post #1 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
PlayStation TV... stream PS games to a separate TV

PlayStation TV is out now.

For $100 (or $140 with a PS3 controller and 8 GB Vita memory card) you get a streaming gadget that allows you to play over 700 games on any TV in the house from the following sources...

- PS4 (streamed from your console in another room)
- PS Now for PS3 game rentals (streamed from the PSN)
- Vita cartridges plugged directly into the unit
- Digital dloads of Vita, PSOne, PSP and PS Mobile titles

It also accepts your current Vita memory card which allows you to port titles and saves back and forth with your handheld, and the PS TV works with a PS3 or PS4 controller.

The device can stream movie and TV shows from apps, but that selection is VERY limited at launch: only Crackle, with no Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. support at the moment.

~~~
PS TV Ultimate FAQ

List of games compatible with PS TV
~~~

Early reviews are in, and like PS4--->Vita remote play, the lag experience is minimal resulting in a great gameplay experience provided your network doesn't have issues (going all wireless produces the worst results).

Tech Radar:
Quote:
For as small as this device is, PlayStation TV delivers impressive gaming performance. Native PS Vita games play smoothly on the system, though occasionally graphics suffered from being blown up from the Vita's 5-inch screen to my 60-inch TV. Remote Play with my PS4 worked flawlessly, offering a slightly surreal wheres-the-console experience. Shadows of Mordor and Transistor both looked and played wonderfully through PlayStation TV, with my PS4 down the hall in another room. (For my tests I had the PSTV wired directly into my router and the PS4 connected via Wi-Fi).

The Games Cabin:

Quote:
Now onto streaming PS4 games. This was the most talked up feature by Sony and other critics, but for me it’s not really my main reason for getting the console. Whilst it’s nice to have the option to stream your PS4 games to another screen should the other half want the telly, I have a PS Vita that is more than capable of doing just that, allowing me to go and game in the garden if I feel the need and not be constrained to a TV.

Still, personal preference aside, the feature works pretty darn well. Connecting to your PS4 is a doddle and most importantly, there’s no lag. Or at least none that affects my enjoyment.

Image quality doesn’t take too much of a hit and games still manage to look great on my older HDTV, though there is a slight difference. Whether this is down to my second TV being older and not as high quality, I cannot say. What I can say is that it runs swimmingly. Games boot up and load just as fast as they would if you were sitting in front of the PS4. Jumping into a quick game of Call of Duty: Ghosts was the real test for useability and it passed with flying colours.

I rarely experienced any input lag and when I did it was for a split second, most likely due to spikes in my network (I was downloading a game to the Xbox One at the time.) Overall I’d say the service was perfectly, well, serviceable, though there are some things missing, things that Sony didn’t say would be missing.

Kotaku:
Quote:
As long as your PlayStation TV and PlayStation 4 are on the same network, this should be a simple matter of starting up the PS4 Link program pn the PSTV and searching for it. If for some reason you've got a segmented home network, you might have to go to your PS4 and retrieve a setup code.

I will tell you this right now — if you have to resort to the setup code option, you're going to have a less-than-optimal experience. The ideal here is both systems wired into the same network — that's physically wired. Wireless will work, but unless you've got a nice dual-band router, the lag is going to be annoying.

I tried wireless streaming on my less-than-lovely router several times, and was plagued by lag, screen tearing and disconnects. I really, really need a good router — suggestions are welcome.

Eventually I wound up moving about every networked item in my home to ensure both devices were connected via wire to the same router. After a bit of trial and error, things started going my way.
Lag is always going to be an issue with streaming games over networks. The tech is basically streaming video from one device to the other, while communicating input in the other direction. The key is minimizing that lag. Once my connection issues worked themselves out, Diablo III suddenly went from frustrating to quite playable.
They also tried out Drive Club and state that it plays very well on PS TV. Finally,
here are their Vita & PSOne gameplay thoughts on PS TV:

Quote:
Vita games that are compatible with the PlayStation TV however, run like a dream. No slowdown, no stuttering — it's the same internals, so why would there be? You'll get a little bit of blurriness around the edges, as one would expect from games made for a small screen going large, but with few exceptions it was barely noticeable.
Of course PSP games are made for an even lower resolution screen, and while 2D titles look quite lovely, some of the PSP's 3D games get awfully jaggy when blown up. That doesn't mean 3D PSP games are unplayable — they run incredibly smoothly on the PlayStation TV. Just be prepared to get a more intimate look at some of those polygons.

