Sony and Viacom sitting in a tree... cable channel streaming on PS devices and beyond - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Interesting Wall Street Journal article:

Quote:
Sony Corp. has reached a preliminary agreement with Viacom Inc. to carry the media company's cable channels on its planned Internet-based TV service, a person familiar with the matter said, a significant boost for the Japanese company as it races to secure content rights against technology firms vying to offer similar services.

Sony plans to stream traditional cable channels, as well as on-demand content, over the Internet, posing new competition for cable, satellite and phone companies which have long sold subscription TV services.

Sony must still finalize details of its preliminary deal with Viacom, the person says. Sony also has had discussions with major programmers including Walt Disney Co. Time Warner Inc. CBS Corp., people familiar with the situation say. The status of those talks isn't clear.

A person familiar with the matter said Sony is hoping to launch its online pay TV service by the end of the year. Initially, at least, the service is expected to be available via Sony's PlayStation gaming console - a new edition of which could be released soon - as well as "Bravia" high-definition TVs, but later will also work on other Sony devices including tablets and smartphones, the person said.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
a la cart can't come soon enough. I got 99 problems and they're all cable channels I dont watch and pay for.

Any word on HBO GO?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The day a la carte makes its way to my cable box will be a day of celebration.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Back in the days of the big dish, their was an a la carte service (can't remember the name), but it was so expensive per channel that if you wanted more than 4 or 5 channels you might as well just purchase a full service.

I don't see a la carte ever being viable, but man it would be nice.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I could already get almost everything I need from Netflix and Hulu+. I don't even mind being a season behind the rest of the world on scripted shows. But sports is the only thing that keeps me from cutting the cable. Unless Sony could deliver Fox, ESPN, CBS, ABC, NBC, TNT, TBS, and their various sub-channels that feature more local sports, I can't see it ever replacing my cable TV.

Fortunately, my cable company is feeling the heat (from cell phone companies as well). The last few times I've inquired about adjusting my services to save a few bucks, they've offered me a promotional discount. This last time, in April, they offered to drop $50 off my $180/mo bill (TV, Internet, phone) for 12 months. And it wasn't like I was complaining or even threatening to drop anything major. I was just looking to drop a digital movie package I never watched. I still dropped the package. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The only reason I still subscribe to cable is because I have to watch my Lakers and Dodgers. If it weren't for live sports, I would have dumped it years ago.

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page