PS3 Blu-Ray picture quality is poor while streaming and games are HD. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am hoping someone else has experienced this and can suggest a fix. I have a PS3 which I use primarily for streaming content and watching Blu-Ray movies. It is paired with an older (pre-HDMI) 1080i TV connected via component (RGB) cable. The picture resolution is HD quality when viewing streaming content and playing games. When I play Blu-Rays, however, the resolution is poor - like that of a standard DVD or worse. The Play and Pause symbols on the lower left corner of the screen are jagged as are the details in the picture. The really puzzling thing is that sometimes, during the previews on the Blu-Ray, the playback is in full HD. While this is happening, the resolution is the same or better than when I view streaming content and the Play symbol is sharp as you would expect. When the previews conclude, prior to the BD menu appearing, the screen flashes black and all playback is in lower resolution - again, like that of a standard DVD or worse. This is very frustrating. I've tested every Display setting I could on the PS3 settings and I've followed the "recommended" settings on several forums before posting this. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Blu-rays can only be played back in 1080p over hdmi due to HDCP copy protection.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

Blu-rays can only be played back in 1080p over hdmi due to HDCP copy protection.

Why would it be different during the previews? Wouldn't that impact all playback including the previews?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheatervideobasics/a/High-Definition-Via-Component-Video-Connections-Ends-January-1st-2011.htm

Blu-Ray players made in 2011 or later only support standard def over component cables. Earlier players can support up to 1080i over component, but individual discs may have the image constraint token turned on, which would cut the resolution to 1/4 (960x540) over component cables. This is all supposedly to curb piracy, though its most immediate impact is punishing paying customers who ought to be able to view the content they purchased legally at the maximum quality available to them.

Long term, your best option is to get an HDMI-capable TV. In the short term, you could look into getting an HDMI-to-component converter (Monoprice.com has a very cheap one, though I can't speak to how well it works), or if that doesn't work, you could consider an older Blu-Ray player and research which Blu-Rays have the image constraint token turned on so you could avoid them.

- Jer
Packfan1 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packfan1 View Post

Why would it be different during the previews? Wouldn't that impact all playback including the previews?

Some previews and additional content are in DVD format, from my experience.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Tomb Raider Ps3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page