That doesn't mean 3D PSP games are unplayable — they run incredibly smoothly on the PlayStation TV. Just be prepared to get a more intimate look at some of those polygons.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Last edited by joeblow; 10-14-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Looks good and I'd take a consolized handheld any day over a handheld. I only buy these things for their unique games that I can't find anywhere else. I don't buy them because they're a handheld and would prefer a proper controller and tv/out any day of the week.

Wish there was a UMD slot though. I wanted something like this for years on the PSP and the closest I ever got to that was with the PSP Go with its Blue-Tooth PS3 support. But that limited me to downloads and I was still stuck with the PSP's subpar video output that only recently has become more acceptable with various scaling devices created specifically to address that issue.
freemeat likes this.
post #3 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Hmm my interest is starting to wane. 720 I can live with but no Vita games unless I stream it from my PS4? Will probably get one for my kid but that will be about it.
post #4 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind I misread the OP. Thought it said Vita games streamed from the PS4...my bad.
post #5 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Since it's news is now over three threads, I'll post this reply here. Hope Zookster doesn't mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

It's easy to get excited about the features for the price point, but don't forget to factor in how much that 32 GB, or now 64 GB card, is going to run you if you want to store a lot of content on it. I also wonder just how good Vita games will look blown up on a 50"+ TV. I don't think they were designed to run at that size at 720p / 30 fps. And will PS4 games extended onto bedroom TVs through VitaTV look as good as when output directly by the PS4? Though I'm sure they'll look great on the Vita itself.

At this stage and price point I don’t think it’s really meant for the living room per say, at least not yet.

It’s meant to compliment your PS4 and to be used in your other rooms that aren’t set up with that 50-70” TV or 7.1 system. Smaller screens in kids rooms, bedrooms, dens, patios, ect. Places where you want video and gaming, but where fidelity is allowed to take a slight hit for convince sake. (after all, unless you have you own streaming setup built, streaming media over the net isn’t exactly up to home theater quality yet).

Vita functionality is just icing on the cake that adds value to the device, but the real reason it’s Vita compatible is because to get it to market so quick they’re obviously just gutting the non-essential hardware from the Vita (screen, controls) and throwing it in a smaller box. Vita remote play was the original idea from the start, but someone must have had the good idea that the basic hardware can run cheap semi-gaming box (PS1, PSV, PS4 remote play and eventually Gakai) with media streaming+ and they could leverage it off their existing hardware and production setup quickly and cheaply.

If it proves to be successful for what it is, I’d expect hardware revisions that tidy up around the edges (better quality outputs, hardware scaler to allow reverse vita on PS4 play, ect. Something where you might have it also on your theater or living room setup.
post #6 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There are some games that won't make the cut due to touch input. Surge is one I enjoy that is impossible without touch control. Some of them can be patched for analog I guess (like Uncharted GA's carbon rubbings), but it won't always be smooth.

Also, will future Vita games gimp the touch controls to remain Vita TV friendly?

post #7 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

There's so much needless touch screen junk in Uncharted judging by reviews I just read that it sounds like an ambitious project were it to be patched to make it all optional, But at least it's a premier Vita title, a popular franchise, a successful game, 1st party, and one that people are going to be want to be able to play on their tv sets.

So I suppose it has a 50/50 chance of being patched. I suspect though that it and the new Killzone stand solid chances of getting a home console port one of these days so I imagine one way or another it will be able to eventually be enjoyed on a tv.

