PS4 on a projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone planning on kicking off next gen on a 100' + screen? I think projection gamers stand to benefit more than anybody from the new consoles, mostly because the overall increase in resolutions will bump up the fidelity of gaming on such a large scale.

I'm sure PC projector guys can vouch for the difference that 1080p (and beyond, for those with the hardware) can make when you have a really large image.

So, are you prepped and ready for Nov 15th, or are you planning to upgrade before then? My friend plays PS3 on a 120' Elite...

http://*******/w1Hvma

Stuff like God of War and Uncharted looks pretty stunning already @ 720p. My mind will melt when I see Shadow Fall on that puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 07:03 AM

Liked: 12
My PS3 is being projected onto my 98" Seymour AT screen and I already have a spot reserved for my PS4, can't wait. I agree with Uncharted and God of War. I'm playing through Last of Us at the moment and family members actually like watching me play as they say "it's like watching a movie". BF3 looks and sounds awesome already, looking forward to experiencing BF4 and KZ:SF.

PSN - Brohdah
post #3 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I won't be ready for release, but I'm planning a theater build for next spring/summer and it will have a 110" AT screen. Fortunately, my wife keeps telling me she can't wait until she's able to banish me to my basement. I can't wait either... biggrin.gif

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #4 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee View Post

I won't be ready for release, but I'm planning a theater build for next spring/summer and it will have a 110" AT screen. Fortunately, my wife keeps telling me she can't wait until she's able to banish me to my basement. I can't wait either... biggrin.gif

You've mastered the art of reverse psychology!

Teach me biggrin.gif
post #5 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee View Post

You lucky bastard. eek.gifmad.gif

Pure Envy biggrin.gif
post #6 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I've got a 720p projector and a 126" screen right now. I've been wanting to upgrade to a 1080p projector for a LONG time but haven't found a projector that does everything that I need it to do, for a price I'm willing to spend. I normally try to buy a projector in the $800 to $1300 ish price range, and I can't find one in that price range that will work with my low ceilings (8 feet 2 inches ceiling). There are a few projectors that would be absolutely awesome, but the offset is too significant for people with low ceilings. I have to ceiling mount whatever projector I get, and if the offset is too strong, then the bottom of my screen would be like inches off the ground, and that would look really dumb.

I'd prefer a long throw projector, and nobody seems to make those anymore either. I also convert my 16:9 screen into a 2:35.1 super wide screen for movies that are super wide. I use the poor man's zoom to zoom out the black bars from view. To do this properly, the projector needs to have a certain zoom range, and you also need a good amount of horizontal and vertical lens shift. There are some LCD projectors that come close to offering everything I want, but I prefer the look of DLP when it comes to projectors. I've always owned DLP projectors, and I've always been happy with them.

I'm going to keep looking out for my perfect projector. Eventually I'll find one that can do everything that I want it to...
post #7 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

double post
post #8 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I've gamed the past two years via PS3 and a Gaming Rig on a 110 inch screen with an Optoma HD33 1080p 3D projector and really couldn't see going back to anything smaller. Sitting 13 feet away from a screen that size not only gives a level of immersion small TV's can't provide, but actually makes gameplay a bit easier due to seeing more. Throw in the added bonus of 3D that works (screen size + immersion = 3D actually working/looking good) and I don't know why anyone who can accommodate it wouldn't go projector for their set up.

Just received my new Optoma HD25e projector today (my HD33 is in the AVS classifieds wink.gif ), a bit more brightness and contrast ratio never hurts especially with my PS4 just sitting in a warehouse in Asia somewhere wink.gif

A word of advice for those thinking of going projector, stick to DLP's. for the most part LCD projectors have almost criminal lag, definitely no fun when gaming.

PSN: futurecode
post #9 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Definitely ready to go. 100" screen, 1080 projector in my living room. Blackout curtains in effect.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #10 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I've got a 720p projector and a 126" screen right now. I've been wanting to upgrade to a 1080p projector for a LONG time but haven't found a projector that does everything that I need it to do, for a price I'm willing to spend. I normally try to buy a projector in the $800 to $1300 ish price range, and I can't find one in that price range that will work with my low ceilings (8 feet 2 inches ceiling). There are a few projectors that would be absolutely awesome, but the offset is too significant for people with low ceilings. I have to ceiling mount whatever projector I get, and if the offset is too strong, then the bottom of my screen would be like inches off the ground, and that would look really dumb.

I'd prefer a long throw projector, and nobody seems to make those anymore either. I also convert my 16:9 screen into a 2:35.1 super wide screen for movies that are super wide. I use the poor man's zoom to zoom out the black bars from view. To do this properly, the projector needs to have a certain zoom range, and you also need a good amount of horizontal and vertical lens shift. There are some LCD projectors that come close to offering everything I want, but I prefer the look of DLP when it comes to projectors. I've always owned DLP projectors, and I've always been happy with them.

