Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 335 Old 08-25-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is an upcoming historical action-adventure open world video game being developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. It is the sixth major installment in the Assassin's Creed series, a sequel to 2012's Assassin's Creed III modern story and a prequel to its historical storyline. It is scheduled for an October 29, 2013 release in North America.

The game will feature three main cities; Havana, Kingston, and Nassau, which reside under Spanish, British and pirate influence, respectively. The game will also feature 50 other 'unique' locations to explore, with a 60/40 balance between land and naval exploration. Assassin's Creed IV will have a more open world feel, with missions similar to those found in Assassin's Creed, as well as fewer restrictions for the player. The world opens up sooner in the game, as opposed to Assassin's Creed III, which had very scripted missions and did not give players freedom to explore until the game was well into its first act. The player will encounter jungles, forts, ruins and small villages and the world is being built to allow players much more freedom, such as allowing players to engage, board, and capture passing ships and swimming to nearby beaches in a seamless fashion. In addition, the hunting system has been retained from Assassin's Creed III, allowing the player to hunt on land, and harpoon in the water.

A new aspect in the game is the ship the player will captain, Jackdaw. The Jackdaw will be upgradeable throughout the game, as well as having easy access to the ship when needed. In addition, a new underwater component is being added. The player will also have access to a spyglass, allowing the examination of distant ships, along with their cargo and strength. It can also help determine if an island still has animals to hunt, treasures to find or high points to reach for synchronization. An updated form of the recruit system introduced in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood will also return, allowing Edward to recruit crew members. While, Kenway's crew will remain loyal to him, and can be promoted to captain acquired ships, they cannot assist you in combat or perform long-range assassinations, as in previous games. Ubisoft removed this aspect of the brotherhood system, believing it allowed players to bypass tense and challenging scenarios too easily.

In the present day, at the Abstergo Entertainment — a subsidiary of Abstergo Industries — offices in Montreal, Quebec, players will engage in modern day pirating through the exploring of Abstergo's offices, eavesdropping and hacking, all without combat. As well, various "hacking" games, similar to previous cluster and glyph puzzles, will be present, that will uncover secrets about Abstergo.

Multiplayer has been confirmed to return, with new settings and game modes, though it will only be land-based.

The main character of the game will be Edward Kenway, a British privateer-turned-pirate and eventual member of the Assassin Order; father of Haytham Kenway, and grandfather of Ratonhnhaké:ton, the two playable characters of Assassin's Creed III. Real-life individuals that will be encountered include the pirates Edward "Blackbeard" Thatch, Benjamin Hornigold, Anne Bonny, Jack Rackham and Charles Vane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 335 Old 08-25-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Surprisingly I didn't see any Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag threads so I decided to make one for everyone. This game recently with the open world gameplay video has gained allot of my interest.
post #3 of 335 Old 08-25-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm so IN!

I remember playing AC3 (never did finish that) and thinking how awesome a Pirate game would be if it utilized the ship-to-ship battles of AC3.

I've already pre-ordered it, I can't wait!

SmokenAshes likes this.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #4 of 335 Old 08-25-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
In the present day, at the Abstergo Entertainment — a subsidiary of Abstergo Industries — offices in Montreal, Quebec, players will engage in modern day pirating through the exploring of Abstergo's offices, eavesdropping and hacking, all without combat. As well, various "hacking" games, similar to previous cluster and glyph puzzles, will be present, that will uncover secrets about Abstergo.
Ugh, so pointless. I really wish they'd leave this stuff out . Still I'll have to give it a chance when I get a PS4. The rest of it looks amazing.
post #5 of 335 Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, I'm loving it more and more.
post #6 of 335 Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I want to be excited about this, but I couldn't even finish AC3. I've played all of the others (except for the first) and have enjoyed each of them...including the AC game on the Vita. I don't know what it was about AC3...besides it being a messy little glich fest. Perhaps they've just churned out too many games too often following the same basic platform. The addition of what appears to be a real naval campaign may liven things up, but I think I'll wait until the price on this drops a bit.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #7 of 335 Old 08-27-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The recent videos look pretty neat, more of the AC gameplay we all know and love. AC3 did get pretty repetitive so hopefully Black Flag won't fall into that pothole.
post #8 of 335 Old 08-27-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What I really love about this is that its finally OPEN WORLD. If you noticed in the 2nd video I posted it shows the whole map and how FREAKING HUGE it is plus you can park your ship wherever you want and go wherever you want. Its definitely a nice change of pace in my opinion. I just hope the ending is better than AC3, which was probably the worst ending in a video game I have ever played.
post #9 of 335 Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
With the Assassin's Creed franchise about to make its fifth installment over the past five years, some people are starting to allege that they feel fatigue for this franchise and that Ubisoft needs to take a break. You all couldn't be more wrong about that because of what we've seen and heard from Ubisoft thus far.