Not tons of 1st party software that are obvious candidates for console conversions and we've seen how Sony has fallen in love with HDizing PS3 & PSP games of which they're running out of obvious candidates.
post #8 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
I'd guess a DS4 firmware upgrade would be implemented, no?

Seems like it be a no brainer to allow use of the DS4 with it, and retail the touchpad game functionality.
post #9 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps but with the entire front screen being a touch screen and with the rear touch area, that won't be useful for at least some games.
post #10 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

There are some games that won't make the cut due to touch input. Surge is one I enjoy that is impossible without touch control. Some of them can be patched for analog I guess (like Uncharted GA's carbon rubbings), but it won't always be smooth.

Also, will future Vita games gimp the touch controls to remain Vita TV friendly?

I hope this means that future Vita games will at least offer more options to touch controls and not make them mandatory, although I guess that would limit developers to some degree, particularly when it comes to such unique titles as TearAway. Ultimately, it may come down to the popularity (sales) of Vita TV and whether people actually want to use it as a primary means for playing games developed for the Vita.

At any rate, people who think Vita TV will enable them to play the many free Vita games for Plus members they've been stockpiling since last November may be a bit disappointed. Sony will need to be very clear in its advertising which games are Vita TV compatible.
post #11 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My impression is that shoehorned motion controls like Uncharted's were pretty much already dissipating.

Hopefully they will only be used going forward in games where it's actually beneficial to the game rather than the situation that a few early games were in that were arguably worse off for it. I don't think anyone would fault this for not playing a game designed around the Vita's touch screen capabilities that just wouldn't work very well without it.

Plus such games that most benefit from touch screens are usually the type people want to play on a handheld anyways. Where this excels is in allowing console style experiences to be played on your living room television set.
post #12 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't ran into many touch screen games yet. Uncharted but haven't played it much. Farming simulator honks the horn...can do without that. Its nice on Dragons Crown for finding items but the stick does it too. Overall haven't seen much point.
post #13 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

This has touch screen workaround controls. So games like Uncharted can be enjoyed although I'm sure that casual touch screen minigames and such like on Mobile won't translate very well. But at least things like Uncharted can be played.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/09/you-can-activate-touch-controls-on-ps-vita-tv-by-using-the-sticks/

And I'm hoping that this thing in Japan will have an external UMD drive add-on. The PSP is popular enough in Japan where I think it's a possibility. I'd love to import that and get the perfect device for my entire PSP collection to enjoy it with a gamepad and on a HDTV. Here's a shot of the rear of the PS Vita TV showing a USB port. If it's the latest technology would that be fast enough to stream data for such an accessory?

http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/PSVITATV_Rear.jpg
post #14 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

This has touch screen workaround controls. So games like Uncharted can be enjoyed although I'm sure that casual touch screen minigames and such like on Mobile won't translate very well. But at least things like Uncharted can be played.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/09/you-can-activate-touch-controls-on-ps-vita-tv-by-using-the-sticks/

And I'm hoping that this thing in Japan will have an external UMD drive add-on. The PSP is popular enough in Japan where I think it's a possibility. I'd love to import that and get the perfect device for my entire PSP collection to enjoy it with a gamepad and on a HDTV. Here's a shot of the rear of the PS Vita TV showing a USB port. If it's the latest technology would that be fast enough to stream data for such an accessory?

http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/PSVITATV_Rear.jpg

Even USB 2.0 would be more than fast enough.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #15 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully they will release such a thing then for the Japanese marketplace. I'm sure there's no chance at all for a North American release if they did since the PSP is essentially defunct in North America.

But hopefully it would work on the North American PS Vita TV as well for those willing to import.
post #16 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I want one, but I want to wait for the first revision. I'll probably get the 2000 a few months after release, I have a few PSP games to catch up on. (My PSPs are all portable emulators now running ancient firmware)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #17 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

First post summary updated.

post #18 of 132 Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Might want to clarify that it only plays downloadable Playstation and Playstation Portable games that are available via the Playstation Store and only those that are compatible with the Vita. Someone could misinterpret just what it is that you mean when you say that it plays PS1 & PSP games.

