Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #121 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Guys - Is there a way I can use Bluetooth headphones with remote play when the Bluetooth. Signals from thr room I'm playing in cannot reach the PS4 location ?

The room I'm playing in has an AVRrhat the PS TV can be fed into (and then over to the PS4) or the TV there also supports ARC so I could go direct to TV and then over to AVR that way. How can I do this so the headphones with with remote play?

Also in a different remote room that I may move the PS TV into from time to time - that root does not have an AVR. Just a TV with 4 HDMI inputs. So in this room thr Ps TV would hook to one of the HDMI inputs but how then do I get the Bluetooth signal to the headphones. That said - unlike my other TV - this one does natively support Bluetooth hradsets (but with done audio lag).

Ina similar note - a friend recently got a pair of PS4 headsets and said when he connected them direct to PS4 they sounded much better than when connecting them to his AVR do will I run into that as well? Thanks!

EDIT; I see there is a Bluetooth output on the PS TV box. But I read in the PS TV FAQ that it says the PS4 Gold, silver and elite headphones are not supported. Since these are Sony headphones designed for the ps4 and there's a Bluetooth jack on the PS TV why wouldn't this be supported?? Is there a workaround? I haven't bought headphones yet, but want to buy a pair I can get the best quality and use our of both when playing with remote play as wellas playing in my main PS4 system.

Last edited by lovingdvd; 11-23-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Answers to lovingdvd's question will be appreciated, also, can the PSTV stream from a non-primary PS4?

-Crav

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #123 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am curious to see what options are available for this too, since I imagine it might become a common need. I can say that the PS headsets don't work with Bluetooth, because they are NOT Bluetooth. They all use a USB dongle, and don't actually pair using Bluetooth tech. Must be some other type of wireless tech.

bg
post #124 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post
I am curious to see what options are available for this too, since I imagine it might become a common need. I can say that the PS headsets don't work with Bluetooth, because they are NOT Bluetooth. They all use a USB dongle, and don't actually pair using Bluetooth tech. Must be some other type of wireless tech.
Thanks guys. I'Ve been digging all over the net and surprisingly haven't come across this question or anyone specifically talking about what headset they use with PS TV. But I have gathered enough info I think to make somewhat of an educated guess as to what may work...

My current plan is to go with the Turtle Beach 500P. My reasons why this seems like it could be the right choice are this:

1. The PS TV FAQ doesn't say Bluetooth doesn't work - it says specifically that the gold, silver and pulse won't work. Now that you said those hradsets don't actually use Bluetooth, that explains why.

2. Since the PS TV does have Bluetooth supoort according to the FAQ, hhis leads me to believe that of course it should work with real Bluetooth headsets.

3. The Turtle Beach 500P marketing boasts (IIRC) that it is the first headset that supports 7.1 sound over Bluetooth and does NOT require a dongle. Considering #2 above I think this means there's a fair chance it'll work.

4. The headsets are overall very highly rated and get favorable results. And at around $129 they are fairly reasonably priced. There could be others hat are better but I'm not looking to spend $200+.

What do you guys think of this logic? Are there any other choices for "real" Bluetooth hradsets that supoort 7.1 that you think could work with PS TV that may be just as good or better than the Turtle Beach 500P? I think I will head to Best Buy today and give it a whirl.

P.S. A year ago I tried an older turtle beach headset for the one and only time at a friends house with his Xbox One. It sounded great but there was noticable audio lag. If I run into audio lag is there any type of adjustment for that?

Last edited by lovingdvd; 11-23-2014 at 08:51 AM.
post #125 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 513
I am wondering if the PS TV only sends out the sound in stereo. I understand the TB can do 7.1 but if its not receiving it in 7.1 or even 5.1 then the headset will be in stereo mode unless the headset itself does the processing of into a simulated 5.1/7.1.

My guess is in stereo as if it was higher I would think that would another bullet point for them in the marketing dept.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #126 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
I am wondering if the PS TV only sends out the sound in stereo. I understand the TB can do 7.1 but if its not receiving it in 7.1 or even 5.1 then the headset will be in stereo mode unless the headset itself does the processing of into a simulated 5.1/7.1.