I'm going to keep looking out for my perfect projector. Eventually I'll find one that can do everything that I want it to...

Bro, I have a Epson 8350 ceiling mounted on a 8' ceiling projecting on a 120" screen 11' away. Its 3LCD and I see no problems with lag. My friends always say it looks like a LCD television and would never guess its a projector.

http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/projector-specifications.asp?for-the=Home-Cinema-8350

Here is what my screen looks like to give you an idea.

BTW my PS3 is hooked up to this and The Last of Us was intense! Cannot wait for the PS4.
post #11 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Bro, I have a Epson 8350 ceiling mounted on a 8' ceiling projecting on a 120" screen 11' away. Its 3LCD and I see no problems with lag. My friends always say it looks like a LCD television and would never guess its a projector.

http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/projector-specifications.asp?for-the=Home-Cinema-8350

Here is what my screen looks like to give you an idea.

BTW my PS3 is hooked up to this and The Last of Us was intense! Cannot wait for the PS4.

I've just never been a fan of LCD projectors. I know that LCD projectors have improved considerably over the years, but all I've ever owned is DLP projectors. I'm used to DLP, and tend to prefer DLP. Also, I'm not sure if the 8350 has enough lens shift for people that do the Poor Man's Zoom trick for 2:35.1 movies.
post #12 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

It actually has allot of lens shift IMO. I believe in reviews that's what the 8350 is known for. If you live near GA/AL (I live on the border near the Chattahoochee) I could give you a demo.
post #13 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I've been building my projector setup for awhile now.. only a 720P projector but until the 1080P projectors come down a little bit more I'm fine with this now, for the time being I've been playing a few games on it trying to get the feel of it.. hopefully BF4 wont be too much to take in at 120" Took me awhile to get used to infamous 2.
post #14 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

It actually has allot of lens shift IMO. I believe in reviews that's what the 8350 is known for. If you live near GA/AL (I live on the border near the Chattahoochee) I could give you a demo.

When I was more into the idea of 3D gaming, and 3D movies, I remember looking into the 8350, but there was something about the 8350 that made it not an ideal projector for my situation. I don't remember what it was, but I thought that it had something to do with not having enough horizontal lens shift for the Poor Man's Zoom trick, but it could have been some other issue.
post #15 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

When I was more into the idea of 3D gaming, and 3D movies, I remember looking into the 8350, but there was something about the 8350 that made it not an ideal projector for my situation. I don't remember what it was, but I thought that it had something to do with not having enough horizontal lens shift for the Poor Man's Zoom trick, but it could have been some other issue.

Maybe that its not a 3D projector?
post #16 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

This is straight from the manual about the lens shifting. Hopefully it will shed some light for you on a decision. Just trying to help.
post #17 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Currently running a 8350 with a 92" screen.

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
post #18 of 42 Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Will have a AT screen, panasonic 8000 and a PS4 all about the same time.
Never had a PJ or screen before and I never did upgrade to a PS3.
I can't wait.

Nov.14
post #19 of 42 Old 09-13-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I have a 101" screen and a 720p Infocus DLP projector. I already have a slot carved out for my new PS4 and bought an HDMI receiver for just that purpose (I was running Blu-rays over 5.1 discrete.) A few of my friends recently got the Epson 8350 and I am trying to justify the purchase, but it's probably a bad idea. It wouldn't surprise me if I cave by release day (or maybe an 8345.)
post #20 of 42 Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

What's the advantage of DLP vs LCD for projectors? Better blacks? Faster response? I'm thinking about saving up for one for next year, but I want the best for my money..
post #21 of 42 Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedders View Post

What's the advantage of DLP vs LCD for projectors? Better blacks? Faster response? I'm thinking about saving up for one for next year, but I want the best for my money..

If we are talking sub $2000 dollar projectors:

DLP'S almost always have better response time (less lag) than LCD's. Now we are talking milliseconds, so for some people (ie: single player or non competitive multiplayer) that lag can be a non issue.

DLP's do typically excel in 3D presentation too, usually much less crosstalk/ghosting that LCD's, but again, resultant may vary.

LCD's generally have a bit higher contrast and a big better blacks.

Probably the biggest difference is personal preference of "look". DLP's and LCD's both have a distinctive look and feel.

post #22 of 42 Old 09-15-2013, 09:19 PM

Liked: 123
Been rocking a 100" screen with a PJ for years already. Next-gen is just icing on the cake. smile.gif

The fact that the wife both bought the projector AND set it all up herself makes it all the sweeter! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #23 of 42 Old 10-09-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I would love to go projector, how much would I be looking at for an entry level setup? (need to know a target price so I can potentially plan it out)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #24 of 42 Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I would love to go projector, how much would I be looking at for an entry level setup? (need to know a target price so I can potentially plan it out)

It depends on what entrance you want to enter through.

