Dying Light (12 minute gameplay video) - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Brad
post #1 of 14 Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 618
12 minutes of gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2TSCZqcjR0&feature=youtu.be

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/games/dying-light-ps4.html

Game Details

Dying Light

Dying Light is a first-person, action survival horror game set in a vast and dangerous open world. During the day, players traverse an expansive urban environment overrun by a vicious outbreak, scavenging the world for supplies and crafting weapons to defend against the growing infected population. At night, the hunter becomes the hunted, as the infected become aggressive and more dangerous. Most frightening are the predators which only appear after sundown. Players must use everything in their power to survive until the morning’s first light.

Good Night. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
post #3 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't handle that FPS camera work.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Unfortunately, it looks like it controls about as well as Dead Island. Which, for those that don't know, controlled like absolute crap. Considering this is from the same company, I wouldn't get my hopes up. It does look really nice, though. Any word on co-op? That's the only thing that made Dead Island playable for me.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #5 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I enjoyed Dead island, for the $5 or $10 I paid. This looks amazing, if you can put aside the truly hideous video quality.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #6 of 14 Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
post #7 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The more I see of this game, the more I'm reminded of Dead Island, which is ruining the hype for me. I want to give it a chance, but Techland isn't known for their quality.

post #8 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

The more I see of this game, the more I'm reminded of Dead Island, which is ruining the hype for me. I want to give it a chance, but Techland isn't known for their quality.

Had my friend on the opposite coast pickup Dead Island when it went cheap, we played it co-op but never finished it. Game itself ran okay, but the design, pace, and difficulty were awful. When you have the best weapon you can get for the level you're working on, only to find it's not enough against what the game is throwing at you, there is a problem. Add to that having to re-trace your steps over and over in the same area and it just got tedious. A shame because it started out very cool.

I have concerns like yours. Techland already made the same game twice, and this looks like it might be the same game a third time. I will watch the reviews closely when this comes out.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #9 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

As much as I disliked the game, I ended up playing it with my friends a lot because they refused to play much of anything else. I don't in difficult games, but the design itself of Dead Island didn't do it any favors (as you said, backtracking sucks). This is looking like a rental.

post #10 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #11 of 14 Old Today, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post
I can't handle that FPS camera work.
So I ended up buying this game due to a nice little Gamestop error for $20. I think Brad and I are the only people playing.

I am happy that the camera work is only annoying in some of the cut scenes.

Big Brad and I played some co-op last night and it is pretty nice that you can do the campaign missions as well. Pretty entertaining so far.

So far it isn't very threatening during the day but the atmosphere is still cool. We aren't much beyond past the tutorial type levels. It has a nice skill tree and we have already unlocked some fun moves to use.

edit: I almost forgot about the traversing. It is done much better than I expected, easy to get around. Part of why the day time doesn't feel that threatening is it is so easy to get around, jumping from roof to roof, grabbing ledges and climbing.

Last edited by freemeat; Today at 10:37 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old Today, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I've been playing this game for the last 2 days and really enjoying it. Techland improved upon what they had with Dead Island, polished it up and added Parkour gameplay and a gorgeous open city to run around and explore. Seriously, the graphics are awesome and very well done for a "B Game". That's what this game reminds me of, a B zombie move from the 80's. I'm even diggin the 80's synthesizer music!

Essentially it devolves into a "fetch quest" where you're running errands for others and bashing zombies heads in and hunting for loot. To me, this is fun and all I expected. You won't get character backgrounds or a compelling, well written story, but that's not what this game is about. It's about hunting for loot and leveling up so you can continue to bash zombies heads in.

Looking forward to trying some co-op also as I used to have a blast in Dead Island co-op so this should be even better.

Also, I hear the FP controls get better and easier as you level up your skill chains.

Sony HW40es Projector / 106" Silver Ticket screen
Sony 70" W830B LED TV
PS4 GT: Ringo619
Xbox One GT: JonnyRingo619
post #13 of 14 Old Today, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, the music is great.

It is kind of like Far Cry in structure of unlocking safe zones (aka towers) and things like that. It has the sonar ping to find stuff like Dragon Age as well.

I did upgrade on stat to make climbing faster. I think I'm level 4/5 so far and it looks like there are quite a few upgrades similar to Far Cry.

I can see some FPS game coming out in the future with this style of traversing.

Last edited by freemeat; Today at 03:44 PM.
post #14 of 14 Unread Today, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

For those that got in on the Season Pass Gamestop glitch (from what it looks like, me and Freemeat haha), make sure to check your PSN account. Sony just sent me a voucher for the season pass. So a new game AND a season pass for $20. Props to WB and Sony for going about it this way. I'm sure they could've easily deactivated the main game and added a key for the season pass, but they didn't.
freemeat likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page