My guess is in stereo as if it was higher I would think that would another bullet point for them in the marketing dept.
Yea that's a great point about whether PS TV would support a 7.1 (or even 5.1) sound field. There is no disclaimer in the FAQ that says "stereo only" next to the part where it says it supports Bluetooth. And for Turtle Beach - I don't think PS TV is that popular yet and so Turtle Beach marketing may have overlooked this as an advantage especially since their marketing for the product was likely designed prior to the PS TV release. Then again this could just be optimistic thinking. I have little need for a headset in my main viewing room so if this doesn't work I'll likely just return it.
post #127 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Yea that's a great point about whether PS TV would support a 7.1 (or even 5.1) sound field. There is no disclaimer in the FAQ that says "stereo only" next to the part where it says it supports Bluetooth. And for Turtle Beach - I don't think PS TV is that popular yet and so Turtle Beach marketing may have overlooked this as an advantage especially since their marketing for the product was likely designed prior to the PS TV release. Then again this could just be optimistic thinking. I have little need for a headset in my main viewing room so if this doesn't work I'll likely just return it.

Thinking a little more it might not even be the PS TV but the remote play feature itself. The PS4 might only stream it in stereo.

post #128 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

A quick google search and it only outputs in stereo.

"And then there's the PlayStation TV's technical limitations. Once everything is set up properly, the convenience of playing PlayStation 4 games in another room is offset by the fact that the PlayStation TV does not output in 1080p — 720p or 1080i is the best it can do. That, and it does not support surround sound, only outputting two channels."

http://kotaku.com/playstation-tv-the...iew-1648280637

Thats just one site but I found a few saying the same thing.

post #129 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
multiple PS4s and remote play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
Answers to lovingdvd's question will be appreciated, also, can the PSTV stream from a non-primary PS4?

-Crav
On the PS TV there is an option to switch the PS4 system that connects during remote play. I only have one PS4 at the moment, so I haven't tried it.
post #130 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
A quick google search and it only outputs in stereo.

"And then there's the PlayStation TV's technical limitations. Once everything is set up properly, the convenience of playing PlayStation 4 games in another room is offset by the fact that the PlayStation TV does not output in 1080p — 720p or 1080i is the best it can do. That, and it does not support surround sound, only outputting two channels."

http://kotaku.com/playstation-tv-the...iew-1648280637

Thats just one site but I found a few saying the same thing.
Ugh! Thanks for tracking that down. I searched all over but I guess my search terms were weak. That really stinks. Already bought it, but haven't picked it up yet. Wondering if its still worth it because I still need to use headphones when remote playing. Any good how good the headphones sound in regular 2 channel? Probably pretty weak?
post #131 of 138 Old 11-23-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Another thought... Is there a way to get 5.1 or 7.1 sound from a WIRED headset, like plugging it jntonthe controller, while using remote play? Or is 5.1 or 7.1 sound only available over bluetooth? If this is possible, which headset should I be looking at?
post #132 of 138 Old 11-24-2014, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Another thought... Is there a way to get 5.1 or 7.1 sound from a WIRED headset, like plugging it jntonthe controller, while using remote play? Or is 5.1 or 7.1 sound only available over bluetooth? If this is possible, which headset should I be looking at?
You mean the DS4? It's only stereo.

post #133 of 138 Old 11-29-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys - How are you supposed to get the PS TV to "wake" from Power Off mode? When I hit the PS button on the controller (even with the PS4 plugged into the PS TV via USB) nothing happens. I have to unplug the power cable and plug it back in to get the PS TV to wake up. Even in power off mode I'd expect it to be "listening" for an ON request from a controller, just like a PS4 does in Off mode. I normally use Standby mode for PS TV, but in some cases it may go off due to someone else turning it off (chosing Power Mode OFF) or if power is lost and then come back on.

Am I doing something wrong here? How are you supposed to wake this thing from power off mode? Thanks!
post #134 of 138 Old 11-30-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I press the power button in the back.
post #135 of 138 Old 11-30-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post
I press the power button in the back.
Thanks. Didn't ever realize there was a power button on back. I'll have a look. Although I still say the thing shkuld wake from Off mode with the PS button on controller.

Can you guys then please confirm for me that yours doesn't wake from power off mode with s press of the PS button? Thanks.
post #136 of 138 Unread Yesterday, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony to give $25 or $50 toward games to owners of the Vita before 2013.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/1...lay-ad-claims/
DaverJ likes this.

post #137 of 138 Unread Yesterday, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Well, I bought the PS TV on Amazon for $79 to give the remote play a spin. I was expecting to be completely disappointed but was actually pleasantly surprised!