You can get some older 720p projectors that throw a really nice picture for around the $400-$500 mark. But 1080p is worth it at that size, and your "go to" 1080p projectors from the heavy hitters like Optoma, Epson, Benq and Acer tend to come in anywhere between $800-$1600.

You'll also need a screen. If you go the DIY route and make one yourself you are looking at around $150 for screen material (ie: black out cloth), frame material and hardware. If you buy a premade fixed frame from the budget makers (they are really nice entry level screens) like Elite, Mustang, or Dalite, you are looking at $300-$500 depending on the size.

You also need an AVR and speaker set up, so that's a cost factor too.

So really, if you have sound already, you could come in at around $600 with 720p projector like an Optoma HD66 and a DIY Screen (check out carlofet.com), $1,200 with a 1080p projector like an Optoma HD25e and a Elite 110 inch fix frame screen.

post #25 of 42 Old 10-10-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I figured around $1,500 for everything in a 1080p build. (Including a basic sound system, AV rack, and additional monoprice cables) Makes more sense than waiting for the Sharp 90" models to come down in price and still spending 2-3x the cost of a projector for a smaller screen.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #26 of 42 Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I've seen great deals on 1080P projectors on craigslist for 500 (usually optoma) with little use, or check out best buy's floor models that are heavily discounted, well under a 1000.

There's a DIY screen section on AVS. The most affordable screen option is Do-Able screen from Home Depot for $20. End up costing 60 bucks if you make a velvet border.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #27 of 42 Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post

I've seen great deals on 1080P projectors on craigslist for 500 (usually optoma) with little use, or check out best buy's floor models that are heavily discounted, well under a 1000.

There's a DIY screen section on AVS. The most affordable screen option is Do-Able screen from Home Depot for $20. End up costing 60 bucks if you make a velvet border.

I was looking at an Elite pull down, that way if I move it is easy to take with me (moving a Sharp 70" cross country twice taught me that)

I will probably go with a headphone system over a full 5.1/7.1 setup, a Sennheiser 558 with a receiver that can properly drive it is my frontrunner. No worry about noise late at night this way and I still get high quality audio. Just got to find a decent receiver for it...

As for the projector, an Optoma HD25e or a close cousin will probably be my choice. Seems like a solid bang for your buck line.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #28 of 42 Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I was looking at an Elite pull down, that way if I move it is easy to take with me (moving a Sharp 70" cross country twice taught me that)

I will probably go with a headphone system over a full 5.1/7.1 setup, a Sennheiser 558 with a receiver that can properly drive it is my frontrunner. No worry about noise late at night this way and I still get high quality audio. Just got to find a decent receiver for it...

As for the projector, an Optoma HD25e or a close cousin will probably be my choice. Seems like a solid bang for your buck line.

Pull-downs and Motorized screens are good in theory, but unless you go the tensioned route (ie: much more expensive) then you rarely get a flat uniform screen which is annoying at best. I tried that route, just couldn't get over the pitfalls. A store bought or DIY built screen is relatively easily broken down if you need to transport .... definitely not as "kids gloves" as an actual TV.

Headphones are nice, but size it what "makes" a projector set up, and sound, both heard and felt, is paart of that size. ...... at least for me.

I love DLP's for movies and gaming. Just love that DLP look and the little less lag seals if for me. The Optoma HD25e is light cannon, very good for gaming.

post #29 of 42 Old 11-22-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My son is trying to connect a PS4 to an older 720p projector using an hdmi to dvi cable at the projector. All he gets is 525P. And it will not allow him to select the output resolution within the PS4--it remains on auto and the other resolutions are grayed out. He has done the same thing with xbox with no issues. Any ideas?
post #30 of 42 Old 11-23-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've used HDMI to DVI with my PS3 since day one so I assumed I'd be able to do the same when I get a PS4, but now that I started looking into it there are conflicting reports about the PS4 and DVI. Playstation support says flat-out it won't work.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5045
Quote:
Important: The PS4 can not be connected via component, composite, VGA, DVI, or any other non-HDMI method.

HDfury website seems to confirm this.
http://www.hdfury.com/hdfury-output-vga-component-hdmi-and-dvi-d-from-the-ps4/
Quote:
The current Sony PS4 FW1.5 is not compatible with early DVI-D(hdcp) implementation.

However I've seen random reports that it does work and it seems to work in your son's case but it won't pass an HD signal. Hopefully this is addressed in a firmware update soon.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page