Yes it may be a bit early to take a victory lap for Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, but Ubisoft has this game looking and feeling unlike any other previous installment. To tell us more about this next installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise, Jean Guesdon, who is the creative director of Black Flag, took the time to explain the game a bit further.

This time period in history is one that many fans have been clamoring for and was one that was very exciting to hear about when the Black Flag was announced earlier this year. Assassin's Creed games are known for the setting in history as well as the environments and cities they take place in.

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is taking gamers to a unique part of history and one that has intrigued so many different forms of media over the years. But why choose this time period and part of the world to set the game in?

"Back in 2011, when it was the time to start the 2013 project, we already had in our hands the first draft of AC3's naval experience and that was what convinced us that we really needed to do a pirate game.

"We realized that we had all what was needed to deliver a true, brutal, realistic pirate experience. We knew how to build cities of course, but also natural environments and the sea warfare. We were ready. And after doing some initial historical research we found out that the beginning of the 18th century in the Caribbean was indeed the perfect setting.

"In Black Flag you will meet and spend some time with the most incredible pirates of all time with Black Beard, Calico Jack Rackham, Charles Vane, Benjamin Hornigold and a lot more," Guesdon said.

Personally, one of the best aspects of the last two installments of the Ezio trilogy was how you could upgrade cities. This was something that was absent from Assassin's Creed III, unfortunately.

While we may not see that type of a feature in the series again, Ubisoft did confirm that it would be in a different form with Assassin's Creed 4.

"We designed Black Flag with humility trying to gather all the best of the previous installments, as long as the features would make sense in the current setting and would fit with our main hero Edward Kenway.

"Being a pirate was not really about creating an empire or investing in real estate, but Edward will develop his own hide-out, yes," Guesdon said.

Cities are of course one of the biggest attractions to any Assassin's Creed game, and it looks like Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag will not be straying away from that legacy.

Guesdon talked about how the cities will provide different challenges and play styles versus the others.

"When starting an AC game, we always make some in-depth historical researches.

"If you look at the setting, you will quickly enough realize that the most important cities in that part of the world were Havana, Cuba (the rich Spanish capital of the new world's colonies), Kingston, Jamaica (the center of British's presence in the West Indies) and Nassau, New Providence (small English town taken by the group of pirates that tried, back then, to create their own democratic society).

"The choice has been pretty easy to make in fact. And we had the opportunity to make three very different layouts based on real cities that, you're right, offer different type of gameplay opportunities.

"Havana is the 'rooftop city,' the more 'AC traditional' city, Kingston has some really interesting rooftop navigation too with really nice integration of the vegetation and the buildings but with some more natural areas composed of plantation.

"And Nassau is the 'far west town' where all the outlaws gather under the tropics," Guesdon said.

This colorful, new installment in the franchise will be bringing with it the extremely innovative and addicting multiplayer with a few new twists. Last year's installment saw the introduction of the "Wolf Pack mode," which was a terrific way to integrate team based, online multiplayer into the already successful mode itself.

This year, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag will be taking players back into this extremely entertaining world, but Ubisoft will be implementing a new level of customization with Games Lab.

"AC4: Black Flag's Multiplayer will feature the Games Lab
which will allow players, for the very first time, to participate in making their own experience in Assassin's Creed.

"They will be able to choose and design some rule sets that will provide their friends, and maybe the entire community, new variations of the Multiplayer experience.

"At first, we obviously dreamed of a Naval Multiplayer but sometimes you have to make tough decisions early enough to secure quality of the end product. And that's what we've done in that case, making sure to focus on the good things to ensure a high quality for the players in the end," Guesdon said.

While there may be some trepidation among hardcore fans of the series, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag really does look like it's a step up from the taste the previous installment left in our mouths.
post #10 of 335 Old 08-27-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't finish AC3 either. (It was my first time playing an AC game.) I just couldn't get around the fact that everytime I'd try and do a mission in a town, I'd get the Brits all over me, chasing me to high heaven.

How the *heck* do you avoid that?

post #11 of 335 Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

I didn't finish AC3 either. (It was my first time playing an AC game.) I just couldn't get around the fact that everytime I'd try and do a mission in a town, I'd get the Brits all over me, chasing me to high heaven.

How the *heck* do you avoid that?

Be vewy vewy quiet.
post #12 of 335 Old 08-27-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Did you guys also notice all these demos are from the PS4 build?