Graphically I saw little hit @ 1080i. The surprising part is even with a full second of input lag I was able to complete the daily story in Destiny today solo. I wouldn't try timed jumps in the vault or MP, but it was completely playable. I turned down the look sensitivity in game to compensate.

If they release a gen 2 unit that can compensate for the lag and do 1080p @60 they'd have a real winner evenat twice the price! This will do for the times the kids are on the projector and I want to get a few hours of game time in, at least until PS4 slims come out at a reduced price. Plus I get play the powerstone collection! (PSP)

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #138 of 138 Unread Today, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the PS TV and absolutely loving it. Remote Play works flawlessly for me (my sole reason for getting it). Very little (if any) lag. Doesn't impact game play at all at least in my setup. Even can play NHL 15 which is almost as good as playing from the main system. The only downside is that the graphics are a bit lower quality even though I am set at 1080i. The graphics still look good, but the best way to describe it is that they have less detail and crispness. Totally acceptable in return for the flexibility and convenience to play from a different room when desired.

As an added and unexpected bonus, my Turtle Beach 500P headset picks up a string signal from the remote root (the PS4 is located on the level directly below the remote play room). This means I can game with the headset in full quality sound, unlike if I had to use Bluetooth from the PS TV which only supports 2 channel sound. There is also no noticeable lag in the sound either - so I'm playing in the remote room listening to audio being streamed from the USB dongle in the PS4 room and the audio is perfectly in sync. I also test a pair of Bluetooth headphones that were connected to the PS TV and those worked great and also no lag. I could even do this for 2 player sound with headphones if desired - one from the Bluetooth of the PS TV and the other from the 500P from the PS4. Sweet.

Overall I'd give PS TV a 90 out of 100, mainly the result of the lower quality (but still totally acceptable) graphics. Also I think the $79 price I paid for it was quite reasonable. If the price happens to drop further I will pick up another one or possibly two for other rooms! I also have an Xbox One - too bad MS does not have something similar, and frankly, I'm surprised they are letting Sony one-up them on this. Would be great to be able to do the same thing with Xbox One games.

There are, however, a few minor annoyances. Like when shutting down you have to manually put the PS4 into Rest mode from the PS TV and then put the PS TV into Standby mode. It would be a lot more convenient if they had an option that would automatically put the PS4 into Rest mode and then Standby for the PS TV. Also in the case where there was a PS4 system update waiting, the PS TV didn't connect (as could be expected). I knew about this pending update when I fired up the PS TV from reading about it online, so I wasn't surprised when the PS TV was unable to start up the PS4 and told me that - I know that was the reason, and I had to go to the PS4 TV and turn it on and do the update. Would have been nice if that scenario was handled more gracefully. Granted this isn't all that common, but then again its not an edge case either. Figure that with an update once a month or every other month that's enough to be an annoyance so hopefully they'll find a way to handle it better. Also it should be noted that Share Play will NOT work through the PS TV.

There is one other drawback which is not the fault of the PS TV... you have to manually go to the PS4 to swap discs when you want to play something. As if swapping discs was not already a PITA, doing so from the comfort of another room makes it even more of a PITA. In this scenario, digital games have a big advantage. That said, I will continue to prefer discs because of the resale angle. For instance, with AC Unity I paid $39 from Best Buy once factoring in my GCU discount and a $10 reward cert for pre-ordering. A month later I sold it back to them for $44. So they actually paid me a few bucks to play it for a month. Whereas with a digital purchase I'd be out $60 for a game I'd never play again. Until they find a way to solve this I'll stick with discs. Anyway that's a bit off topic but seems relevant to bring up considering how much nicer digital would be when you factor in Remote Play.

Improvements I'd like to see with the PS TV: a) improved resolution, b) support for 5.1 sound over Bluetooth on the PS TV, c) better handling when a PS4 update is pending (just say "can't connect because a PS4 update is pending - please go to main PS4 system and perform the update before using Remote Play so its clear why it won't start up), and d) support for Share Play.

For reference I have a 100MB wired connection from the PS4 to the router and also from the PS TV to the same router. If there was any Wifi involved I'm sure there'd be more lag based on other reports I've read. Any questions just let me know.
steve1022 likes this.

Last edited by lovingdvd; Today at 03:25 PM.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page