HDTV vs Monitor for PS3/Xbox Gaming for 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys...so I decided to start a new thread since most threads regarding this topic has been silent for the last couple years. I do apologize if there are any duplicates but here goes. I am in the market for a new gaming 27 or 30 inch Monitor or 32 inch HDTV 1080p. I have been doing quite of bit of research and thus far the reached a couple conclusions but not enough information to make a purchase for a more current line of HDTVs. Plenty of info on Monitors though regarding input lag and response time. So I will be connecting a PS3 and eventually be connecting a PS4 or Xbox One when it is released. I play mostly FPS like Call of Duty and I want good picture quality, low input lag, and low response time for competitive gaming. I also will be watching some blu-ray movies time to time. But my first priority is gaming. I understand most monitors today that are 27 inches or larger offer 1440p resolution and know I cannot take advantage of the resolution with my PS3 and in some cases I have heard people who had issues with bad picture quality by connecting a PS3 to a 1440p monitor. One advantage of a monitor is most seem to have a lower input lag and lower response time when compared to HDTVs. However, I will not be using any of the key features a 1440p monitor will offer and will be a waste of extra money spent. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I am leaning towards a HDTV with low input lag and low response time. That is where the challange begins. Most HDTVs do not offer specs on input lag and response time. Most HDTVs people have talked about in the past forums are older tvs that are obsolete. I am looking for 2013 models HDTVs input lag and response time. Any input here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 587
I'd go up to a 42" (bigger is better biggrin.gif)1080p Plasma instead unless you have bad lighting issues then you can get an LCD.
don480 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

I currently own a 60 inch Panasonic plasma that I am happy with but imo its too big for fps gaming. Thats why I am looking for a 27, 30, or 32 inch screen. I have a 22 inch asus that has been working well buy I feel its a tad too small. But cannot decide between monitor or hdtv. I am willing to spend up to 1k but if I can save money and get that best performance that even better. I want best pic like ips monitor or 1080p hdtv with low input lag and low response time. Any specific brand and models anyone can recommend? Again its going to be connected to a ps3 and eventually a ps4 or xbox one. Thx
post #4 of 8 Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
720p plasmas in the 42" range are cheap and plentiful. Pretty much all games are in 720p, so it isn't a downgrade. I just picked up a Samsung for our guest room for around $360. Smaller sizes are around too, but not much cheaper.
don480 likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I found a link where it provides a link to many popular monitors and hdtvs input lag. Pretty sweet. Ill post it soon. I just purchased a asus mx279 which is 1080p ips monitor with a super low input lag of I believe 9ms and response time of 5ms. Im excited. Purchased it from Amazon but haven't received it yet
post #6 of 8 Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I own a Sony KDL40EX720. It is connected using an HDMI and optical/usb for audio to a PS3. And, via HDMI to my PC.

3D is not my thing it turns out after spending $$$.

However, the TV is great and works seamlessly with my Sony PS3. My PC required a few adjustment to display settings and no problem.

It looked too big when I opened the box but after 2 years of sitting in front of it I like it. 40inch screen.

My PS3 and old graphics card are the weak link in my gaming as far as FPS or other benchmarks are concerned.

I will be getting a PS4 and a new graphics card soon and I expect my TV to be able to handle the workload.
don480 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I had the Panasonic VT Series 65 inch plasma which I ended up selling because I didn't real like the 3D feature on it. Some movies the dark scenes real really aweful and hard to see. Watching a whole movie 3D can make your eyes fatigue and gets you feeling a little dizzy. I just purchased a standard 65 inch Panasonic plasma which I am happy with but decided on I wanted a smaller tv or monitor for specifically gaming.

Here is a link of hdtv's and monitors input lag: not sure how reputable this site is but I have other quote this site and swears by it...

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
post #8 of 8 Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have an ST, it does 3D, but mine's never been used. Just because it has 3D doesn't mean you have to use it. The VT is a fabulous set, there are many more advantages to it over the S or U series, not just 3D.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Tomb Raider Ps3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page