setting from the HDMI input to the component input (should be the same, assuming the PS2 puts out the same color as the BDP). Everything looked fine. Then I decided to compare the composite input to component input. Obviously the component has a better picture, but I was surprised that the saturation of the composite was higher than the component. The colors were more vivid, why would this be? And just our of curiosity, are all PS1 games 320x240 or 240p?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-10-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Most common was 240p but they ranged all the way from 256×224 to 640×480.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, that's crazy. I'm glad I got it working well on my LCD. I just wish it had better speakers. Final Fantasy sounds fine, but I ended up connecting my Zune to the audio inputs and it just sounds tinny compared to my regular set up. Thanks for the response.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

Wow, that's crazy. I'm glad I got it working well on my LCD. I just wish it had better speakers. Final Fantasy sounds fine, but I ended up connecting my Zune to the audio inputs and it just sounds tinny compared to my regular set up. Thanks for the response.

Running a PS2 on a modern flat panel really begs for a component style upgrade if you don't already have one. Pretty sure you can still pick one up online for a few dollars. I switched to one after I bought my first LCD screen in 2006, made a real difference over the standard composite. Probably won't help with the AVR pass through issue but should look/sound better.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #5 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

He might encounter new problems going that route. I'm unaware of how things stand today, but back in the middle portion of the previous decade many HDTV's didn't like low resolution signals like 240p being sent via their component input and wouldn't display a picture.

Was a common issue for those that tried playing Ico on their PS2 connected via component to their new HDTV's and forced many gamers to revert to composite for that game. And with original Playstation games, low resolutions will be the norm rather than the exception like Ico was for the PS2.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

He might encounter new problems going that route. I'm unaware of how things stand today, but back in the middle portion of the previous decade many HDTV's didn't like low resolution signals like 240p being sent via their component input and wouldn't display a picture.

Was a common issue for those that tried playing Ico on their PS2 connected via component to their new HDTV's and forced many gamers to revert to composite for that game. And with original Playstation games, low resolutions will be the norm rather than the exception like Ico was for the PS2.

Must vary by TV maker. I ran my PS2 with component for 2 years and didn't encounter a problem, even playing Ico. I never played any PS1 through that setup so could very well be a problem. If nothing else the majority of the PS2 collection will look better! Pain if he plays lots of PS1 though.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #7 of 11 Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it wasn't a universal problem with HDTV's. Only certain models would refuse to display a low resolution signal sent via the component input.

So it's just something to keep in mind. But component cables are cheap enough and the benefits significant enough where it's worth taking the chance on. But after rereading his post, I think it's a moot point anyways. He talks about comparing composite and component so apparently he already has PS2 component cables.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I solved those problems when I upgraded to a receiver that accepts composite, component, SVideo, etc., then upscales them all to match my TV's resolution, in this case 1080p. It does not improve the picture, but it ensures all my sources work, and I can run them all through just one HDMI to the TV.

FWIW, I still have my PS2, and I still have (and use) a LaserDisc player.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-12-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What receiver do you have? My RX-V667 sees the incoming 240p but won't send it, whether its composite or component. I don't have S-Video available. I get a R-0, G-255, B-0 4:3 "fullscreen" picture.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you considered using a PS1 emulator like epsxe?

http://www.epsxe.com/

This might provide a better experience because you can scale up the resolution and apply various filters to get a smoother look to the graphics. Just my 2 cents.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ran EPSXE to test my disc to make sure it played all right but it didn't seem to play well on my laptop. But I don't mind playing on my 32" LCD, it looks fine. The difference between composite and component wasn't that drastic, composite looked all right, but of course component looks better. Between the TV being 32" and 720p I think the picture is great. :-)
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page