PlayStation Vita TV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 132 Old 08-06-2014, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I've looked every where, but don't seem to be able to see an answer.

Does the PlayStation TV support remote play with PS3?

All the manuals seem to show
Games - via PS4 Link
Other Content - via PS3 (including PSN games) but not PS3 games

edit -
ok it appears not -
2.1 PS3 to PSP
2.2 PS3 to PS Vita
2.3 PS4 to PS Vita
2.4 PS4 to PS Vita TV

PSN Brown-Corolla

Last edited by Mud76; 08-06-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: found answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 08-07-2014, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Also curious if the PSP game Resistance: Retribution, downloadable via PSN, can still connect to a PS3 when played on a Vita TV. Doing that on a PSP using tv/out provided full dual analog controls via a PS3 gamepad which were sent via WiFi to the PSP.

Some PSP games, including the above example, could also connect via USB to a PS2 or a PS3 to unlock extra content. Outrun 2006 isn't available via PSN but that springs to mind for an example that could talk to the PS2 version which was necessary to unlock all the extras in each game.

And Resistance Retribution is an example that can connect to a PS3 with Resistance 2 inserted to unlock a new mode in the PSP game.

I'm curious if such capabilities are preserved when played on a Vita.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 08-07-2014 at 02:26 AM.
post #93 of 132 Old 09-26-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I know that it's supposed to be upconverting Vita games to 720p; but what about remote play? Will it play 1080p in Remote Play? (Does anyone know?) It's probably not a big deal, given that I intend to use it on a 40" TV mounted in my bedroom.

It's an interesting prospect. Though it's puzzling that it doesn't play most of the PSone games available digitally. I would LOVE to play FFIX on my bedroom TV using this thing!
post #94 of 132 Old 09-26-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud76 View Post
Does the PlayStation TV support remote play with PS3?
AFAIK, it's got the exact same PS3 remote play support as the Vita (because it's essentially a Vita without a screen), which means it will show the PS3 interface, some apps, all PS1 classics, and a handful of PS3 games that are specifically written to support it. Out of those games, none of them are particularly good or popular.

(Well, the Ico collection supports it, which has Shadow of the Colossus. So that's the one good game I know of.)

So the short answer is "no, not really".
post #95 of 132 Old 09-26-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
AFAIK, it's got the exact same PS3 remote play support as the Vita (because it's essentially a Vita without a screen), which means it will show the PS3 interface, some apps, all PS1 classics, and a handful of PS3 games that are specifically written to support it. Out of those games, none of them are particularly good or popular.

(Well, the Ico collection supports it, which has Shadow of the Colossus. So that's the one good game I know of.)

So the short answer is "no, not really".
Sony listed PS3 support as being "through PlayStation Now" (aka pay to rent and stream games) and PS4 support via remote play. So, they specifically mentioned the PS3; and specifically did NOT mention remote play through the PS3. FWIW.

Strange though. The PS4 remote play feature supports basically every game except for the handful that use the camera or move.
post #96 of 132 Old 10-14-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 502
So picked this up today while grabbing The Evil Within. After going through the setup, which is exactly like the Vita setup, and playing a few games of Garden Warfare I am ready to box it up and send it back. I waited for this because I wanted a second system but since it wouldn't be used that much I thought spending the 100 vs 400 is a better option. Now I wasn't expecting it to play exactly like a PS4 but the remote play was worse on here than with my Vita. Thought about trying a Vita game but I have no interest in that so its going to be boxed up and returned. To bad as I had high hopes for it.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #97 of 132 Old 10-14-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
While going all wireless with a setup produces (as usual) a laggier experience, early reviews say that that PlayStation TV works really well when they include at least one wired connection:

Tech Radar:
Quote:
For as small as this device is, PlayStation TV delivers impressive gaming performance. Native PS Vita games play smoothly on the system, though occasionally graphics suffered from being blown up from the Vita's 5-inch screen to my 60-inch TV. Remote Play with my PS4 worked flawlessly, offering a slightly surreal wheres-the-console experience. Shadows of Mordor and Transistor both looked and played wonderfully through PlayStation TV, with my PS4 down the hall in another room. (For my tests I had the PSTV wired directly into my router and the PS4 connected via Wi-Fi).

The Games Cabin:

Quote:
Now onto streaming PS4 games. This was the most talked up feature by Sony and other critics, but for me it’s not really my main reason for getting the console. Whilst it’s nice to have the option to stream your PS4 games to another screen should the other half want the telly, I have a PS Vita that is more than capable of doing just that, allowing me to go and game in the garden if I feel the need and not be constrained to a TV.

Still, personal preference aside, the feature works pretty darn well. Connecting to your PS4 is a doddle and most importantly, there’s no lag. Or at least none that affects my enjoyment.