Some things I'm curious about for the Vita in general with its PSP compatibility are if Resistance Retribution can still talk to a Playstation 3 running Resistance 2 via WiFi for the extra content and full dual analog controller support and if MP3 custom soundtrack support works in games like Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars when running on a Vita. Anyone happen to know?

"PS Vita can be used as a controller for some Wii U like functionality"

What's this in reference to? Are you saying that you can link a Vita handheld to the Vita TV and utilize it as your controller while also outputting the video to the tv screen?
post #19 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I think this is an excellent idea. Sony is creating an ecosystem of hardware that all live off each other, providing a multiple of entertainment possibilities. I don't plan on buying the PS4 at launch( still working my way through PS3/360 backlog), but this Vita TV is damn tempting( hopefully Sony brands it TVita, I mean it's obvious, right?). While the wife is getting her nightly fix of HGTV, or my kid is watching some cheesy Nickelodeon show, I can be running Vita games natively through my second little 26" tv in the computer room. Or, once I've done my duty for the night cool.gif and the wifey is fast asleep, I can play a little Vita off the bedroom TV. And then, I can take that Vita game,along with the memory card, and take the experience on the go on my regular Vita. Once PS4 is in the house, and the main TV is again being occupied, stream my PS4 games onto any of the other TVs in the house. With a family this functionality( though pricey) is a GODSEND. I am honestly as excited over this as I am the PS4 itself. What I'd love to see, is functionality put in place where in a multi-player situation, one player can be using one screen to themselves, and a second full-screen image can be sent to another monitor, eliminating that pesky split-screen action.

If you can't tell, I'm all over this.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #20 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

First post edited to show PS1 and PSP support is digital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

What's this in reference to? Are you saying that you can link a Vita handheld to the Vita TV and utilize it as your controller while also outputting the video to the tv screen?

I think he meant that you can Remote Play a Cross Controller game like that LittleBigPlanet DLC release where you played the main PS3 game on the big screen with your Vita while playing the sub levels on your touch Vita screen. In this case, the Vita TV gadget will stream a PS4 Cross-Controller game to an unconnected TV, and you can use your Vita to play that game on both the TV and the Vita screen depending on what the action requires. I'll edit that part/

post #21 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
My brain just exploded. tongue.gif

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #22 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I will get it to play PSP games on my TV.

I was going to use an emulator and play them on my HTPC but PSP emulator is still buggy
post #23 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
A list of Vita games compatible with Vita TV at launch has been posted on Japan's Official PS Blog. It's all in Japanese, unfortunately. But Gamespot , did highlight some games listed, though a few are available on the PS3 anyway:
Quote:
As the DualShock 3 does not feature PS Vita-specific features like the front or back touchscreens or microphone, only certain Vita games will be supported on the device. Sony's initial list includes Rayman Origins, Lumines Electronic Symphony, MotorStorm RC, Ratchet & Clank: Q-Force, Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD Remastered, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Dead or Alive 5 Plus, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

By translating the Japanese list with Google, I also spotted "Dragons Crown," "Soul Sacrifice," "Ragnarok Odyssey, " and "Persona 4 Golden," among the titles I recognized. The others are mainly titles exclusive to the Japan market, I believe, which I know gets many, many more releases than we do in NA, including a whole series of interactive graphic novel type games. And likely some of the other titles listed are PS1 or PSP games I'm unfamiliar with.
post #24 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Sony is going to have to up the activation limit for Vita devices. Though I love the oled on my current Vita, I will probably get the lcd version too (performs better in bright conditions). If I end up getting Vita TV, the 2 device limit just won't cut it.

Also, iOS 7 has controller support, so an Apple TV revision that uses iOS, is probably in the works. If that happens soon... good luck Sony!! Ouya is in trouble either way.

Looking forward to that 64GB memory card.
post #25 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like the touch screen workaround is only for the front touch screen and not the rear touch pad. So Uncharted as it stands won't work on this at least with a PS3 SixAxis or Dual Shock 3. But since this will have Dual Shock 4 support and the DS4 incorporates a touch pad, there's still some hope for wider compatibility that will allow such games to be played. And Uncharted due to its popularity could also always be patched to eliminate those issues.

