AVS Forum banner

Which model ps3 do you recommend as first time buyer?

880 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  defdog99 
#1 ·
Hey folks .I plan on getting a ps3 at some point for the blu ray player as I hear its one of the best, but also for some casual gaming .I'm new to Sony so I'm not sure which model of the ps3 is the most stable or preferable by users . If anyone could provide some clarity or direction on the issue I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Jon

#2 ·
May as well go with the newest of the bunch. There are complaints if you go looking for every revision and some seem to prefer the original slims, but these seem to be doing fine for most so far and will be the easiest to locate new.

I believe this latest revision is also the quietest yet which is beneficial for video purposes. It also has a sliding disc door so you don't have to worry about losing a disc in the event of a console failure. That's bad enough if it's a game but very annoying if you're playing a disc from an expensive Blu-Ray or DVD box set and the console dies and won't eject your disc.

It's not as fancy though so some dislike it. And it could be problematic if you don't have much room above the console but if you leave it enough room to properly circulate air for cooling, you shouldn't have any issues also inserting and removing discs.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames  /t/1489622/which-model-ps3-do-you-recommend-as-first-time-buyer#post_23711594

May as well go with the newest of the bunch. There are complaints if you go looking for every revision and some seem to prefer the original slims, but these seem to be doing fine for most so far and will be the easiest to locate new.

I believe this latest revision is also the quietest yet which is beneficial for video purposes. It also has a sliding disc door so you don't have to worry about losing a disc in the event of a console failure. That's bad enough if it's a game but very annoying if you're playing a disc from an expensive Blu-Ray or DVD box set and the console dies and won't eject your disc.

It's not as fancy though so some dislike it. And it could be problematic if you don't have much room above the console but if you leave it enough room to properly circulate air for cooling, you shouldn't have any issues also inserting and removing discs.

I've heard actually that many prefer the slim over the ultra slim. Not sure if that is the general consensus or not. I don't plan on buying a new console. Most likely a used one off a reputable seller from Ebay. Is this ill-advised with a gaming system such as the PS3?

#4 ·
I wouldn't purchase a used original PS3. They had widespread failures and the remedies for them that return them to working order leave the system a ticking time bomb.

I don't think you'd be taking much of a risk buying a used slim though from a good seller. They seem to be holding up well and without widespread issues. If you're buying used, I'd say this was the model to go with.

#8 ·
It doesn't sound like he wants to spend $400 since he's investigating used consoles and is specifically interested in the PS3. Presumably he's aware of the PS4 but doesn't want to break the bank.

Reading his posts suggests to me that he just wants something that will do a nice job playing Blu-Rays, upscaling his DVD's, and the occasional videogame.

$400 before tax is a pretty expensive route to accomplish all of that these days.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames  /t/1489622/which-model-ps3-do-you-recommend-as-first-time-buyer#post_23711779

It doesn't sound like he wants to spend $400 since he's investigating used consoles and is specifically interested in the PS3. Presumably he's aware of the PS4 but doesn't want to break the bank.

Reading post post suggests to me that he just wants something that will do a nice job playing Blu-Rays, upscaling his DVD's, and the occasional videogame.

$400 before tax is a pretty expensive route to accomplish all of that these days.

That's exactly it. I can't really justify spending that amount of money on a PS4 at the moment. I already own a 360 and I'm purchasing a projector in a few months so I thought I would get the use out of it by getting a Blu Ray player. With the Xbox being able to stream HD videos and a Blu Ray with the PS3, I think that will keep me plenty busy. Plus, I hear there are some really nice games for the PS3 that one could probably get fairly cheap as well.

So going with the Slim model seems the way to go. Is that what I'm hearing?

#10 ·
It doesn't have a few features that some of the originals had such as SACD support & Playstation 2 compatibility. And the small risk of losing a disc inside in the event of a hardware failure is there unlike on the super slims. But overall the regular slim seems to be the most well liked of the three basic types of Playstation 3 console.

And since you're looking at used, you don't have any availability issues to worry about despite having been out of production for a while. Might've been difficult to locate one new at this point for anything close to MSRP.

So in my opinion that's exactly what you want. A good condition slim PS3 from a reputable buyer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.