Image quality doesn’t take too much of a hit and games still manage to look great on my older HDTV, though there is a slight difference. Whether this is down to my second TV being older and not as high quality, I cannot say. What I can say is that it runs swimmingly. Games boot up and load just as fast as they would if you were sitting in front of the PS4. Jumping into a quick game of Call of Duty: Ghosts was the real test for useability and it passed with flying colours.

I rarely experienced any input lag and when I did it was for a split second, most likely due to spikes in my network (I was downloading a game to the Xbox One at the time.) Overall I’d say the service was perfectly, well, serviceable, though there are some things missing, things that Sony didn’t say would be missing.
Kotaku:
Quote:
As long as your PlayStation TV and PlayStation 4 are on the same network, this should be a simple matter of starting up the PS4 Link program pn the PSTV and searching for it. If for some reason you've got a segmented home network, you might have to go to your PS4 and retrieve a setup code.

I will tell you this right now — if you have to resort to the setup code option, you're going to have a less-than-optimal experience. The ideal here is both systems wired into the same network — that's physically wired. Wireless will work, but unless you've got a nice dual-band router, the lag is going to be annoying.

I tried wireless streaming on my less-than-lovely router several times, and was plagued by lag, screen tearing and disconnects. I really, really need a good router — suggestions are welcome.

Eventually I wound up moving about every networked item in my home to ensure both devices were connected via wire to the same router. After a bit of trial and error, things started going my way.
Lag is always going to be an issue with streaming games over networks. The tech is basically streaming video from one device to the other, while communicating input in the other direction. The key is minimizing that lag. Once my connection issues worked themselves out, Diablo III suddenly went from frustrating to quite playable.
They also tried out Drive Club and state that it plays very well on PS TV. Finally,
here are their Vita & PSOne gameplay thoughts on PS TV:

Quote:
Vita games that are compatible with the PlayStation TV however, run like a dream. No slowdown, no stuttering — it's the same internals, so why would there be? You'll get a little bit of blurriness around the edges, as one would expect from games made for a small screen going large, but with few exceptions it was barely noticeable.
Of course PSP games are made for an even lower resolution screen, and while 2D titles look quite lovely, some of the PSP's 3D games get awfully jaggy when blown up. That doesn't mean 3D PSP games are unplayable — they run incredibly smoothly on the PlayStation TV. Just be prepared to get a more intimate look at some of those polygons.