*EDIT*

Heck apparently all the videos that I'm finding on Youtube so far for this game are all PS4 versions.
post #13 of 335 Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Fun Fact: Assassin's Creed was originally offered to Sony as an exclusive before PS3 launched. Imagine if they ran with that instead of Lair (probably somebody at Sony still kicking themselves a little). Probably why Ubi and Sony are working so closely with the AC games to this day.

Black Flag is looking good but I won't be tempted until there is some feedback on how well it runs. There are so many titles coming out I can choose to avoid the problem games from the start this go round. Fingers crossed that they iron out a winner smile.gif

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #14 of 335 Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's not often that a developer will hand you the controller months before release with the words "you can go anywhere and do anything you'd like" but that's what happened when Director Ashraf Ismail gave us hands-on time at PAX Prime 2013. Opening the in-game map, you'd be forgiven for being overwhelmed by the sheer volume of objectives available. I could assault a templar fortress, dive underwater for treasure, or take an assassination contract, all within just a few seconds of sailing. I chose to mix land and sea gameplay by accepting the hit on a templar leader, but I was quickly impressed at Ubisoft's willingness to make concessions in service of the player's experience.

http://m.gamerevolution.com/preview/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/87419
post #15 of 335 Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #16 of 335 Old 09-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 832

Digging the tech behind it. Wonder if it'll all show up on PS4?

Edit: Apparently Ubi says this was pulled from the next gen version. Nice!

http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/10/assassins-creed-4-bridging-the-next-gen-divide/
Quote:
Streaming elements are also being utilised on the next consoles, and Browne notes the obvious performance improvements: current-gen SKUs will be 30FPS, while the Xbox One and PS4 versions will be 60FPS “at a much higher resolution”.

“Then we did upscaled, specific development for next-gen, so the character models are four times higher textures and polygons than the normal ones.
post #17 of 335 Old 09-12-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm having a joygasm every time I see a new video of this game.
post #18 of 335 Old 09-13-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 168
That vg247 article only mentions the multiplayer side of things. I'm hopeful the single player will run at 60fps.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #19 of 335 Old 09-14-2013, 07:38 AM

Liked: 13
I'm so conflicted over this game. I liked AC2 and Brotherhood quite a bit. AC1 I liked initially, but it got too repetitive to finish. And I just can't bring myself to to continue AC3, it just seems so dull. But the particle and foliage effects look fantastic in AC4...
post #20 of 335 Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Particle effects and foliage, a good game does not make.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #21 of 335 Old 09-14-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

Particle effects and foliage, a good game does not make.

Yoda, is that you?
post #22 of 335 Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 PM

First review is up/(leaked?) (although I tend to be very suspect of early reviews) so take it as you want!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700051

Found the cover (and whats missing) very interesting:

post #23 of 335 Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I was gonna wait for PS4, but having read (and watched) many reviews, I'm off to pick it up!

NowGamer – 8/10
Joystiq – 4/5
GamesRadar – 4.5/5
OXM – 9/10
CVG – 9/10
Kotaku – Yes
Eurogamer – 9/10
OPM – 8/10
Polygon – 7.5/10
Gamespot – 9/10
Shacknews – 8/10
Videogamer – 7/10
IGN – 9.5/10
Gamestar Hungary – 9.2/10
GamersNET – 8/10
GameInformer – 8.25/10

post #24 of 335 Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 AM

Liked: 13
Do any of the reviews indicate if it brought back the fun of AC2 or Brotherhood? (Vs the boredom of AC3)
post #25 of 335 Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 PM

Liked: 14
Looking forward to playing this on PS4. With Watch Dogs delayed, I decided on this and Killzone as my first two games.
post #26 of 335 Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
If this game gets really good reviews, I might spend some time with it. I always like having an action/adventure type game at launch. 3rd person type action. PS4 doesn't really have one of those besides Knack which skews a bit on the Disney side.
post #27 of 335 Old 10-30-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 88
If? The reviews already have me worked up to a rabid froth, and I've liked all the "bad" AC games (except for the PSP one.)
post #28 of 335 Old 10-31-2013, 04:18 PM

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-and-uplay-passport/
Quote:
Gamers currently without a Uplay Passport for Black Flag will be able to download one for free from Xbox Live or PlayStation Network. For those who have already purchased Uplay Passport for Black Flag, please contact your regional Ubisoft support.

What’s more, Uplay Passport will not be a part of any future Ubisoft games.
post #29 of 335 Old 10-31-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Nice! Although I would've bought the game regardless, this is great news for those who decided against a purchase due to the Uplay stuff.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #30 of 335 Old 10-31-2013, 04:39 PM

Yeah, plenty of people were really put off that SP content on disc would be locked away behind a online pass at launch. So really good news not just for them, but future Ubi titles as well such as The Division.

The walls fell.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Assassins Creed Iv Black Flag , Assassins Creed Iv Black Flag Limited Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page