I suspect Uncharted fans will get a dedicated console port of this Vita game one of these days though and make this moot. That and the new Killzone seem like obvious candidates to bring to the PS3 as new PS3 releases start to thin out down the road just like how PSP ports started to pop up back on the PS2 to bolster its lineup (And Sony obviously has fallen in love with updating 1st party games and releasing them on newer hardware in recent years). And Ubisoft is already taking that route with today's confirmation of Assassion’s Creed Liberation HD.

But there's bound to be a few worthwhile games here that require that rear touch pad functionality that won't have a console option. So hopefully the DS4 will resolve that.
post #26 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I found it odd that Dragon's Crown has the right stick mapped to the touch screen cursor just like the PS3 version and now we know why.
post #27 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Any chance this thing comes to the US before Xmas ? I would think there would already be an announcement if that was the case. I'm guessing this is an early 2014 product in the USA.
post #28 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
They probably want to make sure theirs enough stock for the Japanese market first to somehow make up for the fact that Japan is getting the PS4 late. Still, if their is plenty of supply, it would be smart for them to release it in December to get the holiday sales. They released the PS Vita in the US after Christmas and that was a very big mistake. They really should try to release the PS VIta TV early rather than later instead of being overly confident again. Definitely a smart move releasing this product. It's just too bad that it seams Sony is banking on PS Vita owners buying a $100 unit in order to use a controller and a TV when it could have cheaply been done to the PS Vita by having people buy an adapter instead. Sony is price gouging PS VIta owners too much as is with the memory cards. It would have been good to do both. Release the PS Vita TV and offer similar features to the regular PS Vita units.

I can easily see a lot of future PS4 owners wanting to buy this. Imagine going on vacation and you'll be at a hotel with good enough connection speed. Instead of bringing your PS4, you can bring this tiny object instead, hook it up to the hotel's TV and then play your PS4 games on it through Gaikai. Also good for people who wont have money to buy multiple PS4's or doesn't want their kids to be constantly disconcerting the PS4 from eighter the living room or the Parent's bedroom. This way, the kids could still be using the PS4 without moving it. It'll also be good for people who want's a certain PS Vita game badly but can't budget for a PS Vita and doesn't mind playing it on a TV. This way, they wont need to spend as much. It'll also get publishers to make more games for the PS Vita now that theirs a cheaper way for people to play PS Vita games. I do believe this will also get publishers to make sure their PS Vita games can also be fully playable on a Dual Shock 3/4 by releasing patches for current games and doing making controller only modes for future games.

Seams like the announcement of the PS Vita TV is already making developers willing to take more chances with PS Vita games.
Quote:
Hey folks, a lot of you have been asking for Half-Genie Hero on VITA. As it happens, the landscape of gaming has shifted somewhat today with Sony’s VITA TV announcement. In response, we’ve decided to port wfEngine to Vita as part of our “work-for-hire” business.

What does this mean for Half-Genie Hero? Well, it means that we can include both VITA and VITA TV as part of our $400K funding goal. It’s not a Stretch Goal, just part of the package.

Please help us spread the word, now that our message has changed. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero will now include “VITA & VITA TV” as an option for your platform of choice!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts
post #29 of 132 Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

You kind of forgot a rather major component that would be interested in this. The gamer that wants to be able to play Vita software on their HDTV which is the primary point of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Any chance this thing comes to the US before Xmas ? I would think there would already be an announcement if that was the case. I'm guessing this is an early 2014 product in the USA.

It was a Japanese centric show and we've only known about it for a couple of days at this point. So even if it does make it out over here this year, the lack of a concrete date or timeframe is hardly surprising.
post #30 of 132 Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
The Vita TV sold out preorders on Amazon Japan almost instantly, there is a huge demand for it overseas.

Sony needs to let Amazon US open preorders to see how big the demand is stateside.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page