That doesn't mean 3D PSP games are unplayable — they run incredibly smoothly on the PlayStation TV. Just be prepared to get a more intimate look at some of those polygons.
~~~

The main complaint so far seems to not have anything to do with remote play, which appears to work as well as it does with PS4-->PSVita, but the weak movie/TV show streaming compatibility. So far only Crackle works, but it has a poor library and commercials. No Hulu, Amazon Prime or Netflix streaming right now even if your PS4 or Vita allows it.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Last edited by joeblow; 10-14-2014 at 01:42 PM.
post #98 of 132 Old 10-14-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the PS4 and PTV wired. Tried another game and still noticing more lag than my Vita, which is obviously connected wirelessly. I want this to work as it saves me $300 but I can't get past the input lag. I see an enemy and I go to move and it has the delay to get to where I want. It also stutters at times.

I have 45 days to return it so I will try it out at different times and see if anything changes. If not I guess I spend the extra cash.

The size of the device is amazing though. I didnt expect it to be so small. Slightly bigger than a credit card. Very easy to hide and thats something the wife will like.

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #99 of 132 Old 10-14-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 207
Experience for any streaming services will always vary for people because of different network setups, but so far almost all reports say the PS TV tech works very well. Not unexpected considering how awesome PS4 remote play is for most people on the Vita.

The first post has been updated with current PS TV info including the official ultimate FAQ and a list of compatible titles (some more Vita games are now excluded for whatever reason).

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #100 of 132 Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I went back and forth between my vita and ps tv and the vita does better with the lag. I'm actually going to connect the ps tv wirelessly. Maybe something going on with the wire.

I'm not expecting no lag. Just to be equal with the vita. I tried DC and couldn't get one turn in. It would turn to late and I ended up in the wall.

I do have a crap load of stuff connected to my network so could be another issue. I just fall back to the vita being fine and the ps tv being far behind. Could be also be the device.

post #101 of 132 Old 10-14-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
The ethernet connection has to travel through your router, while the vita can connect directly. You'd have to have a really overloaded network or slow router/switch for to matter, but it's the only way I can think to explain that.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #102 of 132 Old 10-14-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

The PS TV connects directly as well. You can see it disconnect from LAN and go to Wifi to connect to it.

I found the issue after tons of work trying to figure it out it was the one thing I should of first done. Check the internet connection screen. I was getting a NAT fail. So I manually assigned IP and all that other good stuff and BAM it all worked. The connection is much better. Still some lag but I wouldn't be playing any shooters or racing games here. Mainly my single player games where I don't have to be that quick with the controller. Looks like a keeper unless something else pops up with it.

Video quality could be a little better, almost looks like they took the image on a Vita and blew it up onto the TV.

post #103 of 132 Old 10-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
The PS TV connects directly as well. You can see it disconnect from LAN and go to Wifi to connect to it.

I found the issue after tons of work trying to figure it out it was the one thing I should of first done. Check the internet connection screen. I was getting a NAT fail. So I manually assigned IP and all that other good stuff and BAM it all worked. The connection is much better. Still some lag but I wouldn't be playing any shooters or racing games here. Mainly my single player games where I don't have to be that quick with the controller. Looks like a keeper unless something else pops up with it.

Video quality could be a little better, almost looks like they took the image on a Vita and blew it up onto the TV.
My home network has no problem with my phones/iPad/laptop in the living room, but with the PSTV I am not getting a good connection at all. Two arcs(?) at most. I will try manually assigning the IP address and see if that will work for me, otherwise it's going back. I don't see myself buying a ton of Vita games, it was mostly just to stream Netflix/YouTube on the TV in the living room and to play some PS4 games that don't require too much input. I probably should just send it back before I find out that it works and want to keep it. I honestly won't get too much usage out of it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JShmoopy
PSN ID: JShmoopy
post #104 of 132 Old 10-15-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I don't understand why it's so much worse over wifi than my Vita. It's technically five or six feet closer to the router!
post #105 of 132 Old 10-15-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes the wifi aspect is horrible. I got a better link with the ps4 when I disabled the option to connect directly. At first I thought everything would be ok but I played a little of Evil Within on the PS TV and I just don't think its a keeper. I make a slight move and I didn't think it registered so I move again then it does both moves and next thing I know I have a chainsaw cutting me in half. Not sure if those reviewers have nothing going on with the network or what but I find the system link ok at best and thats not often. Maybe its better for vita games. Glad I am not the only one having issues with the network.

I used my Vita a lot this summer with system link and the connection was much better. I played The Show once while away from home and the connection using the system link was just the same as having the PS TV in the house. The idea was right but the execution needs work.

post #106 of 132 Old 10-15-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked one up yesterday for the sole purpose of streaming my PS4 games to my bedroom TV.

I've got structured wiring in my house as well as two wireless routers but I'm currently running both units wired instead of wifi so I was expected flawless streaming.

For the first 30 minutes or so it was fantastic. The video quality was only slightly worse than playing on the TV that the PS4 is directly connected to and I was experience no noticeable lag. But later on it felt like I was experience a lot more lag for some reason. Madden 15 was almost unplayable... still bearable but not a buttery smooth experience to say the least. The framerate looked to be much less than 30fps.

I'm hoping that they can improve the streaming a bit. I've streamed games through Steam to my Surface Pro 3 and it works flawlessly... and my SP3 is obviously wireless so I'd expect that the PS4/PSTV combo would be flawless when both units are wired.

I'm not giving up on the unit yet as it's just barely meeting my needs but I'm hopeful that they will dramatically improve the streaming capabilities soon.
