Playing Audio CD's and DVD's on PS3 via HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-12-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I've been searching the forum for a related issue, but can't seem to find my exact problem. Found some similar, and even tried (and learned) some methods on some posts, but my problem still remains.

So, to sum it up: I hooked up my slim PS3 to my 5.1 receiver via HDMI, and then HDMI from receiver to HDTV.

My PS3 audio connection is set on auto, and is only sending out LPCM (all options, from 2ch to 7.1 ch, all freqs.). Even if my AV is only 5.1, it automatically selects 7.1 LPCM...

BD audio output is also set to LPCM. If, during playback, in video options, i switch to Bitstream, i get no audio, so I'm relying on the PS3 to do the decoding.

So, it all works swell, with surround, on games and blu-ray movies. I turn the camera 360º when playing an RPG and the guy that's talking to me can be heard first in front, then at the back, then in front again. I can hear the bullets from the movie Dark Knight on the chapter 20 (tunnel chase) do a 360º on me when they hit the van! Great! cool.gif

Problem is: when I play DVD's or Audio CD's, my sound has gaps! The sound plays, but every now and then, there's a 1-2 seconds of silence. confused.gif

And playing the same track over and over again, the sound gaps don't occur always on the same parts of the song.

If i try to connect the HDMI cable that's comming out of the PS3 directly to the TV, I get no gaps, so this tells me that the DVD/CD are fine (no scratches), the laser disc on the PS3 is also fine (someone on the forums told that the PS3 uses different lasers for BD, DVD and CD). I also tried swapping cables, but that didn't do any good either (and it doesn't make any sense, because as I said, BD and games are all playing correctly).

So, if the audio is getting decoded by the PS3, and sent over as LPCM, why the sound issues when playing DVD's or audio CD's?

Any suggestions? Better yet, any configuration options for the PS3, as I'm 99% sure it's the root of the problem.

Thanks in advance for at least reading this lengthy post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, seems like problem solved.

Today when I turned it on again, i got a "Format invalid" on my TV. Had to revert to default settings on my PS3 and it seems it was the 1080p that was causing the issue.

The image went on and off everytime i tried to test the 1080p (before saving the settings, you can test by pressing square).

So, now i only selected 1080i and voila: the Cd's play correctly! no gaps, full sound!

Just thought someone else might have the same problem, so here's my solution.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Tomb Raider Ps3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page