Drew_N likes this.
post #107 of 132 Old 10-15-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I too noticed pretty significant lag. Ps4 is hardwired gigabit into the same switch as my wireless AP. PSTV is wireless about 12 ft away.

The menu system is absolutely brutal. Im sure its familiar to vita owners, but it not consistent with any other Sony product, and very clumsy.

Ill keep it, but i hope to hell it gets better.
post #108 of 132 Old 11-04-2014, 12:54 AM

The last update seemed to fix the lag and image problems for me. At first, remote play gave me a headache because the image appeared blurry, and there was a slight delay when issuing commands. Now, the image is clearer (there is now a "high" video setting for good connections) and the delay is much better. I was able to play Diablo 3 for a couple hours no problem. There is also an option to lock the PS tv resolution, so I set it at 1080i.
post #109 of 132 Old 11-04-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I hardwired it permanently and the 3.35 update really knocked up the remote play quality. It looks almost like a live 720p picture now and seems more responsive too.
post #110 of 132 Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 278
What am I looking at here? There are games that can only be played on the PSTV?

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #111 of 132 Old 11-13-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
What am I looking at here? There are games that can only be played on the PSTV?
No, it plays Vita games. You are looking at a Vita game that can be played on the PS TV

post #112 of 132 Old 11-13-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
No, it plays Vita games. You are looking at a Vita game that can be played on the PS TV
Thanks pal. Makes sense. So is the PSTV is basically Vita internals, bring your own display and controller.
Are the memory cards hot-swappable, pull out the Vita card, put into PSTV to play on TV and vice-versa?

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #113 of 132 Old 11-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
Thanks pal. Makes sense. So is the PSTV is basically Vita internals, bring your own display and controller.
Are the memory cards hot-swappable, pull out the Vita card, put into PSTV to play on TV and vice-versa?
You are correct, the Vita TV can play Vita games inserted and the Vita memory cards work also. It can stream games from the PS4 also like the regular Vita. It can also do Playstaion Now streaming of PS3 games.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
post #114 of 132 Old 11-16-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It cant play all vita games... namely the ones that use front and back touch for controls. etc.
post #115 of 132 Old 11-18-2014, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had a vita and stopped traveling. So i dumped the vitat to help pick up a PS4. Now i am debating on getting the TV so i can play Freedom Wars and some other games. Saw the TV for sale for 80 bucks the other day. Very tempting.
post #116 of 132 Old 11-19-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Posted in the deals thread, but Amazon has Vita TV for $79.99 right now. Isn't the normal price $99.99?
post #117 of 132 Old 11-21-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Great thread guys. With the Amazon price of $80 this is very tempting. I'm going to pick one up today. My sole purpose is to stream PS4 games to a different TV in the house (no interest for me in Vita and older games). Fortunately I have both the PS4 and remote TV on a wired network and same segment so I'm anticipating little or no lag.

A few questions please:

1. What is the max resolution output? I read somewhere it was 720p but somewhere else you had an option to select 1080i? If I can stream 4k from Netflix I'd think it should be possible for the PS4 to do 1080 resolution within a local wired network?

2. Am I correct to assume I will be able to turn on / off the PS4 (if I keep it in Rest mode) from the PS TV remotely?

3. Does PS TV support two controllers for local multiplayer?

4. Is it possible to do full screen local multiplayer with player 1 on the ps4 and player 2 on the PS TV?

5. Can I have two PS TV devices in the house assuming only one at a time is used?

6. Although it would likely be quite laggy, is it possible to take the PS TV when traveling and connect to home PS4 with it?

7. I also have an Xbox One. Does it have any such device to support remote play in the house like the PS TV offers?

Thanks!

Last edited by lovingdvd; 11-21-2014 at 05:29 AM.
post #118 of 132 Old 11-21-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

1. What is the max resolution output? I read somewhere it was 720p but somewhere else you had an option to select 1080i? If I can stream 4k from Netflix I'd think it should be possible for the PS4 to do 1080 resolution within a local wired network?

720p is the output when I had it but I did read somewhere also that you can select 1080i but I am wondering if thats the PS TV upscaling the 720p. Not sure.

2. Am I correct to assume I will be able to turn on / off the PS4 (if I keep it in Rest mode) from the PS TV remotely?

Yes but its done a little differently. You need to go to the power section on the PS4 dashboard to put it into rest mode.

I dont know

4. Is it possible to do full screen local multiplayer with player 1 on the ps4 and player 2 on the PS TV?

I believe so but it also can depend on the game. It does mention the person on the PS TV can be the player 2 on your PS4.

5. Can I have two PS TV devices in the house assuming only one at a time is used?

I wouldn't see why not as long they are not connected at the same time.

6. Although it would likely be quite laggy, is it possible to take the PS TV when traveling and connect to home PS4 with it?

No it only works when connected to the same home network. It does not use the internet to connect to your PS4.

7. I also have an Xbox One. Does it have any such device to support remote play in the house like the PS TV offers?

No

I had the PS TV prior to the latest update and even with both the PS4 and PS TV being connected I did have a little lag. Enough to where I couldn't play games like BF and Driveclub. I have read or saw that they measured the lag around 100ms. Ill look for it again, I think it was a Youtube video.

I was curious on how the latest patch worked out as I am still interested in the device. I was only going to use it for remote play to another TV.

Last edited by emartins; 11-21-2014 at 05:43 AM.
post #119 of 132 Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Q:

A:
3. It supports four.

4. Absolutely. It's how I used to play Skylanders with my son before I had a second controller.

5. Yes, absolutely. You can even use them both at the same time, just not for remote playing.

6. You'd be surprised at how good it can be if you have a great connection at both ends (and how crappy if you don't.)
post #120 of 132 Old 11-22-2014, 03:21 PM

questions

The maximum resolution for remote play is 720p. For native PS TV apps and games, the maximum is 1080i, although I imagine it depends on the game or app. You can lock the output at either resolution, but I think the PS TV will upscale/downscale the image.

yes, if it's always in rest mode.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page